facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: The Siddons era: 2010 vs 2009 vs 2008
In line with expectations and heading in the right direction 15 53.57%
One step fwd (individual) and 2 setps back (as a team) 7 25.00%
The more things change, the more they stay the same 5 17.86%
Other (state why) 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8, 2010, 12:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib
Default 2010 vs. 2009 vs. 2008 : The Siddons Era

(can somebody instruct me on how to create the poll ? )

Lately there is so much flying around about if 2010 is a step in the right direction for BD or if its been a dismal failure. Here are the facts to review and decide if we are:

(A) In line with expectations and heading in the right direction
(B) One step fwd (individual) and 2 setps back (as a team)
(C) The more things change, the more they stay the same
(D) Don't believe in opinions, either support the team blindly with your mouth shut or stop following cricket altogether
(E) I'm done, I'm over Bangladesh cricket....until the next match which I'll still watch/follow with the hope that we can still win

Test

2008 (0-1-7) : 2 one sided losses to NZ in NZ (9w & inn + 137 runs). A 161 run opening stand by Tamim & Junaid in the first test. A home series with SA showed a close 1st Test where BD secured a 1st innings lead only to lose by 5 wickets. The 2nd test was a blowout (inn + 205runs) with SA building an opening 415 run partnership. A home return series in BD saw NZ barely escape with a 3 wicket win almost single handedly by Vettori while the 2nd test was drawn after losing 3 days to rain. BD went for the return SA series in SA and lost both by an innings (inn + 129 and inn + 148). The year ended with an almost historic ending when BD lost to SL by 107 runs chasing a 500+ target in the 4th innings.

2009 (2-0-1): BD played only three tests. The inspiring 1st test vs. SL was followed up with a poor 465 run loss to SL. The year ended in triumph with a historical 2-0 (95 runs & 4 wkts) sweep of WI in the Caribbean. It should be noted that this was not a full strength WI team due to a players strike even though a decent number of the players are now part of the West Indian team composition. 2W-1L

2010 (0-0-3) : A home test series against India that became more about Sehwag’s ‘ordinary’ comment than anything else. The first test showed promise with a 1 run deficit in the 1st innings which could have been so much more if not for dropped catches of Tendulkar. In the end, a 2nd innings declaration and a 113 run loss that never ended up looking threatening. The 2nd test was a narrow inning defeat avoider which turned out to be a 10 wicket loss despite a 151 from Tamim. A one off test in NZ was another opportunity squandered after having NZ on the hook for 5/158, a 339 partnership by McCullum and Guptil saw NZ home in a 121 run win. Although a victory was possible, the threat was never really there. A home series with ENG starts later this week. 3L

ODI

2008 (5-21, 1a) : A home ODI series to SA ended in big margin losses (9w, 7w, 7w) with BD failing to break 200 once. The 2nd match was competitive in the sense that SA had to bat till the 49th over for victory. A 3-0 drubbing of Ireland followed avenging the 2007 WC loss (8w, 84r, 79r). The Pakistan visit was a 5-0 affair (152r, 7w, 23r, 7w, 150r). The 3rd ODI was an valiant 285/8 chasing 308 but the pacing of the innings wasn’t really threatening enough. Two more defeats to PAK (70) and IND (7w) followed at the Kitply cup. The Asia Cup was followed with a win over UAE (96 runs) and one sided defeats to SL (131r), IND (7w), SL again (158 runs), and PAK (10w). AUS joined in with a 3-0 win (180r, 8w, 73r). A major win came with NZ at home (7w) enabling BD to eye a series win, but the last two matches saw BD give up on-top positions (5-86, 2-13) to end up losing big (75r, 79r). The last ODI in 2008 vs. SA was abandoned but SA had already taken the first two convincingly (61r, 128r).

2009 (14-5) : A tri-series involving ZIM and SL got off to a horrible loss to ZIM (38r) to be followed by an impressive defeat of SL (5w) with bonus points and a heartbreaking loss to SL in the finals (2w) after being on top almost the entire match. ZIM put another scare in a by winning the 1st match of a 3 match series (2w) with BD fighting back in matches 2 & 3 (6w, 6w) to save face. The next series was an historic yet asterisked series vs. WI in a whitewash of 3-0 against an under strength WI squad (52r, 3w, 3w). The next series against ZIM in ZIM saw a lot of individual glory and team records being set in a 4-1* win (8w, 49r, 69r*, 4w, 5w). Another 5 matches vs. ZIM at home finished off the year. ZIM took the first game (5w) to shock BD who won the series comfortably at the end 4-1* ( 7w, 4w, 6w, 1w) although the 6w win came chasing 44 while the 1w win took some magic from Naeem to bat with the tailenders for the win.

