facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 5, 2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default The Kimberly Rivera case

So thousands of people signed a petition and a bunch of them spent the better part of a day protesting Rivera's deportation from Canada in Toronto in September:

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/protesters...ister-1.963486

Here's some more context:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...eported-to-u-s

Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petition...imberly-rivera

It's just one of those things that I had to come here and rant about from my comfy arm chair, maybe because it's so close to home. How do you guys feel about the deportation?

I have tried, but am having a hard time sympathizing with Rivera and her supporters.

Quote:
My name is Kimberly Rivera. I joined the U.S. Army when I was 24. At the time, I thought the war in Iraq was a good thing. I thought it would make our country safer and bring democracy to Iraq.
Once I was stationed in Iraq, I realized I had been lied to. I saw the true face of war: countless civilian casualties, and Iraqi children left devastated by loss and filled with fear. We were not bringing freedom to Iraq; we were bringing needless pain and suffering and death.
Seriously? You had to go out there to figure out that the war was absolute bull***t? Open your eyes, you were twenty freaking four when you signed up, not freaking fourteen. How dumb - for the lack of a better word - can you be? "A good thing"? "Freedom to Iraq"? And then, "I realized I had been lied to"? I don't think my entire neighborhood has enough palms to convey how epic that FAIL is. No one forced you - you weren't drafted like in Vietnam. You signed up willingly and you read your contract and knew the consequences if you ever decided not to abide by it.

I feel for the kids. I really do. But Ottawa isn't responsible for what will happen to them. Unfortunately, their own mother is. Don't sign up for something if you can't handle the heat. You joined the army, you pledged to murder innocent people, you contributed to the murder of innocent people and now you flee and expect Ottawa to save your sorry buttocks because you have kids? You did not "resist" the war, you fled like a coward. If you're so "conscientious", the right thing to do would have been to not sign up to begin with. You can't commit a humanitarian crime and then expect to be bailed out on humanitarian grounds.

As much as I try, I can't disagree with the deportation here. I wouldn't disagree if she were allowed to stay either, but I am having a hard time sympathizing. I also find it ridiculous that a killer of innocent people is being made to look like an international hero. It sucks that the kids have to suffer, it really does, but Rivera should have known better.

Last edited by AsifTheManRahman; November 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM..