facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 1, 2013, 11:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Good read? For the unindoctrinated?

Thanks for the amusement in your transparent brazenness introducing high doctrine as a treatise of unbiased exposition.

You might as well show us the lifetime BAKSAL membership card you carry in your wallet.

It's very disingenuous.
There is a difference between doctrine and indoctrination. Whether I carry a card or not - is both a stupid comment and just an attack. Shame on you for that - and that is your indoctrination. Get my point now?

Basically you are just brow beating it as if saying - you are the owner of truth and if I belittle the other guy - then I have proven its true. And for someone who doesn't even know the history of Baksal - you claim a lot of knowledge and vehemence. Based on what if not indoctrination?

Stop trying to claim who or what I am... if you can't make a point, Don't. What I am or not is none of your business - and you don't need to grandstand.

Old May 2, 2013, 02:31 AM
BC Editorial Team

You go Zsayeed! Proudly proclaim your fondness for the Baksal doctrine. Don't let a Super Mod browbeat you.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:23 PM
BC Editorial Team

In same vein, I urge all to view our honorable Prime Minister Hasina's interview on CNN with Amanpour at 3PM & 5PM US Eastern Time (y'all can do the math). From the preview I've gotten, Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan should use this video for a PhD course on how the De Nial is not just a river in Egypt.
Old May 2, 2013, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

The Shame of the Country award goes to Dr. Sheikh Hasina.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...try/?hpt=hp_t1
Old May 2, 2013, 07:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhurr
No.

I say this as someone who really doesn't care much for Bangladeshi politics and whose family loves and supports AL.

There is no way on earth AL will win the next election.

A couple of days ago, I was on a rickshaw. The rickshaw puller turns to me to inform me that the "Awami leader Rana" had been arrested earlier that day, and then he tells me that whenever AL comes to power, they always bring bad luck for the country. True or not, that is the perception people have of AL's rule.

The fact that there are thugs running rampant every time AL comes to power (Rana in Savar, Shamim Osman in Narayanganj, Biplob in Lakshmipur, the Jagannath University Chhatra League thugs who killed Biswajit - just to name a few of these thugs) make people think that AL is a party of thugs. Everybody in Bangladesh (except for blind partisans) think of BNP as the party of corruption. After four and a half years of thugs, if one is left to choose between a party of thugs and a corrupt party, most non-partisan people would rather vote for the people that are corrupt. If the country is ruled by corrupt people, you will get one less hour of electricity per day. If the country is ruled by thugs, you might not be left alive to enjoy whatever electricity is provided.

In spite of all the good that the PM (and her party) has achieved, all that people will remember about this AL term are Rana Plaza collapse, Biswajit killing, Hallmark scam, share market disaster and Padma bridge scandal. All these point to our PM's biggest weakness: she is loyal to a fault. Rana Plaza? Rana (and other thugs like Shamim Osman) shouldn't be allowed to don the AL's garb, but they do. Why can't the PM stop this at the grassroots level? Why doesn't she say that she won't tolerate thugs in her party? Biswajit killing was done by Chhatra League thugs. Again, why can't she say "no" to these thugs? Hallmark scam was perpetrated because these government banks had directors who were appointed based on their political identity. Why? Share market scam happened because of people like Salman F. Rahman; the PM knew this and didn't do anything to punish them, because Mr. Rahman happens to be her advisor. Padma bridge scandal wouldn't have happened if Abul Hossain knew that Sheikh Hasina would never have his back if he got caught. Sheikh Hasina went on to call him a patriot ("desh premik"). Why? Because he is an Awami Leaguer. The PM really needs to see that these people that she is loyal to just because they call themselves Awami Leaguers aren't loyal to the party; they are loyal to themselves only.

Anyway, there's no way AL will win the next election if it is a fair one. That means BNP will win by default, because there's no third option in our politics.

Some of you may disagree with me; the fact remains that almost all of you live abroad, and have very little idea about what's happening in Bangladesh. Even the ones who live here are hardly in touch with the reality in this country. The more I read these threads in BC, the more I realize that that's the case. Anyway, I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so grouphug.

TLDR: AL will lose the next election.
Nice analysis. I think one of the main reason AL lost in 2001 was the deterioration of law and order situation.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Just watched the interview with Amanpour. The way she addressed some of the points in the beginning is somewhat expected and acceptable...i mean you can't expect much better from a Bangladeshi politician. But when it came to discussing the issues of trade unionist Aminul Islam and CNN/other news agencies being prevented from covering the news on ground zero, she really blew it. She got overly defensive and retorted back with a shockingly "BAKSAL"-ian tone.