2010 (0-10) : A tri-series with 4 losses to SL (7w, 9w) and IND (6w, 6w) where the totals ranged from 245 to 299 and despite having early wickets never really a threat to win. NZ followed a 3-0 (146r, 5w, 3w) with BD blowing an upper hand in game one (5-135), saving embarrassment in game 2 to post a somewhat respectable total and failing to clean up the tail after dropping 7 wickets with 30+ runs still remaining. ENG came to BD with a depleted squad but ran off with the series (6w, 2w, 45r). The 2nd game seemed like an easy win till Shakib made it interesting with some late wickets. The last two matches had questionable decisions that could have swung a W for BD. It should be noted that the umpiring was poor all through the series for both teams, although BD paid a higher price for them.

T20

2008 (0-2) : BD played a T20 against Pakistan where there were they were completely outclassed by 102 runs. All out in 16 overs for 101 chasing 203. The other T20I vs. South Africa was far more competitive. BD had SA 118/7 in 14 when rain interrupted and were left to make 122 in 14 with the D/L method. They came 12 runs short. Not enough T20I for the year but a lousy start and a promising finish.

2009 (0-3): A miserable year for T20I. With no matches played before the WC, BD crashed out of the first round after losing to IND by 25 runs and IRE by 6 wickets. The year finished off with another lopsided 5 wicket defeat to a WI squad recently whitewashed in a Test and ODI series.

2010 (0-1): After scheduling no matches before the 2009 WC was not the smartest thing the BD team had one T20 in 2010 on its schedule before this year’s world cup. That was a miserable failure as NZ restricted BD to its lowest total (78) and romped to a 10 wicket win thanks to a couple dropped catches.

Old March 8, 2010, 12:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Overall, 2010 to date to date is a failure for me. Until we get back to back significant wins and start doing so at more than once a year rate, I can’t acknowledge that we are progressing at a rate that we are capable of.

In Tests, the fighting spirit against SL (1st test in 2008) and the series win vs. WI (albeit a second hand squad), BD should have pushed IND and NZ further in their tests. After defending their honor to Shewag’s ‘ordinary’ comments in the 1st innings of the test, the rest of the year was just a backward step as a team. There were individual successes but very few as a team. The only notable success was Shakib and Mahmadullah’s partnership to avoid follow-on and the potential of what might have been had the caught behind been challenged. Although a victory against ENG will be seen as a great upset, it will be against a bowling attack that is missing Anderson, Sidebottom and possibly Broad & Onions. The batting attack is also Strauss. Even if the English batsmen defeat us, any collapse by the BD batting line up will have to be considered an embarrassment.

In ODI, following the NZ ODI home series to the tri series win and near win vs. SL, BD was expected to show new teeth as favorites over WI and ZIM. They did but there were still some hiccups which at that time I guess got covered under the win to be raised or addressed as concerns. Still struggling for win #1 this year especially with an under strength ENG at home has to be concerning. Sure, the umpiring decisions played a role but ENG had some bad calls there way as well and at the end of the day all that will hit the books is the Win or Loss. Putting the umpiring aside, we SHOULD have comfortably won 2-1 given the ENG team composition and fair expectations that could have been placed on our shoulders after our 2009 record especially at home.

In T20, its obvious that the think tanks don’t care. The board, the selectors, the Coach, the captain (both Ash & Shakib). There was no matches scheduled to prepare for the WC even though the rest of the world was prepping through the IPL. An embarrassing loss to IRE cost Ash his captaincy but changed little else. This year again there is only one match leading up to the WC which was an atrocious failure. Even an embarrassed WI team wiped the floor with us when the opportunity arose in this format.
Old March 8, 2010, 12:16 PM
Cricket Sage

i like this thread, but perhaps we should wait till the 2011 world cup is over. then the siddon era will be over, and we will know where we stand as a team.
Old March 8, 2010, 12:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

JS has done great job with our batsmen.
Old March 8, 2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
(can somebody instruct me on how to create the poll ? )
There's an "Add a poll to the thread" (or something along those lines) option when you open a new thread. Might be too late now, so just let me know the text you want as the poll question and I'll add the options in for you.
Old March 8, 2010, 01:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
There's an "Add a poll to the thread" (or something along those lines) option when you open a new thread. Might be too late now, so just let me know the text you want as the poll question and I'll add the options in for you.
These are the five options:

(A) In line with expectations and heading in the right direction
(B) One step fwd (individual) and 2 setps back (as a team)
(C) The more things change, the more they stay the same
(D) Other (state why)
Old March 8, 2010, 01:55 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Would you be able to post our average ODI score in those years and the number of 50s and 100s in those years as well.
Old March 8, 2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

যেই লাউ সেই কদু। আগে ম্যাচ জিতুক। তাহলে ব-লা যাবে change হইছে।
Old March 8, 2010, 02:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Would you be able to post our average ODI score in those years and the number of 50s and 100s in those years as well.

