facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: This Thread is:
Can become somewhat interesting 8 72.73%
Ajaira 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

This happens even after you have appropriate visa label. Can you imagine what will happen to you when you do not require visa label and you ought to travel to Bangladesh ?

Yes, traveling to/from Australia, you don't require visa label on your PP. They have your records on on-line. But when you will be passing BD immigration, the obvious question you will get is 'bhai, apnar visa ei to nai'

I had to fight with Australian immigration officer to convince him that my country requires visa label to let me in. (Kemne boli je, amader immi officer ra hoilo illiterate, tara passport e ronging poster deikhe manush charey) !

Old August 23, 2012, 08:56 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Speaking of airport, once this guy was lecturing me about colognes.

He: Bujhla miya, ei scent er original dam $100, ami kinsi $50 diya. Eto bhalo deal kothau paiba nah
Me: Toh bhai koi thika kinlen
He: JFK te ekta dokan ase. Nam 'Duty Free' Shop. Onek boro brand. Dubai Airport eo oder arekta branch ase.

Old August 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
The level of ignorance is quite alarming.

Let me give you another example of Immigration moment.

I was traveling to Europe early this year with my wife and naturally had 'Schengen' visa. The officer at the booth didn't know what Schengen meant and when he asked another officer who just happen to come to his booth for some other purpose, the reply was ' arey, eita Europe er ekta desh. Seal maira den'

Then the guy asks me, ' bhai, apnar to business visa, bhabire kon visae dimu' ??
Me : 'Den bhai, diya den tourist visa'r under e'
Officer: '' Thik ase bhai, diya dilam'

Where was this? In Dhaka? If so, why were they looking at your Schengen VISA? Or issuing you temporary VISAs for that matter, even if you weren't traveling on Bangladeshi passports?
Old August 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

^^ This was at Dhaka Airport. It was for their internal database, where they in put relevant information. You know you see them typing something in their computer and then take your picture with the webcam and then stamp the outgoing seal in the passport ?

The officer wasn't sure under what category he would record my wife's data as her 'profession' in the passport is student but she was traveling with me and I had business visa. So he wasn't sure whether to put her under business or tourist visa.

He was trying to find out where we were travelling to and wasn't sure what Schengen meant and unfortunately, even his learned colleague graciously informed him that it is an European country !!
Old August 23, 2012, 11:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I thought schengen was a country in china !

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old August 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
I thought schengen was a country in china !

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
ROFL. It's where they make the iPhones
Old August 24, 2012, 06:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

So a man bites a snake to death...in revenge. Would this qualify for a ?
Old August 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Survey: 51 percent think 'stormy weather' interferes with online cloud

One in five said they've faked knowing what the cloud is or how it works when they talked about it during a date or interview, and half said they suspect others are doing the same thing. And that 51 percent who thought storms might mess with the cloud indicates that plenty of people genuinely don't understand it — unless they were talking about Internet outages resulting from high winds
Old August 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Survey: 51 percent think 'stormy weather' interferes with online cloud

One in five said they've faked knowing what the cloud is or how it works when they talked about it during a date or interview, and half said they suspect others are doing the same thing. And that 51 percent who thought storms might mess with the cloud indicates that plenty of people genuinely don't understand it — unless they were talking about Internet outages resulting from high winds
Yet they're likely use some form of cloud service be it Gmail, Youtube or Facebook. Probably not the Google or Wikipedia type though.

Recently an "IT Editor" who "edits" a largely pirated, ad-centric magazine pandering to box-sellers not into reading much, referred to virtualization as "virtuous" computing, meaning skilled usage of PCs by highly skilled "computer operators". She started the 7 minute chapabaji with "amar drishtikon theke bharsuas compiuting holo ... "

She worked for me at PC World Bangladesh for 2 years before I fired her. I could never get her to read and understand a single article during that whole time
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 29, 2012, 01:37 AM

Whoa!!! Was not aware T-Mobile girl has gone all biker babe!

(I just saw the banner ad to the right of the report)
Old August 29, 2012, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark

You should be happy. Carly is Canadian.
Old August 29, 2012, 02:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
So a man bites a snake to death...in revenge. Would this qualify for a ?
Gross!

I've seen people do that right here in Bangladesh. Some teenagers in the River Gypsy community, boys and girls, bite the heads off of wild snakes just to show off. Their parents hate this not because of any inherent danger, but because the snakes have commercial value
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 29, 2012, 03:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark

It's been a while since she's like that. Gotta catch up man!

