facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 25, 2012, 05:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

i'm hoping anamul being the top scorer with 2 centuries got him noticed by some people, hopefully someone noticed and have him in there thoughts for a team in say county cricket or somewhere because one thing we know is BD domestic cricket isn't that great for developing players, A team tours aren't that regular either and besides they seem to be run in a similar vein to domestic cricket going by what went on in the last tournament they had.

Old August 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Congrats for being the highest scorer of U19 WC 2012. Great achievement indeed at that level.

Although it means very little unless he is doing the hard work to lift his game to match with the requirements of the highest level.

Nothing to get too exited with this performance and get blown away. Look at the batting stat table .. An Afghan is in the third position, and the two teams who are playing the finals, have their best batsmen in 17th and 23rd position in the table. But we all know these 23rd and 17th will become a much better cricketer in future than the Afghan guy. Apart from all the other advantages and reasons they have in their favor ... The main reason is they have the intent and passion to work hard to be one of the best in the game.

Anamul has proven his talent, he has the facilities and opportunities to be among the best, but he needs to do the HARD WORK... Does he have that passion and intention?? Time will answer that..

IMO, He should go through the rigors of high performance unit for at least an year and another half if necessary. Even if we are running short of player of his calibre in the National team, we should stop throwing in under cooked players in the national team. It's heart breaking to see young talented players struggling at the international level and learning elementary things in front of the world. Like, it was really painful to see this same Anamul struggling to reach double digit against Zimbo and 2nd string SA bowlers. At the end we were blaming him and Questioning him for that poor show, but unfortunately he was not the defaulter. One who threw him there without preparing him for that level is to be blamed. Let's stop this practice that we got into, because we had no option after getting the test status. But now I'm sure we can continue with the current lot for an year or two, to prepare A player who displays that talent and class for this level.
The Afghan also got to beat up on minnows at the plates, a charge thats leveled against Bangladesh for having a decent U19 record - although we win most of our matches against top sides all the time.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 25, 2012, 10:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Mominul deserves a call up and Anamul too for the WI test series. If Ratul can continue his form in NCL, I'd pick him as well. Just because he did poorly in U19 ODIs, doesn't mean he can't play Test cricket.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

We need to ease him in. Only T20 for Anamul and his likes. No other format at least 2 years of more domestic cricket.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
We need to ease him in. Only T20 for Anamul and his likes. No other format at least 2 years of more domestic cricket.
Only t20? I'd say no t20 only ODIs and tests, clearly anamul is a better longer format player, the more overs they play the better he does, I'd say the same for asif, mominul on the other hand seems to be just as good in any format. Bring in anamul for sure, would like mominul there to but what's going to be tough to figure out is where to put them, us there room in the middle order for mominul? Because if there isn't then he has to bat at #3 and anamul at #2 but anamul might be a better #3 than opener....asif is also better at 3 but he may have to be opener.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Don't know about other format but for Test we might give him a try because his stats back him up
Old August 26, 2012, 01:32 AM
Cricket Sage

I'd only play Anam in Tests and ODIs...his performance at the world cup indicates he can be a solid 50 over player as well. Asif on the other hand seems more at ease in longer version, but he will need a good showing in the NCL to make a case. Mominul comes in. As to where to bat them...Anam is a obvious #3 for both formats, Mominul appears better suited at 4 or 5. Asif can take whatever position is still available.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 26, 2012, 03:29 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Why T20? Why not Test? Let's pick the youngsters based on formats they actually performed him. Anamul's FC record is much better in FC than his T20 or List A record. So why not choose him in the format he excelled in.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

No doubt Anamul is ready to be considered for international level. He might stagnate if he's left for too long at a lower level (NCL, DPL or even Academy tour)
Old August 26, 2012, 08:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Mominul deserves a call up and Anamul too for the WI test series. If Ratul can continue his form in NCL, I'd pick him as well. Just because he did poorly in U19 ODIs, doesn't mean he can't play Test cricket.
Well anyone can have a bad series or tourney but what bothered me about Asif is the fact that his U19 stats are pretty ordinary. As we also know, domestic stats don't give the best indicator for success in international cricket. Before we think about Asif in the national team, he needs to perform well at the A team level.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyface
No doubt Anamul is ready to be considered for international level. He might stagnate if he's left for too long at a lower level (NCL, DPL or even Academy tour)
You are right.. in fact thats what Ian Chappel said for Indian player Chand and Harmeet Singh-though I doubt that India needs a batsman at this time. And I would rate Anamul much higher than Singh or Chand. Besides, we do need a backup Wicket-keeper/Opener who can also be a one down batsman.

