facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default Only Tamim up for auction for IPL 5

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/11687133.cms

144 players to go under the hammer in IPL 5 auction

PTI | Jan 30, 2012, 05.42PM IST

"The shortlist comprises some outstanding cricket talent. Given that it was prepared on the basis of the feedback of the franchises themselves," IPL chairman Rajeev Shukla said. (TOI Photo)

NEW DELHI: As many as 144 players, including Indian Test batsman VVS Laxman, pacer S Sreesanth and all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja, will go under the hammer when the players auction for the fifth edition of the Indian Premier League is held in Bangalore on February 4.

RP singh, Parthiv Patel, Ramesh Powar, R Vinay Kumar and VRV Singh will be the other Indian players who will be up for grabs at the ITC Royal Gardenia.

Brad Hogg, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Usman Khawaja, Luke Ronchi are among the 16 players from Australia who will be up for sale.

From England, 13 cricketers, including James Anderson, Ian Bell, Owais Shah, Ravi Bopara, Graeme Swann and Chris Tremlett will be up for grabs.

South Africa and New Zealand will have 19 and 10 players respectively, while dashing opener Tamim Iqbal will be the lone cricketer from Bangladesh to go under the hammer.

Sri Lanka will have as many as 18 cricketers, while West Indies and Zimbabwe will have 16 and seven players respectively in the auction list.

Tom Cooper, who played 18 ODIs will be the sole player from Holland, while O'Brien brothers - Niall and Kevin - from Ireland will also be up for auction.

"The shortlist comprises some outstanding cricket talent. Given that it was prepared on the basis of the feedback of the franchises themselves, the stage is set for an exciting and eventful player auction, this Saturday," IPL chairman Rajeev Shukla said in a statement.

"The Franchises purchased the bulk of their respective squads in 2011. Their aim at the upcoming auction will be to bring in some players who can make a difference to their prospects in the tournament. The auction will mark the formal opening of IPL 2012," Shukla added.

Besides Johan van der Wath, who played 10 ODIs and eight T20s, as many as 10 uncapped cricketers from South Africa will also be up for sale.

All-rounder Sachithra Senanayake from Sri Lanka and three other uncapped players from the West Indies will also be in the list.

Old January 30, 2012, 09:27 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Just as expected. So those who missed out must play extra-ordinarily in BPL to keep their option open just in case any player gets injured.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

What a joke!

SL - 18 players including Sachitra Senenayake
WI - 16 players ( 3 uncapped)
Zim - 7 players

BD - 1 player.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
Cricket Legend

I hope Tamim going unsold in the auction. It will be good for him
Old January 30, 2012, 10:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

even 2 Irish players on the list.

No doubt that most of the Zim players will be unsold, but picking 7 of them whereas only 1 player from Bangladesh will surely raise the question regarding IPL governing bodies decision. To be honest, i dont see tamim getting a team in IPL 5 either.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
What a joke!

SL - 18 players including Sachitra Senenayake
WI - 16 players ( 3 uncapped)
Zim - 7 players

BD - 1 player.
+ Ireland - 2

We're pathetic in this format of the game. Then again, we're pathetic in the other two as well.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat @cri
I hope Tamim going unsold in the auction. It will be good for him
Good or bad, that's probably what will happen, unless the under-the-table deal mentioned in the other thread actually did go through. That, or he will be sold at the price of livestock and get only a game or two.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:58 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
+ Ireland - 2

We're pathetic in this format of the game. Then again, we're pathetic in the other two as well.
But Zim and Ireland aren't that much better than us either. Even WI has 3 uncapped players. It is just pure discrimination.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Thats pathetic..Zim players arent any better than ours. Tamim should get a team but dont think he'll
Old January 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Test Cricketer

being on the list means nothing......most people dont get sold anyway.......Ill get pricky and do the zimbo/associate versus bd analysis when they get sold..

Last edited by dash; January 30, 2012 at 01:35 PM..
Old January 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

I'm alright with a lot of the Lankans and Windian players being there since their good T20 players but Zimbabwe has 7 players and then we have only 1? Like WTF. We should have had more players in the auction then that. Thank god BCB created BPL. Or else we would continue to be disappointed.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:22 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat @cri
Zimbabwe has 7 players and BD has only Tamim. [rant edited]
I don't understand why you have fingered at India while IPL is govern by BCCI not Indian government. You should maintain some decency when you are on a public forum. Are we (India) bad neighbor? Please read some history.

Just try to accept simple facts that BD didn't have good T20 player, when they will be able to provide, for sure more and more players can be seen in the world arena.

I too agree that some of ZIM player doesn't deserve to get a team and in my opinion they won't get a team for sure. The auction is for only those players who didn't have a team in IPL. Some of BD players are already in Squad of some IPL team like Sakib in KKR.

Last edited by Zunaid; January 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old January 31, 2012, 04:08 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Guys who cares? We need to improve on test cricket..... This IPL **** isnt taking India, Sri Lanka anywhere except money. India is going down a downward slope right now and they will continue to do so. I dont remember the last time in 2 years where we got humiliated like the way Indians are. Follow Clarke, Strauss, Ponting and not Shewag, Dhoni and Malinga. Bangladeshi players need to commit themselves to the longer formats and stick to that. These IPL contracts should never be their target. The Zimbabweans and Irish players hit pretty well so it makes sense to have them in auction. But wow, have em play against us at home and they will be nothing but destruction. With the way our younger generation playing right now, i have high hopes for our cricket.
Old February 4, 2012, 01:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

11:42
George Binoy:
There's no bid for Tamim Iqbal. Unsold.

11:42
George Binoy:
The first one under the hammer is Bangladesh's Tamim Iqbal. Base price $50,000.

CI