facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 20, 2012, 02:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib, Mashrafi, Mushfiq
Default Food habit and climate are the most important hindrances of producing quality fast bowlers.

We see outside the Indian subcontinent, almost all cricketing nations produce quality fast bowlers regularly. In the subcontinent Pakistan also make enough first bowlers. But Bangladesh and India fail to produce quality pacers. If we follow carefully our food habit and condition is the main cause of it. Although Pakistan is in same subcontinent they don't eat rice like us. Even their climate is dry and also a little different from us.
Do you think any reasons?

Old December 20, 2012, 02:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Let's see Ian's take on this. He briefly talked about diet and I don't think a radical shift is necessary.
Old December 20, 2012, 02:53 AM
MLC World Series I

"Bhat, bhat and only bhat. Ar kichu khabo na" Obviously, we'll end up with a potbelly!
Old December 20, 2012, 02:58 AM
Cricket Savant

What about those Vietnamese badminton athletes or soldiers? I used to have several friends who would gorge 'rice bowl' and 'chicken' for lunch yet lead normal lives in emaciated bodies, if not, own the court.

So we can theorize all day about tweaking diet and climate (not that these two are not important), but ultimately it boils down to good work ethics. How many of us are willing to wake up 4:00 am in the morning in Dhaka to go for a 4 mile jog?
Old December 20, 2012, 03:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

well sri lanka produce ok fast bowlers with a stand out every now and then. pakistan went through a bit of a golden period imo, they still produce a couple of decent quicks but not to the quality or quantity of aus, SA and eng. NZ as others produces decent quicks consistently but they don't often produce top shelf quicks. WI are just below the top 3 of aus, SA and eng mainly because of their last 7 or so years of pacers not being that great. india has produced very few quality fast bowlers also. zimbabwe had heath streak.

really sri lanka have only produced vaas and malinga, kuli is decent but not top shelf, and malinga due to body issues can't really play tests so it's tough to put him right up there though he really is quality it's just if you compare him to true greats they're great in all formats and his body breakdown unfortunately doesn't allow him to prove it on the test match park.

pakistsn has had imran, wasim and waqar who are all top shelf. shoaib etc are really good but still there are just a handful of those it's not like pakistan produces top shelf fast bowler left and right, look at their current attack.

NZ has hadlee, bond, and a handful of decent ones.

WI has produced tons of top shelf fast bowlers, though not so many recently.

india have had dev and nissar was talked to be really good. zaheer is decent but there aren't many others.

zimbabwe as said had streak and not really anyone else yet.

aus, SA and eng each have a boat load of quality fast bowlers over their history.

basically in terms of how regular nations produce top quality quicks you'd have:

australia
south africa
england
WI

pakistan

NZ
sri lanka

india
zimbabwe

bangladesh

the only reason BD aren't grouped with india and zimbabwe is because they haven't got any true great fast bowlers yet, if they had 1 then they'd been in with india and zimbabwe
Old December 20, 2012, 03:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
What about those Vietnamese badminton athletes or soldiers? I used to have several friends who would gorge 'rice bowl' and 'chicken' for lunch yet lead normal lives in emaciated bodies, if not, own the court.

So we can theorize all day about tweaking diet and climate (not that these two are not important), but ultimately it boils down to good work ethics. How many of us are willing to wake up 4:00 am in the morning in Dhaka to go for a 4 mile jog?
bhai, there is a huge difference between "a bowl" and "a gamla"(3x as much) just saying....
Old December 20, 2012, 03:39 AM
MLC World Series I

Gowza, why is India grouped with Zimbabwe? They're not that bad. I think they need to be grouped with NZ and SL.
Old December 20, 2012, 03:41 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Sylhet has good climate and the diet is not that bad....so how come no fast bowlers from there?
Old December 20, 2012, 03:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
Gowza, why is India grouped with Zimbabwe? They're not that bad. I think they need to be grouped with NZ and SL.
because NZ have produced the quality of hadlee and bond. SL has produced the likes of vaas and malinga. india's best are dev and zaheer, certainly not NZ quality, possibly could group them with SL. i guess you could put NZ in it's own category and group SL with india along side zimbabwe. didn't realise vaas and malinga's test stats weren't so flattering, probably pretty on par with dev and zaheer.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:41 AM
Cricket Legend

There is another cause Pakistan and Sri Lanka produce more fast bowlers than India, their body structures is a bit different from us. Their height and strength is more than us.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Sylhet has good climate and the diet is not that bad....so how come no fast bowlers from there?
There is alot young tall fast bowlers in sylhet. I'm from Sylhet district, been there last year saw plenty Decent built tall players playing with some sort of maroti ball. It's bcb not doing much to find talents in around Sylhet. Sylhet is neglected big time in Sports and in general. Football is also massive in Sylhet. Trust me once bcb Or Bd sport federation opens good academy there and there's hope for the boys. There will be plenty talents coming up for BD in both cricket and in football.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
Test Cricketer

If this is the case then why do the Pakis and Lankans have the most pathetic soccer team in the region?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshimon
There is another cause Pakistan and Sri Lanka produce more fast bowlers than India, their body structures is a bit different from us. Their height and strength is more than us.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Uff. Another roti vs bhaat debate. Not only fast bowlers, we don't produce good sportsmen in general. I agree with Zee bhai. The work ethic is lacking. Also, in our culture, sports in not that important. Almost all the parents want their kids to be doctors or engineers. Add lack of playing ground and food adulteration, and it's a surprise that we have even managed to produce players like Shakib, Tamim etc.

