facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 22, 2012, 03:32 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default The PL Syndrome

With all the "PL"s going on, is there a chance that cricket will be same in next 10/15 years? Now we have IPL, BPL, SLPL, and few other T20 leagues going on throughout the year. I am sure the numbers will increase over time. Popularity of T20 leagues are undeniable.

If all test playing countries have at least 1 league, then that's 10; but lets say everyone isn't capable of running a league and assume a small number, say we end up with 6. That's 6 months out of the year, when players would be engaged in some sort of PLs.

If you take current approach, i.e. national game is more important than PLs, then boards would have to continue with their FTP with restricting national team players from participating in any PLs. Players who don't get selected in the national team might actually get to make more money by getting a call up to one of the running PLs.

Like everything, in time, money will win out. Players would want to participate in PLs rather than go for month long tours with less financial incentives. Yes, national pride has some opportunity cost, but that steam will run out competing against $$$ in PLs.

So, whats the future? Will ODI & Test cricket die out (at least current FTP)? Teams would probably end up with less tours and more participation in PLs. What would make FTP viable, more money?
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.

Old May 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Test will survive no matter what

Odi is on its last breath

i dont think zim and wi has the money to start their own PL..pak will have to start their PL in neutral venue so how much of a success will that be remains to be seen...all other countries could start their own PL..so thats 7

But i believe if all these PLs start, it will be because of these PLs t20 will die of overdose and Odis will re-surge
Old May 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I doubt you will have pl overdose
As long as there are players from your country, you would be following.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.

Last edited by Nasif; May 22, 2012 at 05:47 PM..
Old May 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
Cricket Sage

I agree with Nekre Test will survive no matter what. Ask all the big name players they will tell you they wanna leave their name amongst the best in the longer version.

IPL is the only league that is capable of putting a complete stop in the Cricket Calendar. The best thing to do right now is to put IPL in the cricket calendar. IPL is here to stay, so everyone will have to adjust to that. In order for smaller leagues like BPL, SLPL, PPL to be succesfull they have to find small windows in the cricket calendar and try to host it. I can't see players like Steyn, AB, Pietersen choosing to play in these small T20 leagues over playing ODI or Test for their respective country. Not everyone is gayle or Pollard, they will want to take the breaks they can get to stay healthy so they can be ready for the next tour or IPL.
Old May 22, 2012, 06:32 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

test must die out so cricket can grow...odis should stay for world cups and series and t20s will be here to rock the world.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:46 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

All I can say is, ODI is still my fav and enjoy the most. Test is like a 7 course meal, if done right can be a real treat, but you don't have the time and money for it most of the time. Also, the chefs screw it up more often than not.

ODI is a regular meal at a decent restaurant.

T20 is McDonalds.
Old May 23, 2012, 03:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

I love test cricket when good teams such as Australia play. I love ODI's only when Bangladesh is playing. T20 is a free for all
Old May 23, 2012, 03:42 AM
MLC World Series I

Naah I don't think so, only the established and premier T20 players like Gayle, Malinga, Hodge etc will be busy.. Other non-Asian leagues only allow 1-2 overseas players in their XI and they look for established players.
Old May 27, 2012, 05:57 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
All I can say is, ODI is still my fav and enjoy the most. Test is like a 7 course meal, if done right can be a real treat, but you don't have the time and money for it most of the time. Also, the chefs screw it up more often than not.

ODI is a regular meal at a decent restaurant.

T20 is McDonalds.
Hence atherogenic and potentially fatal

DOn't want too many more PL's
Like the aussie name though-Big Bash-
Old May 27, 2012, 06:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
With all the "PL"s going on, is there a chance that cricket will be same in next 10/15 years? Now we have IPL, BPL, SLPL, and few other T20 leagues going on throughout the year. I am sure the numbers will increase over time. Popularity of T20 leagues are undeniable.

If all test playing countries have at least 1 league, then that's 10; but lets say everyone isn't capable of running a league and assume a small number, say we end up with 6. That's 6 months out of the year, when players would be engaged in some sort of PLs.

If you take current approach, i.e. national game is more important than PLs, then boards would have to continue with their FTP with restricting national team players from participating in any PLs. Players who don't get selected in the national team might actually get to make more money by getting a call up to one of the running PLs.

Like everything, in time, money will win out. Players would want to participate in PLs rather than go for month long tours with less financial incentives. Yes, national pride has some opportunity cost, but that steam will run out competing against $$$ in PLs.

So, whats the future? Will ODI & Test cricket die out (at least current FTP)? Teams would probably end up with less tours and more participation in PLs. What would make FTP viable, more money?
I hate the Bollywoody hype surrounding the IPL (overall khyatami, Shatneresque overacting stars and lipsynching @$$clowns, cheerleaders, sideline interviews, talking to players on the field, "perpetrating" bimbo and mimbo presenters with that VW accent, the horribly repeated horrible TVCs) but find T20 intriguing in its own right. It's pressure packed and challenges cricketing strategy and temperament in bold new ways for everyone involved. Also as a format that lasts 3 hours max, much like our baseball, it's perfect for the hectic lives we live in urban sprawls like Dhaka. It will last but I see it being consolidated as an MLB type international league played all year 'round with a world championship series every year. It's also a great gateway to real cricket, I.e. test cricket. ODIs have their unique charm also as something in between and I think all 3 will survive.

T20s will be played the most, and we'll see lots of best of 7, home and away series, necessitating large and deep rosters for all international sides. The number of tests and ODIs played each year will be less unless we have that type of roster. T20 will continue become a great way to assess young players, and to positively impact batting and bowling SRs, and fielding. Therefore T20s will continue to positively impact cricket as a whole, no matter the format.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)