facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 7, 2008, 02:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default ash still doesn't get it

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausv...ry/368683.html

here ash says he plays better when he attacks from the get go. no concept of getting set first. and that too when he's a de facto opener coming in at #3.

the guy is finished.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old September 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
My natural instinct is to dominate bowlers and get on top of them. I play better when I start dominating from the start," Ashraful said. "Maybe I take a few more risks because of that early on in my innings.
Simply pathetic...
Old September 7, 2008, 03:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Why not allow him to do that. He might get better doing it unhindered. Or drop him if we don't need that. It's equally pathetic to try to make him JO.

Like Shahwag, Jayasurya does it in opening & Afridi in variable order. I think there is a value for that ability as well.
Old September 7, 2008, 04:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Why not allow him to do that. He might get better doing it unhindered. Or drop him if we don't need that. It's equally pathetic to try to make him JO.

Like Shahwag, Jayasurya does it in opening & Afridi in variable order. I think there is a value for that ability as well.
Ok. Management should give him next 2 series for that. Play as you wish. Kill or get killed. Or do whatever you like while batting. If you cannot score continuously, you will be out of the team...This is the key.
Old September 7, 2008, 04:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

it's not trying to make him JO, ash can still attack just in a more safe more sensible manner, that needs to be the next step in his development as a batsman. aerial shots are ok but only if you're really sure you're going to hit the ball well and really sure you're going to clear the infield fielders. it's only logical that when a player keeps getting out caught in front of the wicket for them to learn how to hit the ball on the ground more often. you can still be an attacking aggressive batsman and play safe shots, and i'll tell you what, piercing the gap with a cover drive along the ground early in your innings is going to piss off the bowler and fielding team a lot more than hitting one in the air because it tells the bowler that i'm totally in control of you whereas an in the air shot means he's not as in control or he took the easy option so he's more a chance of getting out and the bowler likes that.

but there is no doubt ashraful is always nervous at the beginning of his innings and no doubt that contributes to the way he plays those first few balls, definitely something to work on. also he's had 7 years to play how he likes unhindered and he hasn't become consistent, i don't see why after so long he would suddenly become consistent playing that way.
Old September 7, 2008, 04:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
but there is no doubt ashraful is always nervous at the beginning of his innings and no doubt that contributes to the way he plays those first few balls, definitely something to work on. also he's had 7 years to play how he likes unhindered and he hasn't become consistent, i don't see why after so long he would suddenly become consistent playing that way.
Me too. Yet I want to give him the option before dropping him for a longer time. He won't be able to say I didn't get the chance to play the way I like to.
Old September 7, 2008, 04:38 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Ok. Management should give him next 2 series for that. Play as you wish. Kill or get killed. Or do whatever you like while batting. If you cannot score continuously, you will be out of the team...This is the key.
I think that will get a better result from him. Let the choice be with him.

Gowza, I get your point, but some things just don't work with some people. If he learns by himself, that's different, but I don't think that you can instil orthodoxy in his approach. Set him free, if he doesn't perform drop him. He seems to understand that language better than anything else.
Old September 7, 2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Wait a second. I thought he does go out there and play his natural game. Why else would he try to attack every ball? Almost everytime he is out there, he IS trying to dominate the bowling and failing. What he is not doing is settling down before attempting his shots. Except for Afridi and Jayasuriya, there isn't too many batsmen who actually know and have the experience of doing it from the first ball. Ash is still a newbie at this. There is very little indication (please DO NOT bring up that one 100 4 years ago - that's FOUR years) that Ash has the ability to do without settling down first.
Old September 7, 2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

By the way, I have no problem with ash trying his theory out. Just remember this, Official matches are not testing grounds. He should have done all his testing either in league matches or practice matches. In fact, we had 5 practice matches setup before the series just so we can tweak withthe batting order and get the batsmen a feelfor the wickets, weather, and find their rhythm. After 128 matches, it's kind of sad that he hasn't had enough confidence to know what his natural style is.
Old September 7, 2008, 05:21 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Neither Shewag nor Jayasuriah plays attacking shots on everyball. The both can play ver aggressive because they have a great ability to pick up the line and length of the ball early and have the balance to manouevre themselves to play those shots. Ash do not do that; he tries to slog just like Afridi. In fact Afridi is a horrible batsman when you consider his record and how he never changed his approach. Many argue that Afridi had single handedly own matches for Pak; and yes he did win few but at the same time he failed more often when it was required for a batsmen to take charge of a game to finish it. BD doesn't have many good batsmen to carry a game and if Ash wants to slog his way out of trouble or settle into his batting and selectors still wants to play him; it is only fair to the team to have someone else captain the team who can take responsibilities.
Old September 7, 2008, 06:15 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

I say let him play "his game", but don't give him any fixed batting slot (in ODIs). When the team is in trouble, don't send him before #6. When we have a good platform, he can come before 25th over. Let him open if we are chasing 300+.

If he still can't buy one 50+ score in every 4 innings, drop him for an extended period.
Old September 7, 2008, 06:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Completely agree with Dotball bhai.

Ash infact is trying to find a 'scapegoat' for his performance, but he lost himself in the process.
Old September 7, 2008, 06:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

ash still doesn't get it

he is a dumb guy. he never did/does/will get it.
Problem is, we fans and media made him hero out of nothing.
a guy playing international cricket for seven years and 150 ODIs averaging 20 (similar to Brett Lee and C. Vaas) and still we think he is our best batsman, our Tendi, our Bradman. What a fool we are!!!

