facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 5, 2018, 07:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Can we use another term, instead of kathgora.

Kathgora sounds like some sort of skin disease.

"Oh no doctor, I have Kathgora.

Lets use hathmaluwa or hostomoithun, can't be worse than Kathgora

Old February 6, 2018, 07:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
Can we use another term, instead of kathgora.

Kathgora sounds like some sort of skin disease.

"Oh no doctor, I have Kathgora.
Aren't you a Bengali?

You should embrace the use of these words..m

Right, matey?
Old February 6, 2018, 08:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Bhorti Choliteche...
Open Admissions...

Old February 6, 2018, 08:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Who is in Kathgora?

This person?

Or this? I don't mean the grumpy frumpy old lady...but the one in white blouse doing the witness reanectment
Old February 6, 2018, 09:00 AM
Cricket Legend

I have a thing for big, voluptuous, mature blondes, even redheads will do.
Old February 6, 2018, 09:04 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_1
I have a thing for big, voluptuous, mature blondes.
We all do
Old February 6, 2018, 09:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
We all do
Thank you, good to be around like minded folks. 😂

From what I have heard Dinraat likes skinny, zero figure, jaundiced fashion models. So weird, why is he like that?
Old February 6, 2018, 09:12 AM
Cricket Savant

The judge is also blonde, voluptuous, and mature.
Old February 6, 2018, 09:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
The judge is also blonde, voluptuous, and mature.
I so desperately wanna be judged right now..
Old February 6, 2018, 09:34 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Ashami Hajir. Questions may begin
Old February 6, 2018, 11:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

my question for Roy

1) why study engineering? India already has so many engineers. Passion/family pressure/or the promise of a good career?
2) East Bengal or Mohanbagan?
3) Is "ghoti" a derogatory term? And why do WB people call EB as "bangals"?
4) Fav bangla band (current and classic)?
5) Do you have any family in BD?
6) What place in BD would you like to visit?
7) Do WB have difference bangla accents like we do in East (Dhaka, Noakhali, Ctg etc.) ? Fav Bangla accent?
8) why is BanglaCricket the best?
Old February 6, 2018, 11:30 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
I have a thing for big, voluptuous, mature blondes
Quote:
We all do
Shame on you for liking donald trump.

My question...tbh these are not questions rather seeking advice for travel. I really want to visit kolkata during next durgapuja to see the festivals. my quaries are

1. What is the best place(hotel/inn) to stay in kolkata? my budget cant handle 5 stars like Taj hotel so a decent family hotel will do.

2. Being a muslim are there any restrictions for me to go to any place during the festivities?

3. What are the best places to visit durring the festivities for tourists? let me know the best festive places you know. the tourist places of kolkata I will visit sometime in the future so no point pointing me towards them. I am visiting to enjoy the festivities only.

4. How much money do u recon I should pack for a say 4-5 day trip?

5. What are the best places to eat? what dish I should definitely try in a restaurant before leaving? are there any special festive foods during the puja season?
Old February 6, 2018, 12:28 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Shame on you for liking donald trump.
If your definition of mature, voluptuous blondes is Donald Trump, then I can only say oh dear Lord!

Question For Roy Dada

How popular are BD writers in Kolkata?

Shari or Salwar Kamiz and why?

How do Kolkata people feel about Bangladesh?

Is Bangla dying in Kolkata? I heard that young people is more comfortable speaking in English/Hindi.
Old February 6, 2018, 02:45 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Roey ke dhorte interpol e red alert jari kora houk
Old February 6, 2018, 05:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If your definition of mature, voluptuous blondes is Donald Trump, then I can only say oh dear Lord!
NW just ruined my day, now I can't imagine a luscious blonde without picturing Trump in my head.

Quote:
How popular are BD writers in Kolkata?
Sadly not much, mostly because or our own ignorance. Taslima is the most known BD writer in WB not for her literary prowess but for all the other reasons. In my opinion Humayun Ahmed is the most prolific Bengali writer since Rabindranath, it is heartbreaking for me to see he is by and large unsung in a City that boasts about being the cradle of Bengali culture. BD writers are limited to intellectual discussions, Coffee house and literary circles in WB, never reached to the masses which is our failure and misfortune.

