facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 17, 2013, 03:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCup11
Not true.
Let me guess you live there and you've seen how wonderful and generous the people are? Your aussie neighbors invite you over for a beer and bbq every weekend and really they only lash out at the 'sub human' aborigines and those who refuse to assimilate?

-Until the 1970's the country had a white only immigration policy - that was the official policy of the freaking government.

-Pauline Hanson race baiting chaara aar kichu offer naa kore became a populist sensation

-Cronulla riots

Quote:
No, our real problem is the subterranean racism that goes largely unremarked upon and that we seem unable even to detect. Like the racism revealed by an Australian National University study, which found you're significantly less likely to get a job interview if you have a non-European name. The researchers sent fake CVs in response to job advertisements, changing only the name of the applicant. It turns out that if you're surname is Chinese, you have to apply for 68 per cent more jobs to get the same number of interviews as a Anglo-Australian. If you're Middle Eastern, it's 64 per cent. If you're indigenous, 35 per cent.

This is the polite racism of the educated middle class. It's not as shocking as the viral racist tirades we've seen lately. No doubt the HR managers behind these statistics would be genuinely appalled by such acts of brazen, overt racism. Indeed, they probably enforce racial discrimination rules in their workplace and are proud to do so. Nonetheless, theirs is surely a more devastating, enduring racism. There's no event to film, just the daily, invisible operation of a silent, pervasive prejudice. It doesn't get called out.

It's just the way things are; a structure of society.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/cur...#ixzz2TXFmWeEh
Quote:
The survey reveals that nearly half of Australians are freely admitting to be racist is some way, albeit more open racism towards Muslems than Aboriginals within the survey period - The few Australian media reporters that have picked up the story have been reading the survey with their usual prejudiced blinkers - All is fairly OK, apparently!

The survey of more than 12 thousand people is believed to be one of the largest ever. The 12-year study found some level of racist feelings against the indigenous people, as well as noted that half of Australians hold anti-Muslim views.
http://treatyrepublic.net/content/la...ans-are-racist
These were the text messages spread throughout the country leading up to the violence

Quote:
"Every ****ing aussie.Go to Cronulla Beach Sunday for some Leb and wog bashing Aussie Pride ok"
Quote:
"Just a reminder that Cronulla's 1st wog bashing day is still on this Sunday. Chinks bashing day is on the 27th and the Jews are booked for early January"

Last edited by Gladiators; May 17, 2013 at 04:05 AM..

Old May 17, 2013, 07:24 AM

Gladiator,

I take issue with your post. You attempt to equate certain racist incidents and events to paint all Australians with the 'racist' epithet. That is unfair and misleading. While the Australians may have been more prejudiced and bigoted in their policies in the past, I am in Australia now in a society that is getting to grips with multiculturalism and it may be slow, but it is trying hard to shrug off its prejudices and racism. I don't deny that incidents happen often enough that portray the racism of certain people in Australia, but to imply that Australians in general are racist is wrong. It is hugely bigoted of you equally to try and stereotype Australia as a racist country.

Using your style of argument I'd be pretty justified saying "Islam is a religion of violence and terrorism"

And that Bangladesh is a country of "machli eating ganda people"
Old May 17, 2013, 07:43 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I will take this survey with a grain of salt. I do not doubt the outcome, but for most Bangladeshis living in Bangladesh, they do it for a lack of education on this matter. Simply put, no one ever told them that this is bad, and you are not supposed to think like that.

The N-words come to mind. They use it there regularly without ever knowing that its a bad word, or that they are not supposed to use it. They do not know the difference between the N-word and Black. If they are educated on the matter, my guess is, the numbers will change significantly.

Another word that makes me wonder is "upojati". Is it even supposed to be a word? We use it left and right, but I can guarantee, if I was a Chakma or Mog or something, I would not like to be called upojati. We are still the same nation, damn it.

The inter-country racism, that is completely a different matter though.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:44 AM

More supplemental data analysis on the Bangladesh survey: http://dreamofdata.blogspot.com.au/2...ot-racist.html

Quote:
Digging down further, we try to see if any other country outside of the top 10 had such severe increase in the percentage change. If we plot the latest year’s value on x-axis and earliest year’s value on y-axis for all 64 countries with multiple data point, we get a graph like the following. Only some of the countries were labeled here with country name and with the difference between earliest and latest year.

