facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 18, 2010, 08:24 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar
Default Kevin Pietersen slams Chittagong pitch

Kevin Pietersen believes he is back to his best form after battling to overcome his technical deficiencies against left-arm spin, but he has nevertheless voiced his criticism of the Chittagong wicket that aided his recovery in the first Test against Bangladesh. Pietersen made 99 in England's first innings of the series and followed that up with a hard-hitting 32 from 24 balls, but feels that the surface on which the match was played was bad for spectators, and by extension, the five-day game as a whole.

The Bangladesh series clashes with the glitz and glamour of the Indian Premier League, to which Pietersen will flying as soon as the second Test is over to link up with the Bangalore Royal Challengers, and while he was full of praise for the spirit that Junaid Siddique and Mushfiqur Rahim showed in extending the Chittagong Test into the final afternoon, he questioned the entertainment value on offer in a match that England, to all intents and purposes, dominated from ball one.

"I don't think the conditions are good for Test match cricket," said Pietersen. "Everyone is talking about where Test cricket will be in five years' time, and I don't think wickets like that are conducive to people watching. On day five of a Test match, you expect some spin and something in the wicket, because you need wickets that will produce victories or results. I don't think the wicket was great in terms of entertainment, but in terms of English toughness it was good for our young bowling attack."

"Bangladesh were good," he said. "They fought hard in patches, especially on the last day, but with the way Test match cricket is going and the way people are talking negatively about it now, as a Test match cricket lover [I am concerned]. If we had played India on that pitch, it would have been 700 plays 700 plays 100 for 1. It's not good for Test match cricket, because I want Test match cricket to survive for as long as possible. It tests every individual and toughens you up."

Pietersen's criticisms were echoed by one of his chief tormentors of the tour, the left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak, who felt that his team had been let down by the Chittagong wicket after packing their side with four spinners in a bid to exploit the turn that they had anticipated from the surface. "The Chittagong wicket was not very spin-friendly," said Razzak. "Nothing happened for the first two days. The ball just went straight when we bowled in the first innings, and though there was some bounce, it's useless without turn."

The net result, however, was a timely return to form for Pietersen, who has had to drag his game out of the doldrums after a desperate run of form which, he claimed, was triggered by a technical fault that crept into his game during the tour of South Africa in December and January. Following scores of 40 and 81 at Centurion - his first Test since undergoing Achilles surgery in the summer - Pietersen managed 56 runs in his next five innings of the series, and said that by the end of the tour "I didn't know where I was and what I was doing".

"It was strange," said Pietersen. "I felt in good nick after the Twenty20 in Centurion [his comeback match], but then something went wrong in the third and fourth Test matches. I looked at a lot of footage, and compared it to some footage from before, and I realised I had made some technical errors, and I wasn't playing the way I used to. But I've sorted that out now, and I feel a different player."

The root of Pietersen's problem had been in his trigger movement at the crease, which involves an exaggerated knee-bend at the point of delivery. "If you lose your technique, the more your head goes," he said. "I don't want to jinx [my recovery], but I honestly do feel really, really good about my game at the moment. It's a nice place to be compared to ten days ago when I needed something to click, and something to work on, which I love doing. Yeah, I feel good now."

"There was a little thing I needed to work on, technique-wise, against the left-arm spinners, but then spending two or three hours at the crease [at Chittagong] was important as well, because when you're going through a tough time you often think: 'wow, how do I get to 20, 30, 50 ...' So to get to 99 and 30-odd off 20, by when I was hitting a lot of my areas I used to hit - midwicket off the spinner, and hitting over the top - I'm pretty happy."

As a by-product of all the thought that Pietersen has had to put into his technique against spin, he has rediscovered an urge to work on his own offspin - the facet of his game that first earned him the chance to play first-class cricket for Natal. "I think I can get a lot more wickets bowling to left-handers," he said, "with some that turn, and some that don't turn.

"A lot of the decisions I have got in my career have been down to my bounce and pace, and the uncertainty of where it is going, so I think I can get quite a few wickets. I'm looking to bowl more, and I've actually spoken to Cookie about it and I keep saying to him: 'get me on here.'"

He might well be called upon to perform with the ball in Dhaka if the wicket is anything like as slow and low as the Chittagong surface, but whatever happens, Pietersen is adamant that England must finish the series with focus and determination - two traits that have often deserted them towards the back-end of lengthy tours.

"The key to this week is finishing the tour well and concentrating on the Test match," he said. "What matters is winning the series, because we often don't finish tours the way that we would like, we sort of veer off at the end of a series because we want to get home, because we travel so much. The key to the team this week is to really make sure we grind it out here and get a good victory for Cooky [Alastair Cook], because he's done a great job on the field and off the field. We want to serve up a good victory for the chef."

Courtesy: Cricinfo.

Old March 18, 2010, 08:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

If they bat well, the pitch is fine. If we bat well, the pitch is flat and not test-stadard.
Old March 18, 2010, 09:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

1 more run in the first innings, then he would have said "the best pitch in da galaxy"
Old March 18, 2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib, SN, Tamim

KP is a real wanna be. He comented this because his team scored just 200 for 7 in second innings
Old March 18, 2010, 10:11 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Well, the pitch was a dead beat.
I think KP was right in his stance.
Had it been India, SL, the match would have been a boring slow draw.
It was a case of 600 followed by another 600, followed by 100-1, draw.

