facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 10, 2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default Prepping for the big game

So this is for the fans. Sure the whole site is for the fans, their emotions and opinions, but this is more specific. We interview players, talk about how they prepare themselves for big games, scrutinize their every comment, etc etc. But what do you do on the eve (or even before that) of a match involving Bangladesh? How do you warm up for the grand occasion?

In a way, this could be likened to one of those therapy sessions where junkies sit in a circle and start sharing their issues. The first step is always to admit and acknowledge that one has a problem and then go from there. But this isn't to fix you - your problem (if you have one at all, which is debatable) is no one else's business unless you want it to be.

So how do you do it? I'll go first. Weeks (and sometimes months, depending on how starved I am) before the game, I develop symptoms such as a dry throat, slightly increased heart rates and constant pumping of my adrenal glands. As the game approaches, these give way to palpitations, a sinking sensation in the stomach and a choking sensation around the thyroid. Body temperatures rise beyond 100 F but I hardly feel like I have a fever; in fact I feel so pumped up that if I could bowl fast enough, I'd go out and crack some helmets.

The night before the game, I'll cook something nice. It's a ritual - one that I don't necessarily need an excuse for - and I like to make sure that I fill approximately 85% of my stomach as opposed to the usual 120%. This is to make sure that all my senses are fully alert during the game and that I can perform (viewing) at my best. I eat way ahead of the game too.

Right before the toss, I listen to "Cholo Bangladesh", which charges me up to the point where I eagerly await the breaking of abdomen guards by Mashrafe and the unwinding of the seam by Tamim. Finally, it is time for eight hours of pain as I watch my team get clobbered around.

So what do you, fan of Bangladesh cricket, do to ensure that you're in top form going into a game? Physical conditions, emotions, agitations, superstitions - don't hold back.

Old January 10, 2010, 09:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

I am very superstitious, So a few days before every match, I try not to do Bad things. If I don't do bad things we usually do good things, Particularly Matin. If I do bad things we do bad.

Sometimes I schedule my entire day around the game, it's almost karma like ... Since a victory would make very happy and a loss does hamper my mood.

I believe that my behavior effects the Tigers play.

I believe this for all my sporting teams
Old January 10, 2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

I get this happy feeling, which gets strong about a day before the first match. I start playing stick cricket with the opponent of our national team and beat the heck out of them. My prep.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Three-four shots of Jameson or Patron.
Old January 10, 2010, 10:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

nothing in particular, just try to keep busy before game-time...of course there are 2 different pre-game modes: in-school mode and vacation mode. both modes are filled with the utmost anticipation.

1) in school mode: try to study/get work done (varying success...right now i feel fairly successful getting nearly an entire path lecture out of the way...neuroscience is left (boring as hell right now))...sometimes also try to get in a long (by normal human standards) nap of anywhere from 2-4 hours to help "kill" the time.

before the match, i will usually check out CI's preview, and also check to see what the "experts" and ICF and Pakpassion think - if they even bother to open a thread that is.

when match time finally arrives, i fire up firefox with a window open for BC (used BC chat compulsively for a time in late 2007), cricinfo, and a streaming site if applicable (espn for the forseeable future - alhamdulillah). i also open up ICF/Pakpassion if we're playing against them, though i keep my gloating/defense down to a minimum, cuz i know things can change at any moment. besides, its more enjoyable to see them eat their own words if and when those situations arise.

during gametime, i try to have some tasty food available to eat while i watch. today its guylian milk chocolate bars, but it could be a full on meal, ice cream, pizza, shawarma, u name it...

2) vacation mode: usually means i'm at home with my family. time passing can be either easier or harder depending on whats going on, although i have more entertainment options (usually involves watching Law and Order: SVU or Cosby Show, or Fresh Prince, or Home Improvement re-runs). before our India world cup match in 2007, i actually woke up fajr time, and played NBA Live 07 on my Xbox before heading off to watch the game with friends at Vanderbilt.

but when i'm at home, i usually will watch or follow on the family desktop (19" inch monitor) as I have yet to be able to connect my 47 inch 1080p to the PC...i'll watch until an hour or so after my family goes to bed, and then pretend i've gone to bed myself (my mother, and even my father do not understand this notion of forsaking sleep for cricket - which they regard as a dangerous form of fanatacism).

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 10, 2010, 10:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

That not-doing-bad-things or trying-to-do-good-stuff more of cricman is my way too. I also try spend the time before the match doing something important (e.g. - studying mainly) just to show my dad that I'm doing something and so that when I go on to start watching the match, he doesn't tell me off saying that all i do all day is watching games.

Also most of the stuff you said ATMR applies to me too. Also when exams or other important dates are around, I make a schedule in MS Excel (I dunno how many excel files I currently have in my laptop which I've been saving for last 3 years, coz once I make one, I dont bother looking for it. i just make a new one, when i need one).
Old January 10, 2010, 11:06 PM
Cricket Sage

the only time i called out of work to watch a BD game was world cup 2007 against India, and we won. so come 2011 I will call out of work again to watch the game against India.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Long before CI even starts to think about the game, I get my game mode on. Looking forward to the day, higher blood pressure, shaky hands are just norms for me.
T minus 2-3 days prior to the game, I will look for all the previews of the game I can find and read it until the words are stuck in my head, all my prayers end with "Allah eibar jitae daw"
T minus 2 hours, postpone everything thats possible, and if not postponing is not possible, then totally avoid the task [how many lectures have i skipped because of a game?]
T minus 5 minutes: BC match thread in one tab, cricinfo score update in another, and all the live streams bookmarked for convenience. And in case the link is behind the CI update i close the CI tab without hesitating
Watching Ash bat probably makes me more nervous than myself batting, so at times I almost wish he gets out. And in case he does not get out, the frequency of my random walks and nervous talk with people increases.
Also, If Bangladesh is playing well, i keep on doing what i was doing, in most cases sitting down...sometimes playing guitar, and in the unlikely case, studying.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:38 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I watch videos of past/recent successes...repeatedly! Thankfully there is more to choose from nowadays.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:48 PM
BC Editorial Team