Ian Chapel mentions that if you keep a ready player at the U19 level for too long, they start developing bad habits in terms of cricket skills. I think that's also true for Anamul-- if he starts training with the national team even if he is in the 20 probable list, he will start to get the best facilities and develop as a better player. Especially for a team like Bangladesh, the only time players get international level facilities, gym, training, etc. is when they are training with the national team.

Just look what happened to Sowhrawardi Shuvo this week. He left for Malaysia to train with his old coach Salahuddin because he found no other ways to train in the country before the league. Heck, even if he wanted to use Dhaka Golds Gym snailing through the ridiculous traffic each day, it would cost him less to just take the flight plus stay at Malaysia. News is that he will stay at KL for a while. Not all the player will have the means and desperation to go as far as Shuvo did...
Old August 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
Cricket Guru

chappell also said young talents need to be constantly challenged, and it's true. to get the best out of someone they need to be challenged once they're successful at any given level. what's difficult is that the standard of doemsdtic cricket isn't high enough to challenge the best talents properly and the A team tours seem to be pretty much run the domestic stuff i.e. the management etc allow it to be picnic cricket, of course the difference between A team cricket and domestic cricket is that in A team cricket the opposition isn't playing picnic cricket whereas in domestics the opposition are.

players wouldn't havae to be fast tracked as often if the structure was stronger but the structure isn't strong enough and isn't improving very much so there's not much to do other than fast track players.

but when it comes to fast tracking a player, as has been said he's as ready as anyone. ash, tamim, shakib, mushy, rubel, nasir etc etc. how many of them had the u19 record of anamul? how many of them had the FC record of anamul? how many had scored as many centuries as anamul has? when it comes to talents and fast tracking players anamul is ahead of anyone who has come before him in BD.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:06 PM
Cricket Guru

If Chand played for BD, then he would also be very much in the talks of being in the national team as well but since India has players such as Sehwag, Gambhir, Kohli and Pujara batting at the top, he'll have to wait a bit before he comes in. That's where the difference is in our team compared to India's. Besides Tamim, our top order lacks quality. That's why there is a big demand for a quality top order batsman and talks about Anamul coming in. Nothing we can really do about that.That's just the reality of our team.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:27 PM
Cricket Guru

actually chand is talked about more than the average indian bat not just because he's a great talent but i think it's also be they are searching for their next great opener. sehwag isn't performing as well as he used to and he's getting into that older age bracket, gambhir also isn't performing as he was. mukund and rahane had goes but didn't do so well, and i still they are good prospects for them but with both their openers not doing quite as well as they were and the fact that sehwag is moving into the retirement age bracket they're searching for their next openers and chand is an opener.

india have so many middle order talents like sharma, tiwary, reddy, menaria, mandeep singh, pandey, bist. that's just the young ones, they've got some older fellows who are quite good to. they have a lot more middle order prospects which is possibly part of the reason for chand getting so much attention as he opens.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
actually chand is talked about more than the average indian bat not just because he's a great talent but i think it's also be they are searching for their next great opener. sehwag isn't performing as well as he used to and he's getting into that older age bracket, gambhir also isn't performing as he was. mukund and rahane had goes but didn't do so well, and i still they are good prospects for them but with both their openers not doing quite as well as they were and the fact that sehwag is moving into the retirement age bracket they're searching for their next openers and chand is an opener.