A sporting wicket doesnt hurt anyone.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Last edited by Rabz; March 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM..
Old March 18, 2010, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Pitches around the world have gone flat over the years, which isn't necessarily a good thing. So KP has a point.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Why are you guys so defensive? Its a very good point..the pitch should not be so flat..but then again we are BD and we cant really score on any other wicket..and someone said we batted well? Really? Not even putting 350 in both innings and we batted well? On such a flat pitch we should really put up scores 350-400 in each innings..test match cricket in general should have sporting wickets in order to get results but KP had 2 realize we are not on their level yet and so a result will come out no matter what pitch we play on..so i think kp makes a good point that these of picthes are bad 4 test cricket..
Old March 18, 2010, 12:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Well, the pitch was a dead beat.
I think KP was right in his stance.
Had it been India, SL, the match would have been a boring slow draw.
It was a case of 600 followed by another 600, followed by 100-1, draw.
Yep. Unfortunately, our team management (and the majority of fans here) think it was a great achievement to drag the match to the fifth day for another honorable defeat.
Old March 18, 2010, 12:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

The english would have complained if the pitch had turn since then they would have lost the match. The only time they would have been happy is if it favoured them. I am happy that atleast the pitches are prepared to help develop some confidence to our brittle batting. I just hope the pitch in dhaka is turning so that we can make the english cry more.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old March 18, 2010, 12:52 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ The Chittagong pitch actually had turns, as much it should have for finger spinners. Problem was that batsmen (ie batsmen with decent footwork) had plenty of time to negotiate the spin because of the slowness of the pitch. Spinners (at least our spinners) need both turn and bounce to be effective. We failed to play to our strength (which is our spin department) and handed the match over to England even before it started.

Don't see why batting side should feel confident about themselves after making scores around 300 in each innings on such a dull pitch.
Old March 18, 2010, 01:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

If we can't extract anything better as a result why don't we go for a sporty one?
Even if the pitch is not fast and bouncy (against ENG, NZ, AUS no need actually) why not a turning track?

Slow turning wicket doesn't help us anyway. We need pitches where there are sharp turn.
Old March 18, 2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

A bad worker quarrels with his tools.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
A bad worker quarrels with his tools.
But he scored 99 in the first innings! He was not doing bad either in the second innings till he became victim of one of the numerous umpiring mistakes in the match.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:10 PM
Administrator

The Uthan was byaka in this case.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
But he scored 99 in the first innings! He was not doing bad either in the second innings till he became victim of one of the numerous umpiring mistakes in the match.
Then why he is making unnecessary noise? Because Bangladesh batsmen batted more number of overs than English batsmen? Would he complain if he played in a similar pitch in India? যারা দুর্বল, তাদেরকে পিটাতে এই পৃথিবীর সবাই খুব মজা পায়। মরা হাতীকে কাকও লাথি মারে।

And in second innings, KP was plumb straight. I do not know how you have found a howler there.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Pietersen who?
Old March 18, 2010, 02:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
The Uthan was byaka in this case.
agey jantam nachte na janle uthan byaka ekhon dekhi nachte janleo eki case....
Old March 18, 2010, 03:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Well, in this case the Uthan was so flat that your dancing skill was not really tested.

As I said in another thread, Gillespie prolly would have scored another century here if given a chance.
Old March 18, 2010, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Then why he is making unnecessary noise? Because Bangladesh batsmen batted more number of overs than English batsmen? Would he complain if he played in a similar pitch in India? যারা দুর্বল, তাদেরকে পিটাতে এই পৃথিবীর সবাই খুব মজা পায়। মরা হাতীকে কাকও লাথি মারে।

And in second innings, KP was plumb straight. I do not know how you have found a howler there.
umm he already mentioned why hes making noise. Read the article. instead of attacking him why dont you write why you disagree.
Old March 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

pieterson has every right 2 say what he is saying..he is a world class batsman and understands the game very well..he also said good things about us as well..what he said was very true about the pitch..he obviously wants sporting wickets because there are better chances that there will be a result..i dont know why people are so defensive..hes talking the truth..
Old March 18, 2010, 03:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

You need to watch the reply. Shakib's armer was going down the leg side.

Yeah, I know, it's hard to believe umps give bad decisions against other teams too.
Old March 18, 2010, 03:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen

Don't see why batting side should feel confident about themselves after making scores around 300 in each innings on such a dull pitch.
thats under the assumption that we have a whole batting side. we've got half a batting side or slightly more than that.

imrul, aftab, and to certain extent junaid can't be considered par batsmen. on the other hand, tamim, mushy, riyad, shakib, and riyad have over the past 12 months done a respectable job. nothing great (i.e no double tons or 300 run partnerships) but nothing shabby either.

junaid is a tweener, btw. he's taken part in 3 150+ run parthernships, indicating some test readiness. but at other times looks totally outclassed.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 18, 2010, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Our batsman are not high quality so definately we will make a wicket of 700 in one innings.We will try to cover our batting weakness by making batting wicket its very simple.We are host its our right to make such a pitch.I noticied the english people talk too much if anything goes against them.
Wait Mr Kevin Piterson wait for just 5 years we will make a pitch where England will be all out by 121 runs those days are not too far away.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 18, 2010, 04:41 PM
BC Editorial Team

Wanting and getting are too different thing. With the soil we have in Chittagong, empirical evidence suggests you are either going to get a very pacy pitch, like the ones Nurl Abedin Nobel used to prepare in the old stadium or these flat ones in the new one.

And Kevin is right, that was a pitch even the IPL wallas would call a manchester!
Old March 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

This is nothing new. Pietersen is trying to bully BCB and curtaors to get a pitch suitable for England team. They had to struggle to defeat Bangladesh in Chittagong and now they want to do it easily on a responsive surface for the English bowlers. Graeme Simth did the same after the Dhaka Test.