I work extra hard to get the kids in bed and all chores taken care of. Then prepping the better half so that she doesn't sing (ala Bangla): "সে কেন অামার কু__ অাসেনা. Plus I start thinking of an excuse for why I will be bleary eyed at work the next day. And remember to put a blanket in the car in case I need to take a nap in the parking lot.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:56 PM
Cricket Savant

1. Wear Hatebreed bhayia's designed t-shirt for BC.
2. Exit from all the unnecessary programs from taskbar for faster bandwidth.
3. Ping the host's server and make sure there is no block in traffic flow clearing all ports.
4. Initiate Plan B incase stream 1 dies, there is a backup screen with different stream in my command center.
5. Get into a comfortable yoga asana, inhale and exhale few deep breaths and quietly lol on the mantra that "People who buy Macs are the same people who said BETA is better than VHS 15 years ago."
6. Prepare my instant cup noodles....and i am all set.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 11, 2010, 12:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
1. Wear Hatebreed bhayia's designed t-shirt for BC.
I dont know about this T-shirt. enlighten me plz :0
Old January 11, 2010, 01:22 AM
Cricket Legend

My "prep" for a BIG game usually begins a week before the match. Until the actual day of the match, I'll be checking our players' stats on cricinfo and constantly checking banglacricket for any new info on the players/match + constant youtubing of great moments for the Bangladesh team. On the day of the match, due to the fact I live in Australia and time here is ahead of most other places, I have to wait 'til almost the end of the day for the matches to begin. Horrible wait that. Constant agitation is the order of the day. I'm basically on banglacricket and cricinfo for the 24 hours plus any extra time if the game goes on to the next day where I live.

Just watching the match itself is intensifying. Your frightened to watch while Ashraful or Tamim have the bat in their hands, or Rubel/Shahadat steaming in with their pathetic short balls. After it usually ends up as the usual disappointment, I await eagerly for the next encounter, and the cycle begins all over again. Ahh the repetitive life of a Bangladeshi cricket fan.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic boy
I dont know about this T-shirt. enlighten me plz :0
Zeeshan bhai you gotta ruin everything, I was planning on being the first BC member to get that shirt, and here you come rambling on.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
I work extra hard to get the kids in bed and all chores taken care of. Then prepping the better half so that she doesn't sing (ala Bangla): "সে কেন অামার কু__ অাসেনা. .
Ha! Ha!! I do the same ^^. Sometimes I have to buy something "she" like to ...her.
Old January 11, 2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

For me, I go through the painful process of playing hide and seek with myself. I have observed that whenever I do not care about Bangladesh cricket, Bangladesh do well. Therefore when a series approaches, I start to pretend that I do not care what's going on and try to focus hard on my studies and stuff, but despite the best attempt, couldn't stop my heart from being pre-occupied with the thoughts of Bangladesh Cricket. Thus end up visiting BC and CI, reading whatever is there and posting my thoughts.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Eh, I just switch on the TV.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I got it made.
Now she starts nagging, "When will the game start? When will the game start?"

It wasn't like this but I am blessed now.
+++
Middle of the game: "eder diye kissu hobay na (When Tamim gets out)",
"aisey ar ek jon. Ekhoni tuile dibey (Ash's grand entrance)",
"Orey team'a raksey kano? eta ki test match naki? (Rakibul, showing mastery on dot balls)",
"ek matro ei asey bhorosha (Shakib)"
"cheleta besh bhalo kheltasey (Riyad)"
"oreto agey pathano dorkar (naeem)".
etc.
Old January 11, 2010, 12:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I get this happy feeling, which gets strong about a day before the first match. I start playing stick cricket with the opponent of our national team and beat the heck out of them. My prep.
absolutely awesome !
Old January 11, 2010, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I got it made.

Tiger bhai, Canadian ladies rock! I'm happy fer ya eh!
Old January 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Lol some really funny posts on here. Especially ATMR, billah, zobair, cricket_king BD Shardul and Siraji.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:06 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I got it made.

+++
Middle of the game: "eder diye kissu hobay na (When Tamim gets out)",
"aisey ar ek jon. Ekhoni tuile dibey (Ash's grand entrance)",
"Orey team'a raksey kano? eta ki test match naki? (Rakibul, showing mastery on dot balls)",
"ek matro ei asey bhorosha (Shakib)"
"cheleta besh bhalo kheltasey (Riyad)"
"oreto agey pathano dorkar (naeem)".
etc.
Oh man, my mom is the same. I was shocked to find out that my mom knew who Shakib was the other day.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Generally, i wake up in the morning and check who won (the 'check' will be usually after the time that i am sure the match would've been over).

If India has won, it's time to surf the web, read cricinfo commentory, fan views on forums, watch highlights and make sure i have absorbed the whole game. Total time spent is generally 2+ hours!

If the team has lost, i'll take a cursory look at the scorecard to see who scored and who did not, who bowled well and who did not (from both sides) and get to my daily chores. Even this much is optional. Total time spent is generally under 5 minutes.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Prepping for the big game

I prep for the pee and the poop in advance so that I don;t have to run for the toilet at the wrong time.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ami computer-er shamne ghapti mere chokh boro boro kore cheye daate daat khiche boshe thaki! Ebong prochoor galigalaj korar jonno ebong invisible imaginery chor thappor, thu thu etc. maraar jonno mentally prepared hoi!