facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

View Poll Results: Who Will Win the Stanley Cup in 2012-2013?
Detroit Red Wings 1 11.11%
Pittsburgh Penguins 4 44.44%
Los Angeles Kings 2 22.22%
New York Rangers 0 0%
Minnesota Wild 0 0%
Boston Bruins 1 11.11%
Chicago Black Hawks 2 22.22%
Philadelphia Flyers 1 11.11%
St. Louis Blues 1 11.11%
Random Canada based team (Please name your favorite fantasy) 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20, 2012, 04:09 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Thumbs up The Definitive NHL 2012-2013 Season Thread

Time will pass quickly enough ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 25, 2012, 02:37 AM
Cricket Savant

This may turn out to be the tiniest NHL thread ever as the last ditch CBA negotiations are to resume this week. The kufa started from the FA hype.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old October 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

There is positive movement today. Lockout may end soon and season may start Nov.2. Of course, I am hoping here. This can't go on anymore.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Good to have you back bro. It be good to have the league back too.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

2 Work Stoppages in 8 years

It's been real NHL
Old October 20, 2012, 05:20 AM
Cricket Savant

So we're looking at yet another truncated season as our best case scenario. They ought to have another cup for bogus situations like these.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:08 AM
Cricket Savant

At least our top prospects, every single one of them with the real potential to be better than Suter and Parise, are getting some quality time with the Griffins and showing that they're simply too good for the AHL even now.

I'm very excited about Gustav Nyquist, possibly a Zetterberg 2.0 with better skating ability, scored a couple of goals and then clinched the shootout in the 4-3 win against Toronto. Tatar, also a bright prospect, scored the other one. These guys know that they need to step up as Kenny's failures at the market has created serious opportunities for them to make a name for themselves.

Lidstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov, Konstantinov, Draper, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and many others did the same not so long ago. We gotta rely on what works and what works in Detroit is our formidable scouting and farm system.
Old October 27, 2012, 05:58 AM
Cricket Savant

This year's uncertain schedule keeps getting truncated but the hope lingers on. They should come up with a different cup for seasons like these. CBA Cup would be a great name IMO.

Last edited by Sohel; October 27, 2012 at 09:01 AM..
Old November 22, 2012, 02:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram, Shakib

They need to cut the crap and just cancel the season. Two months of BS negotiations with zero progress.

3 straight work stoppages is embarrassing. Gary the *** clown needs to be replaced as soon a new deal is reached.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Gary Bettman needs to step down after this is over. Fehr brothers need to go as well. They are not good for the game. And, that Boston owner is one of the major culprit. Last meeting was a disaster after three days of hope. I was surprised they didn't come to an agreement last week. But, I think the end is in sight. They agree more than disagree now. Only major issue is the length of the CBA. I think we will see a 48 game season starting in Jan. At this point, I don't care. I just want to see games. I have kept my three ( cancelled ) tkts as souvenir vs Jets, Rangers and Isles.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:32 AM
Cricket Savant

^Welcome back bro. Here's to hoping that we'll be welcoming NHL hockey back sometime soon. You're right on the money about guys who ought to be shown the door for the good of the game.
Old December 21, 2012, 03:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Cancelled games through January 14th no. We are looking at like a 42 game season if the lockdown ends soon. Otherwise we can say bye to the season. Pretty damn pathetic from both sides.

You guys think this is a death sentence to teams like Florida and Phoenix ? Viewership will surely be down in America across the board.
Old December 21, 2012, 05:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Here's the only upside: a severely truncated season will make things unbercompetitive because each game will matter more in light of playoff qualification.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:08 AM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up About effing time!

Quote:
Lengthy negotiation session delivers tentative CBA framework

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association reached agreement on the framework of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement early Sunday morning.

After a marathon 16-plus hour negotiating session at the Sofitel Hotel that began Saturday afternoon, the sides announced an agreement in principle shortly after 6 a.m. Sunday.

"We still have more work to do, but it is good to be at this point," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said.

The League did not announce the start date of the season or the number of games each team will play. Various reports suggest teams will play either 50-game schedules or 48-game schedules, depending on the date on which the season starts. Those details will be announced soon, Commissioner Bettman said.

