facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 15, 2007, 02:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Oath-2007

2007 is probably the time to re-adjust the frequency of BD Cricket. Frequency not only in terms of performance, but more importantly in terms of expectations... and that, from both the players and fans as well.

The time to have a shaky confidence is over. The time to have all the half-believes is gone already. At this moment, BD is neither at the level of associates, nor placed at a very high level of the game. They are moderately equipped with regular supply of young-prospects and considerable infrastructures in the country as well as huge interest for the game among the fans.

Its time for the team and the fans to start taking a defeat as just a defeat. Yes, that is what it has to be. No matter how bad the defeat is, it has to be counted as just another loss. We fans shouldn’t forget that many of the top test nations often suffer bad defeats when they play each other. There’s hardly any huge cry about the team when that happens.

In the next one or two years... BD might only win 2-3 matches out of 10 played against stronger test teams (and I honestly believe they will). But those other 7-8 losses will not indicate failures of the team. This win-loss ratio will improve every year for BD inshallah. “I don’t count respectable a defeat as a success, I only want wins” –is probably a level of expectation which can only suffocate and frustrate a fan.

Moreover, as they always say, maybe it takes a lot of hard work to score 80 out of 100 in an Exam, but it takes a much harder work to score the last 20 and get the score to near 100. Fans need to be patient and reset their expectation-scale to a more realistic sphere. Let it be the Oath of the team and the fans for 2007 and ahead.

Felt like calming myself down and sharing it with everyone here just one day before BD’s opening match of the WC-2007.

Old March 15, 2007, 02:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Nice post!! And in wins be humble. At least that what I will be doing.
Old March 15, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Amen. Great post.
Old March 15, 2007, 02:36 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I concur.
Old March 15, 2007, 04:01 PM
Test Cricketer

What a nice post!

I dont believe that adrenaline/cortisol should drive me crazy and make me blind folded, and forget what I am supposed to do in the field. Adrenaline should make me more prepared to concur!

Considering the current BD performances, I see each win will be a hard fought battle against the biggies. Not with the hi-fi buzz, some of the fellow members are making.

We will prevail. I have no doubt.
Old March 15, 2007, 08:51 PM
Club Cricketer

I really don't care about the expectation of fans as it does not; and should not- eigther directly or indirectly affect the performance of the team. An individual is free to think and expect in terms of whatever skewed reality he lives in.

As for the team: I think its almost about time they start thinking of themselves as one of the super nines of world cricket
Old March 15, 2007, 09:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Nice post.
We should dream and do our work reasonably rather than expecting too high and thinking of our team will win every match.
Old March 15, 2007, 11:13 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

great post. I agree with you bud!
Old March 15, 2007, 11:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Its time for the team and the fans to start taking a defeat as just a defeat. Yes, that is what it has to be. No matter how bad the defeat is, it has to be counted as just another loss. We fans shouldn’t forget that many of the top test nations often suffer bad defeats when they play each other. There’s hardly any huge cry about the team when that happens.

Excellent Point. From hereforth, there should be no more MORAL victories and also conversely CRYING about the failures of BD in a bad loss. A LOSS should just be only a LOSS. It should simply be looked at in the perspective "You were better than me today but we'll get you tomorrow"
Old March 16, 2007, 12:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizvi
A LOSS should just be only a LOSS. It should simply be looked at in the perspective "You were better than me today but we'll get you tomorrow"
Nicely put.

I hope all the fans realize this. Actually, it has something to do with some kind of "minority complex", coz when you're weaker, you just feel that the next loss will be YET ANOTHER loss. It's time that we (and everyone else) start thinking of the Tigers as just one of the good teams, whose result cannot be predicted from 10 days before. The results will depend on the day both the teams meet, where both the teams will compete.
Old March 16, 2007, 02:17 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Thanks everyone.

Just to get an idea of current success rate(considering last 50 ODIs for each team) of some of the Teams ranked higher than BD, here is the win-loss ratio of the teams ranked from 4 to 8 in the ICC current ranking table:

ICC-Rank/Team/Win/Lose/ Other Results
4 PAK- 25(50%) 22(44%) 3(6%)
5 IND- 26(52%) 21(42%) 3(6%)
6 SL- 23(46%) 23(46%) 4(8%)
7 ENG- 17(34%) 29(58%) 4(8%)
8 WI- 21(42%) 28(56%) 1(2%)

Now.. the win-loss ratio for BD team in last 50 ODIs is 28win-vs-22Lose (56%-44%).. but I will not take that as a considerable stat because majority of the matches were against ZIM and other weaker teams. But if BD can attain to a 30% success rate(in matches against 1-8 Ranked teams) in the next 2-3 years, I will consider that to be a good success!