facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 11, 2007, 11:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default what the tri series squad should be...

i hear that the tri series against bermuda and canada will be in the carribean. now given the proxiity of the WC (both in space and time), will BCB just haul the WC 15 as the tri series squad?

i think, that because money is not an issue, they should put only those batsman who are in the WC 15 in the tri series squad. both mashrafee and shahadat should be rested. they've played a lot of cricket, and we don't need them against the likes of the teams we are playing (hell our spinners beat zimbabwe). we cannot afford injuries to the only 2 pacers who can both bowl at 135 kph and take wickets. thus mash and rajib must sit.

so what should our squad look like? i propose the following:

1) SN
2) rajin
3) aftab
4) saqib
5) bashar
6) ash
7) pilot/rahim
8) farhad
9) sharif
10) tapash
11) rasel

x) mehrab
X) tamim

this would be an ideal 13 probables for this up-coming circus.

farhad and aftab could open the bowling against the likes of canada and bermuda. then the spinners are saqib, rajin, and ash. with mehrab chipping in when/if he plays.

we should rest razzak and rafiq as we will need them in the WC

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 12, 2007, 01:56 AM

It's an good opportunity to play Sharif again and see if he could improve his performance in international cricket and if he could swing the ball in WI's pitches as we all expect. If NOT, Rasel should be in the final WC squad.
Old February 12, 2007, 02:31 AM
Street Cricketer

shud give tameem a chance for sure.....................otherwise those selectors all dumm....ya i agree mash n rasell shud b rested..........we dontt want to miss mash like last time....taposh also deserve anotheer chance
Old February 12, 2007, 06:11 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

al Furqaan, the world cup squad which will be announced tomorrow will play in the tri series.

No experimentation within 2 weeks of World Cup matches.
Old February 12, 2007, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Should Allow The WC 15 to Play...................................
Old February 12, 2007, 08:07 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Many

yeah...definately the world cup 15 should play....whts the point of experimenting now :S
Old February 12, 2007, 08:59 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i think, that because money is not an issue, they should put only those batsman who are in the WC 15 in the tri series squad. both mashrafee and shahadat should be rested. they've played a lot of cricket, and we don't need them against the likes of the teams we are playing (hell our spinners beat zimbabwe). we cannot afford injuries to the only 2 pacers who can both bowl at 135 kph and take wickets. thus mash and rajib must sit.

we should rest razzak and rafiq as we will need them in the WC
So AF, you basically want our two striking bowlers and our two main spinners to take a break and miss the opportunity of practising at the very venues they gonna be playing during the wc??

C'mon man...expected much better from you...
you are certainly not a rookie...

may be we should cotton wrap all our top 15 before the world cup in case they do sustain any unwanted injuries...keep them at any safe deposit in zurich and pray to Nike (The Goddess of Victory) that they just gonna pop up during the match and win the games for us?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 12, 2007, 12:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
So AF, you basically want our two striking bowlers and our two main spinners to take a break and miss the opportunity of practising at the very venues they gonna be playing during the wc??

may be we should cotton wrap all our top 15 before the world cup in case they do sustain any unwanted injuries...keep them at any safe deposit in zurich and pray to Nike (The Goddess of Victory) that they just gonna pop up during the match and win the games for us?
are bhai,

the matches will not be at the same venue as our all important matches against india and SL...the tri series, warmups, and group matches will be in 3 seperate venues, AFAIK. but for sure tri series and group matches are in different venues.

plus, why play mashrafee? ok give shahadat a game, but why play mashrafee? so he can twist his 3rd knee?

razzak and rafiq can play, since spinners have low injury risk, but then again, rafiq is injured isn't he.

i stick by my post.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 12, 2007, 12:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
are bhai,

the matches will not be at the same venue as our all important matches against india and SL...the tri series, warmups, and group matches will be in 3 seperate venues, AFAIK. but for sure tri series and group matches are in different venues.

plus, why play mashrafee? ok give shahadat a game, but why play mashrafee? so he can twist his 3rd knee?

razzak and rafiq can play, since spinners have low injury risk, but then again, rafiq is injured isn't he.

i stick by my post.
I was going to comment on this after the 15 men squad announcement. However, I feel I need to support al Furqaan on this one.

Not only I would bench Mashrafe but also rafiq and SN. I would allow Rasel, Shahadat to open and Taposh to be the third pacer. Depending on the 15 men roster I would open with Tamim and Rajin or Mehrab Jr. and tamim or whoever is included as an opener.

