facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Do you want new players to be included in the NZ tour?
Yes, I like to see new star s like Junaed and Imrul in the team. 16 48.48%
No. I like to see the current team intact. 12 36.36%
No. I like to see previously discarded players like Kapali in the team. 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13, 2007, 05:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....
Default Do you want new players to be included in the NZ tour?

Our current test and ODI team players specially batsmen are failing continuously in this NCL. Besides that new players like Zunaed and Imrul has been playing superbly so far. Some previously discarded players like Kapali and Nafis Iqbal are also playing well. This makes the selection issue tougher and tougher. So why not participating in a poll to get fans view about the selection of the upcoming tour players?

Last edited by WarWolf; November 13, 2007 at 09:52 AM..

Old November 13, 2007, 06:02 AM
Cricket Legend

No wholesale changes please. One or maybe two new faces in a tour is the most a young team like Bangladesh should have. We need our players to play together, to gel as a unit. They can't do that if you keep bringing in people every time they score seventy-odd runs or take four wickets in sub-par domestic competition. Why is team chemistry so underrated in BanglaCricket?
Old November 13, 2007, 06:08 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I personally rate New Zealand tour as the toughest one for any sub-continent team.

We are touring New Zealand in the early cricket season which is the most difficult period for batsmen against Kiwi swing bowlers.

I will not take more than two inexperienced player in the touring squad and they should be preferably bowlers.
Old November 13, 2007, 06:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I personally rate New Zealand tour as the toughest one for any sub-continent team.

We are touring New Zealand in the early cricket season which is the most difficult period for batsmen against Kiwi swing bowlers.

I will not take more than two inexperienced player in the touring squad and they should be preferably bowlers.
Spot on.
Old November 13, 2007, 06:35 AM
Cricket Guru

National team is not a nursey. We cannot expect that kids will grow up there at once and start acting like men. This is specially true for batsmen. We can bring 1/2 bowlers as back up or can try them in one or two matches. But inexperienced batsmen against Bond and Co. in their own ground?

Never!!!

Why not sending Junaed, Imrul and other promising players to NZ or Aus with development squad or A team? We need to move forward step by step not by big jumps.

Last edited by WarWolf; November 13, 2007 at 06:59 AM..
Old November 13, 2007, 07:47 AM
Cricket Guru

National team is not a nursery, neither it should be an old home. What's the point of holding on to players like JO and Bashar who are clearly long past their primes ?

Even if we keep selecting JO and Bashar for the Test team, the ODI squad (notice I said the squad, not the team i.e. 1st XI) has openings for another opener and two more middle order batsmen. So, like it or not, someone from Zunaed and Imrul will get selected for the NZ tour even if only for ODIs. Middle order positions will be fought between Alok, Rajin, Mehrab Jr, and Nazimuddin - all those guys are more or less experienced in the national team and the A-team, none of those guys are underdeveloped for international stage.

Last edited by Eshen; November 13, 2007 at 08:02 AM..
Old November 13, 2007, 09:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

This thread is very misleading.

By current team do you mean the Twenty/20 team or the team that played test?
Last time we played test we had Habibul Bashar. He no way can stay in the team. Clarify the above question then I can give my 2 cents.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
This thread is very misleading.

By current team do you mean the Twenty/20 team or the team that played test?
Last time we played test we had Habibul Bashar. He no way can stay in the team. Clarify the above question then I can give my 2 cents.
Sorry for it. Actually I tried to mean the current test and ODI teams. IMO Habibul Bashar is out of consideration for the national team as his current NCL record doesn't show that he is back into form.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:52 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Sorry for it. Actually I tried to mean the current test and ODI teams. IMO Habibul Bashar is out of consideration for the national team as his current NCL record doesn't show that he is back into form.
Sorry can't take your explanation on the thread although it is opened by you.

As Habibul Bashar was a part of the last Test squad, he is included in the current team until he is dropped from the NZ bound squad (which I doubt).
Old November 13, 2007, 09:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
National team is not a nursery, neither it should be an old home. What's the point of holding on to players like JO and Bashar who are clearly long past their primes ?

Even if we keep selecting JO and Bashar for the Test team, the ODI squad (notice I said the squad, not the team i.e. 1st XI) has openings for another opener and two more middle order batsmen. So, like it or not, someone from Zunaed and Imrul will get selected for the NZ tour even if only for ODIs. Middle order positions will be fought between Alok, Rajin, Mehrab Jr, and Nazimuddin - all those guys are more or less experienced in the national team and the A-team, none of those guys are underdeveloped for international stage.
Debut against NZ in green NZ pitches is one of the hardest evens to ask. If you see the pattern that is followed by top teams you will see that they give chances for the new comer against weaker opponents. I hope you don't forget seeing a lot of new players of other test teams getting a dream start against bangladesh.

