facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 3, 2011, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Default victim of 9/11 hate crime now fights for his attacker's life

Quote:
"I've had many years to grow spiritually," said Bhuiyan, a Muslim who immigrated to the U.S. from Bangladesh and now works as technology professional in Dallas. "I'm trying to do my best not to allow the loss of another human life. I'll knock on every door possible."
Days after the 9/11 terror attacks, 31-year old laborer Mark Stroman went on a shooting spree in the Dallas area. In a drug-fueled mission of revenge, he killed two South Asian immigrants and shot another — Rais Bhuiyan — in the face at close range, blinding him in one eye.
Shortly after his arrest, Stroman boasted of his role as "Arab Slayer."
Now, as Stroman faces imminent execution in Texas, an unlikely champion is fighting to save his life: Bhuiyan, who spent years recovering from the wounds he suffered in the attack.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43241014...me_and_courts/

Old June 3, 2011, 07:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Thanks for sharing. Readers' comments are also interesting to read.
Old June 3, 2011, 07:27 AM
Cricket Savant

News indeed!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 3, 2011, 07:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
SoCerebralNone of the victims were Arab... but then when do Americans know the difference between South Asia and Bangladesh, and the Middle East and Arab countries... . Stroman had the same problem, you know.

#3.1 - Fri Jun 3, 2011 7:08 AM EDT

Quote:

chuck wagon

You beat me to it. And while we're at it, not everone who speaks Spanish is Mexican, nor is every Asian Chinese.

#3.2 - Fri Jun 3, 2011 7:22 AM EDT
Old June 3, 2011, 07:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Think I've said all I have to say about Capital Punishment in that old thread...
Old June 3, 2011, 07:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Wonderful piece! Loved it

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old June 3, 2011, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Another comment:

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me, when someone of the faith that so many Christians consider to be an abomination, can demonstrate the teachings of Jesus so much better than the so-called Christians, that would judge them for their beliefs. I'd be interested in knowing how the man that attacked him feels about his victim being the only champion for his life, now - if he's at all grateful, or remorseful now. It's nice to see a story about a Muslim that doesn't attempt to incite fear, for once. It's time that Christians learn to walk the walk - loving their enemies, turning the other cheek, forgiving as we were forgiven, and leaving judgement to God. The pageantry of Christianity doesn't mean anything when it's not backed by the principles that Jesus taught. The hypocrasy that's taken over the Christian community sickens me, and makes me ashamed to be associated with the perpetrators - if only in name. I guess my point is, if you're going to claim to be a Godly person, you have to actually live like a Godly person all of the time, and not just when it's convenient. Jesus would have wanted us to follow this man's example, and I doubt he would be advocating for the execution of the attacker, no matter how heinous his crime. (See: Matthew 7:2-5). I live in Texas, and I can tell you that as sure as this man was born, he will die by lethal injection on July 20th. Perry wouldn't even grant a stay of execution on someone who was very probably innocent of the crime he was being punished for, and he's been scrambling to impede the investigation into the matter ever since. He damn sure isn't going to let this guy slide, just because one of the victims has forgiven him. He'll cite the need to serve justice for the other victims; Jesus himself probably wouldn't be able to get him to change his mind. More than likely, this guy's only hope will be for a Presidential pardon, which is extremely unlikely to happen. I'll be genuinely shocked if I'm wrong.
I wish more Muslims were like Bhuiyan instead of the haters (some of whom we see here on BC)
Old June 3, 2011, 10:57 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Salaam to brother Rais Bhuiyan!