Quote:
Shari or Salwar Kamiz and why?
Imagine Bonolota Sen wearing a Salwar Kamiz, Jibonanondo will throw sandals at you from heaven lol. Shari any day of the week and twice on Sundays, your next door girl will look like a Goddess the day she comes out wearing a Shari for the first time. Girls wearing Shari during Durga puja and Saraswati puja is a sight to behold, gorgeousness of epic levels, on those days our girls can mop the floor with all the fashion models and beauty pageants. Shari has been a part of our culture since ages and still thriving amidst all the changes in the society and western influence, should tell you something about the phenomenal endurance of this particular attire. Shari does to Desi girls what rain does to a peacock.

Quote:
How do Kolkata people feel about Bangladesh?
This is a very difficult question for me, it is down to individual perspective. Many fondly remember BD as the place of their ancestors, many painfully recollect how they lost their belongings and loved ones during partition riots, many are indifferent, many are very enthusiastic due to shared culture and heritage, overall I would say positive and this is purely my observation. Thousands of people from BD come to Kolkata every month for medical reasons, tourism or Shopping, they prefer Kolkata because they experience the warmth and hospitality and feel homely I guess. Kolkata based Bengali media has always been very positive about BD and Mujib is a highly respected figure in India.

Quote:
Is Bangla dying in Kolkata? I heard that young people is more comfortable speaking in English/Hindi.
Hell no, why would you even think that? Don't get me wrong Roman da, I know you mean good but If I had a dime every time I faced this question here I would have literally given match Adda a run for his money lol. Young people all over the world speak diabolical mutilated lingos, I am sure urban BD kids too use a lot of English and Hindi words during normal conversations, nothing unnatural about it. You can not dictate terms to an entire generation.

You need to understand that unlike BD India is not a homogeneous country, All major cities in India are very diverse culturally and linguistically, no language or culture has been imposed on others, everyone is free to speak their native tongue anywhere they want, I have been living in Bangalore for almost 4 years now and I still can't speak Kannada because I never had to learn, I freely communicate with locals in either Hindi or English, Bangalore just like Mumbai or Kolkata is filled with people from all over the country, speaking their native languages and participating in their respective cultural activities, this is how cosmopolitan cities roll. Kolkata being a major port City have traditionally been a business hub in the subcontinent. There are millions of non Bengalis in Kolkata, just like there are huge Bengali presence in Mumbai, Bangalore or Delhi. If you go to a non-bengali dominated neighborhood in Kolkata of course you will find Hindi, Gujrati, Marwari speaking people, you go to Anglo Indian areas you will find native English speakers, there are even ethnic Chinese and Greek settlements in Kolkata. I am sure there are places and pockets in NY or London where English is not the dominant language, this is true for all major cities across the world.
This diversity, people with different shades, creed, culture, language and religion is what makes a city vibrant and beautiful.

All 22 official languages of India enjoy the same freedom and status granted by our constitution. Hindi is spoken and understood by around 60% of the population while English is the most valuable language for higher studies and jobs, these two languages bridge the communication gap between different ethnicities. A Punjabi on a pilgrimage to South India or a Manipuri working in Kolkata how are they supposed to communicate with the locals if not by Hindi or English? Linguistic chauvinism comes from deep rooted insecurity and has no place in a incredibly diverse country like India. I am mighty proud of my language and heritage and 100% sure Barkat, Rafiq, Salam, Jabbar didn't embrace martyrdom to impose Bangla on others, they sacrificed their lives to restore the honor of our language, no way we are going to insult their memory by becoming the same demon they fought till their last breathe.

Roman da people who say such things like bangla is dying in Kolkata, Indian bengalis don't speak bangla anymore probably have never set foot in Kolkata, do not believe them. You can come and evaluate our love for Bangla yourself, you are always welcome here.

Last edited by Roy_1; February 6, 2018 at 07:01 PM..
Old February 6, 2018, 06:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Mufi da and Wolfie da you guys will have to allow me some time, I will answer your questions soon as I am back from College, its 5:30 in the morning, I gotta go out jog now. Roman da's questions seemed easy so my basic instinct kicked in and went for them first.
Old February 6, 2018, 07:29 PM
Cricket Savant

Aye Roy, don't get comfortable. Be prepared for hardball questions

1. Why did you choose your username to be Roy? Are you related to Rahul Roy?
2. How old were you when you went to 2nd base?
3. What is your faith?
4. Blue? Black? Black N' Blue?
5. What's a childhood memory that can't erase from your head?
6. Before Kohli, who was your favorite cricketer?
7. After Kohli got the nod to be your favorite cricketer, which other cricketers do you like?
8. Lokesh Rahul with a manbun or without a manbun?
9. Have you ever played cricket competitively?
10. Peg or double-peg?
11. Your comfort food.

