facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 21, 2008, 02:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Pitch 101

For us newbies, can someone please explain the basics of a pitch?

What is meant by a "flat pitch"? How does it affect a game? What happens when there is dew on the pitch? If it makes ball skid is that "good" or "bad"? How so? What about the cracks? In CI bulletin, it read:

Siddons hoped that his team would be able to catch New Zealand "on the hop" in Dhaka where the pitch "stays low and plays tricks".

What does he mean by that?

Please can anyone help me understand the nuts and bolts of pitch?

Thanks in advance.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old October 21, 2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

A flat pitch would have very few hints of grass or cracks on it and would yield relatively even bounce. The ball would come on to the bat pretty nicely, making the track easy to score off.

When there is moisture in the pitch, it makes life difficult for batsmen because the ball doesn't come on to the bat as smoothly as on a track with lower moisture content. As the day goes on, however, the moisture may evaporate, thereby making batting easier. On a fourth day track, it is likely that cracks will form on the surface as the pitch dries out further, enabling spinners to wreak havoc.

When a pitch stays low (e.g. in subcontinental dust bowls), batting once again becomes difficult and bowlers often reap the benefit provided by this phenomenon by bowling wicket to wicket in the hope of getting LBW's in their favor.

A grassy pitch, on the other hand, facilitates fast bowling by offering steep bounce to pacers.

In an international match (or any official match with an official team of umpires), bowlers will be warned if they fail to stray away from the center of the pitch in their follow through as their boots may cause damage to the pitch. Batsmen will get the same treatment for running right through the center.
Old October 21, 2008, 04:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Thanks so much ATMR. If you ever ban yourself by mistake, I'll make sure to vouch for you. Count on me with life!

Old October 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Actually, you seem to be the kind of guy who might be interested in my atlami. So in case you were wondering about the physics behind the effect of a moist pitch on swing, what happens here is that when the sun first comes out and the moisture begins to evaporate, the vapor content of the air above the pitch rises for a certain period of time, i.e. before the sun has spent too much time evading the clouds. This leads to increased air pressure above the surface of the pitch, thereby yielding greater swing to bowlers who know how to make use of the conditions.
Old October 21, 2008, 07:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Ami to bangla academy'r dictionary deklam. atlami'r meaning to pai na.

anyways, didn't mean my comment to come out the wrong way. but seriously, thanks.

Old October 21, 2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

It didn't come out the wrong way. Atlami = Nerdery.
Old November 4, 2008, 02:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Anyone knows any anecdotal incident about the origin of the phrase "How waz that?"

It must've started after application of LB in cricket...but any particular incident?
Old November 6, 2008, 01:23 AM
BC Editorial Team

Good thread. Can't believe ATMR is beating me in the Atlami dept. I'll have to follow this more clearly.

I'll start off by covering the Murali. Murali's uniqueness comes from the fact that he can straighten his arm (as much as his congenital defect will allow) and then flex his hand to the degree that his palm would touch his forceps. Freaky!

So what it lets him do is bowl finger spin as well as give extra RPMs and that jerk that gives a ball bounce - all without straightening his elbow.

You can test this very easily. Take a tennis ball, hold in an offie grip and hold it with the ball and your palm facing you. Now flick the ball forward and simultaneously impart finger spin. What you'll notice is that depending on how you flick it or the angle, you'll get very sharp turn and bounce in a direction opposite to the direction you expect. Try the same with a leggie grip and bam you now know how to do the pehla and doosra ala Murali.

Of course this is with you liberally straightening your elbow. Now try doing in a bowling fashion from above your shoulder and you'll find it well nigh impossible to do so without chucking.
Old November 16, 2008, 02:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Nice thread vaias..apnader atlami theke onek kichu sikhte parlam. Now its time to apply and see how effective i can be.
Old November 17, 2008, 04:35 AM
ODI Cricketer

A batsman hit a ball and it just sail over the boundary. A fielder X crosses the rope and throws the ball back. At the time he was throwing he did not have control over the ball. Fielder Y caught the ball inside the boundary. Now my question:
1. would it be an out (as the fielder, B who caught the ball did not crossed the boundary ) or
2. is it a six ( as fielder A cross the boundary to throw it back)
Old November 17, 2008, 04:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
A batsman hit a ball and it just sail over the boundary. A fielder X crosses the rope and throws the ball back. At the time he was throwing he did not have control over the ball. Fielder Y caught the ball inside the boundary. Now my question:
1. would it be an out (as the fielder, Y who caught the ball did not crossed the boundary ) or
2. is it a six ( as fielder X cross the boundary to throw it back)
If the fielder X had already crossed the boundary, meaning if any part of his body was 'in contact' with outside the boundary when the ball was still in his hand (or in contact), then it is already a 6 before the 2nd fielder gets any chance.

