facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old February 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Dhaka is a very old city, founded in the 1400s on the bank of a historically rich and high traffic river BuriGonga! Dhaka's old heritage started even long before the time of Subedar Nabab Shaista Khan, the Mughol deligate in the Bengal.....Dhaka's rich history, memories and heritage are unmatched by many of today's high standard cities in the west and in the developed countries.

Dhaka is ruined by our Politicians, national and city leaders!! Dhaka is ruined by and the reasons that Dhaka and Dhaka city dwellers often suffer and battle with living and hygine standard, the water shortage, electricity load-shading, bad traffic control, and severe air pollution is caused by the corrupt, uneducated, greedy politicians and Government officials like my own family. Dhaka is ruined by greed and lack of moral and lack of environmental ethics and practice! Dhaka is ruined by the greed and corruption of the officials of RAJUK and Dhaka Metropolitan Municipal Corporation, PWD, PDB, ministers, secreteries all of them! Dhaka's crime control is out of control due to the greed and corruption and impotentness, spinelessness, sahmelessness way of doing business by the Dhaka Metropolitan Police and the other law enforcement agencies!

That list/chart doesn't mean jack, right...Addis Ababa, Lagos, Monrovia, Port Au Prince (not just due to the recent massive/cruel earthquake) are better and safer, cleaner than the City of Dhaka, that's just ridiculaous and unintelligent.!!! What We, here should remember is this, we can crictisize the state of the city of Dhaka, but only being very careful and constructive and we should only attack the people who are responsible for it, who are or claim they are in charge but failed to maintain and run it BUT, we should not insult the city Dhaka as it is a vibrant place of great history, memorries of her people, blood and sweat, many, many of our fellow brothers and sisters (members) of this forum live and breathe in Dhaka every day, I should not forget that if I insult the city of Dhaka for it's high crime, lower standard of garbage collection, air pollution and living quality then I am just maybe unknowingly insulting my own fellow members of BC who still live in Dhaka and still making it the place it always was and I am sitting here on my a$$ somewhere else talking sh!t, not forgetting my own father and mother and siblings who still live there and deal with the struggle of life in Dhaka!

Long live the great spirit of the great City of Dhaka!

Last edited by bujhee kom; February 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM..

Old February 12, 2010, 08:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Dhaka's issues lies hand in hand with the main issue gripping the whole country - population.

I have no idea how Govt can solve the population problem (not that I think they have the willingness to). I think we have gone past the point where even chinese style "1 child policy" is ineffective.

However Dhaka's problems can be solved to an extent by moving all the garments factories and offices out of the country to semi-rural towns. Reason why people come to Dhaka is because of the jobs. No job, no people.

Thats something Govt can do without being communist.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
It's infected with millions of parasites also known as the middle and upper classes. .
I just remembered that there is another parasite gripping Brisbane that pulled its ranking down - you. Wannabe Aussie ABCD.

No wonder it ranked so low below all Australian cities.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:28 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Dhaka has become a mess because the whole Bangladesh is centered around in Dhaka. If Government had developed other cities like Dhaka, people would not have come here. In Dhaka, you have access to everything-best education, best medical facilities, best sports facilities. Can you get them elsewhere in the country? You can't.
Old February 12, 2010, 09:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
I just remembered that there is another parasite gripping Brisbane that pulled its ranking down - you. Wannabe Aussie ABCD.

No wonder it ranked so low below all Australian cities.
So basically you countered her argument by calling her the same thing that she used? Genius.

Mona was taking jab at upper and middle classes and I see nothing wrong with it. Check my classism thread for more details where I vented my frustration. But what pisses me really off are some qualities people possess or rather don't possess which education can't buy. Things like hypocrisy, slander/backbiting, judging or labelling people, making assumptions, snobs, list can go on endlessly. One of the main traits is people nijer chorkay tel na diya porer upor poddari kore beshi. Where did the next door neighbor get the money to buy that car? Why does the girl next door hang around with that boy? Who does he think he is that he dresses differently? Why doesn't he pray? Or even if he does takhnur upor payajama uthay na ken... Attitudes like these cannot be taught in school. True every country has good or bad qualities, but unless one is grateful enough to go to other countries and have exposures, things like these will never change. Heck, things like these don't change even they go abroad. Bangali people revel in special schadenfreude when they find out they are so better than others because the other is a high school dropout, or isn't a muslim, or comes from a dysfunctional family. As if his character is flawless or pristine! We as a nation are OBSESSED with other people instead of looking at our own damn selves and rectifying our own faults. Actually that superset includes this very post I am making!!

Individuality is a cherished thing that we living in America take for granted. I love my country, but minorities and their viewpoints will always be suppressed there. Lower class people will always be oppressed. Sure we got problems like pollution, traffic jam, corruption, etcetera. But to me the mental attitude is the very thing that pulls us down not even our mundane sphere but permeating even in cricket. I always found India as a nation is more united and they let their differences slide... But if we find out that Masud is going to Harvard, or Kasem is driving a BMW we will lose three days of sleep over it trying to find a justification how they must've beat the system to get what they wanted.