Ash got all his liking, batting positions, license to kill, etc. etc. nothing will be changed.
Old September 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Tehsin bhai I am talking about his final chance. Not a normal one.
Old September 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
Cricket Savant

wait....why are we still talking about Afridi....his performance in ipl has been nothing short of horrendous...but his bowling...that's entirely different....in fact, he has found bowling to be his niche and solely concentrating on that....

but jayasuriya is a class batsman, so is sehwag....question is if ash is targetting to emulate afridi, his career will fizz out just like his batting...and he doesnt have the bowling to fall back on...other than a double bouncer miracle...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 7, 2008, 08:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehsin
There is very little indication (please DO NOT bring up that one 100 4 years ago - that's FOUR years) that Ash has the ability to do without settling down first.
he didn't attack from the get go in that 100. he had 10 runs from his first 30 balls or so. he let loose once he was settled.

he fired away from the get go in that 94 off 52, and also that whirlwind 67 against India in a test.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 7, 2008, 08:54 PM
Cricket Legend

u can dominate the bowlers playing ground shots too...
Old September 7, 2008, 09:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Ash needs to bat at number 6. This way player before him still thinks that there is a hope if he gets out hence plays better and by the time he comes in ball is not swinging and hence his stupid shots will reach boundaries more often then not.

Coach needs to understand this too. you can't make every one a Pointing. He is a poor mans afridi and let him be one please.

Some one needs to tell this to JS. He should have known this by looking at ahs's stats too...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old September 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Whats' next? Make a National team exclusively to serve and dedicate to Ash's career?

May be some of the comments in this thread explain what is wrong with our team. Some of us is really confused about what a team's role should be and what a player's role should be. i.e if a team should be serving and sacrifice for the need of a particular player or vice versa?

If Ash cannot serve effectively within the constrains of a team's need...tough luck...cut loss and move on... lets try to find someone who is eager to learn and adopt and start investing on those players instead.

Why should we give any particular player a free ticket to let him play his reckless style even its his natural style? If that is his natural style and that is the only way he can play and cannot adjust to team's need , then I would ask why we are even wasting our time and money in that player....and I would say that is one of the major reasons why we are not going anywhere....wasting our time and limited resource in these kind of useless players who may give us one eid innings once in a while but spreading the disease of Cancer in the process by confusing the rest of the players and fans about a team's strategy and enforcing a constant rules and regulation and what is expected from a player to stay in the team. By giving free ride to one player, pretty much screw of everything in the team in long run. And that is exactly happening in our team.

Last edited by Fazal; September 7, 2008 at 10:31 PM..
Old September 7, 2008, 11:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Still he is the safest bet to win u a game .........
Old September 8, 2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Whats' next? Make a National team exclusively to serve and dedicate to Ash's career?

May be some of the comments in this thread explain what is wrong with our team. Some of us is really confused about what a team's role should be and what a player's role should be. i.e if a team should be serving and sacrifice for the need of a particular player or vice versa?

If Ash cannot serve effectively within the constrains of a team's need...tough luck...cut loss and move on... lets try to find someone who is eager to learn and adopt and start investing on those players instead.

Why should we give any particular player a free ticket to let him play his reckless style even its his natural style? If that is his natural style and that is the only way he can play and cannot adjust to team's need , then I would ask why we are even wasting our time and money in that player....and I would say that is one of the major reasons why we are not going anywhere....wasting our time and limited resource in these kind of useless players who may give us one eid innings once in a while but spreading the disease of Cancer in the process by confusing the rest of the players and fans about a team's strategy and enforcing a constant rules and regulation and what is expected from a player to stay in the team. By giving free ride to one player, pretty much screw of everything in the team in long run. And that is exactly happening in our team.
Old September 8, 2008, 01:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Ditto to Fazal. And folks,, please dont compare Ashraful with Jayasuriya/Shewag.. Please dont insult those players. If you know their averages and their contribution to their individual team, you wouldnt compare them with our Ashraful. At best, compare Ashraful with Al Shahrier Rokon/Aftab or perhaps a player from the Bermuda/UAE team. Ashraful is a fluke and always has been a fluke because never have we seen a Ashraful consistently batting for more than 2 games or even innings for that matter. Heck, even Sakibul/Raqibul/Tamim is better than Ashraful average wise and contribution wise...
Old September 8, 2008, 06:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

vaishob, apnara keno aro ash re nia experiment korte chan bujtachi nah....ekta match valo kore to porer doshta match kharap.......eita goto 2002 theke hoye asche...vibbono coacher underea khelse shea...tarporo eki problem...apnara akhono bolen ash 4th downe khela uchit,5th downea khela uchit, 6th downea khela uchit................goto 5 yearsea shea bivinno positionea bat korse,kon positionea unnoti korse? Afsos
Old September 8, 2008, 07:44 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

This is simply called making a scapegoat out of an individual player. Next time we'll see Tamim Iqbal captaining the Bangladesh side at the age of 19 and repeating "Ashrafulesque" performance.
Old September 8, 2008, 07:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Azharuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Ash needs to bat at number 6.
I agree. Ashraful is at best a #6 or perhaps #5 in Bangladesh's context.

Question is, should someone who cannot play any other way than attack every ball be captain? A captain needs to adapt his playing style according to the need of the playing situation at any given time. We all saw how Ashraful played in all 3 matches in Darwin when the situation called for caution and just staying in the crease for a while.