This only for the Tri-series and to answer some questions. If Pilot and Mushi both are included then both play.

As for the warmup matches against NZ and Canada we go with the best 11.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; February 12, 2007 at 12:52 PM..
Old February 12, 2007, 03:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Not only I would bench Mashrafe but also rafiq and SN. I would allow Rasel, Shahadat to open and Taposh to be the third pacer. Depending on the 15 men roster I would open with Tamim and Rajin or Mehrab Jr. and tamim or whoever is included as an opener.

This only for the Tri-series and to answer some questions. If Pilot and Mushi both are included then both play.

As for the warmup matches against NZ and Canada we go with the best 11.
Very much agree with you, only that SN should play in those matches as he still lacks in overseas experience. Also, if we are pairing him up with Tamim, it is important that we give them as many matches as possible to build a good understanding among them. If Tamim fails in those matches and we have to bring Rajin in warm up matches, Rajin should be ok as he is already experienced in West Indian condition and also with openning with SN.

Ashraful should be also rested for those matches as he does not do well against "choto dols".

So my team would be-

SN
Tamim (though I would prefer Rokon in his place, but that would be just a wishful thought)
Aftab
Mushfiq
Bashar
Sakib
Tushar/Farhad (whoever get selected. Hoping to see one of them keeping Mashud out of the squad)
Tapash
Razzak
Sharif/Rasel (whoever get selected)
Shahadat

Last edited by TheWatcher; February 12, 2007 at 03:20 PM..
Old February 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
Cricket Legend

There is no substitute for match practice and so our WC squad should play the tri-series.
Old February 13, 2007, 01:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

as far as i know..they are not playing in the same venues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney

Old February 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Quote:

1) SN
2) rajin
3) aftab
4) saqib
5) bashar
6) ash
7) pilot/rahim
8) farhad
9) sharif
10) tapash
11) rasel

x) mehrab
X) tamim
I agree with you on all counts (except maybe the Mashrafee, Shahadat thing).....For people who say we shouldnt experiment....This series is the best time to see if Rajin is back, rasel too. Cuz choosing either Tamim or Mehrab would be experimenting. Ive given up hope on Sharif though. Its also the time our players can hit themselves back into form. Great idea by BCB IMO. Im kinda uncertain on what to do if Rajin fails though, because Tamim deserves another chance....
Old February 12, 2007, 10:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

No questions - just send the 15 men squad that we're sending for WC. We should consider ourselves lucky to have a series in that area of this globe just before WC. I don't know what the team management thinks...but I think this is the perfect opportunity for our team to take advantage of the series, and adapt to the conditions there.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:03 AM
Cricket Savant

When is our squad leaving for the tri-series?

I would hope they pack their bags for a minimum of 40+ days!! For those who live in US can attest to the jetlags we get when we travel on 11/12 hours time difference. To some it takes a day or two and some a week or two. I pray Bashar don't fall asleep while batting and get runout.

Lets hope this is the best overseas tour we would ever have and can qualify for the second round.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Yeah.....They should definitely make it there early.......Kinda surprised there hasnt been much talk about it yet...Anybody know anything?Watcher?
Old February 12, 2007, 11:08 AM
First Class Cricketer

I don't think there is any tri series. This is what Daily star had to say...

Dilemma for Faruque
WC squad likely to be named tomorrow
Sports Reporter

The triumphant Bangladesh cricket team returned home today morning, only for a short respite before setting sail for the West Indies to play next month's World Cup.

Immediately after their arrival, the national selectors including coach Dav Whatmore and captain Habibul Bashar will sit to decide on the 15-member squad for the showpiece in the Caribbean which will start from March 13.

"We will meet tomorrow to decide on the World Cup team because there is hardly any time before the ICC deadline for the list," said chief selector Faruque Ahmed yesterday.

Bangladesh team, who have been pencilled in Group B along with India, Sri Lanka and Bermuda, is expected to fly for West Indies on February 20 to have a two-week camp before playing in the two lead-up games against New Zealand on March 6 and Scotland on March 8 both in Barbados.

The Tigers will launch their main campaign by taking on former World Champions India on March 17 before locking horns with 1996 champions Sri Lanka on March 21 and will round of their group fixtures by playing ICC associate member Bermuda on March 25.

Conquering Zimbabwe on their own soil was the main mission for Bashar's men although the just concluded trip was billed as preparation for cricket's mega event. And in the end they accomplished just that with a 3-1 series victory to maintain their recent supremacy over their southern African opponents.

