facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 13, 2018, 04:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox

I am not aware of any other instance of an active high-profile athlete serving concurrently as a lawmaker. Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't @ me with examples from Papua New Guinea. Mash should have just waited and avoided the controversy.
Tendulkar became an MP while still playing for India. I don't remember Indians losing their heads over it.

As for Mash, he plays in only one format, should not be that hard for him to juggle his responsibilities for six months or so leading to the WC.

Old November 13, 2018, 04:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Isnt Nazmul Hossain Papon an MP? does that stop him from being president of BCB? or a director of bemixco? do those stop him from serving the people, his community etc? I can think of many others in BD politics, who have multiple roles (full time) and they are still MP etc. They seem to be doing aright, especially since they get re-elected by their local people.
+ Mash spends less time with the team now, since he only plays in ODI.
The maxium his with the team is like 3-4 months each year. Has enough time for his community etc.
Old November 13, 2018, 05:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Tendulkar became an MP while still playing for India. I don't remember Indians losing their heads over it.

As for Mash, he plays in only one format, should not be that hard for him to juggle his responsibilities for six months or so leading to the WC.
That's because he became a Member of the Rajya Sabha (a very much ceremonial role with no party affiliation) and not a MP or a Member of Lok Sabha as it's called in India. Despite this that move too attracted a fair bit of controversy.

Quote:
In April 2012, Tendulkar accepted the Rajya Sabha nomination proposed by the President of India and became the first active sportsperson and cricketer to have been nominated.[25][391] Former cricketers Sanjay Manjrekar,[392] Ajit Wadekar, Madan Lal[393] expressed their surprise over this move. He took the oath of office on 4 June.[394] He refused to take the bungalow allotted to him in New Delhi calling it "waste of taxpayers' money" as he resides in Mumbai.[395] He met with some controversy over his attendance at Rajya Sabha proceedings.[396] Tendulkar has also been accused of not using the development fund Rajya Sabha members receive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachin...bha_nomination

Sachin Tendulkar's nomination to Rajya Sabha draws mixed reactions
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/west...00408-2012-04-
Old November 13, 2018, 05:29 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
That's because he became a Member of the Rajya Sabha (a very much ceremonial role with no party affiliation) and not a MP or a Member of Lok Sabha as it's called in India. Despite this that move too attracted a fair bit of controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachin...bha_nomination

Sachin Tendulkar's nomination to Rajya Sabha draws mixed reactions
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/west...00408-2012-04-
Being a memeber of parliament is NOT a full time dedicated job from what I understand. A lot of the parliamentarians are also lawyers and businessman. I am sure someone like Andaleeve Partho spends more time as a lawyer than Mashrafee does as a cricketer (given he only plays one format). So this whole thing is a moot point.
Old November 13, 2018, 08:39 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: sarkar

There are 2 enviable jobs in bd in terms of relevancy, clout, power, money, fame

Being an MP

Being the captain of the Bangladesh cricket team

This guy.... is gonna get both.

He was also the first bd player to get paid in the IPL.

So really... so much win.
Old November 13, 2018, 08:42 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: sarkar

If he lifts the World Cup next year. Crazier things have happened.

If it does happen, holy moly... no election. Give him the MP spot on the spot.
Old November 14, 2018, 11:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

Quote:
So you are saying that running a restaurant or something in your down time is the same as serving as a Member of Parliament of your country.

Like I said, both jobs (being the captain of your country or being a MP) should be the ultimate priority. You can't do both as one if not both will undoubtedly suffer due to a lack of commitment. Of course you can have other interests but everything else must take a backseat when you are a MP or a captain of a major sports team. If Mash is truly driven by the intention of serving the people of his area then surely he wants to devote himself completely to the role and not have any distractions much less a World Cup in under a years time.

I am not aware of any other instance of an active high-profile athlete serving concurrently as a lawmaker. Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't @ me with examples from Papua New Guinea. Mash should have just waited and avoided the controversy.

Well for Mash's case he has to play double role for only few months. MP's can take leave for few months (like any other job).

But if someone can manage two, what is the problem. There are a number of players who played both cricket and hockey for their national team at the same time. Australia has a national women cricketer who is also a member of National soccer team.
Old November 14, 2018, 11:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

I think shakib will have hard time getting votes, I don't see that x factor in him. Mashfrafee forget about it -the guy has a bright future in politics imo.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinathq
Let me say something to all those people that are criticizing and hating on Mashrafe for joining politics.

He is not running for a position to gain popularity or become filthy rich. He is literally the most popular and well known individual in our country! And no Mashrafe is not someone who can be pressured into doing anything.. if you think otherwise, well then you clearly have no clue who Mashrafe Bin Mortaza is!

Mashrafe is doing this for his home district Narail and NOT for his cricket fans! He knows the kind of position or power he needs to make a significant difference for his people and there is nothing wrong with that. And it's his call that he chose AL to represent! You may hate AL but if you choose to hate Mashrafe because of that then you were never a fan of him in the first place. He is the kind of leader that our country needs and not just our cricket team.

I applaud him for his dedication towards his district and going into a path which he knows will draw criticism. But then again, if Mash gave a **** about criticism, he would have left cricket 7 years ago!
Quote:
The fact that these two are even considering running for office while they are both very much active international cricketers with the World Cup being around the corner is a blatant display of a lack of respect for both the national team as well as the democratic process of the country.

Both these roles should require wholeheartedness and an undivided commitment. While the national team not being a priority for Shakib is nothing new, I certainly expected much better from Mash. While I do not doubt his intentions or believe that there are any ulterior motives in play, the timing of his decision just reeks of opportunism. There was nothing stopping him from seeing out his national team commitments, building up his activism, policy and social service credentials and then seeking election in five years time. But he probably realises that his popularity has peaked and in five years he won't have the same clout he does now. The fact that the Awami League are likely to rob another election after having weakened the opposition and the institutions of democracy also likely played into this.

It is the sheer unprofessionalism of all this which is what disappoints me the most but perhaps I am asking for too much.
Mash should just concentrate on cricket until he retires after the WC 19 IMHO.

Decision to participate in this year's election has put his high moral/ethics in question IMHO. He should wait and be ready for the next election if he wants to serve the country being a politician and I have faith in him that he would be a good politician with the intend to serve the people. I don't see anything wrong by joining politics or BAL but rather it is the timing in question?
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Heard Mash will skip the WI series to focus on election..If true, big blow
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

I know he won't get it even if he wins but if Mashrafee could be some way attached with the Sports Ministry