facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 5, 2014, 10:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default The Bet: Where is Windiefan?

Several days since we've been referred to as "tiger friends"...where is our perenially-disgruntled-about-the-Windies-selection buddy?

As I type this WI are 264-3 after Day 1 of the first Test...

Anyways a couple of years ago we were trash talking and I remember him saying something along of the likes of Bangladesh not being able to compete with a spin based attack. This was right after Tino Best blasted us out on the 5th day robbing us of our best chance of a Test win - and an even easier shot at drawing. I never disagreed re: the utility of pace vs spin, but did point out that the Windies, even with their "pace like fyah" battery don't really compete either. I told him that if and when WI start competing in overseas Tests against the established sides to let me know and I would happily eat my own words. I can't remember the exact thread, and I'm not even sure if he responded to it, but I told him we could come back in 10 years and see where WI and BD stand, respectively.

Fast forward a bit and here we are, just 2 years removed. I'm a good sport and I'm willing to put my EC dollars where my mouth is.

So since that 2-0 loss to the WI at home in 2012 here is how things stand for our "spin based" team:

0-1 from 2 Tests in SL
1-1 from 2 Tests in ZIM (pace based attack)
0-0 from 2 Tests vs NZ (pace based attack)
0-1 from 2 Tests vs SL

We've gone on to earn 4 draws since effing up against Best and Co, against higher ranked teams than the WI. One of them was even overseas.

Here's how WI have done...

2-0 from 2 Tests vs ZIM
0-2 from 2 Tests in IND
0-2 from 3 Tests in NZ
1-2 from 3 Tests vs NZ

Just as I predicted not a single overseas win against a top 8 side, even with a pace-centric attack.

As for this series goes, anything less than a 2-0 win against BD (0-1, 0-0) will be a huge failure for WI, given that Bangladesh are so battered we make Nicole Simpson's autopsy report look normal. Plus WI have 3 geniune quicks in the side in Roach, Taylor, and Cotterell. Will be an excellent examination for the likes of Mominul, Mushfiq, and Nasir (we already know Tamim can dominate pace attacks in English conditions). If we bloody some Windian noses, no excuses this time please.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old September 6, 2014, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Big congrats to windiefan. He's managed to become a key figure on banglacricket forum; so much so that there's a whole thread dedicated to refuting his claims. This has easily been one of the most successful troll conquests of all time.
Old September 6, 2014, 12:57 AM
Cricket Sage

He's not a troll. Just a fan who loves a bit of trash talking.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 8, 2014, 07:46 AM
First Class Cricketer

HERE I AM TIGER FRIENDS!!!

Well al Furqaan i don't really remember "the bet", but let me address the results you listed since we won the series in BD.

1. The india series

Well that was Tendy's last series right? on our part it was a total farce...it was put together at the last minute and we didn't have any good preperation at all. We were also still being held back by the ridiculous selectors and coach who insisted on keeping Sammy as captain, thus we couldn't play two spinners without dropping a batsman or a pacer...therefore we were always behind the eight ball in that series and rightfully got well beaten.

2. NZ away

Then with our confidence at an all time low the selectors decided to make zero changes to the embarrassment that occured in India ...and to add further salt to the wound Shillingford had been called by the umpire in india. That series started off poorly too as the majority of our guys had NO warm up matches..so we were stuck with perhaps the worst attack i've seen in my lifetime which was best, sammy, gabriel and shillingford. It was very poor stuff..plus Kraigg had been delayed due a visa problem..so with Gayle being injured aswell we had to open with Edwards and Powell...DISASTER.

3. NZ home

So we get home after that series and all the news was about Darren Bravo leaving the tour early because of a bust up with Sammy..so there was big unrest in the camp and as a result Sammy got fired. It was seen as a "fresh start" but the same selectors and coach were still there!!..the series started off on a bad note for us with Narine being suspended due to playing in the IPL final and we were under prepared YET AGAIN for the first test which we lost badly. 2nd test comes along and we finally got it right with the balance of the team and trounced them by 10 wickets...but just as we thought things were looking up what happens? the selectors and coach go and change a winning team and play the 3rd test with a batsman short..so despite getting an first innings lead we ended up losing the match and thus the series

Since then the selectors have been sacked and so has the coach...as for the "spin"...well, we've seen in the tigers first innings that our spin is doing just fine thank you .

Our next four series are India, SA, Eng and Australia...so we'll what happens..i've got a feeling the mighty windies will upset a few of them .

Last edited by WindieFan; September 8, 2014 at 04:21 PM..
Old September 8, 2014, 12:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Porterfield,Mushy,Rogers

Man I expected Bangladesh to give the Windies a decent game...
Old September 8, 2014, 12:32 PM
Cricket Sage

He's back!

I have to say well played, but to borrow your line lots wrong with this BD side:

1) Shakib out, best bowler, 2nd best batsman...proven clutch player.

2) Mushy, the best bat at #6 instead of 3.

3) Mushy's terrible wicket keeping

4) dead weight in Imrul, