facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 12, 2018, 05:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340
Default Boishakhi Mela 2K18 @ Olympic Park

So anyone going to the one in Olympic Park. Missed out the one in Fairfield.

Question to Melbournians: Do you guys even have Bangladeshi theme mela's of this size?. Another reason why Sydney is the greatest Australian city.

Estimated attendance expected to top 35000.

Old April 12, 2018, 08:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

i go like every year. But ceebs this time around. When it was at the athletics field it was really good. Hate the location where they do it at now.
Old April 12, 2018, 08:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

We will have two Boishakhi mela at the same day same time. Bengali still can't get along even in a small community like Little Rock. One is free for all, indoors, stalls etc. The other one if you participate, you are to contribute cooking and performing, outdoors, picnic type settings. I am attending none. Ajaira problem create koray.
Old April 12, 2018, 08:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Yeah, last year - we had a total of I believe 58-59 separate 'Esho He Baishaakh' Melas within the tri-state (greater New York metropolitan area) with an attendance of like 450,000+ Bangladeshis and Kolkatans . Plus many lots other Indians and 100+ thousands non-Asian Americanos (white, blacks, Greeks, Dominicanos, Cubanos, PRicans and Haitians) that show up for the free samosas and Mehedi and the dance and balloons!

We ended up having almost 60 different melas because of a number of them were hosted by BNP -NYC, BNP New Jersey and greater Connecticut, BNP Garden State, BNP Jackson Heights, BNP Jubo Shongho Kew Garden and Flushings + Greater NYC BNP Brahmanbaria Chhatro Dol etc. etc.

Then we also had 30+ melas and Shangiskritik Onusthhan, Odhibeshon, Lok shobha, Mehfil-Monajaat (in Bangla, with sitaar music in the background), Kangaal bhoj (for non-Asian Amercanos), Naach-gaan Rabrindro Sangeet, Polli-gitee, Nazrul shangeet, Kobita Abreetee etc etc. hosted by the Greater NYC BAl Noakhali Purbo para chhatro league and Garden State + New Jersey Jubo League and Brahmanbaria + Akhaura Shodor Jackson Heights Bashi Ucchango geetee + Moncho nayok-naika shomotee!
Old April 12, 2018, 09:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Last year, we had Sabina Yasmin as NYC BNP melas chief guest (ribbon cutter) and Runa Laila and Babita as chief guests to the NYC BAL organized melas and shangiskritik Onusthhaan ribbon cutter.

We are so big, we were even mentioned and broadcasted at the evening news by CNN, NBC, NPR, ABC and CBS

Ohh the year before last, we had Connie Chung, Brian Williams, Oprah and Mike Tyson at the Melas...We had so many celebrities that we could not even manage to give seat to everyone. Some of them stood in line and left. Also oneke khawa pai nai!

One year George Bush and Bill Clinton both came. Every year Chelsea Clinton is a regualr at our Baishakhi Melas...She is good, she understands, so she attends both BAL and BNP melas with her husband
Old April 12, 2018, 09:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Most of those gatherings in NYC shows you how uncultured we are as a nation putting finger in your eyes.

If you want a cultured, decent and educated gathering you need to get out of tri-state and move north. Join us in Boston this 29th for a genuine fair and cultural show which represents Bangladesh properly while keeping restraint and content atmosphere for all age groups.
Old April 12, 2018, 09:12 AM
Cricket Savant

We even import original Old Dhakaiya Nagor Dolas for our NYC melas every year.
Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins both rode a Palki one year at our Greater NYC Brahmanbiran festival, and I was one of the 8 guys who carried the palki ...Maggoo maa, ki ojon Holywood! We gave a lot Bangla galis for not electing Hillary!
Old April 12, 2018, 09:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Most of those gatherings in NYC shows you how uncultured we are as a nation putting finger in your eyes.

If you want a cultured, decent and educated gathering you need to get out of tri-state and move north. Join us in Boston this 29th for a genuine fair and cultural show which represents Bangladesh properly while keeping restraint and content atmosphere for all age groups.
Yeah, one problem we are facing each and every year is that people spit and urinate at the melas and NYPD has to arrest a few. But people are not afraid, why? Because NYPD does not know how to Laathi-charge and chhotrobhogo the Bangals!

Half of the NYPD officers are female cops, Brahmanbairans stare at them haa kore takiye thake kintoo kotha shune naa...Shudhu apu apu, aunti aunti korey and ask for the female cops' digits, Mota lady Police dekhley Brahmanbarian-der matha thik theka naa - even Jail-e jaitey raji...! They are lucky the cops just laugh and don't choke hold them to death, out of kindness I guess. NYPD knows Bangladeshis are strange, but nice and harmless and decent people. Only peeing in public and spitting, coughing is the slight problem.
Old April 12, 2018, 09:19 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
We will have two Boishakhi mela at the same day same time. Bengali still can't get along even in a small community like Little Rock. One is free for all, indoors, stalls etc. The other one if you participate, you are to contribute cooking and performing, outdoors, picnic type settings. I am attending none. Ajaira problem create koray.
haha. same here. my city probably has 100 Bengalis at max and they are having 2 separate events because of jhogra. I couldn't care less about songs/dances but have to go for the bhortas and all delicious foods. tin charta ilish mach kheye felbo.
Old April 12, 2018, 09:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Kajer kotha bolo BK_Dada,

tomar buddy daynight ke ban korecho keno?
Old April 12, 2018, 06:45 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
So anyone going to the one in Olympic Park. Missed out the one in Fairfield.

Question to Melbournians: Do you guys even have Bangladeshi theme mela's of this size?. Another reason why Sydney is the greatest Australian city.

Estimated attendance expected to top 35000.

F me dead, Bangla melas are the measure of greatness. Fair Dinkum mate?

Yep there's one at Birrarung Marr (CBD) this year if that gets us bogans over the line. My mum usually pops into such events. I haven't been to any Bangla event in a decade or more, with my Bangla I'm just a galah at these dos anyway.

Cheers(for the rest)/Regards(for me OZ mate DR)
Siraj