I feel it would've been in the best interests of her party and the image of the country to admit short comings and mistakes and focus more on remediation measures than denying the truth outright and responding with blatant lies.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:09 PM
BC Editorial Team

We have free press. No vendettas. And rule of law, as the presence of the international war crimes tribunal clearly illustrates. All Hail Hasina!
Old May 2, 2013, 09:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anher
The Shame of the Country award goes to Dr. Sheikh Hasina.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...try/?hpt=hp_t1
Quite embarrassing to watch...

One argument I hear these days is that: AL is the lesser of the two evil. I think this is a terrible argument to make, essentially be satisfied with the lesser of the two evil and be happy that the other party is not in power...
Old May 2, 2013, 09:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Just watched the interview with Amanpour. The way she addressed some of the points in the beginning is somewhat expected and acceptable...i mean you can't expect much better from a Bangladeshi politician. But when it came to discussing the issues of trade unionist Aminul Islam and CNN/other news agencies being prevented from covering the news on ground zero, she really blew it. She got overly defensive and retorted back with a shockingly "BAKSAL"-ian tone.

I feel it would've been in the best interests of her party and the image of the country to admit short comings and mistakes and focus more on remediation measures than denying the truth outright and responding with blatant lies.
I am always confused as to why BD politicians never learn this.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
I am always confused as to why BD politicians never learn this.
Because they are politicians:

a seeker or holder of public office, who is more concerned about winning favor or retaining power than about maintaining principles.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhurr
No.

I say this as someone who really doesn't care much for Bangladeshi politics and whose family loves and supports AL.

There is no way on earth AL will win the next election.

A couple of days ago, I was on a rickshaw. The rickshaw puller turns to me to inform me that the "Awami leader Rana" had been arrested earlier that day, and then he tells me that whenever AL comes to power, they always bring bad luck for the country. True or not, that is the perception people have of AL's rule.

The fact that there are thugs running rampant every time AL comes to power (Rana in Savar, Shamim Osman in Narayanganj, Biplob in Lakshmipur, the Jagannath University Chhatra League thugs who killed Biswajit - just to name a few of these thugs) make people think that AL is a party of thugs. Everybody in Bangladesh (except for blind partisans) think of BNP as the party of corruption. After four and a half years of thugs, if one is left to choose between a party of thugs and a corrupt party, most non-partisan people would rather vote for the people that are corrupt. If the country is ruled by corrupt people, you will get one less hour of electricity per day. If the country is ruled by thugs, you might not be left alive to enjoy whatever electricity is provided.

In spite of all the good that the PM (and her party) has achieved, all that people will remember about this AL term are Rana Plaza collapse, Biswajit killing, Hallmark scam, share market disaster and Padma bridge scandal. All these point to our PM's biggest weakness: she is loyal to a fault. Rana Plaza? Rana (and other thugs like Shamim Osman) shouldn't be allowed to don the AL's garb, but they do. Why can't the PM stop this at the grassroots level? Why doesn't she say that she won't tolerate thugs in her party? Biswajit killing was done by Chhatra League thugs. Again, why can't she say "no" to these thugs? Hallmark scam was perpetrated because these government banks had directors who were appointed based on their political identity. Why? Share market scam happened because of people like Salman F. Rahman; the PM knew this and didn't do anything to punish them, because Mr. Rahman happens to be her advisor. Padma bridge scandal wouldn't have happened if Abul Hossain knew that Sheikh Hasina would never have his back if he got caught. Sheikh Hasina went on to call him a patriot ("desh premik"). Why? Because he is an Awami Leaguer. The PM really needs to see that these people that she is loyal to just because they call themselves Awami Leaguers aren't loyal to the party; they are loyal to themselves only.

Anyway, there's no way AL will win the next election if it is a fair one. That means BNP will win by default, because there's no third option in our politics.

Some of you may disagree with me; the fact remains that almost all of you live abroad, and have very little idea about what's happening in Bangladesh. Even the ones who live here are hardly in touch with the reality in this country. The more I read these threads in BC, the more I realize that that's the case. Anyway, I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so grouphug.

TLDR: AL will lose the next election.
I dont want to go into this stupid debate about who is worse... but to think BNP has less thugs than AL just goes to show your partisan bias. You can check the police records, or better check the archive of any decent newspaper in the country.. you will find your answer. Infact the law and order went so bad and it became so difficult to control the party thugs that bnp was forced to call the army for help (operation clean heart).