The graph speaks for itself. That point on the far right should not be there. I would definitely like to assume that the data for Bangladesh has some mistake in it.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:48 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
More supplemental data analysis on the Bangladesh survey: http://dreamofdata.blogspot.com.au/2...ot-racist.html
Even if the data is true, the number is extremely high for BD is for the fact that they do not know they are suppose to hide it even if that is how they feel about it. I can bet that is the case for many.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Gladiator,

I take issue with your post. You attempt to equate certain racist incidents and events to paint all Australians with the 'racist' epithet. That is unfair and misleading. While the Australians may have been more prejudiced and bigoted in their policies in the past, I am in Australia now in a society that is getting to grips with multiculturalism and it may be slow, but it is trying hard to shrug off its prejudices and racism. I don't deny that incidents happen often enough that portray the racism of certain people in Australia, but to imply that Australians in general are racist is wrong. It is hugely bigoted of you equally to try and stereotype Australia as a racist country.

Using your style of argument I'd be pretty justified saying "Islam is a religion of violence and terrorism"

And that Bangladesh is a country of "machli eating ganda people"
I thought we were speaking in relative terms? I said 'australians are pretty racist' Obviously Australia is not an apartheid state and things are improving all the time - australia is not the america of Martin Luther King.

The fact that thousands of people from the subcontinent are getting PR is yet more proof of this, but while overt displays of racism might be far and few, there is plenty of innuendo under the surface. I don't think I am alone in thinking australians compared to other 'western' nations are more racist at present, are they more tolerant than just about all their asian neighbours? Absolutely.

If you find my post bigoted ki aar kora. The whole premise of the thread was to point out nations that are racist - so I guess the thread itself is bigoted. We have multiple posters saying

Quote:
Banglatiger84

There is no way anyone is convincing me that Bangladesh is more racist than Ukraine or Belarus
So he is saying Ukrainians and Belorussians are racist - bigoted?

Quote:
mufi_02

Bangladeshis are racist in general. I am not denying that.
Bangladeshis are racist - bigoted?

Quote:
Dilscoop

How's South Africa or Australia not blinking red?

Quote:
al Furqaan

cuz Bengalis are pretty racist. But I don't believe that we're the most or 2nd most racist nation. I'm sure the Aussies and other white countries are up there.
and so on and so on...that's two posters other than myself(I believe they reside in the US, unlike myself - so more 'worldly' and possibly have a better world view to compare and contrast), who went out of their way to mention Australia.

We could all be wrong, after all apnara australian residents, but this is the perception worldwide along with crazy guys like the crocodile hunter rip
Old May 17, 2013, 08:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

i dont wanna a bangali as my neighbor, is that racist?

hell i dont even know who my neighbors are....and i dont care. but they know who i am though, they are so trigger happy to call police everytime i scream in my house...

i dont think bangladeshis are racist... i agree many dont even understand the concept of racism, which means, if u dnt know what racism is, how can u be racist...
Old May 17, 2013, 08:30 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Bangladeshis and racism? Oh please..

We are one of the friendliest nations on earth. Yes, in general some of us tend to stay away from African Americans. But its mainly because of trepidation than a racial hatred. In BD, many of us picture them living in the hood, robbing people, using vulgar language. That's the reason of this whole stereotype..

I agree with IDumb bro. We Bangalis probably don't even know what racism really is
Old May 17, 2013, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Nothing is black or white, but rather some shade of grey. All stereotypes have some truth to them. It's when you use these stereotypes to generalize that you're crossing a line and over to the racist side. Because not everyone from a certain ethnicity fits into a given stereotype associated with that ethnicity. In fact, sometimes members of other ethnic groups do a better job of fitting in.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:59 AM
Banned

Those who are mentioning Australia as one of the most racist countries in the world I request you come visit the country for once and then express your opinion. If you are building your opinion based on the history, every country populated by white people are guilty of the same. And if your opinion is based on some isolated news reports, again do a google search and you will find tons of similar reports on those countries. Also take our opinion in consideration those who are living in that country.

