facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 22, 2007, 07:40 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
That's how he is trying to answer the short rising deliveries. Swatting them over the in-field. Due to poor hand-eye coordination he misses most of the time and it looks ugly.

He normally plays proper shots against fuller length deliveries on the off-side.
This is turning into a red-herring! ...Btw, I'll not go as far as saying Tamim has Poor hand-eye co-ord.

He was missing the balls mostly because he wasn't watching the ball onto his bat. He kept moving to the leg side and kept swinging wildly with his eyes (almost) closed and head all over the place...little that he kept missing and with every miss his confidence kept dipping. There you go...

Old September 22, 2007, 07:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
This is turning into a red-herring! ...Btw, I'll not go as far as saying Tamim has Poor hand-eye co-ord.

He was missing the balls mostly because he wasn't watching the ball onto his bat. He kept moving to the leg side and kept swinging wildly with his eyes (almost) closed and head all over the place...little that he kept missing and with every miss his confidence kept dipping. There you go...
Pretty accurate assessment that.

While he's no Aftab or Ashraful, Tamim's hand-eye co-ordination is still excellent, and probably his most important trait, given his inadequate technique.

His recent failures to land bat on ball have a lot to do with all those factors you mentioned.
Old September 22, 2007, 07:43 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Thanks for the near perfect explanation of the "poor hand-eye coordination" phrase in words.
Old September 22, 2007, 07:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Thanks for the near perfect explanation of the "poor hand-eye coordination" phrase in words.
Fair point.

I think the misunderstanding here came about because we interpreted your statement as meaning that his hand-eye co-ordination is generally poor, when you probably meant that it was poor specifically during this tournament.
Old September 22, 2007, 10:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Agree 200% ...
Agreed! Tamim is a talented young batsman, good fielder, but needs to be in the Academy or U19 to learn to play properly. This might give him a wake up call and force him to improve. They have done this to Ashraful on a few occasions.
I must reiterate again, these young players should play more first class cricket for a few years and not join the national team until they are 21 yrs old.
Old September 22, 2007, 04:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Right, keep Tamim out of National Side for now, he is not learning anything. Let him come back when he is good enough to play more consistent cricket.
Old September 22, 2007, 06:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

he looked better than tamim, atleast he has some foot work
Old September 23, 2007, 03:47 AM
Cricket Legend

The title of the thread is "Junayed Siddique: The next superstar of BD cricket".
Yet it's turning out to be a "Tamim Iqbal: Contradiction at it's worst".
Perhaps we should stick to the topic gentlemen.
Old September 23, 2007, 05:09 AM
Cricket Legend

I think we should stop saying who will be the next superstar, let them be superstar first, we said same about other players and they all failed.
Old September 23, 2007, 08:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Spot on. Excellent description and insight ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 23, 2007, 01:51 PM
Club Cricketer

Dear Sir, it is a nice guessture however, here in Bangla Cricket forume when any of our player do well in ONE game and we like to start calling him NEXT SUPERSTAR...happened to Nazimuddin,tamim and numberious in others' case, SHOULDN"T We be more conservative before calling any one SUPERSTAR....we are changing the meaning of SUPERSTAR.... i don't think its pretty logical to give some one the SUPERSTAR title BASED on one or two game which can be flucke , yes he has great record on domestic cricket but still he need to prove in international level ...please refrain from calling some one SUPER STAR based on one or two game or domestic performance. He is a BD player, we fireed up one or two games and thats it we are gone May be we want to wait to see who is REALLY A SUPER STAR....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR

The extremely reliable BCB grapevine has it that he's ready to make his debut in the T20 World Championship. He is THE next big thing fto hit BD cricket, NO wishful thinking here. He is the new Mehrab Hossain Opi, before the tragedy, who is bound to out-Opi the stylist former opener in terms of talent, technique and possibly temperament.

Strengths: Swashbuckling, supremely talented natural opener who sees the quicker deliveries early and plays the shorter ones without panicking. He generally does not like to go fishing outside the off stump like most of our batsmen. Technically he's superior to Tamim Iqbal and looks good and safe when spanking the spankable beyond the rope. He adjusts his backlift according to the delivery and plays the cut shot as late as he needs to. His formidable hook shot and lofted drives over mid wicket are juicy and delicious to watch. He also rotates the strike well. He has a bit of an issue with shuffling around when playing defensive shots, but everything tends to fall in place when the delivery gets to his bat, Alok Kapali-style. Like Kapali, he's an excellent fielder.

Mitigating factors: Like most of his compatriots, Junayed has sudden, unpredictable issues with shot selection, and strike as opposed to containment-oriented genuine spin bowling where he has to focus and depend on acute judgment of flight and torsion variations. He's also very young with limited experience dealing with a cricket culture short on patience. That said, I'd still bank on his talent and love of the game to rectify his issues faster than most.

Stats and List A performances from the NCL: He plays First Class (4 day) and List A (limited over) cricket for Rajshahi and club cricket for Mohamedan. I won't go into his club stats and legitimize the DPCL, although he has done extremely well in both 50 and 20 over formats.

In 16 innings of FC cricket, he has averaged 34.36 with two 50s and one 100 with a highest score of 114* with an average strike rate of 55.23. He has a bright future as a useful test opener, if groomed correctly over the next 3 to 5 years.

His List A average strike rate is 76.80. He has averaged 22.73 from 15 matches with two 50s and one 100 with a highest score of 104.

