facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 3, 2012, 11:29 PM
Cricket Savant

@iDumb,

What do you think of the lady with da mic?

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...postcount=3324

p.s. Hanif Shonkey is a big time pimp daddy

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old May 3, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Naimul bhai, but I think we are one of the least interracial mixed nation. You can identify a Bengali from a crowd of thousands. In train or street in NY, I can easily spot a Bengali among the other desi types. There are something about us. The eyes or the nose clearly gives it away.
I was talking about 16th & 17th century since zunaid bhai mentioned about ancient era.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Lol...why mate !

As Zunaid bhai mentioned, we all are mixed. I think bengalis are the most interracial mixed nation. Dont forget about Portuguese, Dutch influence too before british people came here.
Quote:
Naimul bhai, but I think we are one of the least interracial mixed nation. You can identify a Bengali from a crowd of thousands. In train or street in NY, I can easily spot a Bengali among the other desi types. There are something about us. The eyes or the nose clearly gives it away.
In my opinion, you are both correct.

Bengalis came to be via inter mingling of many races in the BC to form the core of what once defines to be a Bengali. Subsequently we did have a continuous stream of injection of other races but the mixing has not been as significant save for during the Mughal era where some settled and married in and assimilated into society.

Like Mufi, I can tell most Bangalis quite easily. We became what we mostly look like a couple of thousand years ago but are still adjusting ourselves.

Last edited by Zunaid; May 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM..
Old May 4, 2012, 12:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

I heard from my mother that ancestors from both my parents' side came from Saudi Arabia. But yes, I'm very much thrilled to know more....
Old May 4, 2012, 01:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I have to call bullshyt. There are many Iranians, Iraqis, Saudis, Yemenis, Pakis, Indians who look like your average Bengali. Fact.

You cannot identify them by their features. The migration patterns were never consistent mind you, the gene pool has become very mixed for virtually all corners of the world.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
I'm sorry, but I have to call bullshyt. There are many Iranians, Iraqis, Saudis, Yemenis, Pakis, Indians who look like your average Bengali. Fact.

You cannot identify them by their features. The migration patterns were never consistent mind you, the gene pool has become very mixed for virtually all corners of the world.
I have to completely agree with Roey here..there have been many incidents where I thought a Iranian/Saudi as Bengali or vice versa! You cannot differentiate between races nowadays!

On top of that, why do we even forget people from the hill tracks? I have lots of tripura/chakma friends who ou cannot differentiate whether they are from Bangladesh or any other Asian countries
Old May 4, 2012, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
On top of that, why do we even forget people from the hill tracks? I have lots of tripura/chakma friends who ou cannot differentiate whether they are from Bangladesh or any other Asian countries
We are talking about Bengalis.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

hmm interesting thread. I have relatives with blue/green/gray eyes.
I don't know what difference it makes but I'm enjoying the posts here
Old May 4, 2012, 02:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Origin- Dravidian
First Mix- Aryans around 200 BC, as that's the time when Aryans came into the subcontinent.
2nd Mix: During Ashoka, the buddists travelled to all parts of India from his kingdom. Center of his kingdom was in Peshawar (Current) and kingdom extended as far as some of the central Asian countries.
3rd Mix: Arab Sufis and Muslim invaders from the west into India.
4th Mix: Chengis Khans Mongolites
5th Mix: Mughals: who has Persian and Mongolite mix Jin, as descendants of Chengis Khan.
6th Mix: British and Potugeese ..
7th Mix: Neighbours Always have influence on each others, Indian neighbors have similar ancenstory like us, but our Mongolite neighbors Myanmar has had prolonged influence through chittagonians.

Beng a riverside country, Many other population from as far as Middleest, Iran etc countries have migrated and settled in BD. In search of fertile lands and some due to religious repression in their own country, like Sunni Muslims of Iran and other Shia dominated areas.

Pretty hard to find our origin. We have all kinds of people amongst us, and it's hard to understand all Bangaleese in first look, well, by seeing labors/other non elite working people it may be relatively easy to guess.... But elite professionals are very difficult to guess, like Shahadat looks like Pakistani, as many tell him.

