facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 2, 2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Slysaint
Default Overrated

I am not sure if i am posting in the right forum, if i am not my apologies, and mod kindly move it to the proper forum

---------------

after reading a lot of threads here, i have come to know height of a person is crucial for success, infact even on tv a lot of comentators talk about the height of bangladesh batsmen as they arent that tall, after further study i found out that height is over rated, infact most of the greats in cricket arent that tall at all

Bradman :- 5'7
Sunil gavaskar 5'5 (i have seen him and he is no way 5'5, if he is 5'5 i am atleast 6'3 i towered him, where as i am just barely over 6 and he barely reached my chest)
Brian Lara :- 5'8
tendulkar :- 5.05 ft (once again no way)

all height figures i got from cricinfo

Old July 2, 2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

I never thought height is a significant factor
Old July 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Height comes into play by producing a litt bounce on the pitch, but is not needed Malinga, Fidel Edwards, Vaas are all good bowlers and can produce enough bounce, despite them being around 5' 8

He are the heights of our bowlers,

Shahadat Hossain 6' 4
Mashrafee Mortaza 6' 2
Abdur Razzak 6'
Md. Sharif 5' 6
Md. Rafique 5' 8
Syed Rasel 6' 1/2
Saqib 5' 11
Enamul Haque (not sure I think 5' 10)

So really where height has a slight advantage, most of our bowlers have that height.
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

For the bowlers, in many cases height is an advantage. For batsman like Bradman, and Gavaskar would have a difficult time than they faced in their time. They would still dominate though. Nowadays, batsman like Haydous, Gilchrist, Symond puts fear on opponent bowling because of their size. The tree trunk like thighs and arms should be enough to push the panic button (SA, #2 team in the World, does that all the time).
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
I never thought that as a significant factor
a lot of ppl do, infact if i remember correctly another not so tall infact shorty tv commentator Sanjay Manjrekar, said exactly that "bangladesh batsmen arent that tall" when sakib got out i think against south africa
Old July 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
Height comes into play by producing a litt bounce on the pitch, but is not needed Malinga, Fidel Edwards, Vaas are all good bowlers and can produce enough bounce, despite them being around 5' 8

He are the heights of our bowlers,

Shahadat Hossain 6' 4
Mashrafee Mortaza 6' 2
Abdur Razzak 6'
Md. Sharif 5' 6
Md. Rafique 5' 8
Syed Rasel 6' 1/2
Saqib 5' 11
Enamul Haque (not sure I think 5' 10)

So really where height has a slight advantage, most of our bowlers have that height.
forgive me but i am quite certain sakib is not 5'11 infact he would be hard pressed to reach double figures after 5 feet. even tv comentators said such ..

and like you said .. there are a lot of short bowlers who are generating a lot of bounce and pace even though they are short
Old July 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysaint
a lot of ppl do, infact if i remember correctly another not so tall infact shorty tv commentator Sanjay Manjrekar, said exactly that "bangladesh batsmen arent that tall" when sakib got out i think against south africa
Sanjay is very annoying, he was making a big deal of how 'aftab is such a small man, who 5' 2 at the most', when infact he is 5' 5. And he belittles ashraful by saying 'well here is the small man'.

Sanjay would never dare say that to Tendy.
Old July 2, 2007, 03:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
forgive me but i am quite certain sakib is not 5'11 infact he would be hard pressed to reach double figures after 5 feet. even tv comentators said such ..
Oh here we go again, Saqib is infact tall, he never stands up straight properly, trust me Ive seen him in person.

he always slouches a lot even when you're talking to him

Even when he slouched you can see that he is tall

Old July 2, 2007, 03:20 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

exactly, I got confused hearing his comment on aftabs height

in fact, I dont care about subcontinental commentators
Quote:
Sanjay is very annoying, he was making a big deal of how 'aftab is such a small man, who 5' 2 at the most', when infact he is 5' 5. And he belittles ashraful by saying 'well here is the small man'.

Old July 2, 2007, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

For the fast bowlers the height matters quite a bit to trouble batsman with high sharp bouncers.

