facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 13, 2006, 09:16 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Paul Hoffman: Adaptable Scots can beat Bangladesh

It's hard to believe but, in a week's time, we will have played two one-day internationals in Bangladesh to kick-start a busy and important four months for Scottish cricket.The games against Bangladesh will be in
Chittagong and Dhaka, massive and intimidating cities with a fanatical cricket following. This is the toughest possible test against a side who, after beating Australia in Cardiff last year, have developed considerably and are no longer considered the whipping boys of world cricket. Bangladesh have just demolished Zimbabwe in a one-day series, while we have been training indoors each week, doing what we can with the facilities available. The training surface will be a far cry from the conditions in Bangladesh this week, but we have a few days to adjust before our first one-day international at Chittagong on Friday. How we prepare and adapt in those few days will be crucial.
In my 96 caps for Scotland, I've learned that if there is one characteristic we have in abundance it is the ability to adapt quickly. We've played cricket in the sapping heat of Sharjah and Abu Dhabi, on unresponsive pitches geared for the home teams, but we have always won.
Granted, the likes of UAE, Canada and Namibia are not in the class of the current Bangladesh team, but if each player is at their best, we'll always be competitive no matter who the opposition. We've been able to beat county teams on a regular basis, so there is no reason why we can't beat Bangladesh.
I don't know a lot about Bangladesh right now. All I know is that they are a much-improved side from when we beat them a couple of years back at the Grange. Their batsmen, like most sub-continent sides, are very wristy. This gives them the freakish ability to manufacture shots from deliveries most batsmen would defend.
Field placing will be important and bowlers need to have a few tricks up their sleeve. As there will be little seam movement, having the skill to take the pace off the ball and mix up the length will be vital. Our spin bowlers will also play a big part on the dry, dusty wickets. It's going to be a difficult tour, but our objective is to win both games.

Our preparation for the next four months has been meticulous. Over the past 10 weeks, each player has had food and exercise diaries to fill out each week. Our weight and hydration levels have been monitored regularly and our fitness coach Andy Jackson has given each player strength and fitness programmes to work on.
It's a step up from anything I have done before. I'm a naturally big fella who loves food; my weight during the Scottish winter can balloon up to 106kg. With the new fitness regime, I've managed to keep my weight down to 100kg, which is still around 5kg below my 'fighting weight'. I would expect to sweat off maybe half-a-stone in Bangladesh, before putting it back on again over the festive season. A few gut-busting sessions in the gym and I'll be ready for the next tour to the UAE in early January.
There's no doubt about it; we've reached a new level of professionalism. In order for us to progress as a cricketing nation, we've had to follow the lead of a team like Australia who are always setting new standards on and off the field. While we don't have the luxury of full-time contracts and training facilities enjoyed by test playing nations, we have committed players willing to make necessary sacrifices to help take Scottish cricket as far as they possibly can.

Paul Hoffman, the Uddingston bowler, will play for Scotland against Bangladesh on December 15 and 17

Source>>

Old December 13, 2006, 10:42 AM

I liked Mr. Paul Hoffman's attitude very much. A man with full of confidence and courage. The Scottish is very professional and hard fought cricketers in deed. Though, the following statement is interesting!

" It's going to be a difficult tour, but our objective is to win both games."

We will see how professional you are in next few days!!
And welcome to Bangladesh. Pls. enjoy your stay... the sooner the better!!!
Old December 13, 2006, 10:58 AM
Street Cricketer

They seem to be very optimistic. It is nice to see such confidench but i really doubt if they are going to even play competitive cricket in any of the 2 ODI.
Old December 13, 2006, 10:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Ok game is on. We will see. why the hell these guys always mention the last game which was not an ODI. the last and only ODI which we played with them was in WC99 and we beat them. They should mention that last two was Warm ups not an ODI.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 13, 2006, 11:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Hmm..Scotland is trying to play mind game before the real show starts.It's nice to see that they are very much hyped about the games..but I don't see much chance for them.Though it might be a difficult outing than Zim, I guess.
Old December 13, 2006, 11:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I'm a naturally big fella who loves food
How adaptable is their stomach? Thats the bigger issue that he really didn't addressed.
Old December 13, 2006, 11:55 AM
Cricket Guru

enough of this we beat county team blah blah blah. what's with beating county teams? their national team can't even win the WC so no wonder that team like scottland will beat their domestic teams. They r making scottish bully. They need to try our curry first and then come to the ground...
Old December 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Who? What? You kidding me? Dream on!

