facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 2, 2013, 02:55 AM
MLC World Series I

Default What are we doing to protect women?

According to an editorial feature in today's The Daily Star titled "A return to 'barbarism'"; 5616 women were victims of torture, 771 women and girls were raped & 157 were gang raped in 2012.

In the last page, a report claims an 18 year old rape victim succumbed to death at the hospital after she set herself to fire.

Sexual crimes these days are more often reported than being concealed and ignored. But what are we doing as a nation to protect our women? She may feel the burden lift off her chest but there is no point in the victim coming front if nothing is done about it and the offender just walks free esp in a culture like ours where the victim is harassed.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:42 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Idaning hotat kore rape er gotona bere geche..bujhtechina ki holo hotat?? Daily ashob er news ber hocche..

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old February 2, 2013, 03:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Aadhunik hocche desh.

Old February 2, 2013, 08:37 AM
MLC World Series I

Not sure saying sex crimes have increased is the right word. But, such crimes are being reported more often than before!
Old February 2, 2013, 10:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysun
Not sure saying sex crimes have increased is the right word. But, such crimes are being reported more often than before!
I kind a have the same feeling, before the Delhi incident I was happy & we all were happy thinking this crime has reduced but after Delhi incident we r reading more news about rape victims in BD.
Now my question is, has it really increased or before the Delhi incident the journalists have been ignoring or reluctant to report on these crimes ?

More than the punishment, precautions are needed, better security, good protection, awareness, girls should let others know if she is being harassed by anyone, and then gonodholai , in developed countries girls use one kind of spray, don't know how usefull it is though.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Thanks for opening it....glad people are observing it more, but sadly, women have been raped in the past and nothing much has changed!

Not even after the Delhi case.

I say, just punish the animals (nah, won't compare and insult the animals) in the Saudi Arab style!
Old February 2, 2013, 10:51 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Did any of you in Dhaka go to the Chobi Mela, that is currently going on? (It's fantastic!) There are two exhibitions concerning sexual violence against women and in one of them, I remember seeing a series of photos from Oslo with the caption that between 8,000-16,000 women are raped in Norway, each year! Now, I can't be sure of the veracity of that figure, but anything in that ballpark seems insane for a country with such a low population and such a strong justice system. In any case, it's obvious that such violence is a global and historical phenomenon, even though contexts and power structures differ. But the fact that even "well educated" and "secure" countries have this problem, makes me despair of a solution...
Old February 2, 2013, 11:58 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

makes me sick every time I open Bangla newspaper's website

গাজীপুরে আবারও শিশু গণধর্ষণ
Old February 2, 2013, 11:45 AM
Test Cricketer

@navo I am on my phone right now so can't give you the exact source, but if you do a little research I am sure you will find that Norway is a special case. Because they have a broad criteria as to what sexual violence is and there is very very high rate of violence report even among developed nations. I think the number is for sexual violence (even eve teasing falls in to this category I think) not rape.

Edit: Ok I did some light research and it seems that the recent stats (according many blogs/news source) suggests that an overwhelming number of the rape incidents are caused by immigrants. But take this information and stats with a grain of salt, stats are often easily manipulated to supplement a pre-dispose personal opinion. For the the anti-immigrant norwegian its a tool to make their point and for the pro-women feminists its a tool to spread their message. Within all these hoopla by the interest group the real reason gets brushed under the rug. The real reason is probably a little bit of everything.

Last edited by Blah; February 3, 2013 at 01:10 AM..
Old February 2, 2013, 12:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Who are to blame for the most? the government, the corrupted males or the females themselves?
Old February 2, 2013, 02:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
Who are to blame for the most? the government, the corrupted males or the females themselves?
what is wrong with you??

I was reading somewhere that Bangladesh has made great progress in reducing the number of cases involving acid attacks. This accomplishment was in some ways possible by enforcing strict laws that made it mandatory for courts to produce a judgement in such cases with in a year. One also is not granted a bail for such heinous offence. I was wondering if something similar can be done with "Violent Rape" cases.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
what is wrong with you??
I sincerely hope it wasn't that good ol' "indecent wardrobe" "damsel in distress in ondhokar goli" etc argument...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 3, 2013, 06:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
makes me sick every time I open Bangla newspaper's website

গাজীপুরে আবারও শিশু গণধর্ষণ
It doesn't make me sick anymore...it just makes me wanting to send them to Saudi Arabia and let them get the rape punishment ...bloody pedophiles!

Quote:
ReZ_1, do you really think only wearing clothes that can "provoke" men is why we are blamed? Then what's your opinion about children who get raped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
I sincerely hope it wasn't that good ol' "indecent wardrobe" "damsel in distress in ondhokar goli" etc argument...
Zee, please off jao!!!
Old February 3, 2013, 07:04 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
It doesn't make me sick anymore...it just makes me wanting to send them to Saudi Arabia and let them get the rape punishment ...bloody pedophiles
Zinat, sending them to KSA is not an option. Their laws have many loop holes and violate human rights. It may seem to us that the number of sexual crimes in such a region is less, but it happens and we all know how the women are oppressed despite the presence of a strict law for sexual assault.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:19 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

^females? For what? Its our fault..

