facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 10, 2005, 02:46 AM
Street Cricketer

Default How about Wasim Akrsm?

This topic doesn't mean that I have already assumed that Dave is leaving, of course I am praying that he stays.But say his decision went in favour of India, then can't we throw the offer to Wasim Akram? He(Wasim) is a big fan of Bangladesh, he said that by himself and there is also an added advantage of better communication between him and the players in terms of language. What do u think?

Old April 10, 2005, 04:10 AM
Test Cricketer

No deshi Coach pleaseeeeee! Wasim Akram can be bowling coach.
Old April 10, 2005, 08:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

What if W.Akram is our coach...
I guess our team perform like this..
Bowling Dept.: specially fast bowlers b-coming very lethal
Batting Dept: Hit every ball with your eye close...(coz i c some big hitting by W. Akram, when he hits a ball.. he actually close his eye's.... just kidding)
Fielding Dept.: As usual we're really good at this dept. mayb best in Asia!.. so that not gonna change!
Old April 10, 2005, 10:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

I think first of all- Wasim is going to demand a huge salary, secondly, he's not going to teach our players with respect. And thirdly- he doesn't have experience in coaching.
Not all good students are good teachers!
Old April 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chyicarus
he's not going to teach our players with respect.
Why?
Old April 10, 2005, 12:16 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chyicarus
Not all good students are good teachers!
But most good students are( Then how can we rule him out straight away)

A coach can never have all positive sides. I would be really happy if someone could point out what Wasims negetive and positive sides would be as a coach. He is inexperienced - True. But does it neccesarily mean that he can never be a good coach. Well, I don't know about u guys but I guess he would be fine to start his career with Bangladesh.
( I am not a great fan of Wasim, I just feel he could also be the one.....).
Old April 10, 2005, 12:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

I'm a great fan of player Wasim Akram but I'm not sure if he would be a great coach. He has no proven track record as a coach. He was a talented player but we never heard of him as a disciplined player, which is a must for a good coach. So for now we should wait.
Old April 10, 2005, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I doubt he will be a good coach. Im just hoping Dav stays. If not we should get Wright or another coach with experience in internationals (like with a test side) or a coach with experience with younger sides (like acadamy coaches).
Old April 10, 2005, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Yeah I agree. I would really resist a sub-continental coach unless we really can't do any better. There always seems to be some form of politics going on when a sub-continental is in charge of our team. Now, I know its silly to take past experiences and put a blanket ban on all coaches from the sub-continent, but I just feel a lot more comfortable with someone non-subcontinental.

We need to get someone who is a qualified coach. Experience would be useful as well. We have had some good suggestions and I'm sure the BCB will look into all our options carefully if and when Whatmore decides to go.

Edited on, April 10, 2005, 6:32 PM GMT, by Sham.
Old April 10, 2005, 03:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Wasim Akram does not have any coaching experience. Taking him for our national coaching will be a gamble. At this point of our national team, we can not gamble. We need someone who has shown success in coaching before. We need someone like Whatmore.
Old April 10, 2005, 04:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Code:
He(Wasim) is a big fan of Bangladesh
Is he? May be he is a big big big (ceiling) fan of Bangladesh, that doesnt certify his being a good coach for Test cricket level. He doesn't even have the proven coaching ability in terms of experience. I would go for our BD coach Sarwar instead of Akram at any given day.

Code:
there is also an added advantage of better communication between him and the players in terms of language
In terms of language?? Which language youre talking about? Urdu/Hindi, right? I wonder what makes you think that our cricketers have more profound knowledge in Urdu rather than English(unless they have been watching lotsa crappy hindi films lately). The thought of knowing Urdu better than English for a Bangladeshi is a reflection of a "stoop down" mindset, IMHO.
Old April 10, 2005, 06:26 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Navarene
In terms of language?? Which language youre talking about? Urdu/Hindi, right? I wonder what makes you think that our cricketers have more profound knowledge in Urdu rather than English(unless they have been watching lotsa crappy hindi films lately). The thought of knowing Urdu better than English for a Bangladeshi is a reflection of a "stoop down" mindset, IMHO.
Forget getting Wasim Akram as our next coach simply because Dave hasnt left us yet. My question to u is what makes u think that they dont know more about Hindi/Urdu than English? Ofcourse most of our cricketers have better knowledge on Hindi or Urdu than English. Now dont ask me why? If u havent realized it yet then its about time. Beside i really wonder why is, "the thought of knowing Urdu better than English for a Bangladeshi is a reflection of a "stoop down" mindset"? Seems like u have problems with Bangladeshi people knowing Hindi or Urdu.
Old April 10, 2005, 09:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Wasim can be our bowling coach for a month or 2 in different periods, but NO WAY he can be the coach of the team. Please don't even entertain it in your dreams.....
Old April 10, 2005, 10:01 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