Last edited by Habib; December 20, 2012 at 09:26 AM..
Old December 20, 2012, 09:06 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib and Anamul

That's why England, Australia and South Africa are top teams in World Cricket because they have world class pacers which is vital in this sport but our silly BCB think they know better when really they don't.
Old December 21, 2012, 03:29 AM
Cricket Legend

What about our pacers hunt campaign? Although we have limitation, BCB should try to find out pacers as much as possible. But it looks they have no effort for this.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:39 PM
BC Editorial Team

It's not food. It's attitude, cricketing tradition and infrastructure that holds us back. Regardless of diet and what not, we've had strapping lads who have been capable of flinging the rock fast. But who was there to guide them? To show that on a matting wicket movement through the air in the 1st 5-10 overs will get the breakthrough? That on low wickets, skiddy, wicket to wicket lines work best? When club matches start with SLAs bowling the new ball, what's a fast bowler to do? What we need is a dedicated attempt by our clubs and feeder organizations that they will groom faster bowlers. That they'll invest in them. The recent BPL auction was not encouraging in that sense at all.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Indian fast bowlers not eating right: Holding
Old December 21, 2012, 03:39 PM
Cricket Sage

I think they should start eatlng Naan Ruti.

As a matter of fact to support that Idea, tonight I will have Lamb Kaboob and Naan.
Old December 22, 2012, 07:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
well sri lanka produce ok fast bowlers with a stand out every now and then. pakistan went through a bit of a golden period imo, they still produce a couple of decent quicks but not to the quality or quantity of aus, SA and eng. NZ as others produces decent quicks consistently but they don't often produce top shelf quicks. WI are just below the top 3 of aus, SA and eng mainly because of their last 7 or so years of pacers not being that great. india has produced very few quality fast bowlers also. zimbabwe had heath streak.

really sri lanka have only produced vaas and malinga, kuli is decent but not top shelf, and malinga due to body issues can't really play tests so it's tough to put him right up there though he really is quality it's just if you compare him to true greats they're great in all formats and his body breakdown unfortunately doesn't allow him to prove it on the test match park.

pakistsn has had imran, wasim and waqar who are all top shelf. shoaib etc are really good but still there are just a handful of those it's not like pakistan produces top shelf fast bowler left and right, look at their current attack.

NZ has hadlee, bond, and a handful of decent ones.

WI has produced tons of top shelf fast bowlers, though not so many recently.

india have had dev and nissar was talked to be really good. zaheer is decent but there aren't many others.

zimbabwe as said had streak and not really anyone else yet.

aus, SA and eng each have a boat load of quality fast bowlers over their history.

basically in terms of how regular nations produce top quality quicks you'd have:

australia
south africa
england
WI

pakistan

NZ
sri lanka

india
zimbabwe

bangladesh

the only reason BD aren't grouped with india and zimbabwe is because they haven't got any true great fast bowlers yet, if they had 1 then they'd been in with india and zimbabwe
Maybe its my bias against what is largely unseen to me. But I don't see what the hype about Vaas was. Sure he took 4 wickets in an over against possibly the worst side to ever play in a cricket world cup. But look at his test strike rate, it was very mediocre. Malinga's has a top shelf strike and a decent average, although I will admit even Malinga doesn't impress me much. Vaas is good, but I think he's made to look that much better because SL haven't had anyone else. In fact, I think his contemporary Srinath was at least as good and I'd actually take him over Vaas because he had height and genuine pace. I think Zaheer (in his prime from about 2006-2010) was more than decent. Not top shelf, but very good. Same with Streak.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 23, 2012, 12:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
It's not food. It's attitude, cricketing tradition and infrastructure that holds us back. Regardless of diet and what not, we've had strapping lads who have been capable of flinging the rock fast. But who was there to guide them? To show that on a matting wicket movement through the air in the 1st 5-10 overs will get the breakthrough? That on low wickets, skiddy, wicket to wicket lines work best? When club matches start with SLAs bowling the new ball, what's a fast bowler to do? What we need is a dedicated attempt by our clubs and feeder organizations that they will groom faster bowlers. That they'll invest in them. The recent BPL auction was not encouraging in that sense at all.
I agree with all your points but you cannot disregard the importance of proper and nutritionally balanced diets for a professional player. The biggest part in our meal is white rice, which is just has carbohydrates. I think the people trained at BKSP are more aware of this stuff, but the players outside the system are vulnerable to these weaknesses.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Maybe its my bias against what is largely unseen to me. But I don't see what the hype about Vaas was. Sure he took 4 wickets in an over against possibly the worst side to ever play in a cricket world cup. But look at his test strike rate, it was very mediocre. Malinga's has a top shelf strike and a decent average, although I will admit even Malinga doesn't impress me much. Vaas is good, but I think he's made to look that much better because SL haven't had anyone else. In fact, I think his contemporary Srinath was at least as good and I'd actually take him over Vaas because he had height and genuine pace. I think Zaheer (in his prime from about 2006-2010) was more than decent. Not top shelf, but very good. Same with Streak.
i agree, vaas tends to be overhyped. but i think because he bowled a lot in sri lanka and people tend to think those pitches are no good for fast bowling he gets given more credit than someone else that has his sort of record. i agree zaheer has hit a peak of being more than decent, he's what i'd call a solid prospect.