facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 16, 2013, 07:41 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Jordan and India are among the the most racist countries in the world - a survey has found

Quote:
A fascinating map of the world’s most and least racially tolerant countries

Quote:
India, Jordan, Bangladesh and Hong Kong by far the least tolerant. In only three of 81 surveyed countries, more than 40 percent of respondents said they would not want a neighbor of a different race. This included 43.5 percent of Indians, 51.4 percent of Jordanians and an astonishingly high 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers and 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis.
Read more: Washington post >>

Old May 16, 2013, 08:11 PM
Administrator

I am not surprised. Have noticed this so much both at home and the extended version with the diaspora. C'mon we get racist at district level (Noakhailla oi, Pabnaia ei, Siloti oi), not surprising at all.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I am not surprised. Have noticed this so much both at home and the extended version with the diaspora. C'mon we get racist at district level (Noakhailla oi, Pabnaia ei, Siloti oi), not surprising at all.
Is not that worse than racism. Hating one of your own. Lately in London we have postcode gangs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6304345.stm
Old May 16, 2013, 08:17 PM

^^^ +1.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

we are DOOMED in another affair now
Old May 16, 2013, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Those of you who are expats and have Facebook go ahead and look at your and your Deshi expat friends' pictures. You would think they all live in Bangladesh. All parties, gettogethers, outings... It's all a sea brown.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:18 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I don't think Z is wrong though. I understand why people in a small country would be closed minded (although it's been proven wrong), but those that live in such multi-cultured countries don't have an excuse. The "fair&lovely" culture is very high among the highly educated Bangalies in the US. They all live in their own little desi-box.

Quote:
Those of you who are expats and have Facebook go ahead and look at your and your Deshi expat friends' pictures. You would think they all live in Bangladesh. All parties, gettogethers, outings... It's all a sea brown.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:09 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
This is a slightly misleading statement. It implies social gatherings that are being photographed are the only social interactions we have. There are more informal social gatherings that are not captured - a meal with just one family, hanging out at a coffee-shop with colleagues, students hanging out at the lounge or playing sports. All of these tend to be fairly diverse.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
This is a slightly misleading statement. It implies social gatherings that are being photographed are the only social interactions we have. There are more informal social gatherings that are not captured - a meal with just one family, hanging out at a coffee-shop with colleagues, students hanging out at the lounge or playing sports. All of these tend to be fairly diverse.
i think zunaid feels he is superior because his gatherings are likely a bit different/diverse than many of ours. everyone has their own bias like blah says.... that staement was his bias.

and having friends that all look like you do not make you racist....we are stretching the definition here to pure ridiculousness.......
Old May 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Another BS poll on Bangladesh. I wonder how they do all this survey. Just last month Pew Forum surveyed and WaPo published that 82% of Bangladeshis want Shariah Law. I really wanted to know what they were smoking? 82% is not even nearly close. 28% would be more believable. Its like they just pulled a number out of a hat.

Now another poll and we all go ye ye its true. Not saying, BD people are not racist..but can't be the most racist.

And boss, the regional sentiment (sylethi, noakhaila) isn't that strong comparing to other places. Just look at BPL and any team that had Shakib/Tamim had the most fans regardless of their background. Doesn't USA have more stereotypical attitude about north/south (yanks/rednecks)?

Maybe they made this survey by looking at Facebook pictures..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-and-4-charts/
Old May 16, 2013, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Did you read the article?
Old May 16, 2013, 10:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Yes. On Bangladesh --

In only three of 81 surveyed countries, more than 40 percent of respondents said they would not want a neighbor of a different race. This included 43.5 percent of Indians, 51.4 percent of Jordanians and an astonishingly high 71.8 percent of Hong Kongers and 71.7 percent of Bangladeshis.

Bangladeshis are racist in general. I am not denying that. Sometimes you hear awful remarks about blacks and other races. But I just don't agree with most racist.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

This is hard to swallow.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

If the question was

Do you want a certain neighbouring country (not naming) as your neighbour?

Majority of Bangladeshi would answer no.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:09 AM
First Class Cricketer

No doubt, our attitudes specially towards africans(not so much north africans - you can guess why) is disgusting.

But then again, you have to remember we're still fighting for half the population of this country to be considered equals, so aaro shomoy dite hobey, before we expand our horizons to the people of other countries and races.

Also this is a horrible point to make, but I don't think Bangladeshis are aware of 'political correctness' - Australians are pretty racist, but I think in the West people are now not only more genuinely enlightened but also more aware of the ramifications of what they express publicly.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiators
Australians are pretty racist
Not true.
Old May 17, 2013, 03:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup11
Not true.
Let me guess you live there and you've seen how wonderful and generous the people are? Your aussie neighbors invite you over for a beer and bbq every weekend and really they only lash out at the 'sub human' aborigines and those who refuse to assimilate?

-Until the 1970's the country had a white only immigration policy - that was the official policy of the freaking government.

