facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Will the BPL be good for our long-term cricket development or not?
Yes, it will be beneficial 29 65.91%
No, it will be detrimental 2 4.55%
It will be mixed 9 20.45%
Too early to tel 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Overall, is the BPL a good idea?

It seems the BPL is a "success" so far. I did not expect BCB to be able to pull off a tournament of this scope at all, and on such short notice. Apart from the quality of the cricket itself, I don't see any way in which its an "inferior" brand to the much hyped IPL.

The tournament will obviously raise money for the BCB, but will that be put to good use to fix our "infrastructure?" The personal wealth's of almost all our national cricketers will increase to proportions that they could not have imagined even a year ago. Just to put it into perspective, while IPL paydays remain a far cry, each of our 6 icons will be earning more than quadruple the average American's yearly salary for 3 weeks of work!

Will the BPL detract from our Test performance?

Initially, I thought so. However, if you look at the facts, it almost certainly will not have any negative effects. And it can only help. But it shouldn't hurt.

Motivation is the key element here, and many times I feel our players aren't motivated to perform at the highest level. But lets remember back to when Ishant Sharma - a generally useless limited overs player - got a $900,000 bid not too many years ago. This was based solely on his performances as a Test player. It may not make sense to pick T20 players based on Test performance, but often its less about getting the best player and more about getting the most marketable player. In short, I think our players will wan to perform well at Test and ODI level in order to secure the biggest payout of all: a huge BPL contract.

In terms of skill level, I think this tournament will do well to provide our ODI and T20I sides with some big hitters which we sorely lack. This will only make our limited overs teams better. Bowler will be forced to think more, and batsman who can hit without getting out will be found. Confidence to hit big might infect the likes of Naeem Islam and some other once galant, now wussy players.

So overall, what do you think?

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
In terms of skill level, I think this tournament will do well to provide our ODI and T20I sides with some big hitters which we sorely lack. This will only make our limited overs teams better. Bowler will be forced to think more, and batsman who can hit without getting out will be found. Confidence to hit big might infect the likes of Naeem Islam and some other once galant, now wussy players.
What's that? Asaad turned into a believer? Chuckle, chuckle.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
What's that? Asaad turned into a believer? Chuckle, chuckle.
Well it turns out I was wrong. Partly. T20 does entail some skill, especially for bowling. Batsman tend become more like baseball sluggers, although anyone who can play proper shots and score runs at a quick clip is superior. Bowling in T20s requires a lot of skill, not to pick wickets but to bowl economically. I think both things are crucial to ODI success, as the game is now played.

T20 as a format is still pretty pointless, IMHO. Cricket was meant to be a long "boring" game, one that tested patience and perseverance. ODI cricket is short enough.

But I'm all for T20 entertainment as long as we don't lose focus on the bigger picture (Tests and ODIs), and if all this money can be put to good use, then I'm its biggest supporter!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Many of us have already discussed on the same topic.

BPL's effect on our total cricket- Your thoughts
Old February 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Many of us have already discussed on the same topic.

BPL's effect on our total cricket- Your thoughts
There - I said what I thought, there.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
Administrator

I am of the contrary opinion that the bastard child of cricket is the ODI. That shall die off and we will be left with Tests and T20s. T20s is not just hit and miss cricket - if it were Bangladesh would be dominating the T20 leagues. You have alluded to the skills bowlers need, batsmen too need to be solid - you can't always score boundaries. To be competitive, you HAVE to learn to run between wickets. Just one boundary and rest singles or doubles - and you start seeing double digit run rates. All T20 did was cut out the boring middle part of ODIs. The test of patience in Tests will still remain.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:43 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

BPL is a great idea in my opinion.
But the key point will be the continuity.
We wont be able to reap the goodies if this is just a one time hoopla.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 14, 2012, 12:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

It's a Fantastic idea. And if any format has to die over time, that will be ODI for sure. T20 is here to stay. I mean you can't kill a format, that gives you the majority of your money, its popular and its a format friendly to spread cricket. What else you need to survive? Test cricket is pure cricket and it promotes skills. ODI is the khichuri of Test and T20. So T20 will always have an upper hand if it has to ever fight with ODI for survival.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shiv Chanderpaul

I thought it will be mixed....

Young Bangladeshi players can only benefit from playing alongside more experienced internationals, and it should improve their 20/20 cricket. But unless Bangladesh has a strong domestic three-day and four-day tournament, we could see more Test batsmen committing suicide at the crease.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivfan
I thought it will be mixed....

Young Bangladeshi players can only benefit from playing alongside more experienced internationals, and it should improve their 20/20 cricket. But unless Bangladesh has a strong domestic three-day and four-day tournament, we could see more Test batsmen committing suicide at the crease.
Well said Shivfan.

That's my concern too. Besides T20, we need a longer version tournamnet in every part of Bangladesh on a regular basis if we want to take the advantage of T20 IMHO.
Old February 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
Banned

BPL seems like a practice session for WI and PAKi players
Old February 14, 2012, 08:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

BPL is a brilliant idea as far as WI & Pak cricket is concerned.
Old February 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

It's too early to talk about the BPL...so far so good...Murali praised about it!
Old February 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I am the lone wolf here. I see what you don't see.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:08 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I am the lone wolf here. I see what you don't see.
sobai'r to ar bagher chok nai apnar moto
Old February 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

BPL's purpose is to provide an entertaining league that will increase the fan base and make professional cricket an lucrative career choice for the talented ones (and some not so talented).