Even for the batsman, height helps to play those high rising deliveries as for shorter players those balls are close to their neck and they have to reach up high to play shots on those balls, while the taller players get those same balls close to their chest, which they can play more freely and belt out of the ground as shown by Hayden and co. in the world cup.
Old July 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh here we go again, Saqib is infact tall, he never stands up straight properly, trust me Ive seen him in person.

he always slouches a lot even when you're talking to him

Even when he slouched you can see that he is tall

dont get me wrong, i have seen dav, he is short and pudgy, sakib too, if he is 5'11 i shouldnt be able to tower him, which i easily did and i am not that tall
Old July 2, 2007, 03:24 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

dude Saqib is fricken tall man. He is almost 6. just look at the fricken pic for christ's sake!!!!!!!!!
Old July 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

What's Dav's height? Sakib is 2/3 inches taller than Dav.

And as for Sanjay and all those junk commentators go, let them make their day's bread through bs. Those people are only worth 2 cents, and that's why they're there in every match played by you know who.
Old July 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
exactly, I got confused hearing his comment on aftabs height

in fact, I dont care about subcontinental commentators
well shiva rama is quite good .. he is fair and often speaks positively about bangladesh. but you are right most of them are as moronic as rameez raja's hair (someone should tell that man, 80's passed us by a long time ago and its womanly to be fixated with hair)
Old July 2, 2007, 03:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Now you're calling dav short? He is average height of man from a MEDC which is 5' 9
Old July 2, 2007, 03:27 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
dont get me wrong, i have seen dav, he is short and pudgy, sakib too, if he is 5'11 i shouldnt be able to tower him, which i easily did and i am not that tall
bull crap. saqib is 5 11 for sure.
Old July 2, 2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
dude Saqib is fricken tall man. He is almost 6. just look at the fricken pic for christ's sake!!!!!!!!!
pics can be decieving, i should know photography is a hobby of mine.

if u dont believe me, check south africa and bangladesh game, u will see what the comentators said about sakibs height ..

but my point is height is not a factor, great modern day bowlers arent tall, and most all time great bastmen arent tall either ..
Old July 2, 2007, 03:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Wow, Sakib looks pretty tall in that pic. But I wonder how tall Whatmore is so we can compare his height with Saqib.
Old July 2, 2007, 03:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_omar
Wow, Sakib looks pretty tall in that pic. But I wonder how tall Whatmore is so we can compare his height with Saqib.
Dav is typical 5' 9

Quote:
if u dont believe me, check south africa and bangladesh game, u will see what the comentators said about sakibs height ..
They didnt say anything about sakib's height, I watched every ball of that match
Old July 2, 2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_omar
probably 5'6 or 5'7, when i saw him, he was the same height as a cousin of mine
Old July 2, 2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
They didnt say anything about sakib's height, I watched every ball of that match
i saw the match again yesterday, hence i am 100% sure that was said
Old July 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Tamim's 5' 11" if I'm not wrong. Sakib is similar height as Tamim.
Old July 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

Coming to the point of discussion, height is no big deal for a batsman where as for fast bowlers, height definitely is an advantage. Well if we do take the majority case sitns(leave the exceptions), the successful fast bowlers are tall and good batsmen are not so tall.

Quote:

Well Tendu is called the 'little' master, doesn't mean he is not a great master, just a 'little' master . Take things in perspective, i am sure he wasnt demeaning Ash or Aftab.

cheers !
Padosan
Old July 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Well,, Height doesnt matter much if u have the skills and Tendulkar/Gavaskar/Marshall/Ricky Pointing/ proved that already. For Saqib's height, he is much taller than what S. Manjrekar thought. He thought of Mushfiq/Tamim/Ashraful/Aftab like players and ignored the taller ones of Mashrafee/Shahadat/Rasel/Sakib/etc. Saqib is 5-10 or 5-11 ish. Just watch the WC games and you will see him when he stands against Dhoni/Other South African players.... nevertheless, thinking of him being 5'6'' makes Gagaskar 4'5''...
Old July 2, 2007, 03:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
Well,, Height doesnt matter much if u have the skills and Tendulkar/Gavaskar/Marshall/Ricky Pointing/ proved that already. For Saqib's height, he is much taller than what S. Manjrekar thought. He thought of Mushfiq/Tamim/Ashraful/Aftab like players and ignored the taller ones of Mashrafee/Shahadat/Rasel/Sakib/etc. Saqib is 5-10 or 5-11 ish. Just watch the WC games and you will see him when he stands against Dhoni/Other South African players.... nevertheless, thinking of him being 5'6'' makes Gagaskar 4'5''...
Ricky ponting is not short, he only looks short because australian cricket are all quite tall. Ricky Ponting is 5'10, which is funnily enough the same as Rahul Dravid, you'd never have guessed that huh

PS Tamim is 5ft 10-11 ish