Thanks.
Old February 6, 2018, 07:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Only one question for Roy,

Since my teen age I am fascinated by the beauty of Bollywood actresses. When I came to the US I was kind of overwhelmed by the huge number of Indian guys/girls of varying ages attending college. I once asked a fellow Indian mate that why so many girls come from your country to study here but rarely you can find the cuteness comparing to those we see in movies (not that I am proud of asking such question but - I guess I will give that younger self a leeway for being young, unattached and unmarried ). His response was, if they are that cute they do not need a US degree. Currently a lot of abuse stories are miring Hollywood. How do you rank girl power in India? What are the possibilities to another Indira to come over and rule as a PM? We know Delhi is troubled with lot of incidents, we also know about Ram Rahim and other issues. Recently I read about Kolkata and surroundings having lot of problem related to Night Clubbing. Also I remember one Bollywood movie was showing how people were setting up casual sex dates and the main character who rented a flat will sublet it to couples to make extra money (there are incidents in Dhaka too may not be exact same). I am interested to know your perspective about this matter as they became very significant since the Delhi incident which earned focus of the whole world.
Old February 7, 2018, 08:08 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

asami mone hoy joging korte giye ferari hoye gese
Old February 7, 2018, 08:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
asami mone hoy joging korte giye ferari hoye gese
Uff bap re bap, ei matro college kore badminton khele phirlam, ektu rest nei, ekta beer khai, India r match ta dekhi, eto tarahura korle hoi!! paliye jachii na wolfie da, I am not Roey lol
Old February 7, 2018, 03:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
my question for Roy

1) why study engineering? India already has so many engineers. Passion/family pressure/or the promise of a good career?
No pressure whatsoever Mufi da, my father runs a business, he perhaps wanted me to do a regular bachelors and join the business but never forced anything on me. I never really had a strong career goal till I was 16, all I was doing was riding bikes and partying. Being the youngest kid in the family I guess I was kind of pampered. I have always looked up to my elder brother since I was a kid, he is a Jadhavpur alumnus and now working as a IT solution architect and based in California. My brother bought his first car and gifted it to my father when he was only 23 and didn't take a single penny from anyone. I was greatly moved by that, I mean as per our lower middle class standard you know you made it when you can afford an Innova at the age of just 22-23 with your own income. So that was the time when I had to pick my trade for the 10+2 standard, I didn't think twice and picked science. Appeared for the All Indian Engineering Entrance exam, got a mediocre rank, not enough to even roam near premier technical Institutes like like IITs, NITs or jadhavpur etc. I was eligible for many average to okay type private institutes with my score and I picked one from Bangalore as you know Bangalore is like the Vatican for IT and software Engineers.

You are right, India probably produce more engineers every year than the population of many eastern European countries lol. The competition is fierce and like dog eat dog type ruthless but then again what is the point of achieving something if you don't have to go hammer and tongs for it? Around 50%-55% of the students every year get selected through on campus recruitment from my college, rest will have to gut up and prepare for off campus drives and independent job searches. Lucky ones will get selected from campus and the rest will have to try hard for a few months but will definitely get jobs. Bangalore has over 70,000 registered IT companies including fortune 500s, mid-levels, small and start-ups. Tough but still easier to get jobs with a technical degree in India compared to other trades.

So overall I wouldn't say that I exactly aimed for a career in technology, but I am okay with it and actually enjoying myself.

Quote:
2) East Bengal or Mohanbagan?
Honestly none, I don't really like soccer, watched some matches only for the sake of friends, couldn't even name or identify 2 players from each club, I had a bit of interest when Baichung was there but now I give zero to negative fcuks. Most in my family however support East Bengal for obvious reasons.

Quote:
3) Is "ghoti" a derogatory term? And why do WB people call EB as "bangals"?
Neither Ghoti nor Bangal are derogatory terms, just lighthearted insults which were mostly relevant during East Bengal-Mohanbagan matches in the past, now it is very rare as the new generation mostly have no idea what the words mean . Ghotis are the people native to Kolkata and surrounding regions with no links or family ties with current day BD, Bangals are people native to present day BD who had settled in WB to escape persecution. There were a few minor cultural differences and stereotypes present in the past like Ghotis being "Chingri" lovers and Bangals being "Hilsa" fanatics etc. Due to years of assimilation and intermarriage these two words have become largely irrelevant. Some still use it for light humor or to invoke nostalgia and that's about it.