Undoubtedly the 3-1 series victory not only relieved Whatmore charges ahead of the big task but also buried the bitter memory of their 3-2 series reverse in July-August last year. However, the manner of the victory failed to convince the selection panel boss.

"Winning is always important and the first-ever series victory in Zimbabwe is a boost for the team ahead of the World Cup. But I am not satisfied with the way we won the battle because it could have been much better had we completed it convincingly. What I honestly believe is that we need to prove that we are as good away as we are at home," said Faruque.

"We won the first match quite comfortably but lost the momentum in the second game to suffer a heavy defeat. We beat Zimbabwe in the last two games but not before we survived scares," he explained.
Despite the series victory the selectors will run the rule over a few debatable positions in the side and it is not unlikely that there may yet be surprises in the squad for the World Cup.

The former national skipper was reluctant to reveal anything about the selection but said that he was concerned about the opening slot as well the inconsistent performance of the top-order.

"I am really concerned about the opening batsmen's performance because in Zimbabwe they alarmingly failed to deliver. On the other hand nobody was inconsistent in the top-order," he said.

In four games, only the first match saw the opening pair of Shahriar Nafees (34) and Mehrab Hossain (12) reach double figure partnership as they put on 34. After two matches, Tamim Iqbal was drafted in place of Mehrab but it changed nothing as the openers continued to falter. Most worrying was the performance of Nafees who only managed one half century against his happy-hunting side.

There was good news though and the most inspiring outcome of the series might be the efforts of young wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim who justified the team decision of promoting him to the top order by making solid scores of 42 and 57 in the last two games.
His success has also put the selectors in a dilemma and the big question is whether they will rely only on the young stumper or go for both him and long-serving Khaled Mashud to avoid controversy. Faruque denied any comment on the issue but said that they have to extensively discuss with the team physio before deciding on a course of action for seaming all-rounder Mohammad Sharif.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheart
Most worrying was the performance of Nafees who only managed one half century against his happy-hunting side.
Looks like they have huge expectations from Nafees.....
Old February 12, 2007, 11:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheart
Bangladesh team, who have been pencilled in Group B along with India, Sri Lanka and Bermuda, is expected to fly for West Indies on February 20 to have a two-week camp before playing in the two lead-up games against New Zealand on March 6 and Scotland on March 8 both in Barbados.
The tri-series is scheduled at Feb 25th i believe.
Reaching on either 21st or 22nd would give the boys 3 days before they take on the home side bermuda.

It can still happen.

Feb 13th I think is the last day to submit the 15 man squad to the ICC. And two wicket keepers will be a waste of space. We could have another opener or bowler in that spot.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
The tri-series is scheduled at Feb 25th i believe.
Reaching on either 21st or 22nd would give the boys 3 days before they take on the home side barbados.

It can still happen.

Feb 13th I think is the last day to submit the 15 man squad to the ICC.
I thought that too, but what is more interesting is this part :

Quote:
before playing in the two lead-up games
Hes talking about Scotland and NZ here ofcourse.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:17 AM
Cricket Legend

I dunno guys.....This tri-series almost seems to be non-existent. Hardly anyone knows about it, let alone talks about it.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Looks like Mushfiq will be in the squad no matter what. The qustion is whether they bring Pilot with him or not. I say don't take Pilot for few reasons.

1. It will only create more pressure on Mushfiq.
2. Pilot is not a good teamman and he will take it personally if they go with Mushfiq instead of him and create some kind of drama.

Take Tushar in the squad. He will not only serve as a back up middle order but in case something happens to Mushfiq, we will have a backup keeper. I have no idea though how good he is behind the stumps.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Tri-series (Bangladesh, Bermuda, Canada), 25-28 February, Antigua.
  • 25 February: Bangladesh v Bermuda, Antigua
  • 26 February: Bermuda v Canada, Antigua
  • 28 February: Bangladesh v Canada, Antigua
Source: Cricekt Europe

Bangladesh / Bermuda / Canada ODI Tri-series (f)
25-28 February 2007 (dates tbc)Bangladesh v BermudaWest Indies(venue tbc)
Bermuda v Canada
Bangladesh v Canada

Source: ICC

Bangladesh / Bermuda / Canada ODI Tri-series 25-27 February 2007, West Indies
Source: Canada Cricket
Old February 12, 2007, 11:32 AM
Cricket Savant

1st tri-series in the history without a final match scheduled.
Old February 12, 2007, 12:50 PM
Cricket Sage

yea...in the warmups, we got with our full XI who will play india and SL

#OneTeam1Dream