facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 7, 2009, 07:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
WHat you are saying is called being cynical. Its not about assuming the best, I know I am right. I always am.
isn't this called delusion ?

Old September 5, 2011, 09:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Help!!!

For UCs (to be specific UCI) here are prompts for personal statement:

Quote:
Transfer applicant prompt

What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field — such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities — and what you have gained from your involvement.

Prompt for all applicants

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

Choose a topic for both essays.

Look critically at the information in your application: your grades, awards, activities and work experience, family and income. Anticipate questions an admissions evaluator will have after reading your application. The personal statement is your opportunity to answer those questions.
Now I haven't done much of student body organizations and clubs or any other internship that will help with my mathematics major. What to do? Also my GPA is very frail. Can't divulge more here...will someone inbox me for tips and help? Thanks!

Since you guys "know me" from virtual bytes of about 15,000 posts can you suggest what will I highlight?

Thanks. Please help!

Old September 6, 2011, 06:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

^^ ZeeshanM,

if anything, your sense of humor really stands out. also, Sometimes, you bring life into a crowd through your clever usage of words...

Yes, everyone(well, at least amongst the majority of the members who have known you for more than a couple of years here in BanglaCricket) talks about and compares "Who is the funniest man in BC"...but the reality is everyone is unique has has their own world of experiences and thought paradigms to draw upon, so it is not really fair to judge anyone based on one single criteria for a sense of humor, but despite all that, your sense of humor really stands out !

your interest and enthusiasm for life long learning is also another commendable noteworthy trait.
Old September 6, 2011, 07:11 PM
Cricket Sage

I forgot, Gopal wrote a quite a fair amount of cricket articles here. also, i think being part of "BC Staff
Member, Article Editorial Board"
is definitely an extracurricular activity that you can be proud of and that should count
Old September 6, 2011, 07:34 PM
Cricket Savant

Thanks for the compliment Rifat. But lol they want something that will contribute to my major...I don't think they want a clown who will eventually be a researcher of maths... :p

And about articles, well they won't be too enthusiastic about a foreign sport. You are in University of CT right? Other than your GPA, what was your strength that got you in if I may ask?
Old September 7, 2011, 10:05 PM
Cricket Sage

^^^the thing is: I was heavily involved in a lot of after school extracurricular activities...I graduated at the top 20% fo my class from high school with Alhamdulillah GPA 3.52(don't be fooled by this number, this is not that difficult thing to do , In fact by the BANGLADESHI STANDARD, THIS IS QUITE POOR ). I was part of National Honor Society, president of the chess club, environmental club, film club, spanish club, history club to name a few...i also did a lot of community service. i also applied very very very early i got my acceptance letter on january first, 2007 SubhanAllah!

to help you out here, What colleges really look for is leadership qualities.: for starters, the best analogy i can think of is leading prayer in masjid or organizing events/fundraisers or any club...or even more simple if you say something like I took a job at a grocery store just so i can pay off bills, in my book, I consider that a leadership quality because you took Responsibility...

long story short: have you done anything in your life that others consider you responsible for? anything, it could be mowing the lawn for your neighbor, or coaching a little league baseball team, no matter how small the achievement is: if anything that shows that you took responsibility/successful completion of a certain task/project, the people who will read your application should be very impressed .

They want to know you as a person, they also want to know what are some of your hobbies, which tells a lot about the person. These information will tell them that what this person is capable of giving to our university/community.

How about tutoring? have you tutored anyone on math? that counts too....

I forgot to mention one last thing, you are excellent with minute details, you know pretty much a lot of things about a lot of people here that some members don't :p

hobbies and interests: I know you love food,i do too btw ...so have you ever cooked for a big group? these things count...