To sum up, I am flawed as much as the next average Bangladeshi citizen. But, the thing is at least I am owning up to it; on the other hand, we as a nation don't like to take criticism well and take refuge under patriotism. Mona might've been a tad bit harsh calling them parasites, but one must be a looney to think that we don't have any faults. This is not only in Bangladesh, but in humanity in general.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:12 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I miss the old spelling D A C C A
Old February 13, 2010, 12:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Atleast, we are glad to get rid of one big parasite. That Coconut.
Is it ABCD, or a 2G FOB.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 13, 2010, 12:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Atleast, we are glad to get rid of one big parasite. That Coconut.
Is it ABCD, or a 2G FOB.
yup.....
Good for Dhaka.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:47 AM
Cricket Savant

and thus....Samuel Johnson.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

You all's chauvinistic nature is admirable, but to say that Dhaka is a great city is pretty laughable to me. We all know that it has many many many problems, but yet we use this annoying sense of patriotism by saying how Dhaka is a great city and all. If you really care about Dhaka, criticize it for what it really is, and try to fix it. These statistics are objective and are much more credible than our subjective opinions. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Old February 13, 2010, 12:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
Ahhh.. Dhaka. That city reminds me of a circus. No, a zoo, where all the animals have been let loose. It's sick and needs help. It's infected with millions of parasites also known as the middle and upper classes.
A wannabe also needs help. Good that Dhaka is getting rid of these.
Old February 13, 2010, 12:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
A wannabe also needs help. Good that Dhaka is getting rid of these.
You praise a man for describing Dhaka in an unrealistically positive way, and you diss a man for describing Dhaka in an unrealistically negative way. Be fair. Both opinions are inaccurate and should receive the same treatment. If you show favoritism, your opinions may not be as credible.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel
You praise a man for describing Dhaka in an unrealistically positive way, and you diss a man for describing Dhaka in an unrealistically negative way. Be fair. Both opinions are inaccurate and should receive the same treatment. If you show favoritism, your opinions may not be as credible.
No, this is what Rabz bhai's opinion which is not unrealistic. It is absolutely ok. Dhaka is also the best city for me for the same reason.
Why I diss the other post, you already mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I was talking about myself.
Its not the best city in the world, i know that.
I live thru this hell everyday.
But for factors and values i cannot replace, this is the best city in the world for me.
Thats all i meant.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
You all's chauvinistic nature is admirable, but to say that Dhaka is a great city is pretty laughable to me. We all know that it has many many many problems, but yet we use this annoying sense of patriotism by saying how Dhaka is a great city and all. If you really care about Dhaka, criticize it for what it really is, and try to fix it. These statistics are objective and are much more credible than our subjective opinions. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
sthu rommel. you live in georgia, you wanna dye your hair blonde and you clearly are detached from "OUR" cultural background....I mean I mean....when was the last time you went to KFC or BFC or Nando's or White Castle or Skyroom or any other foreign franchise restaurant sipped a coke, munching a big chicken drumstick and discussed the bollywood beauties.... Did you? Did you?! And don't even get me started about celebrating New Year's eve in a FuWang club or buying dozen roses and lingerie from Sweet Dreams in Valentine's Day. After all pohela boishakh is so passe. Get on with the program man! If you aint gon praise MY country and OUR lifestyle of Levi jeans and Artisti shirts, then better not frickin touch that keyboard, you CAD with no heritage or roots. What have you done for the country living abroad? What have you done for the poor people? Huh!? It's soooooooooo easy to sit on your a-- in a foreign land with your FBCD and just hand out criticisms. Rommel.... either you are with us or against us. So what will you be? Are you a sell out or a true red and green, yabba gulping, weed smokin, Mercedez drivin, womanizing, thelagariwala sympathizing spirited patriot.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
No, this is what Rabz bhai's opinion which is not unrealistic. It is absolutely ok. Dhaka is also the best city for me for the same reason.

