facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 15, 2013, 12:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Frustrating. Lost 2 two test matches which were winnable. What probably differentiates the two teams is character. English players want to win, they want to fight. The grit is there. See how well Ian Bell has played throughout the series.

Time to question positions of a few players. Smith might have talent but should he be in the test XI? Has an average just a touch over 40 in first class and less than 30 in eleven tests. Hard to imagine someone of Watsons calibre only averages 34 in tests.

Rogers has done well. Perhaps he should have been brought in a few years back. Not impressed with Khawaja at all. But then again Australia picking a batsman who only averages 40 in FC shows the lack of depth they have.

In the days of Waugh, even an average of 50-55 wasnt enough to be guaranteed a spot

Old August 15, 2013, 01:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Frustrating. Lost 2 two test matches which were winnable. What probably differentiates the two teams is character. English players want to win, they want to fight. The grit is there. See how well Ian Bell has played throughout the series.

Time to question positions of a few players. Smith might have talent but should he be in the test XI? Has an average just a touch over 40 in first class and less than 30 in eleven tests. Hard to imagine someone of Watsons calibre only averages 34 in tests.

Rogers has done well. Perhaps he should have been brought in a few years back. Not impressed with Khawaja at all. But then again Australia picking a batsman who only averages 40 in FC shows the lack of depth they have.

In the days of Waugh, even an average of 50-55 wasnt enough to be guaranteed a spot
we don't have any batsmen who average 50 that's why, these are the most consistent batsmen we have atm. smith is actually one aussie player who i think has more fight than others. as far as bringing in rogers a few years back, well at the time hughes was averaging 60 in FC cricket so he was understandably transitioned straight into that opener spot, unfortunately he hasn't worked out but when hughes failed that's when rogers should have come in and they never did that.

i'm leaning more and more towards cosgrove being brought in for the #3 spot, i think we have good openers in rogers and warner, we have a good #5 in clarke, the #3, #4 and #6 spots are the ones up for grabs. cosgrove has been a good #3 for many years i think a big reason he's not been selected is because of his weight problem which obviously affects running between the wickets and fielding, he doesn't average much more than others (if any) but he's been doing it for longer.

i keep saying bring dussey in for #4 spot but i'm always hesitant when saying that to because i think he's past it a little bit which is a bit unfortunate for him as if he were to come in now his test record at the end of his career probably wouldn't truly reflect his class but i still think he'd be better than anyone else we've got atm.
Old August 15, 2013, 05:05 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Nannes wrote a good article explaining Australia's current situation. He basically blamed Greg Chappel for altering the system of FC cricket putting more emphasis on youth over experience. He said that while there were plenty of reserves during the golden era who could come and fill in if somebody like Hayden got injured... this over glorification of youth made clubs phase out older and more experienced cricketers from the FC cricket system. Hence now somebody like Steven Smith can walk into an Aussie Test team instead of an experienced bloke who has made thousands of runs in FC cricket
Old August 15, 2013, 05:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Nannes wrote a good article explaining Australia's current situation. He basically blamed Greg Chappel for altering the system of FC cricket putting more emphasis on youth over experience. He said that while there were plenty of reserves during the golden era who could come and fill in if somebody like Hayden got injured... this over glorification of youth made clubs phase out older and more experienced cricketers from the FC cricket system. Hence now somebody like Steven Smith can walk into an Aussie Test team instead of an experienced bloke who has made thousands of runs in FC cricket
this is true!