facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Is it possible to score 1000 runs?

Theoretically the answer is an emphatic yes. After all given 90 overs for 5 days we have 450 overs or rather 2700 possible deliveries. Now in a space of where a team endowed with superhuman can possibly score 16,200 runs, an individual score of 1000 runs does not seem that much of a glare.

But since reality does not peter out from theory let us do take a look at the records that came closing to even sniffing something close to that feat.

In the month of December in Sheffield, MCG, Victoria would go on the beat New South Wales by an innings and 656 runs in a match otherwise would be forever marked with an asterisk for the highest total in an innings by a team in first-class format of the sport of a cetacean 1107 runs.

Fast forward to 1997 in August and we have another ceremonious runfest marked with Rabelasian footnotes of Sanath scoring 340 off 578 balls and Mahanama scoring 225 off 576 balls to boost a highest partnership (of any wicket) of 576*. The result? An epic 952 runs where Aravinda de Silva's 126 runs appeared as mere chump change.

All these of lore and legend may be a curio's Holy Grail, but they come nowhere near as to shedding light if a mortal is willing enough to score 1000 runs in a Test match.

The close someone came was obviously Brian Lara's 501* playing for Warwickshire. It took place on 1994 against Durham and the match was drawn for a tally of 810 runs in the first innings of Lara's team. Of course, it was a first class match and Lara would outdo himself by taking the record of the international arena too scoring 400* in Antigua.

Suppose an opener wanted to reach that milestone and with support from #2 batsman he wanted to reach 1000 runs. To reach 1000 out of 16,200 possible runs he only needs to face 6.17% of the deliveries (1000 balls) ie assuming he does not run out of partners. But let us be conservative. Let us consider Bangladeshi batsman Javed Omar Belim. He has a Test SR of 38.14. So at that rate to reach 1000 he needs to face 2621.92 balls. As mentioned previously there are only 2700 balls in 5 days.

Morale of the story? 1000 runs out of 162000 is so measly that even Gullu can score it.

Old November 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Yes because the other batsmen will only bat 78 deliveries in 5 days =p To ensure that this would happen and given Golla's SR, it would mean that he would have to take a single at the end of almost every over (450 runs) and hit a four every 3-4 overs (552 runs).

You know he won't be able to hit that many fours...haha
Old November 24, 2011, 07:19 PM
Cricket Savant

I like how the only non-Bangladeshi comments on this thread after my rant on other thread. HAHA
Old November 24, 2011, 09:22 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^^ Bhai, ami toh 100% khati Bangladeshi. Shobuj passport and all.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:46 PM
Cricket Savant

^Oooh...ami aru bhebechilum apnee abar Neel- dar protibeshi naki.... :-)
Old November 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Front pej doctor zed!
Front pej doctor zed!

ki tomra keu kichu bolcho na keno...shobai tomra chup keno...keno! keno!
Old November 25, 2011, 05:16 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I believe fatigue will be the biggest factor for such an inhuman feat. Plus, the captain will have to not declare for this to happen.
Old November 28, 2011, 04:16 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Technically it is possible for a batsman to score 15,750 runs in one match given that we get full days of play for the five days. So, scoring 1000 runs should be trivial at best. So yes, it is possible to surpass Sachin's 20 year of accomplishments in five days.
Old November 28, 2011, 04:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
Technically it is possible for a batsman to score 15,750 runs in one match given that we get full days of play for the five days. So, scoring 1000 runs should be trivial at best.
How? Mind sharing how you got the number?
Old November 28, 2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
How? Mind sharing how you got the number?
90 overs a day. Batsman hits five sixes and then takes a single each over and continues this pattern until the last over in fifth day. Simple really.
Old November 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
Cricket Savant

^Thanks. I was hoping that there is other way to maximize his score. Btw..you cannot just walk in and pwn my thread like that...
Old November 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
^Thanks. I was hoping that there is other way to maximize his score. Btw..you cannot just walk in and pwn my thread like that...
Sure there is. In fact there are multiple ways.

Take 3 off the last ball instead of 1, for instance.
Old November 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Why take a single on the last ball and not three or even contrive to get more odd numbered runs. One can even contrive to get an arbitrarily high number of runs first ball. Batsman hits the ball and the fielders keep shying at the stumps but missing all the time. Batsmen keep running back and forth until one of them keels over and dies or bad light stops play. How many runs can one score this way? Hmmm. One run means running 22 yards. A marathon is about 46K yards. One marathon is then equivalent to making about 1000 runs. Champion marathoners complete the run in about 2 hours - so you have the possibility of scoring 1000 runs per session. Now, can the umpire stop the running since you never get into a dead ball situation?

Someone take it from here. Damn today's youngsters. No imagination.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old November 28, 2011, 05:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Einstein on crease. Times the ball to coordinate with NASA launch in nearby wheat field in Nebraska where World Cup is taking place after USA got the nod. Ball gets stuck to the rocket and then batsmen runs.

Shuttle gets lost in space and crashes since the ball was lodged in the vent. Shuttle explodes and takes the balls debris through wormhole where future cricket is taking place....

Infinity runs are possible. However, hypermahlo cardinal runs is a different issue altogether...
Old November 28, 2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator

As soon as 6 is called, it's a dead ball. Try again, Einstein.

Old November 28, 2011, 05:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Why do you assume the ball is taken OUTSIDE the boundary? =)
Old November 28, 2011, 05:44 PM
Administrator

If you are engaged in (subtly bringing in Einstein again) gedankenexperiment, at least work with believable and realistic scenarios. Try again.

Old November 28, 2011, 05:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
If you are engaged in (subtly bringing in Einstein again) gedankenexperiment, at least work with believable and realistic scenarios. Try again.

EXXXXXCUSEEEE me for

Thinking outside the box
:p
Old November 28, 2011, 06:15 PM

Damn! How did I miss the three runs?

Doc, I can see why you rightfully got the title "boss". You just blew this away. Way to go bruh!
Old November 28, 2011, 06:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Bosser formal tone dekhe ke ke pishoo kore diyecho haat tulo...haat tulo :p
Old November 28, 2011, 06:22 PM

This got me thinking though. Is there really an "unplayable" delivery? What I mean by that is a delivery possible where a batsmen would be unable to hit a controlled shot for six? I personally feel a truly ultimate batsmen would be able to hit any delivery for six.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
This got me thinking though. Is there really an "unplayable" delivery? What I mean by that is a delivery possible where a batsmen would be unable to hit a controlled shot for six? I personally feel a truly ultimate batsmen would be able to hit any delivery for six.
A really really short ball, that hits the ground and all bounce is completely converted to on the ground forward momentum. Like the underarm ball from Chappel. Is there a way to hit a ball rolling on the ground for a six?
Old November 29, 2011, 02:06 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

whether 1000 run is possible depends on both the batsman and the bowlers... lets say we have a batsman with the endurance of Lara, Temperament of Tendulkar and aggressiveness of Sehwag and that batsman plays against a bowling attack of similar skills such as: Shahadat, Md Sami, Kuruvilla, Nathan Hauritz and Abdur Razzak... then i think it's very much possible