I can find a counter example against any allegation you make against AL and prove that BNP has done the same in the past.
You talk about Baksal, think about the farce election BNP held in 1996.
You talk about hallmark scam, try investigating the scams by Mamun (Tareq Zia's best friend) during BNP rule. Atleast the owner of hallmark is in jail now. Mamun was only taken to prison after 1/11
Abul Hossain is corrupt, but Nazmul huda (communication minster during BNP rule) was branded as the most corrupt after Tareq Zia. And not to mention just like Hasina thinks Abul is a desh premik, K.Zia thinks the same about his son and his minsters...

How about AL's most recent examples of "not accepting help" for the sake of national pride.... Well BNP refused free fiber connection for the sake of national security...

The list goes on and on...

I do hope u are also mistaken about BNP coming to power again...
Old May 2, 2013, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
I dont want to go into this stupid debate about who is worse...
And then you just did (quoted verbatim below). Several paragraphs of I have fewer thugs than you or my people took less bribes than your did. Pardon me, but your bias slip is showing.

If we spent less time defending the indefensible, we would be much better off.

Quote:
Ibut to think BNP has less thugs than AL just goes to show your partisan bias. You can check the police records, or better check the archive of any decent newspaper in the country.. you will find your answer. Infact the law and order went so bad and it became so difficult to control the party thugs that bnp was forced to call the army for help (operation clean heart).

I can find a counter example against any allegation you make against AL and prove that BNP has done the same in the past.
You talk about hallmark scam, try investigating the scams by Mamun (Tareq Zia's best friend) during BNP rule. Atleast the owner of hallmark is in jail now. Mamun was only taken to prison after 1/11
Abul Hossain is corrupt, but Nazmul huda (communication minster during BNP rule) was branded as the most corrupt after Tareq Zia. And not to mention just like Hasina thinks Abul is a desh premik, K.Zia thinks the same about his son and his minsters...

How about AL's most recent examples of "not accepting help" for the sake of national pride.... Well BNP refused free fiber connection for the sake of national security...

Old May 2, 2013, 11:30 PM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
I dont want to go into this stupid debate about who is worse...

Quote:
but to think BNP has less thugs than AL just goes to show your partisan bias. You can check the police records, or better check the archive of any decent newspaper in the country.. you will find your answer. Infact the law and order went so bad and it became so difficult to control the party thugs that bnp was forced to call the army for help (operation clean heart).

Old May 2, 2013, 11:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Wow, just saw the interview after waiting for it all day. Quite embarassing...mumbling, stumbling English, and poor Christiane almost did a facepalm on live TV!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 2, 2013, 11:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
And then you just did (quoted verbatim below). Several paragraphs of I have fewer thugs than you or my people took less bribes than your did. Pardon me, but your bias slip is showing.

If we spent less time defending the indefensible, we would be much better off.
I am not defending anyone... just stating one simple fact with examples.. the fact being "both the major parties are equally guilty of the same type of crimes".... I do emphasize on the underlined words

Secondly I do resent BNP and their ideology (extreme right and conservative) and I would always in principal support the liberal government in any country......

I am sorry, but I can also accuse you of bias given that you mostly choose to attack one party and not the other... As someone once said here, none of us are really neutral here..
Old May 2, 2013, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Wow, just saw the interview after waiting for it all day. Quite embarassing...mumbling, stumbling English, and poor Christiane almost did a facepalm on live TV!
WE should be more tolerant on language issues (after all it is not her first language nor she grew up speaking it). That being said, we have every right to berate her for the CONTENT and INTENT of what she said.

My face hurts.
Old May 3, 2013, 01:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
WE should be more tolerant on language issues (after all it is not her first language nor she grew up speaking it). That being said, we have every right to berate her for the CONTENT and INTENT of what she said.

My face hurts.
Thats what my dad said...can't blame her for her english since its not her first language. Plus there was probably a transmission delay as well. Although I did find her repeated "what did you say" at one stage amusing because its the same tactic I use to piss people off who are in authority positions and I can't directly give them the finger. Priceless.