Last edited by BANFAN; May 4, 2012 at 04:43 AM..
Old May 4, 2012, 04:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

No 1-mixed race
No 2-the pollution in BD blocks out the sun to such an extent, people don't pigment as heavily (regardign the so called lighter skin)-bring them to Aus and they'll darken provided sufficient sun exposure (the stuff about the sun being blocked probably isn't true but the fact is when they go overseas their pigmentation changes )
3-features can be affected by the environmental facotrs-epigenetic silencing comes to mind, but even in studies they have separated identical twins and placed them in different parts of the world-the adults have quite strikingly different features based on where they grew up

Not good enough to say-from such and such a place. Variations exist in every race
Old May 4, 2012, 05:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

junaed siddique has pakistani ancestors.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old May 4, 2012, 05:10 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

there are many instances where i thought a Spanish girl/guy was from Bangladesh. I was mistaken for being Hispanic many times...
Old May 4, 2012, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
there are many instances where i thought a Spanish girl/guy was from Bangladesh. I was mistaken for being Hispanic many times...
It's the you all look alike syndrome.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

my ancestors were Vikaramaparyan.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:41 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque

I don't really agree with you. A common non-elite Bengali person is really distinguishable from the other desi types. Yes there are mixes of Arab/Persian but with a population of 160+ million people, there would be exceptions. Well, especially Bengali males are very easy to distinguish from others . It is hard sometimes to identify females

Look at our cricketers/celebs. I believe Mohammed Rafique has the look of everyday common Bengali

While Nasir Hossain/Shakib Khan might have that mix

Old May 4, 2012, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: YOURFACE

^ok this Shakib Khan looks like he has "bengali features", just sayin'...
and is he wearing lipstick ?!?
Old May 4, 2012, 09:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaHiMa
^ok this Shakib Khan looks like he has "bengali features", just sayin'...
and is he wearing lipstick ?!?
well most of the sub cont. heru s wear lipstick.
it started from Rajesh Khanna's juug.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

^oh didn't know it started from Rajesh Khanna....looks like GURU researched a lot about it
Old May 4, 2012, 11:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Well, I don't know either we are more or less interracial nation, but the reason you can spot a Bangali among the crowd is because of our "khet type" look. Yes, I mean it in a derogatory sense. We truly are Bangal. We are some callous bunch.
Quote:
Old May 4, 2012, 12:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Same here. Lot of Hispanics used to ask me abla espanyol ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Old May 4, 2012, 01:05 PM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaHiMa
^ok this Shakib Khan looks like he has "bengali features", ...and is he wearing lipstick ?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
well most of the sub cont. heru s wear lipstick.
খান বংশের ইজ্জত ডুবাইসে
Old May 4, 2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

It's pretty easy to tell different kinds of South Asians apart from each other. Heck I can even distinguish among different kinds of East Asians.

For Bangladeshis, it's gotta be the bhaat khawa chehahara. No matter how little rice you have in your daily diet, if you have Bangladeshi parents, you're cursed, except for very few exceptions.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:24 PM
Cricket Savant

living in abroad I realized one thing that we BDeshis are not tall at all so many Ashrafulio sized people
Old May 4, 2012, 08:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
I don't really agree with you. A common non-elite Bengali person is really distinguishable from the other desi types. Yes there are mixes of Arab/Persian but with a population of 160+ million people, there would be exceptions. Well, especially Bengali males are very easy to distinguish from others . It is hard sometimes to identify females

Look at our cricketers/celebs. I believe Mohammed Rafique has the look of everyday common Bengali

While Nasir Hossain/Shakib Khan might have that mix

LOL
make up doesn't count
Love the comment about "Bhaat khaoa facies" lol
Old May 4, 2012, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
It's pretty easy to tell different kinds of South Asians apart from each other. Heck I can even distinguish among different kinds of East Asians.

For Bangladeshis, it's gotta be the bhaat khawa chehahara. No matter how little rice you have in your daily diet, if you have Bangladeshi parents, you're cursed, except for very few exceptions.
Funny. That's why I've cut down on the rice. Doesn't help. Just makes me crankier still.

I agree with your comment on being able to distinguish between SAsians and East Asians. It's pretty easy to tell between Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans. A bit harder for Indo China - but you can identify a Cambodian from a group of Vietnamese. It's more subtle but still doable for most Slavic folks, the Dutch, and Germanic/Teutonic folks. In Africa - fairly easy to identify Somalians and Ethiopeans or East Africans from the general Bantu stock. All of this will be moot I hope as we become a more mobile and blend.