Quote:
4) Fav bangla band (current and classic)?
Artcell (Current): Best progressive rock bands from Asia, mind-numbing compositions, not for noobs or Linkin Park fans. I personally rate them as high as Dream Theater or Opeth.

Mohiner Ghoraguli (Classic): A band far ahead of its time in terms of music and lyrics, in a time when 99% people couldn't differentiate between Rock bands and hair bands they introduced grunge and psychedelia, they were the pioneers of bengali rock culture, our very own Bangla Pink Floyd.

Quote:
5) Do you have any family in BD?
Distant family from my Grand mother's side, never met them.

Quote:
6) What place in BD would you like to visit?
Old relics, ancient ruins, buildings and architecture fascinate me, if I ever get to visit BD all the places that BK da mentioned in that architecture thread will be my first priority, I have bookmarked that thread and will 100% make sure to visit every one of those Jomidar bari, Temples and Mosques. Sundarban will be second on the list, although I have already been to the Indian part of Sundarban and spend nights on boats deep in the forest, I don't think the geography or environment will be any different in your part of the forest, still Sundarban has a very unique appeal and I would definitely like to explore it again. Next on the list is Sylhet perhaps, the pictures you shared on the sixers thread were pretty cool, the hills, the falls and the overall topograophy seems very similar to Koorg, Ooty and other South Indian Hill stations.

Quote:
7) Do WB have difference bangla accents like we do in East (Dhaka, Noakhali, Ctg etc.) ? Fav Bangla accent?
Yes of course, Kolkata, Howra, Nodia and surroundings have the standard accent, while Bankura, Birbhum has a very different accent probably due to substantial tribal presence, they will use "Bote" at the end of every sentence like "Tu chela harami bute" (Dude you are one a**hole ), people from Medenipur has a different accent, if you speak to someone from Purulia you will get confused if the person is a Bengali trying to speak Hindi or Bihari trying his luck with Bengali lol probably because of close proximity to Jharkhand. North Bengali (Northern parts of WB. Siliguri, Jalpaiguri, maldah, Cooch Behar etc.) accent is like a cross between Standard BD and Kolkata accent. "Ki kortechis?" "Ki khaitechis?" "Ami oikhane gechilam" "Douraite douraite hapai gelam" something like that.

There are many other unique rural accents are there, someone with more astute observing quality would explain better, my knowledge is based on my interaction with people, I have not completely explored WB yet.

Quote:
8) why is BanglaCricket the best?
I am a member of over a dozen forums and actively post in around half of them. I was actually looking for a platform to interact with Bengalis accross the border, I tried FB but they called me "Malu" and offered many other pleasantries of the same kinds during that WC match, I had to ask another BD guy to figure what it means So I realized I need a forum which is far from the social media filth and frequented by educated and established people and bingo I got BC. I will be honest here that I started to develop a negative mindset towards BD but BC changed everything.

Not trying to be melodramatic but I do feel some kind of bond with the members here especially BK da, Akle, Zeeshan, you, Yankees,Roman, Simon, Shaan and many others. I am member of forums with more technically sophisticated features, thousands of members, wide array of topics but the warmth I felt here around you people I have never felt anywhere on the internet before. I don't rank BC in the good, better, best categories, because Its like a family and you don't give ranks or ratings to your family, you love them.

Last edited by Roy_1; February 7, 2018 at 08:42 PM..
Old February 7, 2018, 08:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I am member of forums with more technically sophisticated features, thousands of members, wide array of topics but the warmth I felt here around you people I have never felt anywhere on the internet before. I don't rank BC in the good, better, best categories, because Its like a family and you don't give ranks or ratings to your family, you love them.
Aww, what a sweetheart
Old February 7, 2018, 08:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Aww, what a sweetheart
I know, right?
Old February 7, 2018, 09:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

my questions for Roy:

1) Which Roy is best Roy: Jason or Subhashish?

2) Fav BD cricketer? Fav non-indian cricketer? Least fav Indian cricketer? Least fav non-indian cricketer?

3) Have you ever been to Tripura? If so, how is it? Is there still resentment towards Bengali settlers?

4) What is the one change you would like to see in cricket?

5) What is the one thing you wish was different about India?

6) What are your feelings towards arranged marriages?
Old February 8, 2018, 05:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

1.Would you like to come to Australia, a mid-level engineer like you can easily earn a base salary of 100K if you choose to migrate.

2. What are your life goals

3. Why electrical engineering, you do realise it is the hardest field of engineering

4. Your dream bike/Dream car