india have so many middle order talents like sharma, tiwary, reddy, menaria, mandeep singh, pandey, bist. that's just the young ones, they've got some older fellows who are quite good to. they have a lot more middle order prospects which is possibly part of the reason for chand getting so much attention as he opens.
Well ya he's a big time prospect. I mean he did average a 65 in U19 cricket which is just outstanding for any player. We'll probably see him in the national team soon but has to wait until Gambhir and Sehwag get injured. They still have a good 5-6 years left in the tank IMO.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Well ya he's a big time prospect. I mean he did average a 65 in U19 cricket which is just outstanding for any player. We'll probably see him in the national team soon but has to wait until Gambhir and Sehwag get injured. They still have a good 5-6 years left in the tank IMO.
gambhir obviously if he wanted to could have 5-6 years, sehwag could to but it's tougher for him because he's a few years older and he relies a lot on hand-eye co-ordination and reflexes to make-up for his lack of technique. wouldn't surprise me to see rahane or possibly even chand come in if gambhir or sehwag hit a poor run of form.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:31 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Anamul Makes it in the Under 19 WC squad

Topley, Haque in team of the Under-19 World Cup

Quote:
The highest run-scorer in the World Cup, Anamul began with a hundred that would relegate Sri Lanka to the plate competition and ended with another hundred, against Pakistan, which helped Bangladesh finish seventh out of 16 teams. He scored a half-century against England's potent attack as well, and had starts in two other innings. Wasn't tested on the tough pitches at Tony Ireland Stadium, but received praise from his former coach Stuart Law.
Anamul Haque gives Bangladesh a reason to smile

Bangladesh's seventh-place finish in the ICC Under-19 World Cup may sound unflattering, but that too was unlikely until Anamul Haque was installed as captain in what was a last-minute decision. He went on to become the tournament's highest run-getter with two centuries, both having a major say in the team's outcome.

Read more
Old August 27, 2012, 01:18 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

'I love to take challenges'-Anamul Haque Bijoy

Anamul Haque, nicknamed Bijoy, is the rising star of Bangladesh cricket. The young wicketkeeper-batsman has been on the fringes of the national squad for a while but recently took charge of the Bangladesh U19 team for the World Cup in Australia. The youngster finished as the highest run scorer in the tournament (365 runs in six games at an average of 60.83) as Bangladesh scalped both Sri Lanka and Pakistan to finish a respectable seventh. The Daily Star's senior sports reporter, Bishwajit Roy, caught up with Anamul to talk about his performances in the tournament and about his hopes for the future.

++++++++++++++++++++
Quote:
Daily Star Sport (DSS): How was the tournament in terms of result?

Anamul Haque (AH): It's not too good and not too bad. We finished seventh and this was not our best finish at all but the thing is that we beat Sri Lanka in the group stage to reach into the second round and then defeated Pakistan to finish seventh which is really encouraging. But what I want to say is that we played impressive cricket in the tournament and was able to hog the spotlight as a good team. And you know, most of our players are just 17-plus, so it's not an easy task for them to cope up with the pressure in such a big tournament. Actually I'm not totally unhappy with the outcome though it could have been much better if we could beat Australia. We were also unlucky in the quarterfinal match against Australia.

DSS: What about your own performance?

AH: I'm really happy because as a captain and senior member in the team I could contribute something. It's nice that one Bangladeshi player led the top run-scorer chart and became the only batsman to score two centuries. I really enjoyed my batting in the Australian conditions because the pull and cut are my favourite shots. I believe this performance will help me a lot in the future.

DSS: You already played for the senior team but could not perform as per expectation but you looked totally different with the junior side. What actually made the difference?

AH: I only played T20 matches for national team in Zimbabwe. True I could not play well there but it was mainly because of the conditions and also I lacked a bit of luck. Pressure is everywhere in international cricket but it's a different kind of pressure when you play for the national team. Total environment is also altogether different but without any doubt the World Cup performance gives me confidence when I will get the chance again for the national team.

DSS: If you were asked to compare the conditions between Bangladesh and Australia, how would you differentiate it?

AH: It was my first trip to Australia. Weather was totally different from our country. The weather was cool and most importantly I m impressed by the facilities available there. The grounds are fantastic and the wickets were truly Australian nature. I think in future we will play much better cricket in Australia because we have also started to play on good pitches in the domestic competition. We have to make sure that we are playing in true sporting wicket in our country so that we can adjust to any kind of conditions.

DSS: Who are the other players in the team who impressed you most?

AH: I think everybody was very much sincere to perform well and what I can say is that we played as a unit. But still I want to mention the names of all-rounder Nayeem Islam, pace bowler Taskin Ahmed and opener Liton Das because they have great potential to represent the national team in future if they get proper guidance and do hard work.