Old February 2, 2013, 11:08 PM
MLC World Series I

^ sadly, most of the people think like that!

If we go around in the streets and take a basic survey, I'm certain most of them would give an answer close to that!
Old February 2, 2013, 11:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Don't take me wrong... by mentioning females i was referring actually to those ones who expose themselves intentionally in front of men and public and provokes them to do such things. They themselves are not always the victim but can be the cause of it for other innocent females. Sorry for my bad interpretation in previous post..
Old February 2, 2013, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Don't take me wrong... by mentioning females i was referring actually to those ones who expose themselves intentionally in front of men and public and provokes them to do such things. They themselves are not always the victim but can be the cause of it for other innocent females. Sorry for my bad interpretation in previous post..
Looks like we did NOT get you wrong. There was no incorrect interpretation of your post. It was exactly what you stated above that everyone was decrying. What is provoking in your opinion? Hair visible? Not wearing a burkha?

No matter what the women did, it DOES NOT give a man any license to sexually assault or attack a woman. You don't steal a car just because you see the keys in then ignition, do you?

Blaming women for sexual assault is implying that all men are sexual predators and are wired to become rapists and abusers. That men are violent mindless animals with no control over their basal instincts.

This blame the victim excuse is not limited to just our culture - it is just as prevalent elsewhere - east, west and the twain.

2012: the year when it became okay to blame victims of sexual assault

Quote:
It was the latest in a wave of examples of victim-blaming, a phenomenon that Christina Diamandopoulos, of the Rape Crisis charity, describes as the “myth that women are responsible for men’s sexual behaviour. From this stems the idea that what a woman wears, says, where she goes, or what she does can make her responsible for the crime committed against her.” The problem is compounded by common misconceptions, such as the idea that all rapists are strangers, who attack in dark alleys at night. In fact, Ms Diamandopoulos says, “most rape is committed by partners, ex-partners and men who are known to the woman”.
And if people step forward to claim that rape and sexual abuse do not happen with equal frequency as to other places, I will step forward and accuse you of either lying deliberately or being a vacuous entity. The only reason we hear less in Bangladesh because often women are ashamed to report any such incidence. In our cloistered and benighted culture, the women will of course be blamed and her future will be tarnished forever.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Looks like we did NOT get you wrong. There was no incorrect interpretation of your post. It was exactly what you stated above that everyone was decrying. What is provoking in your opinion? Hair visible? Not wearing a burkha?
Burka's and hijabs will not prevent or even reduce cases of sexual assault. They will reduce greatly, although not eliminate, consensual encounters because no girl feel sexy wearing a hijab and very few guys would considering hitting on a girl wearing one.

However, rape isn't about attraction. Its a sociopathy and it is fueled by one or any combination of anger towards women, power, control. In this situation, a woman wearing a hijab could actually be targetted because of it!

In this regard, I am in total agreement with "liberals" or "feminists".

However, I differ when it comes to the use and excercise of common sense.

Women need to guard against putting themselves in dangerous situations. Girls who show up to a frat party, get piss drunk, and then wake up next to someone and can't remember entering that bedroom, really have only themselves to blame. Once again, opportunistic rape is not any more justifiable than rape as an instrument of war, but girls cannot expect any more sympathy beyond the statement "that guy is a rapist".

I've had discussions where woman have lambasted me for saying that and saying that its a free country and they have the right "to have fun and not be preyed upon." But how is this any different from Magic Johnson, who had unprotected sex with multiple partners, presumably because it was "fun" and ended up with HIV? Responsibility can go a long ways.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 3, 2013, 12:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Assuming you are not being a troll. I hope you understand soon why this line of thinking is wrong.

To everyone else hoping to grab a pitchfork, give the man a chance to understand why he is wrong in his thinking. I can understand where he is coming from (even though I don't agree with him), if you don't give him a fair chance to understand you will alienate him farther to the opposite extreme.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Dammit. I was just starting to sharpen the tines of my pitchfork.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:53 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

sharpening the tines of a pitchfork happens to be a fun exercise for supremely intellectual people who love to make a mountain out of a molehill many a times.... especially in this forum!

back to topic: solution Guys should Lower their Gaze
Old February 3, 2013, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
sharpening the tines of a pitchfork happens to be a fun exercise for supremely intellectual people who love to make a mountain out of a molehill many a times.... especially in this forum!

I think your first comment is well on topic.

Are you implying that criticizing misogynistic and sexist attitudes are making a mountain out of a molehill?

Perhaps NOT making a loud enough noise is what transforms an "unlowered gaze" into full on assault.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat

Or... how about treating your fellow human being with some respect.

Is being women so shameful that you have to lower your gaze to control your 'shameful' impulse? Have you thought about the possibility that not having enough respect for women may lead to sexual violence? Maybe having an unhealthy and repressed attitude towards sexuality leads to violent acts of sex?

What is more shameful, a person who can't control his impulse or a person who is women?

Like this guy?
Old February 3, 2013, 06:49 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
Like this guy?
What an a-hole!