facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Michael Holding for 2-tier system in Test?
Agree 12 40.00%
Disagree 12 40.00%
No, I want 3-tier 3 10.00%
Why care for longer version, it's obsolete 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31, 2010, 10:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque
Lightbulb 2-Tier in Test Cricket

While reading the article on a first class match which ironically included Worcester ended in a day, wow, I found this comment interestingly funny, but also very true:

Quote:
Posted by BillyCC on (June 10 2010, 00:24 AM GMT)
Michael Holding's idea of a two-tier system could work in a T20 World Cup where only the top 4 teams play each other more consistently and the rest go into a secondary tier. This would have been interesting because it would mean India would currently miss out on the next World Cup due to their dismal performance this time, and Australia and England would have missed out previously due to their dismal performances in the past.
So ICC seems up for it, are you ready to see your beloved team relegated after being a power house of cricket so long, or see your tiny youthful team emerging into the top keeping some big boys behind.

Old August 1, 2010, 12:57 AM
Cricket Sage

People don't just stamp your opinion, stand by it with few comments.
Old August 1, 2010, 02:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

If they need to tear up test cricket introducingg two or three tier system, the ICC need to increase the number of test playing nations to 50. How many tiers are there in football with so many countries playing it with varied skills? ICC is not focusing on spreading cricket and that makes all idle brains devil's workshops.
Old August 1, 2010, 10:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

agree, one for 10 test playing nations and one for associates.
Old August 1, 2010, 11:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
If they need to tear up test cricket introducingg two or three tier system, the ICC need to increase the number of test playing nations to 50. How many tiers are there in football with so many countries playing it with varied skills? ICC is not focusing on spreading cricket and that makes all idle brains devil's workshops.
agree. I want ICC to increase two more test nations and all are playing in same level. In all sports there some minnows and still not affecting their quality of playing much. Adding some more nation might slightly affect on quality but quality of cricket is even already affecting in top nation vs top nation matches. What was the quality in just concluded Colombo test involving India and Srilanka. I'd rather watch Bangladesh Vs England match although we know what the result will be. ICC needs to sort out what is the main reason for deteriorating the quality of test cricket.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old August 1, 2010, 01:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Can you imagine if cricket was half as big as Football. How many tyres we would need to keep it rolling.
Old August 1, 2010, 01:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Can you imagine if cricket was half as big as Football. How many tyres we would need to keep it rolling.
can you imagine how long the World Cup would be?

I don't like the 2nd tier Idea. I think it would be better if teams like WI, BD, NZ, Pak send their A team in the intercontinental cup, kind of like what Zim is doing right now. I know it would be a really good experience for our younger players. It would also help out the associates a whole lot.
Old August 2, 2010, 12:23 AM
Cricket Sage

Lets keep in mind that we are not comparing apples and oranges here. Soccer cannot come into question with a heavy duty sport such as Cricket. Soccer is a 2+ hour game at the best. You can arrange soccer matches and sell tickets well below the ticket price of cricket matches and still can gain financially. We are talking about test cricket. This is a 5-day match. Not your backyard T20 when certain no name team can take over a cricketing power.
Old August 2, 2010, 12:33 AM
Cricket Sage

There are some pros and cons of making Test matches 2-tier.

Pros:
Highly competitive matches among close opponents in strength.
More result-oriented test matches, will increase the interest and pull more spectators
Teams will feel competitive and ready once they reach the upper level
The scheduling would be lot easier when number of matches will increase and still players will have ample time to adjust their work life and rest days
The person who voted option 4 will request to vote again in this thread
BD has better chance to make it, look at U-19 team, we always win the plate

Cons
Humiliation awaits for big names in cricket
If by a fluke a weaker team some how gets into the upper tier and makes one top team relegated due to a series of bad tour just because the players were injured or unavailable then the whole concept of competitive test matches will go down the drain.
Old August 6, 2010, 04:47 PM
Cricket Sage

The latest slump of Pakistan, the chronically degrading WI side and Zim's revival again tells me why not?
Old August 9, 2010, 02:41 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doeschate

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=33582

this
Old August 10, 2010, 05:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

I really don't get what he says. Is he talking about 2 Tier in T20 or Test Cricket? As I can understand from your quoted text, that he might be talking about T20 WC. But your poll asks the same question refering michael regarding test.

