facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

A few things amazed me about Tendulkar's 200. When I watched the highlights of that inning, I couldn't help but marvel at the man's batting genius. I liked it all. The timing, placement, perfect defence, the balance between attack and defence, the unassuming way he treated each ball, belligerence puntuated with artistic clips off the pads. It was pure magic.

Tendulkar deserves praise for being the first to reach the landmark of 200 in 50 overs cricket. Achieving a double hundred in any format is not an easy feat, just ask Jaques Kallis. Tying and breaking records take lot of mental strength and self belief. Tendulkar showed a lot of courage in not opting for a runner despite visible cramps when most people in his place would have asked for one at the first sign of cramp. I was glad to see him run for all his runs.

I beg to differ slightly with those who said Saeed Anwar was not a great player. Saeed Anwar in the ODI format, (50 overs contest) should be seen as one of the great (top 10) batsmen of his era. While he was still playing he had the second highest number of centuries before retiring prematurely. The hallmark of great player according to me in addition to being consistent, should also include the ability to assert dominance over all opposition at all time. Saeed did it consistently in ODIs against all opposition for a significant period of time.

My ODI best batsmen ranking:

1) Tendulkar
2) Viv Richards
3) Sanath Jayasuriya
4) Ponting
5) Lara (others above have accomplished more in ODIs)
6) Gilchrist
7) Hayden
8) Saeed Anwar
9) Inzi
10)Bevan

Old March 7, 2010, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
I don't know what makes you think that. near 200 scores were as common then as they are now.

180+ scores by decade :
1980's
richards 189* vs eng
richards 181 vs SL

1990's

ganguly 183 v SL
kirsten 188* v UAE
sachin 186* v NZ
anwar 194 v Ind
2000's
hayden 181* v NZ
dhoni 183* v SL
jayasuriya 189 v Ind
coventry 194* v BD
2010's
sachin 200* v SA
Here is why I said the 200 mark was beyond expectations, before Sayeed Anwar scored the 194, only 3 batsmen crossed the 175 mark since 1971. That includes 2 innings from Viv Richards, and 3 innings from over a decade ago when ODI cricket was a 60 over game. Kapil's 175* came in a 60 over game, and Viv's 175+ scores came in a 55 over and one 50 over game.
So, only twice in the previous 1208 games did anyone come close to 200. [once against a less than ordinary UAE attack.] That shows why a 200 was so unexpected from a batsman in that period, specially against an international class bowling attack.
But in recent times, due to the T20 revolution, the heavier bats, smaller grounds, field restrictions etc scoring quickly is fast becoming the norm. And when you see people scoring 100+ in a 20 over game, a 200 in a 50 over game is not beyond expectations.
I have no intentions of undermining the greatness of the 200* by SRT. I honestly felt privileged to be able to see the knock live. And perhaps the best ODI innings I have seen[or will ever see]
Old March 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Agree with you there ... imagine what Anwar would have done if he had just started powerplay on that 44th over ... not to mention all these free hits which was unheard of back then ... that still id the best innings I ever saw in ODI cricket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
Here is why I said the 200 mark was beyond expectations, before Sayeed Anwar scored the 194, only 3 batsmen crossed the 175 mark since 1971. That includes 2 innings from Viv Richards, and 3 innings from over a decade ago when ODI cricket was a 60 over game. Kapil's 175* came in a 60 over game, and Viv's 175+ scores came in a 55 over and one 50 over game.
So, only twice in the previous 1208 games did anyone come close to 200. [once against a less than ordinary UAE attack.] That shows why a 200 was so unexpected from a batsman in that period, specially against an international class bowling attack.
But in recent times, due to the T20 revolution, the heavier bats, smaller grounds, field restrictions etc scoring quickly is fast becoming the norm. And when you see people scoring 100+ in a 20 over game, a 200 in a 50 over game is not beyond expectations.
I have no intentions of undermining the greatness of the 200* by SRT. I honestly felt privileged to be able to see the knock live. And perhaps the best ODI innings I have seen[or will ever see]

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)