1. Rajshahi V. Khulna: 50 from 63 balls, SR 79.36, 5-4s and 0-6.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267247.html

2. Rajshahi V. Barisal: 70 from 79 balls, SR 88.60, 7-4s and 1-6.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267250.html

3. Rajshahi V. Sylhet: 8 from 12 balls, SR 66.66, 2-4s and 0-6.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267253.html

4. Rajshahi V. Chittagong: 104 from 97 balls, SR 107.21, 10-4s and 3-6s.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267256.html

5. Rajshahi V. Dhaka: 5 from 10 balls, SR 50.00, 0-4 and 0-6.
Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bang...ch/267259.html
Old September 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpain
Dear Sir, it is a nice guessture however, here in Bangla Cricket forume when any of our player do well in ONE game and we like to start calling him NEXT SUPERSTAR...happened to Nazimuddin,tamim and numberious in others' case, SHOULDN"T We be more conservative before calling any one SUPERSTAR....we are changing the meaning of SUPERSTAR.... i don't think its pretty logical to give some one the SUPERSTAR title BASED on one or two game which can be flucke , yes he has great record on domestic cricket but still he need to prove in international level ...please refrain from calling some one SUPER STAR based on one or two game or domestic performance. He is a BD player, we fireed up one or two games and thats it we are gone May be we want to wait to see who is REALLY A SUPER STAR....
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your thoughtful and spot on insights. Couldn't possibly agree with you more. However, please note the following: -

1) If you have the time to go over this thread from the beginning, I used the term strictly within the narrow Bangladeshi and NOT international context. Admittedly, a toned-down term such as "the next big thing" would have been more appropriate. There are posts that clearly delineate those points.

2) Speaking only for myself, I have used such terms on only 3 Bangladeshi cricketers to date. They are: 1)Mohammad Ashraful (after his test debut), 2) Mashrafe Bin Mortaza (after his test debut in Dhaka against Andy Flower and Heath Streak's Zimbabwe), and now 3) Zunaed Siddique Imroze.

Mushfiqur Rahim, Aftab Ahmed, Shakib Al Hasan and Enamul Haque are also players I'm excited about, and I haven't given up on the day Alok Kapali will manage to apply his superior talents at the international level as expediently as he needs to.

With regards to Zunaed Siddique, I have had the pleasure to watch him bat extensively and think he IS that special and several classes above many of our one-hit wonders, Mohammad Nazimuddin NOT among them. He is much better than what we saw and will make us as proud as Aftab has been for a while. I'm also equally excited about Dollar Mahmud's bowling. If I were a betting man, I would’ve bet on all the players I’ve mentioned here.

Thank you for your time.

Peace, Sohel.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; September 23, 2007 at 02:30 PM..
Old September 23, 2007, 02:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

22.2 average in list A is not good enough to persuade,

tho he was successful against Pak, we need someone with depth.
Old September 23, 2007, 02:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
22.2 average in list A is not good enough to persuade,

tho he was successful against Pak, we need someone with depth.
I see your point, but if you consider the Bangladeshi context when looking at averages, and compare his numbers to other Bangladeshi batsmen, he is not nearly as bad as those numbers suggest. All of our young players have youth and time on their side, and will improve as they learn on the job by the time they hit their peak range while the quality of our domestic cricket improves also.

Hopefully someday we'll have a cricket infrastructure in terms of reasonable talent assessment and development - both at the domest FC and junior international levels - which can adequately prepare our cricketers for the highest level before their debut. Until then, so cold the night.

Last edited by Sohel; September 23, 2007 at 04:43 PM..
Old September 24, 2007, 04:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Watch and listen carefully ...
Old September 25, 2007, 12:45 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

a Daily Ittefaq article today about Junaid
http://www.ittefaq.com/get.php?d=07/09/25/w/n_zyqqxt
Old September 25, 2007, 12:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

according to this article, he was in the under-17 team in 2001 with ashraful and mashrafe. which means he can't be 19 years old now. as mash and ash are 23 yrs old.. so he must be 22/23.. and he also looks older than ash and mash...
Old September 25, 2007, 06:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
according to this article, he was in the under-17 team in 2001 with ashraful and mashrafe. which means he can't be 19 years old now. as mash and ash are 23 yrs old.. so he must be 22/23.. and he also looks older than ash and mash...
haha it could be that he joined the team in a much younger age and i dont think zunaed looks like that,i saw him in the match and he had a bay type of teenage face.
Old September 25, 2007, 09:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Murad bhai, seriously, logic works everywhere in the world...but there's a catch. It doesn't work with BCB.

An ODI/Test team's average age is generally b/w 27 and 30. Ours is 22. For an U-19 team, the more emphasis (I'm sure) goes to "UNDER", not 19. So...matha mota BCB could have 14 YO players play for U-19 as well!

And also, Zunaed looks pretty bacha to me.
Old September 25, 2007, 02:09 PM
Cricket Legend

I would say it's too early to conclude on this topic. Yes, expectation is there. Nazimuddin even showed brighter prospects and then lost I wish and expect both Nazim and Junayed to become superstar of BD cricket soon.
Old September 25, 2007, 11:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
So...matha mota BCB could have 14 YO players play for U-19 as well!
We actually do... Ariful Haque is 14, while Nasir Hossain only turned 15 recently.
Old December 16, 2007, 01:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Happy to bump this up ...
Old December 16, 2007, 01:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Oye Sohel bhai, you are back..

man... whats up?? is everything going alright??

apnar relief work kemon cholteche??

on the topic: JS is indeed the next super star...
Old December 16, 2007, 01:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Oye Sohel bhai, you are back..

man... whats up?? is everything going alright??

apnar relief work kemon cholteche??

on the topic: JS is indeed the next super star...
Just got back to Dhaka from Bagerhat, and thanks to your radio link, I was able to follow the match closely. You ROCK ...

BIG Z has all of our prayers.
Old December 16, 2007, 01:56 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good to see JS doing well.
He was one of the players mentioned by other JS himself, coach Siddons.

Certainly cements his place in the coming matches.
Hope he can retain the form though.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]