However, as a card carrying ABCD member, ridiculous English whether it be from the chinese delivery man to foreign heads of state on CNN, amuse me to no end.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 3, 2013, 01:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

My face hurts.
Content and intent were to scrip as a politician. Politicians are whats wrong with politics no matter the aisle or the country. Overwhelming majority of US voters favor background checks for guns and the bill still can't pass. Because most politicians are in cahoots with the gun lobby. "Most gun owners are law abiding citizens..." blah, blah, blah. Well guess what, the Tsarnaev brothers were also peaceful college kids till they blew someone up and even the biggest whore on earth was born a virgin.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 3, 2013, 10:27 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
I am not defending anyone... just stating one simple fact with examples.. the fact being "both the major parties are equally guilty of the same type of crimes".... I do emphasize on the underlined words

Secondly I do resent BNP and their ideology (extreme right and conservative) and I would always in principal support the liberal government in any country......

I am sorry, but I can also accuse you of bias given that you mostly choose to attack one party and not the other... As someone once said here, none of us are really neutral here..

Ya Awami league is liberal, for the party thugs, not to the people, media or judiciary ..every machinery of the overset is run in a dictatorial manner and u are so happy to label it a liberal govt... O ya... Liberal in killing and looting...hahaha

Hasina exploiting hajj picture with a hijab for election is also liberal democracy ... Khek khek..hahah
Old May 3, 2013, 10:31 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:

My face hurts.
Why couldn't she use an interpreter, if her English wasn't good. And when she is confident that her English is ok with CNN, she needs to receive the criticism.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

the advantage for Hasina speaking in English was if she said something wrong she could blame it on her poor English.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old May 3, 2013, 11:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

Ya Awami league is liberal, for the party thugs, not to the people, media or judiciary ..every machinery of the overset is run in a dictatorial manner and u are so happy to label it a liberal govt... O ya... Liberal in killing and looting...hahaha

Hasina exploiting hajj picture with a hijab for election is also liberal democracy ... Khek khek..hahah
If you dont believe that AL are left leaning liberals and BNP is right leaning conservative than there is nothing much I can do about it...

Btw what is your thought abt the direction the sun rises and the direction it sets?
Old May 3, 2013, 01:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Don't like to comment on BD politics since I know very little about it but have to say, that interview with Christiane Amanpour was downright sad, shameful and laughable. It's just really saddening how Sheikh Hasina can be a leader of any country, let alone Bangladesh that's a very new, struggling nation that already has so many problems. In a country like Bangladesh, we desperately need a leader with a vision and who actually care about the people. There are many people in Bangladesh that seem far more capable but unfortunately don't get the chance. Hilarious that she also brought up the Texas blast? WTF?!? Why compare that incident with this? 2 totally different incidents. A combination of idiocy and arrogance seems to be the definition of Hasina and many politicians in BD.

One thing that seems to go unnoticed is the lack of good and proper journalism. Politicians here in the US get drilled with tough questions on their interviews and on different issues. In Bangladesh though it just doesn't seem journalists are you enough on these politicians to give answers and not dance around issues.
Old May 3, 2013, 02:39 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

That interview should have never taken place. My two cents:

1. Its painful listening to her English.
Yes, the lack of fluency isn't her fault. Its not our first language. But if you are going to appear in one of the world's leading global media network for damage control, better communicate thru a language which you understand well and can reply appropriately with a good answer to any hard hitting question.

More importantly, nullify your interviewer's strength ( one of many, if any). She is talking in her native language and you are trying to defend an important issue with your "Yes No Very Good" was never gonna play on your side.

2. I might or might not like her or approve many things her govt has done over the past few years. But the fact still remains that she is our Prime Minister and its really disheartening to see the incumbent Leader of our Nation is being embarrassed, humiliated and at some point, rather disrespected, by a journalist live on international television.
If you are going to babble, answer whatever comes in mind despite its relevance to the question and appear with such a non-existent personality, you probably had it coming your way. But as a Bangladeshi, I felt I was being humiliated there too.

I think one of her Advisers told her that it would be good to appear in CNN and talk about how sincere her govt is and done all the goodies over the past few years for the people of the country.

What she wasn't told was Christiane Amanpour is not Munni Shaha.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 3, 2013, 02:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
If you dont believe that AL are left leaning liberals and BNP is right leaning conservative than there is nothing much I can do about it...
AL is not liberal. What you probably mean is that they are less conservative.

Can't imagine a pro-death penalty, big military spending, big government, pro-censorship, party like Al being called a left-leaning liberals. They are anything but.

They are as opportunistic as BNP, they will do anything that will help them stay in power only to turn the other way when they don't need to appease anyone.

Heh, left leaning liberals my a$$,