We need an experienced coach. Wasim should start coaching domestic/county sides before coaching an intl. side like BD. I'm not sure if he has actually coached sub-international sides yet, though... Does anyone know?
Old April 10, 2005, 10:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubayed
Quote:
Originally posted by Navarene
Forget getting Wasim Akram as our next coach simply because Dave hasnt left us yet. My question to u is what makes u think that they dont know more about Hindi/Urdu than English? Ofcourse most of our cricketers have better knowledge on Hindi or Urdu than English. Now dont ask me why? If u havent realized it yet then its about time. Beside i really wonder why is, "the thought of knowing Urdu better than English for a Bangladeshi is a reflection of a "stoop down" mindset"? Seems like u have problems with Bangladeshi people knowing Hindi or Urdu.
I think that hiring a "deshi" coach is NOT teh way to go because of the possibility of ill-feeling and complexities. An aussie/pommie/non-deshi coach is a better way to go because they are like "outsiders", politically speaking, and secondly non-deshi coaches from successful Test nations (namely Australia) have a proven track-record as players, and are more likely to transfer the winnning formula to the BD team than a coach from a sub-standard deshi team (relatively speaking, of course).
Old April 10, 2005, 10:32 PM
First Class Cricketer

to add, in the same vein, despite being a great cricketer he is never known for strong ethical standard.. and does alot of dola doli..

i like him though,, terrific bowler.. and knows the game thouroughly.. just too much talent. but absolutely meaningless to have him as a coach.. few month stint as abowling coach will be great...
Old April 10, 2005, 11:29 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
How about Wasim Akrsm?
And create yet another 'World Cup 2003 debacle?' No Thank You.

He's a great player, but has a very poor knowledge on coaching or rather, on suggesting coaches. He was the one who suggested to Ali Asgar Loby about Mohsin Kamal.
Old April 10, 2005, 11:36 PM
First BC Member

Quote:
Is he? May be he is a big big big (ceiling) fan of Bangladesh, that doesnt certify his being a good coach for Test cricket level. He doesn't even have the proven coaching ability in terms of experience. I would go for our BD coach Sarwar instead of Akram at any given day.
I agree, me too.
Old April 10, 2005, 11:40 PM
First BC Member

Quote:
I don't know how better our players know the language of English compared to Hindi/Urdu, but I know this that Dav Whatmore, and many of his coaching staffs have been speaking with our national players for over two years now, so the players in general must be accustomed to speaking in half-English / half Bengali by now.
Old April 11, 2005, 12:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

>>He was the one who suggested to Ali Asgar Loby about Mohsin Kamal.

I thought Tauqir Zia suggested that.
Old April 11, 2005, 12:47 AM

Quote:
He ( Wasim Akram ) is inexperienced - True. But does it neccesarily mean that he can never be a good coach. Well, I don't know about u guys but I guess he would be fine to start his career with Bangladesh.
Also doesn't necessarily mean that he could be good coach either. When he is not experienced as a coach at any level, how he could be a coach of a test team? I don't understand the logic, how he could be a good coach for our team.

Edited on, April 11, 2005, 5:49 AM GMT, by PoorFan.
Old April 11, 2005, 12:47 AM
Test Cricketer

I think Javed Miandad is better option compare to Wasim Akram. What about bring back Gordon Grinidge? Will he be interested to come back?
Old April 11, 2005, 01:09 AM
Cricket Legend

I believe that we can take Wasim Akram as a Bowling Coach for a certain period to make our pacers lethal. If we remember, how Irfan was benefitted by his tips in Australia, I think there is absolutely no problem (in terms of going backwards) to get his service to train our pacers. We have a lot of new talents after the pacer hunt, but most of them are having the raw pace including Rajib. We need them to know how to move the ball, how to make themselves lethal. On this context, he should be choice no.1 (as Bowling Coach only).
Old April 11, 2005, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I believe that we can take Wasim Akram as a Bowling Coach for a certain period to make our pacers lethal. If we remember, how Irfan was benefitted by his tips in Australia, I think there is absolutely no problem (in terms of going backwards) to get his service to train our pacers. We have a lot of new talents after the pacer hunt, but most of them are having the raw pace including Rajib. We need them to know how to move the ball, how to make themselves lethal. On this context, he should be choice no.1 (as Bowling Coach only).
Yes, I agree with you.
Old April 11, 2005, 03:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Well we can surely discuss this matter.. because either this month or 2 years later.. Dav is surely gonna leave.. and we will need a replaement then.

But hei...its not really about being a fan of BD or about the language problem or even about being a 'Deshi' or not.

It's simply about professionalism.
We need professionally proven coaches... not someone we just have high fascinations about.

Wasim Akram was no doubt a top class player, and a successful captain as well.. but that doesn't mean he is sure to be excellent as a coach also. Choosing him to be the NL Team Coach would really be a big big GAMBLE... which may click and may even backfire right on our face!!

It's our National Team's undisturbed progress that is under question... and issues like these are far more sensitive for a 'Developing Team' than an 'Already-Top' team. Stronger teams will handle the fate of choosing the wrong coach much better than a weaker team just because of the strength of their cricket they already have.

It would really be quite stupid to put this very sensitive position into GAMBLE!
We simply should go for proven ones!