The immediate success of BPL is going to be based on fan excitement over cricket and improvement in domestic player performance at the T20 level.

Success in terms on national team will still be the responsibiilty of the board, the coaches and the players. It would be wrong to either fully credit or blame BPL for that.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
It seems the BPL is a "success" so far. I did not expect BCB to be able to pull off a tournament of this scope at all, and on such short notice. Apart from the quality of the cricket itself, I don't see any way in which its an "inferior" brand to the much hyped IPL.

The tournament will obviously raise money for the BCB, but will that be put to good use to fix our "infrastructure?" The personal wealth's of almost all our national cricketers will increase to proportions that they could not have imagined even a year ago. Just to put it into perspective, while IPL paydays remain a far cry, each of our 6 icons will be earning more than quadruple the average American's yearly salary for 3 weeks of work!

Will the BPL detract from our Test performance?

Initially, I thought so. However, if you look at the facts, it almost certainly will not have any negative effects. And it can only help. But it shouldn't hurt.

Motivation is the key element here, and many times I feel our players aren't motivated to perform at the highest level. But lets remember back to when Ishant Sharma - a generally useless limited overs player - got a $900,000 bid not too many years ago. This was based solely on his performances as a Test player. It may not make sense to pick T20 players based on Test performance, but often its less about getting the best player and more about getting the most marketable player. In short, I think our players will wan to perform well at Test and ODI level in order to secure the biggest payout of all: a huge BPL contract.

So overall, what do you think?
It is a great idea and will be benefiting in the long term.

Why this tendency to compare it with IPL? . BPL , IPL and other premier leagues can run parallely.

Test Performance needs to be improved regardless of BPL but sharing experience with international player will anything but beneficiary to Bangladesh's youth cricketers.

Bangladesh should take this event to promote their country and BCB should look to develop cricket in the country.

Everything said the challenge is sustainability. If BCB can run it for three years it would be considered as a great success.
Old February 17, 2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by senman
It is a great idea and will be benefiting in the long term.

Why this tendency to compare it with IPL? . BPL , IPL and other premier leagues can run parallely.

Test Performance needs to be improved regardless of BPL but sharing experience with international player will anything but beneficiary to Bangladesh's youth cricketers.

Bangladesh should take this event to promote their country and BCB should look to develop cricket in the country.

Everything said the challenge is sustainability. If BCB can run it for three years it would be considered as a great success.
As long as, they don't try to add teams - or try to kill the goose, I think this is almost a sure thing.

But we of course have a great tradition of shooting ourselves in the foot - but I think with the owners being successful businessmen, they'll make sure the BCB doesn't make stupid decisions that can hurt their product.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:00 AM
Test Cricketer

I am not bothering about anything, just want to have some income for BCB and with that make a stadium in each of our divisional town with facility like SBNC and in the next BPL (if they can continue), make the matches home and away. All the players will stay in their home division, practise with all the facilities and play their team matches in home and away basis.
when BPL is over, the national league will be played in those stadium, premier league will held in this six division like Dhaka Premier league, there will be CTG Premier league, SYL premier league, etc., it will give a boost to our cricket culture.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

simply: it is giving lots of opportunities to our boys to develop self confidence when they are playing with and against good express bowlers plus batsman and sharing experinces. This is making them habit of playing against such players with ease of comfort which is very important for self confidence.
Old February 17, 2012, 07:44 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib

BPL is a good idea and it feels good to see, local lads making a statement more often. Nai mama theke kana mama bhalo!

However, there are many people who do not like BPL and say its a crap tournament. Some pakistani cricket fans (no offence) lead that particular group.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:28 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Any1 who gives his best

I am quite pleased with the proceeding so far. Now our boys need to step up and that will just be perfect. I wish there were less Intl matches going on at this moment otherwise we could have seen more stars in BPL
Old February 17, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cricket Sage

The only thing we might get out of it is some decent T20 players, hopefully which will lead to decent T20 team since our current T20 sucks, and at best win some T20 games. But at the end of the day we will still struggle in test cricket and in ODI we will just be satistied with some win here and there.

We really do have double standard. When IPL started a lot of people including myself went what a bad idea for cricket and all this stuff. And now that we have a league of our own we/me turn the other way. When India was whitewashed by England and Aus how many of us said oh ya thats what happens when you focus too much on IPL and T20. I know I judged teams for picking up players based on IPL/T20 performance. BPL will not improve our status as a test nation. I think BPL is a great idea because we are so far behind other teams in T20, but I doubt it will lead to good result in the longer version. I would love it if our players prove me wrong.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

i had an english assignment at uni today on this topic, tao abar groupwork, it was soo much fun!
Old February 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
i had an english assignment at uni today on this topic, tao abar groupwork, it was soo much fun!
did the others in your group know anything about cricket? what was the conclusion you reached?

#OneTeam1Dream