In my experience, the most racist are the Indian-subcontinental people and the Arabs. Look at the film industry of India and Bangladesh. The largest part of the population of these two countries are dark-skinned. But do you see their representation in the entertainment industry? Even the most educated guy looks for a 'Forsha' girl to get married. Marry a dark skinned African or Indian girl and take her to Bangladesh and you will see the reaction from the society. And this is just one aspect of our racist behavior (skin color) I am talking about.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Or a Muslim.

Just phrasing the question slightly differently you'll get a whole different answer.
One of my Best Friends, Khairul (I have mentioned his name here before....(poems) ) His neighbor actually came to him and told him how much he sympathized with him because that neighbor had heard some very insulting words from the neighbor's friend about how Muslims need to be kicked out of USA and all that. On top of that, one day, He was listening to Qur'an in his car and fell asleep with his windows wide open. a girl came up to him and told him how beautiful the recitation was(She thought it was music)...so there are many people in US who wouldn't mind having Muslims around as comrades/companions or neighbors.

Mind you one day My Boss told me that Will your God punish me if i held you hostage and not let you go pray??(If this is the concern of a non-Muslim for the fear of Allah, then how much should we fear Allah?) He felt guilty for not allowing me to go pray because we were stuck on something and....One of my closest neighbor in CT, She is a Catholic Priest/Nun would always give us a ride to the supermarket back in the days when our family didn't have a car and my mom would always send her Bangladeshi food on pretty much any occasion or lack thereof prepared by my mother and she loved it even though it was a little spicy for her.

I don't make these stuff up(neither from the rear or front end) These things happened in real life

There are plenty of People in America who would not mind at all with Muslims around, provided that Muslims actually fulfill the right of Islaam, to practice it properly. By Allah's infinite grace and mercy, I have been blessed enough to witness many people enter into the fold of Islaam before my very own eyes.
Old May 17, 2013, 09:33 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

The definition of racism is different in the East. When it was asked, do you want a neighbor of different race, maybe India/Myanmar/Pak/SL came to mind. BD is one of the most homogeneous nation on planet, with 98% of people being Bangalis. So we just have no experience living with non-Bangalis. The interactions with local indigenous people (chakma etc.) are very minimal.

That being said, it is hard to identify race in Indian subcontinent. Is Punjabi/Tamil/Bengali different races or just a same one?
Old May 17, 2013, 11:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

Any dark skinned person who has lived in Bangladesh will testify to the amount of racism present there... parents prefer one child to another if they have fair skin... african (black) foreigners are usually treated like peasants while white guests are treated like royalty... Years of living outside Bd, no one has ever told me you would look good only if you had light skin.. or ask me how did you come out that way (dark).....
Old May 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLara7
Any dark skinned person who has lived in Bangladesh will testify to the amount of racism present there... parents prefer one child to another if they have fair skin... african (black) foreigners are usually treated like peasants while white guests are treated like royalty... Years of living outside Bd, no one has ever told me you would look good only if you had light skin.. or ask me how did you come out that way (dark).....
this post here proves that even many on this forum do not understand what racism is or confuses it. how is it that lighter skinned sibling getting better treatment racism? favoritism perhaps.

it has to do with the perception of what constitute good looking. and news flash, good looking ppl get superior treatment anywhere in the world regardless of race.....

and i think you are going a little overboad with your other non substantiated claim..... I have personally seen how black are treated, same as how other foreigners are treated, with curiosity. I have a relative that got married in bd who had a guest travelled from US to BD for the wedding. she was treated decently i think. everyone one was proud that an AMERICAN came to the wedding from that far.....

listen would you hear few words here and there that may seem racist or outright racist in other cou tries - yes but are they from "hatred" or from lack of awareness, education, or just from plain insensitiveness... i think latter.

i am gonna give you an example of this insensitiveness... when i was teen, i visited village where one of my parents grew up. i was taking few pictures of some pond, patty fields... generally few kids were all happy and excited to be with me and then this elder lady passing by, seeing this, made a comment like in crude bangla that translates to "show off". i later had my camera stolen as well. my cousins were surprised that i was more upset about the comment than my stolen camera..... but then they made me realize these types off hand comments are very common in bd.... 99 ppl were very hospitable to me, 1 poor miserable lady that i dont give a f... about made a stupid comment... and i was focusing on that, skewing my thoughts....