Now, if the first fielder was inside the boundary when he contacted the ball and got outside only after throwing the ball, then it will be a catch attributed to the second fielder.

There is a difference here between the laws of football and cricket. In football, it is considered a goal if the ball crossed the goal line even in the air; but in cricket it is based on contact. So, if a fielder stays inside the boundary and catches a ball that flew in the air just outside the boundary, it will still be considered a catch.
Old November 18, 2008, 04:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
If the fielder X had already crossed the boundary, meaning if any part of his body was 'in contact' with outside the boundary when the ball was still in his hand (or in contact), then it is already a 6 before the 2nd fielder gets any chance.

Now, if the first fielder was inside the boundary when he contacted the ball and got outside only after throwing the ball, then it will be a catch attributed to the second fielder.

There is a difference here between the laws of football and cricket. In football, it is considered a goal if the ball crossed the goal line even in the air; but in cricket it is based on contact. So, if a fielder stays inside the boundary and catches a ball that flew in the air just outside the boundary, it will still be considered a catch.
Thanks
Old December 18, 2008, 11:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

As I understand it a full toss becomes a no-ball when it reaches the batsman (without bouncing of course) at above waist height (for a fast bowler) or shoulder height for a slow bowler.

My question is: if a ball is bowled above waist height (by a quick) but hits the stumps, is it a no ball or is it out?
Old December 18, 2008, 02:39 PM
BC Editorial Team

Once a no-ball, always a no-ball so if a full toss is called a No by umpire due to passing higher than his waist, then hitting the stumps won't matter a whit!
Old January 8, 2009, 06:28 PM
Cricket Legend

What does "playing against the spin " really mean ? I really get confused with that one.
Old January 14, 2009, 06:39 PM
BC Editorial Team

Every spinner is giving RPMs in a certain direction right? If you are a RHB the offie is spinning towards you - so if you were to play a sweep shot, you are playing "with the spin". This implies your chances of a top edge are reduced. Now if you tried to play a reverse sweep shot instead, you would be playing "against the spin", i.e. against the direction the ball was heading anyways because of the spin.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Why does the ball swing more when there are more overhead clouds?
Old January 15, 2009, 12:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe
Default power vs. skill

Does strength really matter that much in batting...ofcourse it helps to be more powerful...but is it a necessary skill to be a good batsman...or can skill and technique compensate for the lack of power?

In other words, is being scrawny a handicap or it really doesnt matter?

Im leaning towards the latter since most asian batsmen dont have much muscle definition to start with, but when u see the likes of australian muscle men, it really begs the question///
Old January 15, 2009, 12:33 AM
BC Editorial Team

cholcholbd - cricket is leaning more towards the power game where muscle/brawn and wing span are becoming the dominant traits. Do a search on some of my posts on this topic - prolly on 20/20 threads. Essentially now anyone with decent hand eye coord and oodles of power can become a succesfull batter what with boundaries shorter and bats so well made that even mishits go for 6. There is still probably a place for those with exquisite timing - a Gower, Ganguly - but they are rarer.
Old January 15, 2009, 12:33 AM
BC Editorial Team

roaring tigerz - do a search for a thread created by Arnab. It's got the whole scientific theory behind swing.
Old January 17, 2009, 05:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Are there any gay cricket players?

Old January 20, 2009, 02:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
Are there any gay cricket players?
lol i wondered that before.

my gaydar says these people are possibilities:

ryder
harris
malinga
plunkett
vaughan
Old January 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Default Evolution of Cricket

lmfao.
++++++

I always wondered how has cricket evolved over the years. Can someone please evaluate it for me? For instance, before the age of seam bowling, bowlers like Waqar, Akram, Akib Javed used to go straight for the stumps. In addition to it, nowadays, thanks to my anari intution it seems South Africans compiled a strategy on pouncing upon the technicalities of LBW and to some extent (also to my great delight), recently Bangladesh has marvelously capitlized on it.

As for batting, I am truly clueless. Are there new positions that has been forced to evolve due to innovative shot selections of batsmen? And what about bat? Now we will see double sided bat. Also, when was the advent of three or four slips? And I am sure spin bowling hasn't been around forever which forced to introduce silly point...

I'd love to see someone writing a cool article on evolution of cricket and especially what the future holds for it.

Thanks.

Old January 22, 2009, 07:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

What is your favorite type of shot to play against spin? Mine is the sweep shot. I feel like Shakib!
Old January 22, 2009, 08:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Oh I have one more question. Does anyone know anyway to practice playing a shot down to 3rd man? Whenever I try it, I either get an edge or miss the ball completely. Also how do you play the "Ash" shot. Its so hard!!!