DSS: How big was the challenge of being appointed captain for the World Cup after the team's failure in the Asia Cup in Malaysia?

AH: It was a big challenge and I always love to take challenges. I must thank my colleagues and coaching staffs who have helped me a lot. Actually everybody was hungry to perform well in the World Cup to make up for the first round exit from the Asia Cup. Unfortunately our middle order didn't click otherwise it could have been a different story and our bowlers were also not up to the mark compared to the Australia and South Africa attack.

DSS: What do you want to achieve in your career?

AH: Right at this moment my target is to sleep as much as possible (smile). Anyway I want to play for my country consistently for the next 15 years. I believe the talent is not enough to stay in the international cricket rather you have to make sure that you work hard to keep your position in the team first. I performed at different levels and now I have to prove that I'm good enough to play international cricket.

DSS: Who is your favourite cricketer?

AH: AB de Villiers is my favourite cricketer because he is good in all three formats of the game. I also like to watch the batting of Hashim Amla. In my country Shakib bhai (Shakib Al Hasan) and Mushfiq bhai (Mushfiqur Rahim) are my favourite cricketers.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=247324
Old August 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
Cricket Legend

From cricinfo:
Quote:
The World Cup also ended up testing Anamul's character, none more so than the 'Mankading' incident in the quarter-final against Australia where he didn't withdraw an appeal after Soumya Sarkar ran out Jimmy Peirson who was outside the non-striker's crease. Anamul had his reasons: defending a small total (171), Bangladesh took three quick wickets and with the run-out, it reduced Australia to 33 for 4.

"As soon as Soumya (Sarkar) made the run-out, I knew that they would be 30-odd for four. Bear in mind we were defending a small total, so I had to be the bad guy. I know it wouldn't look good but it was within the rules, so I persisted."
I've gotta say, I like his attitude. Must win at all costs. It's a nice change from our normally sissy, confrontation-avoiding players.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Anamul Makes it in the Under 19 WC squad

Topley, Haque in team of the Under-19 World Cup

Anamul Haque gives Bangladesh a reason to smile

Bangladesh's seventh-place finish in the ICC Under-19 World Cup may sound unflattering, but that too was unlikely until Anamul Haque was installed as captain in what was a last-minute decision. He went on to become the tournament's highest run-getter with two centuries, both having a major say in the team's outcome.

Read more
awesome that anamul made the team, great job anamul.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Cricket Guru

terrific attitude from anamul and AB de villiers being his favourite players is a good fit for him, similar playing roles.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
terrific attitude from anamul and AB de villiers being his favourite players is a good fit for him, similar playing roles.
I thought Mohammad Ashraful was his favourite player.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
I thought Mohammad Ashraful was his favourite player.
maybe it's because anamul has developed a bit more and is now aspiring to be a successful international cricketer of the highest standard, something ashraful hasn't reached. probably ash was his favourite from when he was young, imagine being a 13 year old kid watching ashraful smash a century against the aussies in cardiff strike rate of 99, then hitting 94 against england at trent bridge strike rate 180, then a 58 against australia at old trafford with a more patient innings strike rate of 67. but it quite possibly could have started when ash broke the record as the youngest test centurion when anamul would have only been 9 years old.

i think most young BD boys would have named ash as their favourite, but as they become their own players and set their own goals of being successful in international cricket they would have to realise ash isn't the best favourite player to have.

and wow imagine if we had that ash now, alongside tamim, shakib, mushy, nasir, sunny, rubel, mash, riyad with anamul on the rise. the thing is ash did push the bar higher, not only in talent but in consistency, earlier in his career he would have been one of the best averaging batsmen in the team, so he did play a part in the improved quality of BD cricket directly and indirectly but he's not really a good choice for favourite player atm.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Those names at the bottom of the recent article scares me. Stay put Anam, stay put and work hard kid.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Those names at the bottom of the recent article scares me. Stay put Anam, stay put and work hard kid.
at least he mentioned de villiers and amla first, 2 great players to look up to. if you had to choose 2 BD players to look up to then shakib is obviously a great pick, mushy is one of the better picks as well.