-Pauline Hanson race baiting chaara aar kichu offer naa kore became a populist sensation

-Cronulla riots

Quote:
No, our real problem is the subterranean racism that goes largely unremarked upon and that we seem unable even to detect. Like the racism revealed by an Australian National University study, which found you're significantly less likely to get a job interview if you have a non-European name. The researchers sent fake CVs in response to job advertisements, changing only the name of the applicant. It turns out that if you're surname is Chinese, you have to apply for 68 per cent more jobs to get the same number of interviews as a Anglo-Australian. If you're Middle Eastern, it's 64 per cent. If you're indigenous, 35 per cent.

This is the polite racism of the educated middle class. It's not as shocking as the viral racist tirades we've seen lately. No doubt the HR managers behind these statistics would be genuinely appalled by such acts of brazen, overt racism. Indeed, they probably enforce racial discrimination rules in their workplace and are proud to do so. Nonetheless, theirs is surely a more devastating, enduring racism. There's no event to film, just the daily, invisible operation of a silent, pervasive prejudice. It doesn't get called out.

It's just the way things are; a structure of society.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/cur...#ixzz2TXFmWeEh
Quote:
The survey reveals that nearly half of Australians are freely admitting to be racist is some way, albeit more open racism towards Muslems than Aboriginals within the survey period - The few Australian media reporters that have picked up the story have been reading the survey with their usual prejudiced blinkers - All is fairly OK, apparently!

The survey of more than 12 thousand people is believed to be one of the largest ever. The 12-year study found some level of racist feelings against the indigenous people, as well as noted that half of Australians hold anti-Muslim views.
http://treatyrepublic.net/content/la...ans-are-racist
These were the text messages spread throughout the country leading up to the violence

Quote:
"Every ****ing aussie.Go to Cronulla Beach Sunday for some Leb and wog bashing Aussie Pride ok"
Quote:
"Just a reminder that Cronulla's 1st wog bashing day is still on this Sunday. Chinks bashing day is on the 27th and the Jews are booked for early January"

Last edited by Gladiators; May 17, 2013 at 04:05 AM..
Old May 17, 2013, 12:34 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

How's South Africa or Australia not blinking red? US is in good place, thanks to Cali and other normal states in the East coast and up North. Separate and you will find a different story.

http://users.humboldt.edu/mstephens/hate/hate_map.html#
Old May 17, 2013, 12:39 AM

Surveys Gone Bad - When "Yes" means "No"

… or, A Story of How a Coding C*Screw-Up Made Bangladesh One of the Least Tolerant Countries in the World. (Spoiler: It isn’t!)

Quote:
Thanks to the fact that both Max Fisher of WaPo and World Values Survey folks freely shared their sources, we can take a dive into the data that generated the map to explore thought #3 to our heart’s content.

The short answer is, yes, someone did fat finger this big time. “Yes” and “No” got swapped in the second round of the survey, which means that 28.3% of Bangladeshis said they wouldn’t want neighbors of a different race – not 71.7%.

26K Facebook likers and 2.5K Tweeters, take note.

http://sites.tufts.edu/inclusivecomm...-yes-means-no/
Old May 17, 2013, 07:44 AM

More supplemental data analysis on the Bangladesh survey: http://dreamofdata.blogspot.com.au/2...ot-racist.html

Quote:
Digging down further, we try to see if any other country outside of the top 10 had such severe increase in the percentage change. If we plot the latest year’s value on x-axis and earliest year’s value on y-axis for all 64 countries with multiple data point, we get a graph like the following. Only some of the countries were labeled here with country name and with the difference between earliest and latest year.

The graph speaks for itself. That point on the far right should not be there. I would definitely like to assume that the data for Bangladesh has some mistake in it.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:48 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
More supplemental data analysis on the Bangladesh survey: http://dreamofdata.blogspot.com.au/2...ot-racist.html
Even if the data is true, the number is extremely high for BD is for the fact that they do not know they are suppose to hide it even if that is how they feel about it. I can bet that is the case for many.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

i dont wanna a bangali as my neighbor, is that racist?

hell i dont even know who my neighbors are....and i dont care. but they know who i am though, they are so trigger happy to call police everytime i scream in my house...

i dont think bangladeshis are racist... i agree many dont even understand the concept of racism, which means, if u dnt know what racism is, how can u be racist...
Old May 17, 2013, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Good find! And I take back what I said and will do kan dhore otha bosha.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Good find! And I take back what I said and will do kan dhore otha bosha.
As long as there is an objective critique and "peer-review" of sorts that is done, I'll join you ...But we all have anecdotal evidences (there, thats my bit of intellectual laziness ).
Old May 17, 2013, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
As long as there is an objective critique and "peer-review" of sorts that is done, I'll join you ...But we all have anecdotal evidences (there, thats my bit of intellectual laziness ).
True. I take full blame on my intellectual laziness. I still think we are a racist lot. Perhaps for Bangladeshis perhaps the question could have been phrased differently - for Muslims, would you want a Hindu in your neighborhood, for Bengalis - would you want a Chakma in your neighborhood, you get my drift?