No offense but I think our "A team" can whip their arse, that is if our players play to their potential. Not trying to be cocky but its a fact. These guys are just playing the mind games that they learned from the Aussies - copy cat, unfortunately it would not work here.
Old December 13, 2006, 12:35 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing

Field placing will be important and bowlers need to have a few tricks up their sleeve. As there will be little seam movement, having the skill to take the pace off the ball and mix up the length will be vital. Our spin bowlers will also play a big part on the dry, dusty wickets. It's going to be a difficult tour, but our objective is to win both games.

Our preparation for the next four months has been meticulous. Over the past 10 weeks, each player has had food and exercise diaries to fill out each week. Our weight and hydration levels have been monitored regularly and our fitness coach Andy Jackson has given each player strength and fitness programmes to work on.
It's a step up from anything I have done before....
I surely appreciate their commitment.. but again, they almost make it sound like they are having to prepare for an away series to be played on MARS soil!

Damn... they're really too concerned about the conditions.
Old December 13, 2006, 12:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Ahmed_B Bhai may be bd condition is like mars condition to them. I wonder what would they say if they came here during april-may?
Old December 13, 2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

Yeah they are very positive to make this series interesting but it's not gonna help them as confiedence didn't work for Zimbabwe as well .

Everyone wants to win , so , they do !!!!!!!

But winning against a test nation in an official match still to be dream for them untill they win it .

This is the difference between us & other teams , we never say we can win . We always we will try & give a good fight against the better team .

Positive attitude is an winning attitude but in their they are not make it this time , just a bad luck for them .

Last edited by Rihaad The Man; December 13, 2006 at 04:21 PM..
Old December 13, 2006, 03:41 PM
Club Cricketer

We will find out within an hour the game starts what they really capable of.
Old December 13, 2006, 04:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

We shall find out by tomorrow when they play against the academy team.
Old December 13, 2006, 05:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
We shall find out by tomorrow when they play against the academy team.
ditto that...

if they beat county 1st XIs on a regular basis, then they will be a hell of a lot tougher to dispose than zimbabwe.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 13, 2006, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Don't know what the big commotion about Scotland having county cricketers in their team. Hamilton and Dougie Brown are long past their primes and neither of them has a current county contract. John Blain and Navdeep Poonia got some expsosure to county cricket, but none of them has put anything on fire yet.
Old December 13, 2006, 06:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

I gotta say, they seem pretty confident....Probably because of the scare they gave Pakistan. Personally, i think it was a fluke, but you never know...Its good that they're confident, cuz, its just gonna be that much more enjoyable. Nobody wants to watch a match where one side is absolutely sure theyre gonna lose. Confidence breeds competition.
Old December 13, 2006, 06:14 PM
Banned

Scotland might beat BCB Academy x1 today ......
Old December 13, 2006, 08:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

they are more confident then Zim. and if your confident in your team you can win.

Lets Go Scotland
Old December 14, 2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
they are more confident then Zim. and if your confident in your team you can win.

Lets Go Scotland
Go where?
...Rosatoley!?

Your hero Mr. Hamilton scored 1/10 century plus 1 against our 3rd tear team! ...jar noon untey panta furay...tar aabar gola boro!! Monea hoche Razzak-k dekhey-e stadium thekey palabey!
Old December 14, 2006, 11:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Spin attack started in the 3rd over. wow that's a gutsy call. i like it. since we know they can't play spin bowl then why wait till 12/14 over? Like NZ we should open with a spinner sp again team that is weak against spin(ENG, SA, ZIM and Other Associate teams)
Old December 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

As far as I know, Israk Sonet is a medium pacer and so is Khadim. So I don't think they brought in spinners in the 3rd over, rather it was a mistake from the reporter's part.

Ishraq Sonet
Sirajullah Khadim