Keep it 100,

Roey
Old August 29, 2012, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Gross!

I've seen people do that right here in Bangladesh. Some teenagers in the River Gypsy community, boys and girls, bite the heads off of wild snakes just to show off. Their parents hate this not because of any inherent danger, but because the snakes have commercial value
You have seen it? Video it next time and upload it to YouTube please.

Thanks

Keep it 100,

Roey
Old September 4, 2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Senility Now

The Honorable Finance Minister Muhith's recent comments on the 4,000 crore Sonali Bank loan scam is yet another facepalm moment from the now veritably senile old man. Alas, poor Muhuth, I knew him yell.

In some Dhaka meeting he railled against the media for giving too much attention to the scam and accused them of harming the banking sector by publicizing it and tarnishing the image of the country. He said the amount was a trifle compared to the total amount of loans doled out by the bank.

Dear 'Economist' (and I am beginning to use this term loosely) Mr Muhith - let me do some math for you.

4000 crore takas = Almost 1/2 a billion dollars. Yes, you heard it right. Billion. As in 9 zeros. And dollars. Not Vietnamese Dongs.

As noted economist (I am not using this term loosely now) Debapriya Bhattacharya (distinguished fellow of the Center of Policy Dialog) commented - that is almost a quarter of the government's development budget for the poor.

So what should the media have done? Swept the crime this under the rug? My hats off to the press for persisting with this AND particularly the whistle blower who (see DS article of the day before) did what his duty was.

So Mr Muhith. Please wipe the drool off your cheeks, tighten your lungi, put on your chappal and head to your home and stay there. Enjoy your retirement.

Last edited by Zunaid; September 4, 2012 at 07:00 PM..
Old September 5, 2012, 07:16 AM
Cricket Savant

It has been profoundly disturbing watching him lose it like this. Single words repeated 3 to 5 times in a raised voiced accompanied by table banging make the nonsense coming out of his mouth absolutely heartbreaking.

Old September 5, 2012, 07:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

To be honest, I miss Saifur Rahman. No I'm NOT a BNP supporte, but I liked the way Saifur Rahman dealt with the media. He was also "one of them", but he was a renowned Economist.
Old September 8, 2012, 03:47 AM
Cricket Legend

till how long do we have to tolerate this...

Old September 8, 2012, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Until we are better than Australia. Yes, it is THIS simple. The reason the T20 ranking fluctuates so much is that there still isn't a statistically significant number of matches to make the algorithm stable. They should have assigned a lower weight to the delta and then reduce it when there have been sufficient number of matches. That they did not is the facepalm inducing thing.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:30 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Let us win this upcoming T20 World Cup and all these will be put to rest forever.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 8, 2012, 06:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Let us win this upcoming T20 World Cup and all these will be put to rest forever.
Insha Allah. Hear! Hear!

Old September 14, 2012, 04:55 PM
Cricket Savant

I discovered Psy-ience.
Old September 14, 2012, 06:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
...and how Canadian engineers are happy with a $35k pay and will jump on that job any time...and not Americans.
Kabir Bragging about salary.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Kabir Bragging about salary.
actually i think those immigration officers would have been right back in the days when dollars had value. Canada is expensive now if you take USD and go there... just few years ago conversion rate was 2 Canadian dollars for every usd. Now canada surpassed usd in valuation. that 35 k usd would be decent amount i suppose a decade ago, but not now.

If we compare the salary trend over past 10 years in canada and us, increase in american wage would not correlate with inflation/devaluatoin of dollars ... while CAD valuation stable.

this actually puts canadians with a decent job at a sweet spot to visit US. I am guessing their wage is much higher than us and with current value cad being higher than usd their purchasing power in US is massive...

Ppl would come to us from canada to buy stuff now, not to get jobs - it would be the other way, going to canada for jobs from usd. In that sense, it is us' interest to let through as much canadians as possible. What better way to have all these ppl shop in NYC - the mecca of shopping centers...
Old September 14, 2012, 08:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

I went to a shopping place in canada, never heard of them, picked up a pair of shoe, they said it cost 700 cad. I was kinda taken a back, I didn't belong in that store....

store looked similar to stores in nyc that sells 20 dollars shoes... no upscale feel to it.. So my conclusion was that regular canadians buy this type of shoes...:p.. store was so welcoming... i dont' really look like the kinda that have more than 20 bucks in my pocket. Good thing they didn't call the cops... thinking i went there to rob them..