Why I diss the other post, you already mentioned it.
Well Mona may not like dhaka for many reasons as well. You like rabz bhai's opinion because you agree with it. I just don't think you can diss someone's opinion because it is different from your's.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Well Mona may not like dhaka for many reasons as well. You like rabz bhai's opinion because you agree with it. I just don't think you can diss someone's opinion because it is different from your's.
you yourself mentioned in your post it as "unrealistically negative". Now where that "Agree" thing comes from? Don't just argue for the sake of argument.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
sthu rommel. you live in georgia, you wanna dye your hair blonde and you clearly are detached from "OUR" cultural background....I mean I mean....when was the last time you went to KFC or BFC or Nando's or White Castle or Skyroom or any other foreign franchise restaurant sipped a coke, munching a big chicken drumstick and discussed the bollywood beauties.... Did you? Did you?! And don't even get me started about celebrating New Year's eve in a FuWang club or buying dozen roses and lingerie from Sweet Dreams in Valentine's Day. After all pohela boishakh is so passe. Get on with the program man! If you aint gon praise MY country and OUR lifestyle of Levi jeans and Artisti shirts, then better not frickin touch that keyboard, you CAD with no heritage or roots. What have you done for the country living abroad? What have you done for the poor people? Huh!? It's soooooooooo easy to sit on your a-- in a foreign land with your FBCD and just hand out criticisms. Rommel.... either you are with us or against us. So what will you be? Are you a sell out or a true red and green, yabba gulping, weed smokin, Mercedez drivin, womanizing, thelagariwala sympathizing spirited patriot.
lol chill out man. what do you expect me to do? sell Lemonade to raise money for cyclone victims? I can make, what, like 10 bucks or something? Do I have to be the perfect Bengali to give advice on a Country that I root for in many areas? sounds like you are pretty prejudiced and only want people who are like you to speak. yeah I may be sitting on my ***, but maybe that is why my opinion may be more credible than others. I don't have any emotional attachments with dhaka and can thus, give a more objective point of view on the city. Is it wrong to bring a different pov into play? Isn't that what democracy is all about? Or are only people ,who went to KFC or BFC or Nando's or White Castle or Skyroom or any other foreign franchise restaurant sipped a coke, munched a big chicken drumstick and discussed the bollywood beauties, allowed to speak?

And how am I against you? things will never get done if we just ignore stuff because our family lives there and etc.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Yaseer,

I disagree with Mona's comment as she is exaggerating, but I don't see any reason to just attack her personally. we are all entitled to our opinions.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I dream of a day when FOBs and FBCDs will dwell under the same roof in harmony. And make love and kids. But only two per couple as Dhaka already has too many people.
Old February 13, 2010, 01:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I dream of a day when FOBs and FBCDs will dwell under the same roof in harmony. And make love and kids. But only two per couple as Dhaka already has too many people.
Sounds like a nightmare to me.
Old February 13, 2010, 02:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Yo These statistics are objective and are much more credible than our subjective opinions.
r...
Dude, the rankings are not "statistics". It's a subjective survey, otherwise no sane person would rank Lagos and Mogadishu higher than Dhaka.
Old February 13, 2010, 02:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I personally lived in 16 cities in the US and 4/5 cities in Bangladesh, visited a few more, yet it is hard for someone to rank a city based on such low experience. I would say go visit major cities in the world, try to mingle with the culture and then try to rank. It might be a 5 year long project with plenty of money to spend - but it will be worthy as hell. Also you cannot count in the experience of a celebrity on this. Like any BD cricketer in national team might live in 3 to 6 cities during each tour - more during WC but still will not be able to get close to the features and reality, for that one have to get into the heart of it, ride the metro, eat from the street, smoke whatever the general people smoke, try the weird ride in the local fanfare etc.

The ranking is hard, but the love is crystal clear. If you want to be the heartbreaker be it, write it off, no need to go overboard.
Old February 13, 2010, 03:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
So basically you countered her argument by calling her the same thing that she used? Genius.

Mona was taking jab at upper and middle classes and I see nothing wrong with it.
Well my family falls under the middle-class cateogory and they live in Dhaka and they aren't parasite.

Its an unnecessary swipe at a certain demographic for no reason.
Old February 13, 2010, 03:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Dude, the rankings are not "statistics". It's a subjective survey, otherwise no sane person would rank Lagos and Mogadishu higher than Dhaka.
I think its more to do with lack of common sense and stereotype than anything else. We know Dhaka is better than Mogadishu places like Gulshan, Dhanmondi, Baridhara looks lot nicer than down town Mogadishu run by some AK-47 wielding idiots.

So whoever compiled that list must have gone through CIA fact book and saw, cyclone, poverty, political strife...... alright that city can go bottom last.

Our political system may be rotten to the core but its still in once piece and so is the country unlike Somalia.
Old February 13, 2010, 05:21 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

My attack was not directed to every poster who was saying negative things about Dhaka.
As i mentioned earlier, i know this is not the best city in the world and has got many problems.
But to call its citizens, or the big part of it, Parasite is something I take serious offense.

Going by even a good conservative number, atleast 40% of this city dwellers belong to that so called parasite class. That is about 8 Million people in this town, which includes me, my family, people around me, other BC members, not to mention most of your family and relatives.

This number also includes a lot of hard working, honest people in this city who sweats their back off to make a living and just to get thru the days. This so called parasite includes a big number of God fearing, good hearted nice people that i live and interact with everyday. I for one know for sure they are not parasites and i'm sure there are many members here in BC who would voice the same with me.

I told myself many times before that i will not get into any argument in BC anymore. Just not worth it. A waste of time. But this time, I just could not overlook.
It just shows her own class and where she came from.

Brikkho tomar nam ki? Fol e porichoy. I'm also glad she got the eff out of here.

After 5 years and a substantial amount of time here in BC, i did not log in here to someone call me and my family a parasite.

Did not sign up for this sh!t.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Closed Thread