facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default The remix versions of Tagore songs

I recently came across some remix versions of Rabindrasangeet a decade after the expiry of copyright that brought Tagore out of the Visva-Bharati's domain. It is wrong to say that the younger generation is averse to Tagore songs. I know the purists will not like it but Rabindrasangeet will evolve in its own way whether we like it or not. Here are some remix versions:

Last edited by reverse_swing; February 26, 2012 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: added more

Old February 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

very nice but aro bhalo korte hobe...Still vocal dominant

out of all the songs above, "mayabono biharini" is my favorite so far but I would like to get a "club type" remix on this.. any dj on this site up for the challenge?
Old February 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
Administrator

I came across "mayabono biharini" just a few days ago and was quite enamored.

^ Agree about vocal dominance. Well, I think they are all treading with light feet for now.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

These remixes/remakes are well done, and they are definitely easy to the ear and not rough at all, which is what I think ends up happening with a lot of these types of remixes.

I really liked "Mayabono Biharini" and "Jagorone Jae Bibhabori". "Aaji jhoro jhoro mukhoro" would've been awesome had the singing been better - music arrangement was great though.
Old February 26, 2012, 01:03 AM
Cricket Savant

is it me who keeps on thinking mayanono biriani or wat????
Old February 26, 2012, 01:21 AM
Cricket Legend

ami bedroom movier onno gaan shunar jonno youtube e search korlam - kintu eishob ki result ashche amar life e chinta kori nai youtube e thakbe.. lol.. chi chi.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
I recently came across some remix versions of Rabindrasangeet a decade after the expiry of copyright that brought Tagore out of the Visva-Bharati's domain. It is wrong to say that the younger generation is averse to Tagore songs. I know the purists will not like it but Rabindrasangeet will evolve in its own way whether we like it or not. Here are some remix versions:
reverse_swing, thanks for posting these. I do agree with you that Rabindra Sangeet will gradually evolve. I would also suggest that those of us who are attached to Rabindra Sangeet generally have certain subjective ideal versions of individual songs (more specifically, particular singers associated with specific songs -- for instance, one of my preferred singers for Rabindra Sangeet was Debabrata Biswas, who now seems to be considered quite orthodox, but whose alterations of tempo, tune-notations and scansion as well as introduction of Western instruments was, at the time, considered quite unorthodox). In fact, those of you who have heard recordings of Rabindranath himself singing his own songs might understand why I prefer different renditions.

I suppose one of my questions here is whether these versions represent what is popular as Rabindra Sangeet among the younger generation. To me, it seems that most of the songs still maintain the original melody, with the tempo being slightly accelerated and the musical accompaniment being considerably more pronounced. Which brings me to Ophy's point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
very nice but aro bhalo korte hobe...Still vocal dominant
Please keep in mind that I am speaking subjectively. I suppose one of the things I appreciate about Rabindra Sangeet is the vocal dominance of the singer (yes, yes, I am unduly biased by our classical tradition that the voice is the purest instrument). I want to hear the singer's control of pronunciation and melody, his/her range, and how well he/she can infuse these lines with the appropriate emotion. The musical accompaniment is there to fill in the gaps when he/she isn't singing, and to serve as harmony when he/she is. As such, I personally, don't want the music itself to be the star, or to be overpowering and sometimes drowning the vocal component. While that is not necessarily the case in these songs, my subjective impression is that there is an inclination towards that goal. And again, I personally would not like that.
Old February 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
Cricket Legend

i just listened to them again briefly after reading shaads post; except for the song of bedroom, these remake are quiet poorly done actually.

for tagore i guess it is the vocal that matters the most. its like Quran recitation, not all qaari can bring emotions in you.

having said that good instrumentaion can bring some of these songs to newer heights.

I will write more later, gotta go.
Old February 28, 2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
i just listened to them again briefly after reading shaads post; except for the song of bedroom, these remake are quiet poorly done actually.
Agreed. Apart from Mayabono Biharini, i cant seem to find any of the other songs to be particularly good. Aji jhoro jhoro was particularly bad.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Even before I read any of the comments in this thread, I went straight for the "Mayabono Biharini" one (skipping the others), because:

1) As soon as I read the title of the clip, I thought: "Hmm, that could actually be done well as a soft rock/pop song..."
2) Second thought, on looking at the still frame: "Chick band all dressed in black? They must have done it that way then..."

Though, have to say... it reminds me of this:

Old February 29, 2012, 03:12 AM

^^^ I facebooked the singer. she is sooo not emo in her profile. was a real downer. I was expecting a bad *** goth chick!
Old March 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

by Arnob

by BLACK
Old March 12, 2013, 08:22 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
for tagore i guess it is the vocal that matters the most. its like Quran recitation, not all qaari can bring emotions in you.

having said that good instrumentaion can bring some of these songs to newer heights.
As the audience changes, tastes change too. If a singer were to sing Rabindrasangeet with only harmonium for accompaniment, no one will listen today. As you said, it is the vocal that matters like this one:

I was looking for some instrumental versions of Tagore songs and found this one on Youtube:

Youtube channel link: http://www.youtube.com/user/markdrozario10

Old March 12, 2013, 08:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Some of them are quite good. I like it as long as they keep the tune intact. It is ok to use modern instruments.

I dont see ooo la la.. ooo la la.. pagla haowar badol dine by Shreya and Anjon Dutt on your list.

PS: Majhe majhe tobo dekha pai... by Arnob is absolutely awesome. No one can sing this song any better and I wouldn't consider this as a remix!
Old March 12, 2013, 09:09 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Uk band's version of our anthem should be here as well, need to find it.

Edit found it:

Loved it.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Uk band's version of our anthem should be here as well, need to find it.

This?
Old March 12, 2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

^^^^ yes, couldn't remember the name; looks like YouTube is a good search engine
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old March 13, 2013, 01:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Old March 13, 2013, 02:58 PM
Chief Moderator

Old March 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
Cricket Legend

i think reverse swing bhai is in love. nobody listens to tagore songs like that unless they are either in love or heartbroken....

"amaro porano jaha chai" has some crazy lyrics if u actually pay attention to it.... ei gaan shunle to jekono bangalee maiya shari khula shuru korbo.