so i think sometimes bangalees are insensitive and lack proper demeanor ..... and many comments regarding black ppl can fall in that category but i dont think anyone is going out of their way to form a hate group :p
Old May 17, 2013, 01:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu

The N-words come to mind. They use it there regularly without ever knowing that its a bad word, or that they are not supposed to use it.
This is so true! I used to get called that name when playing basketball or wearing my sports franchise jerseys, or sporting the crew cut. They just want to brand or label anything that they don't understand.
Old May 17, 2013, 02:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

I think most human beings regardless of creed, nationality, race, or religion are bigoted. One only has to look around at all the ideologically driven violence around the globe to understand that. Violence need not be limited to tangible damage of property or lives either. Even a bigoted op-ed piece in a newspaper can count. Its precisely this reason that I disagree vehemently with atheists who purport that in a godless world, people would magically not have any bigotry when the truth is they'd be just as bigoted.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 17, 2013, 02:40 PM
Cricket Legend

finally after 3 years al furqan said something interesting..... i somewhat agree with that cooment.... it took only 4 years...for me to agree with you..
Old May 17, 2013, 03:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
finally after 3 years al furqan said something interesting..... i somewhat agree with that cooment.... it took only 4 years...for me to agree with you..

shur ta ekhane ektu tulo...tuloto...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old May 17, 2013, 08:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Not surprised. Bangalis get very racist at times.

Old May 17, 2013, 08:49 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

So this survey is wrong.I say we lock the thread and move on.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
I think most human beings regardless of creed, nationality, race, or religion are bigoted.
Well, humans are inherently bad. Everyone in this world is a hypocrite.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Well, humans are inherently bad. Everyone in this world is a hypocrite.
i think humans are inherently good but sometimes we do bad things for selfish reasons or for survival advantage.

there are more good in this world than bad thats why we are still here.... and we are called human and not animals.... thats why we raise money for victims, we feel bad for ppl we dont know...

al furqan made an interesting comment not necesssatily a true comment.

and we are complex, and girls are even more complicated, so i dont think one sentence is gonna define what we are.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
i think humans are inherently good but sometimes we do bad things for selfish reasons or for survival advantage.

I think humans are neither good or bad, because "good" and "bad" are artificial, moral, man-made concepts that are subjective to each individual. People who are morally bankrupt truly believes in their cause as much as people who measure others with their own, supposedly higher, moral compass.

Since morality (good and bad) are man made concept, they tend to be subjective. Just like the quality of fashion, beauty, art tends to be subjective; as their level of purity can differ from person to person.

You can have someone like me who doesn't support death sentence no matter what, but at the same time I can write something like "I don't care how many HI people died, since they caused so much destruction and damage." I can do this because, like everyone else, I measure my morality with my own biased standard. Its very difficult to always be aware of your own bias and apply your morality equally to everyone.

When I was in NY I made a conscious decision to stay away from bangladeshi community, its not so much because I had a problem with BD community, its because I thought that the best way to quickly understand, learn and assimilate with this new culture is to spend more time with them and less time with my past culture. There was certain truth to it, because I have seen bengalis in NY living their entire life there without learning, understanding or respecting the local culture.

But if we flip the switch and lets say a white family refuses to stay in a black neighborhood, not because they have anything against black people, but they want to live with people they can relate to (talk the same way, eat the same food, dress similar and so on). I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but most people will probably call them racists, and judge them with their own moral standard.

tl;dr: morality is man-made, subjective. People are inherently bias (not good or bad). Things are not always black and white.

Last edited by Blah; May 18, 2013 at 04:52 AM..
Old May 18, 2013, 01:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah

But if we flip the switch and lets say a white family refuses to stay in a black neighborhood, not because they have anything against black people, but they want to live with people they can relate to (talk the same way, eat the same food, dress similar and so on). I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but most people will probably call them racists, and judge them with their own moral standard.

bad example, i dont think anyone will call them racist. but thanks for ur thoughts. not bad.
Old May 18, 2013, 01:43 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Like he India is in ALL CAPS. Lol