Nazimuddin is not that much familar with internation arena, I am afraid.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Sorry can't take your explanation on the thread although it is opened by you.

As Habibul Bashar was a part of the last Test squad, he is included in the current team until he is dropped from the NZ bound squad (which I doubt). Till then he is a current national team player.
Logically you are right. I would like to see his replacement for sure. Even in NCL he really didnt show any thing which can be regarded as really impressive.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

You can have upto 2 newbie in the 15 member team, but only one playing at a time. Discards like Kapali? NO WAY.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:58 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Logically you are right. I would like to see his replacement for sure. Even in NCL he really didnt show any thing which can be regarded as really impressive.
To be honest, Siddons wouldn't even think to exclude a seasoned campaigner like Habibul in the NZ bound squad which is a minefield for the sub-continent batsmen.

Habibul is a sure shot for the NZ bound squad, I don't know about the home series against South Africa, but mark my words here for the NZ series.
Old November 13, 2007, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I would like to see players from the current crop of 20 or so, which may also include some of the discards.
Old November 13, 2007, 10:13 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
IMO Habibul Bashar is out of consideration for the national team as his current NCL record doesn't show that he is back into form.
Although I would like to see Bashar being replaced by an younger batsman, this logic is not going to float. Except for Sakib and Pilot, Bashar scored more runs (273) in NCL than other players who played in the last Test series for Bangladesh. He is no more out of form than others are.

Quote:
Debut against NZ in green NZ pitches is one of the hardest evens to ask.
I guess you don't watch ODIs that often. Nowadays it's rare to see a green pitch in an ODI, at least there was no green pitch in ODIs that took place in NZ in recent past.

Quote:
If you see the pattern that is followed by top teams you will see that they give chances for the new comer against weaker opponents. I hope you don't forget seeing a lot of new players of other test teams getting a dream start against bangladesh.
Unlike top teams we don't have capable seniors to keep youngsters out of international stage. Unlike top teams, our seniors won't make a difference what will be match results on an overseas tour. Thus we have all the reasons to give the juniors the valuable experience they need.

Quote:
Nazimuddin is not that much familar with internation arena, I am afraid.
Nazimuddin has spent good amount of time with the u/19 team and the A-team. He already toured England twice where conditions are also believed to be very seaming friendly. He is far better prepared for international stage than any Bangladeshi national player was before his international debut.

Once again, I understand (even if I am not happy) if the selectors want to continue with seniors in the Test team, but there is no good reason to hold youngsters back from the ODI team.

Last edited by Eshen; November 13, 2007 at 10:37 AM..
Old November 13, 2007, 10:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I guess you don't watch ODIs that often. Nowadays it's rare to see a green pitch in an ODI, at least there was no green pitch in ODIs that took place in NZ in recent past.
I was talking about both ODI and tests. Even If you take ODIs alone you probably failed to notice that even ODI wickets in NZ are fast and bouncy enought to trouble our batsmen and offer assistance for face bowlers earlier in the innings specially in the morning.

Quote:
Unlike top teams we don't have capable seniors to keep youngsters out of international stage. Unlike top teams, our seniors won't make a difference what will be match results on an overseas tour. Thus we have all the reasons to give the juniors the valuable experience they need.
This became a cycle. We don't have enough capable seniors to keep young guns out of the team. So we bring new ones. They come and fail to cope in this level due to inexperience and lack of temperament. Then they get dropped out too. Again few new guys come. We need to break the pattern. Don't we?

Quote:
Nazimuddin has spent good amount of time with the u/19 team and the A-team. He already toured England twice where conditions are also believed to be very seaming friendly. He is far better prepared for international stage than any Bangladeshi national player was before his international debut.
I think you are correct about Nazimuddin. Just checked his stats and found he has good experience in first class matches. 46 first class matches averaging 36.67 with 6 hundreds and 15 fifties is a very good record and shows his experience in the game.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I was talking about both ODI and tests. Even If you take ODIs alone you probably failed to notice that even ODI wickets in NZ are fast and bouncy enought to trouble our batsmen and offer assistance for face bowlers earlier in the innings specially in the morning.
From what I have seen in the one-day world cup and T20 WC, our younger generation of players are not that naive against traditional hard and bouncy ODI wickets. Morning moisture ? that can be a factor on any place in the world.

Quote:
This became a cycle. We don't have enough capable seniors to keep young guns out of the team. So we bring new ones. They come and fail to cope in this level due to inexperience and lack of temperament. Then they get dropped out too. Again few new guys come. We need to break the pattern. Don't we?
Contrary to popular belief here in BC, I think the cycle that hurts us most is that we give under performing players longer stint than they should get in a national team. Those players become dead weights for the team and hurts overall performance of it. The main reason for this trend is that we don't keep alternatives ready when a player goes out of form and thus we have to linger with him longer than necessary.