LINK
Now let the hockey begin
Old January 9, 2013, 12:39 PM
Cricket Guru

About effing time indeed ! 48 game schedule means playoff intensity from the get go. Teams can't afford to go on a prolonged slump. Only bummer is no inter conf games. For example : No Pens vs Wings or Blackhawks or Canucks etc. Its gonna be a dog fight in Atlantic div. We have to face Flyers, Rangers, Isles, Devils- five games each, and three games each vs all other East teams. So, teams will cancel each other out in our division. Much easier path to playoffs for teams in 'not so strong' div in East. Same goes true for West conf. Anyway, I am just glad its over and can't wait to see some action starting next weekend.

Looks like Leafs have fired Burke as their GM.

Sohel : I heard a joke that you would love. Hearing that the league went to a lockout so Leafs don't get to play in the Winter Classic : (
Old January 14, 2013, 05:39 AM
Cricket Savant

48 games in 99 days! Tough schedule ahead for us this truncated season. Everyone except the BJs is a contender in our division, so it would be tough during this rebuilding period. But I remain optimistic. Guys in our pipeline have the opportunity to step up and make a place for themselves during the course of what promises to be a highly competitive, pressure-packed season. Looking forward to playing Minny this year. Playing them at the Joe on the 25th. Can't wait to see the reception Parise and Suter get. No word on who gets the "C" this season but it'll be between Hank and Pavel for sure with Hank getting the final nod on account of his superior communications skills. I hope the under performance stops as the direct result.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up The Zetterberg Era Begins

As expected, Hank has been named Captain of the Detroit Red Wings during this rebuilding period. The 210th pick overall in the 1999 draft has pretty big shoes to fill (Champion HoFers Steve Yzerman and 89th pick overall Nicklas Lidstrom) in a tragically declining city with nothing other than its sports with hockey being the most popular sport, and music going for it. That's pressure and I hope Hank is up to the task. His hockey has been in decline since 2008 and we're hoping that the "C" will turn things around. Pavel and Junior will help him out as Alternate Captains. Talk about all European leadership on the ice!

Quote:
Now it's Henrik Zetterberg's turn to wear the "C."

Zetterberg became the third player since 1986 to be named captain of the Detroit Red Wings when he was introduced Tuesday prior to an intrasquad scrimmage. He's the 36th captain in franchise history.

"Henrik Zetterberg leads by example ... he understands the responsibility of being the captain of the Detroit Red Wings," general manager Ken Holland said in making the announcement.

The 32-year-old replaces fellow Swede Nicklas Lidstrom, who retired after the 2011-12 season. Lidstrom got the "C" in 2006 after Steve Yzerman retired following an NHL-record two-decade run as captain.

Zetterberg was an easy choice because of the respect he's earned from his teammates and the coaching staff.

"He's not afraid to communicate," coach Mike Babcock said. "He doesn't mind getting mad at me one bit. He's just not shy about what he thinks. We've had a relationship like that for a long time.

"We have a good guy who's a real good human being, who loves hockey, who has a mind for the game, he's really good to his teammates and he's demanding of himself and he doesn't mind speaking his mind. To me, that's pretty good leadership.

"We got a pretty good guy there.''

Zetterberg's appointment was one of the worst-kept secrets in hockey -- he was one of the Red Wings' alternate captains under Lidstrom and was widely expected to get the "C" following Lidstrom's retirement last summer. Like Lidstrom and Yzerman before him, he's played his whole career in Detroit and seems destined to finish there.

Babcock said the three share some common traits.

"I guess the things that jump to mind for me is fierce, fierce competitors," he said. "Great, great people and guys who put the team first and can speak for the team and treat their teammates right. So those are three things that I would say right off the top of my head."

In nine seasons with the Red Wings, Zetterberg has 252 goals and 372 assists for 624 points, and he's had at least 68 points in each of the past seven seasons. His 50 game-winning goals are fourth on the team's all-time list, trailing Yzerman (94), Brendan Shanahan (79) and Sergei Fedorov (63). Zetterberg also has 51 goals and 102 points in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and he won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 2008, when the Red Wings won their most recent championship.

Pavel Datsyuk and Niklas Kronwall will serve as alternate captains.

Zetterberg said he's played for some excellent leaders who've helped him grow and mature during his time with the Red Wings -- and that includes more than Yzerman and Lidstrom.

