facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old June 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

Default Asian soccer and its weakness!!!

After following the second match of Saudi Arabia, I am pretty sure that Asian soccer teams are not up to the level of world bests interms of morale or skill. It is my personal opinion that African soccer is way better in terms of competitiveness, morale and strenght. For example, african teams were able to compete with top european teams. But asians just do not have such fire power. Japan, Iran and Saudis are out. It is only South Korea now. But it will not be long before they lose and heads home.

Old June 19, 2006, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend

soccer is a very physical game, needing height, fitness, stamina and skill. africans are physically strong and hard working even though they may not have the training of europeans or south americans. asians have neither, atleast far east and middle east players are comparatively stronger and athletic compared to people from india/pak/bangladesh. can the big india beat small qatar or kuwait? so u know...
Old June 19, 2006, 09:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

i think Australia's inclusion in the AFC would be good for the football in Asia, as it would enhance its image in the world soccer stage...and it would create a fierce competition in the future, not only the Asian Championship but also in the WC qualifiers.

And better competition always increases the competitiveness of other nations, and hence would force them to play better football... but then again, how much can one country can do ??

but in general yes... Asian football is far too behind than our African brothers...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 19, 2006, 11:01 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

When Australia play in Asian Cup/Games, their biggest (and maybe only) competition will be South Korea. The others will be content beating weak teams like India/Bangladesh/Pakistan etc and drawing some of the middle standard teams like Qatar/Oman/Thailand.
Old June 20, 2006, 03:28 AM
Test Cricketer

I never feel australia is in Asia.........it's just doesn't feel right............If you had seen Iran playing, their skill may not be up to the mark but physical strengh is quite ok. They are huge players like europeans. I think it's just the lack of skill. South koreans are soo short and tiny but yet they are competing with the top level.
Old June 20, 2006, 04:19 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehsin
When Australia play in Asian Cup/Games, their biggest (and maybe only) competition will be South Korea. The others will be content beating weak teams like India/Bangladesh/Pakistan etc and drawing some of the middle standard teams like Qatar/Oman/Thailand.
Never underestimate Japan,Iran or China's ability. Just wait for another 10/15 years. This time Iran failed because of the huge pressure imposed by the fans and Iranian media. Well, also include political pressure.In Iran football is the just like a religion. Currently 8 of their national players are Bundesliga based. To me Iran is way better than the Korians technically.

Old June 20, 2006, 04:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Iran's a good side. Japan's a good side. South Korea's a good side.

Saudi players need to get thrown out to earn a living in the real world. Port Vale. Serie B. Dutch Second Division. Rumania. It isnt enough to pull down 200k a year for being the best left back in the Gulf States ... you have to make it in the tough comps.
Old June 20, 2006, 05:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
can the big india beat small qatar or kuwait? so u know...
That has not much to do with physical strength, but a lot to do with infrastructure, spotting talent, and overall interest in the game
Old June 20, 2006, 01:34 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

Japan, Korea and Iran are in a different class than Saudi Arabia. This Saudi team is one of the worst I've seen in world cup. I've seen similiar situation with other middle east teams like UAE, Iraq and Kuwait who do great in qualifiers against weak teams but are total let downs in the finals.

Japan has psychological issues, breakdown in last 10 mins on both games. Zico, or the next Brazilian coach, should improve their mental toughness. But their style (based on Brazil) is better than Korea, Iran and other asian countries. Iran is decent at world cup level and if they keep it up they will be a good team in 4-5 yrs. Korea has the determination and speed of many European teams. The way they hung in there for over an hour with a goal down against France and came back was amazing, more so for doing it in Europe. There biggest asset is deceptive speed. They don't show the style of Japan or Agressiveness of Ghana, but they have the sudden burst of speed and are dangerous in the air. The quality of Asian soccer should improve with Australia included in the mix.
Old June 20, 2006, 04:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Asian (Soccer) Football - 2 billion + people have no representation. Enough said. We need to concentrate on how to play marbels, ekka dokka, chi buri, golla chut etc. We (subcontinent) will get our rear handed to us if we introduce kabadi in the olympics or world stage. it took almost 80 years for an Indian origin player to play in the WC, shame.
Old June 20, 2006, 04:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I think it is all to do with infrastructure and not because 'Asians can't play football'. For example, a well known UK football team, Sporting Bengal Utd FC, toured Bangladesh and beat most, if not all the Bangladesh league teams. The players in the Sporting Bengal team were all of Bangladeshi origin (except for maybe one or two) and the team is not even a pro team. Now whats the difference between the two teams? Its the fact that Sporting Bengal train in the UK and have all the necessary equipment to do so.

Personally, I think if players from the UK and other European countries, of Bangladeshi origin, played for the national team of Bangladesh, then they would stand a much better chance of moving up the ranks...at least to 100.
Old June 20, 2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulw11
Personally, I think if players from the UK and other European countries, of Bangladeshi origin, played for the national team of Bangladesh, then they would stand a much better chance of moving up the ranks...at least to 100.
You are right. In fact, the African teams, including some asian teams like Iran or korea, their players play regularly in european leagues. That is why, one reason, they do better. The bangladeshi football federation can easily take such steps to get bangladeshi players, or atleast, bangladeshi passport holders to play for bangladesh, if they are performing well in the top leagues. Remember Turkey in the last world cup, they went as far as Semi Final to be beaten by strong Brazil by only one goal, and that says how strong the turkish team was, and you know what, some of those turkish players played in the germany league, and that only proves that how important it is to play in the top leagues to perform for one's country.
Old June 20, 2006, 11:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
Asian (Soccer) Football - 2 billion + people have no representation. Enough said. We need to concentrate on how to play marbels, ekka dokka, chi buri, golla chut etc. We (subcontinent) will get our rear handed to us if we introduce kabadi in the olympics or world stage. it took almost 80 years for an Indian origin player to play in the WC, shame.
Catseye,

Bullshit on the 'no representation'.

India were in Group 3, and got 1 win, 1 draw and 4 losses in their 6 games.

Pakistan went out to Kyrgystan in the qualifiers.

Bangladesh went out to Tajikistan in the qualifiers.

They went out because they werent good enough, not becuase they werent given the chance.

Ian Whitchurch
Old June 21, 2006, 12:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd
You are right. In fact, the African teams, including some asian teams like Iran or korea, their players play regularly in european leagues. That is why, one reason, they do better. The bangladeshi football federation can easily take such steps to get bangladeshi players, or atleast, bangladeshi passport holders to play for bangladesh, if they are performing well in the top leagues. Remember Turkey in the last world cup, they went as far as Semi Final to be beaten by strong Brazil by only one goal, and that says how strong the turkish team was, and you know what, some of those turkish players played in the germany league, and that only proves that how important it is to play in the top leagues to perform for one's country.
i am not sure if any of the foreign passport holders of bangladeshi origin is good enough to get into their top leagues. imagine there are so many bangladeshi origin uk passport holders and yet u dont see any of them becoming quality soccer player. not even an indian or pakistani origin can be seen, even though u will see them plenty in cricket. i dont think its all to do with interest level in asian communities, as in uk soccer is easily the best sports. the bottom line is they simply dont have the physique, skill comes later. baichhang bhutiya who is probably the best player in indian subcontinent , i think has played in english 3rd division and considered himself lucky
Old June 21, 2006, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

yeah, it's all about the physique...that's why we subcontinentals are hopeless when it comes to soccer. it also depends on food habits i guess. i mean let's face it - daal diye gamla bhorti bhaat khaile dourabe kemne?

i guess physique is also the reason why some of the middle eastern teams don't do so well in the world cup either.
Old June 21, 2006, 02:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
. i mean let's face it - daal diye gamla bhorti bhaat khaile dourabe kemne?
Kintu Magar... Pakistani ra to Boot, Gosto ar Naan Ruti Khai.... Tateo to Unara Kishue Korte Parlo Na.
Old June 22, 2006, 12:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
yeah, it's all about the physique...that's why we subcontinentals are hopeless when it comes to soccer. it also depends on food habits i guess. i mean let's face it - daal diye gamla bhorti bhaat khaile dourabe kemne?

i guess physique is also the reason why some of the middle eastern teams don't do so well in the world cup either.
Again, crap.

If underfed slum kids from Rio can play world-class football, then so can anyone else. Look at Ronaldinho's teeth. They spell m-a-l-n-u-t-r-i-t-i-o-n.

Football is about skill, experience and desire.

Ian Whitchurch
Old June 22, 2006, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

well ian, ronalinho is about 6 ft tall with speed and fitness as good as most europeans. if u think that is malnutrition he must have used some magical drink to get that body now. a malnutritioned bangladeshi/indian is like 5-5 with a skinny figure who can be easily wrestled off the ball even if he is a good player. do u ever see ronaldo or ronaldinho getting wrestled off the ball? no way...
Old June 23, 2006, 08:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Asian teams are better than the old east european countries in this World cup. End of story.

1. Poland Out
2. Czech Out (ranked World #2? u must be kidding me)
3. Croatia Out
4. Serbia Out (2nd Most flop)
5. Ukraine Almost Out (A loss against Tunisia (African Champ) will put them in same boat of their brothers)

Just so that you know this WC is not in being held in South America.
Old June 23, 2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

Ok, here what I think. It does not matter if the player is short or tall. It matters if he has the will power, physical streangth, and skill, he will win. I mean Maradona was 5' 5". but he was physically strong. Now, what the problem is with the asians, and brown africans (Tunisia) is that, or atleast what I think, they didn't feel the need or the urge to play for their country wholeheartedly. What I think, seeing them that they do not care if they win or not. Or they might think that O ok we are in world cup, that is enough or I am playing against italy I can't win so just stay a while on the field thats it. In short, they don't have the guts. That is why Iran, KSA and Japan didn't do well. I say, may be after a generation or two the Asians might play well.
Old June 23, 2006, 01:27 PM
Club Cricketer

Or maybe its just skill, or rather, the lack thereof. Physique can be improved, and psychology can be made positive. But if you don't have proper training, its no good. Just look at our national cricket team, and where we've come with thanks to some proper attention. Gotta invest the same way in football.
Old June 25, 2006, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Or maybe its just skill, or rather, the lack thereof. Physique can be improved, and psychology can be made positive. But if you don't have proper training, its no good. Just look at our national cricket team, and where we've come with thanks to some proper attention. Gotta invest the same way in football.
Actually what is disturbing is that bangladesh does not have proper domestic structure for soccer. And for some reason, who ever come to coach Bangladesh national team, they try to leave as soon as possible. Now the coach cruciani, let's see what he does with the team.