A players confidence (in cases of yong ones)is hurt most when he is made to keep playing at top level even when he is out of form.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:13 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I would like to see players from the current crop of 20 or so, which may also include some of the discards.
this is nearly always the case...although BD seems to have a newbie show up every second or third tour (e.g sakib, farhad)

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 13, 2007, 11:13 AM
Cricket Guru

NZ tour will be an acid test for our batsmen and bowlers. NZ pacers, with their strength in pace, swing, and intelligence, will easily figure out the problem of our batsmen. Currently, though a huge shuffle in team selection, is always huge concern for fans and selectors, we have to find out which players are comfortable playing shots in NZ environment. There will be plenty of bounce and swing movement, batsemn, who are lacking feet movement, hands-eye-feet cordination, shot selection, will get out cheaply as usual. Even we choose our current national squad, I do not see any noticeable batsmen who are comfortable dealing with deliveries in bouncy track, or playing with ease in back or front foot. Still remember how Mukkudem troubled our top order with swing in last world cup!!!
This time also, unfortunately, we heavily rely upon Ash and Aftab, and the late resistance from Sakib for top order collapse. Let's see how Siddons can rectify that error among our existing national team batsmen.
Zunaed, Imrul, Nazimuddin, Farhad, and others newbies are doing well but not sure if they are ready for NZ tour. I was hoping next few rounds, we will see some consistencies in getting runs among newbies, national team players and also experienced ones, but where is that consistency??

Last edited by SS; November 13, 2007 at 11:19 AM..
Old November 13, 2007, 11:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
From what I have seen in the one-day world cup and T20 WC, our younger generation of players are not that naive against traditional hard and bouncy ODI wickets. Morning moisture ? that can be a factor on any place in the world.
In one day world cup our generation batsmen didn't show any significant skill of playing on hard and bouncy wickets. Match against Bermuda showed how much vulnerable our batsmen (all of them; irrespective of belong to new or old generation) are on a deadly swinging track. Match against WI and Ireland clearly showed our inability to play on wickets that are fast and offer bounce.

In T20 world cup, the wickets were really flat.

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief here in BC, I think the cycle that hurts us most is that we give under performing players longer stint than they should get in a national team. Those players become dead weights for the team and hurts overall performance of it. The main reason for this trend is that we don't keep alternatives ready when a player goes out of form and thus we have to linger with him longer than necessary.
No comment. If you say the sun rises on the west then i really have nothing to say.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

No, I'd like the same team to tour NZ. I doubt new players will be able adjust to the difficult conditions there so easily. It's better not to risk it. At most I'd pick Junaed on the squad.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

If you ask me, I would say a big NO. Here are a few reasons:

1. I know the team is in a terrible condition in terms of players' technical abilities, but putting new players in the middle might not make the situation better all of a sudden. There's nothing called a silver bullet, and adding new players without much thought is a silver bullet syndrome (something that BCB has been suffering from).

2. The new coach would want players who have proven talents. Seeing first class stats of less than 30 matches, he'll just cross out the player immediately. It takes a bit of time for everyone to cope up, and it will certainly take him a long time to come down to BCB's standards.

3. Personal opinion: Let the coach get to know the team and the structure. Two changes at the same time is always more challenging than one change followed by another. Since a new coach is one change to begin with, let the team be intact. Let the coach decide from this tourney what he needs to do with the technical flaws. May be he will have some ideas to correct these problems. May be he'll ask for new guys. But he will only do that once he sees these guys perform in the job...not in the net.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

The team should keep its 8 or 9 core players, I mean those who have been playing together since the world cup. A few spots can be given to a few newcomers for ODIs.if not, how will they ever be exposed to the international arena

I feel that Bashar should be retained for tests. No new player should play in the test matches, you cannot try out players in this form of the game.
On second thoughts, Ashraful played his maiden Test match in 2001 and scored his first century, so maybe one newcomer can be given a chance, this is the only way, all test players now had to have played a first time, but only after 3 seasons of good performance in the NCL.

Anyhow, it is left to the selectors and coach Siddons who might only have one week to choose the squad and start his training camp.

Last edited by zainab; November 13, 2007 at 04:22 PM..
Old November 13, 2007, 01:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
No new player should play in the test matches, you cannot try out players in this form of the game.
Unless they have 25 FC half-centuries or 15 five wicket hauls
Old November 13, 2007, 01:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

New coach. New Selectors. Some change is inevitable where you least expect.