"Just playing with Nick for my whole career here, just to see how he prepares himself, how he handled himself on and off the ice, and just lead by example and that’s what he did," Zetterberg said. "I played with many good leaders since I got here and not just Stevie and Nick. There was [Kris] Draper, [Chris] Chelios -- there are so many guys that I played with that you learn from. So you try to take bits and pieces from all the guys that you play with, and they really formed the player who I am now."

LINK
Old January 16, 2013, 02:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Wish there were some trades in between now and the season. Way too quiet.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Nonis clearing up the dead weight in the roster. Clears up spots for Kadri and Frattin to start now

Got JVR, signed McClemment, and took out the trash to play the kids. Seems like a good offseason.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Any truth to the rumor that Luongo maybe headed your way? Huge salary BTW.

Pens are $9mil under the cap ! I can't believe it. We were always captied for the last five-six years. I bet there will be a big trade during the deadline this year. We have tons of great young puck moving D in the system, but no forwards. I do see us moving some of those assets for a first-second line winger during the trade deadline. In the pipeline for D are first rounders : Simon Depress, Joe Morrow, Derrick Pouliot ( 8th overall pick from Staal trade )Olli Matta. The others are : Scott Harrington, Brian Doumolin ( came via trade from Car for Staal ), Robert Bortuzzo, Brian Strait - all four are NHL ready. Good chance we trade with Ducks for one of their prized forwards. I am hoping so..
Old January 17, 2013, 04:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Not at the moment. Nonis has said he is only willing to move good young players (Gardiner, Rielly, etc) for other good young players. Only veterans worth anything on our roster are MacArthur/Bozak/Liles. Along with that, Gillis' asking price is ridiculous right now (he wants star player in return ). That contract indeed is atrocious in terms of lenght. With this new CBA, the Leafs can face upto a 2M cap penalty for 3 years if he decides to retire between ages 37-40. Add in the fact that the Canucks are already tight against the cap (the 70 M cap), and will need to clear 6 M (cap drops to 64.8 next year) + sign Edler next offseason, he doesn't have that much value IMO.

He will only get traded here if Gillis accepts something like Bozak/Mac + Colborne + 3rd/2nd IMHO.

I was actually thinking about potential destinations for Perry at the TDD if he doesn't re-sign with Anahiem by then. Pittsburgh seems to be the best fit to me, in terms of needs, available assets, and cap space.

I hope he's a Mama's boy, and wants to come back home to sign the big contract :P
Old January 18, 2013, 12:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Perry will be incredible if we can land him. But, I doubt it. He is a former Hart winner and an incredible goal scorer. I think Ducks will resign him. Its Bobby Ryan that we have interest in. I know Pens like Clark MacArthur a lot. Perry will cost a pretty penny, and we have Malkin and Letang to resign next year. That's a big $$ amount. At the TDD, I so expect us to go after Gonchar and try to move some of those D assets. Talking about assets, Brian Strait just got claimed by Isles. So, we lost one guy.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Three new captains for the season. Z - Wings, Claudia - Philta, Jovo-Panthers.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:40 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

less than 24 hours to go ... NHL starts!
as usual I will support all the Canadian teams - Calgary Flames would be my 1st pick (just because I live in the city) LOL

National Hockey League Schedule
MT = EST -2

01/19

Senators
v.
Jets

‎-1:00 PM (MT)‎-Tickets

01/19

Penguins
v.
Flyers

01/19

Blackhawks
v.
Kings

01/19

Maple Leafs
v.
Canadiens

‎-5:00 PM (MT)‎-Tickets

01/19

Devils
v.
Islanders

01/19

Rangers
v.
Bruins

01/19

Capitals
v.
Lightning

01/19

Hurricanes
v.
Panthers

‎-5:30 PM (MT)‎-Tickets

01/19

Red Wings
v.
Blues

‎-6:00 PM (MT)‎-Tickets

01/19

Blue Jackets
v.
Predators

01/19

Coyotes
v.
Stars

01/19

Avalanche
v.
Wild

‎-7:00 PM (MT)‎-Tickets

01/19

Ducks
v.
Canucks

‎-8:00 PM (MT)‎-Tickets

01/20

Flyers
v.
Sabres

‎-10:30 AM (MT)‎-Tickets

01/20

Sharks
v.
Flames

‎-4:00 PM (MT)‎-Tickets
Old January 19, 2013, 10:14 PM
Test Cricketer

The Habs are ****ing terrible. Another bottom 3 finish is in forecast.