Well if you want to ask, if a 2 tier system is ok or not irrespective of what Michael says; IMO YES, but it depends on yearly/bi yearly relegation/promotion system between tiers. No tier system without that can be feasible. Is it agreeing to Michael or dis agreeing?
Old August 10, 2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

I would replace Bangladesh with either Zim or Ireland as far as test status is concerned. Bangladesh should only play T20's.
Old August 10, 2010, 09:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
I really don't get what he says. Is he talking about 2 Tier in T20 or Test Cricket? As I can understand from your quoted text, that he might be talking about T20 WC. But your poll asks the same question refering michael regarding test.

Well if you want to ask, if a 2 tier system is ok or not irrespective of what Michael says; IMO YES, but it depends on yearly/bi yearly relegation/promotion system between tiers. No tier system without that can be feasible. Is it agreeing to Michael or dis agreeing?
The quoted text from a comment by a online user on an article about quickest first class match in history. The proposal was first made by Holding and I implied it to possible application for the longer version as this is what needs the utmost care of ICC at the moment. I would regret to see the person who chose option four win over everyone else who loves this version so much.

Quote:
YES, but it depends on yearly/bi yearly relegation/promotion system between tiers. No tier system without that can be feasible
If you follow the tone of my thread and my posts I was very vocal on that issue of Tiering and relegation system, now the bigger boards will not agree because of business reasons. They would not like to see their team relegated for a season which may cost millions or billions probably. But they are missing one thing, the popularity and the intensity both is getting lost due to this sheer stiffness.

This is where ICC needs to rise above all pressure and take firm decisions even against the odds of displeasin few big members.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:46 AM
First Class Cricketer

tier 1: australia, england, india, south africa, sri lanka.

tier 2: pakistan, new zealand, west indies, bangladesh, zimbabwe (give zimbabwe test status).

i voted for "agree".
Old January 14, 2013, 06:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Old March 1, 2013, 04:05 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Why Test cricket needs two tiers to combat threat of Twenty20

Please vote "No" at the middle of the telegraph article.
Old March 1, 2013, 05:11 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

M. Vaughn thinks Kenya is better than Afghans? coz he put Kenya in div 2 ahead of Afghans
Old March 6, 2013, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Australia for tier 2 please!
Old March 6, 2013, 10:38 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Australia for tier 2 please!
Can England join them.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:34 PM
Cricket Legend

What these pundits dont realize is cricket and test cricket in particular is a dying. Any two tier system will further kill it
Old March 7, 2013, 01:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sachin Tendulkar,Shane Wa

I don't agree with this 2 tier system.

Major flaw in this argument is there isn't major gulf in quality between test teams of Australia,India,Pakistan,Srilanka,NewZealand and West Indies. Currently South Africa and upto some extent England are ahead of the pack. These rest of the teams have capacity to beat each other at their home conditions.

Another major problem with this approach will be danger of team like India with good commercial market will be deprived to play in top tier. Let's say India failed to make it in top tier then it's replacement won't able to generate same amount of revenues for home boards. Let's not forget commercial aspect of the game which is equally important as most of the money generated by home boards are because of TV rights.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:40 AM
Banned

I voted against 2-tier system but I want to retract my vote now. Like many Bangladeshis I have a short memory. But the first day against SL has worked like a 'danda'r baari' on my head. It reminded me where we stand in world cricket specially in longer format. Now my new argument is-
why should we disagree with the proposal, we will be playing against teams better than us anyway. WI, NZ and even Zim (sometimes) play better cricket than us. Plus there will be couple of other good teams like SL, Pak time to time. Playing against lesser ranked teams will give us more chances to make the games competitive. And we should be working our way up from there. And the other thing is whats the point of keeping 1-tier system while we don't even know if we are going to play against Ind, Aus an Eng in this decade. 2-tier system will at least let us play more games, at least I hope.