For 2010 :

Avg. RR 4.79 which puts our average score of 239. (opponents IND, SL, NZ, ENG)

Avg. RR 5.83 against us which puts the opponents score at 291.5

We have 2 centuries at 0.2 per match and 10 half centuries at 1.0 per match.

For 2009 :

Avg. RR 4.71 which is avg. score of 236. (opponents ZIM, WI, SL (against them its 4.1/205 vs. 3.79/189)

Avg. RR 4.17 which is avg. score of 209 against us.

4 centuries at 0.21 per match and 18 half centuries at 0.95 per match)

For 2008

opponents : NZ (3), SA (5), AUS (3), PAK (7), IND (2), SL (2), IRE (3), UAE (1)

Avg. RR for 3.93 or 197 per innings.

Opponent RR 5.25 or 263 per innings.

4 centuries at 0.15 per match and 22 half centuries at 0.84 per match

Last edited by Raynman; March 8, 2010 at 03:45 PM..
Old March 9, 2010, 03:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Despite some bumpy journey i think we are in right track.I think we were well ahead than now if there were no ICL.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 9, 2010, 04:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

JS is not one of the greatest strategicians. This is the main problem. Other than that the team is on the right track.
Old March 9, 2010, 04:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

2008, 2009, 2010......no change.

-Tamim and Sakib has gained some experience and become a bit consistent.
- Overall, batting improved a bit. Again Sakib and Tamim has lot to do with it.

Other than this, what is the change and improvement? Same old results and "ShommanJonok Porajoy".
Old March 9, 2010, 04:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

I would like to wait another year[WC 11] before giving the verdict on JS's performance.
But till now he looks like the right man, the recent NZ tour was the perfect example how our batsmen have improved under him. In any previous NZ tour our batsmen spent more time jumping and dancing than playing shots. This time around our batters looked much more comfortable against the bounce of the kiwi bowlers. Though pace bowling dept. remains a concern. I can see this team going some distance in the WC.
Old March 9, 2010, 04:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
I can see this team going some distance in the WC.
I have become a bit pessimist about the WC

England is the weakest ODI side in sub-continent condition out of G8 teams. What we did with that team with some key players missing on their side? In WC they will not be without Flintoff, Anderson, Strauss.

Unless anything special happens, I am keeping my hopes low for the WC. There is only one season left for the WC.
Old March 9, 2010, 05:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
For 2010 :

Avg. RR 4.79 which puts our average score of 239. (opponents IND, SL, NZ, ENG)
Avg. RR 5.83 against us which puts the opponents score at 291.5

For 2008

Avg. RR for 3.93 or 197 per innings.
Opponent RR 5.25 or 263 per innings.
It is another proof that we have not improved practically.

The improvement shown from 2008 to 2010 in our average score is the result of changes and evolution of ODI cricket. We are still around 50 runs behind compare to our opponents.
Old March 9, 2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
It is another proof that we have not improved practically.

The improvement shown from 2008 to 2010 in our average score is the result of changes and evolution of ODI cricket. We are still around 50 runs behind compare to our opponents.
Yes, that's what I thought too and now we have the numbers to prove it.
Old March 9, 2010, 10:52 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib, SN, Tamim

Let me guess, the team is degrading. All right, in 2008, our team was way too inexperienced, several players have joined ICL, no Bashar, Rafique, SN, Aftab, Masud, etc. In 2009, we played understrenghted WI and a non test playing Zimbabwe. In this year we have lost all the matches to date. We have lost the only t20, the three test, the ten odi's. What more? Is this improvement? Total failure, I believed we played better in 2005-2007 in the likes of HB, MR, SN, AA, MA, AR.
Old March 9, 2010, 11:03 AM
Cricket Legend

My fear with Siddons is that we are focusing on batting and nothing else.

The team is selected based on batting skills, even wicket keepers and bowlers (Naeem and Riyad are the 5th bowler as a batsman who can also bowl).

The keeping, fielding is as bad as its ever been and there is no team strategy. Even the batting is only focused on individual scores and not partnerships. The running between the wickets and strike rotation is poor.

Captaincy is at a loss with no idea on how to bowl to opponents, how to change the batting line up per situation or how to use powerplays.

There is no denying that 2010 are below par compared to growth expectations from 2008. Expectations for 2009 maybe skewed due to the lack of quality in opponents.

I know Siddons lovers will show our next victory (when it may be) as the proof of improvement but we really should have more to show by now than some one off individual performances (and to be honest, most of them have been non-threatening to the outcome of the game for the opponents to even care).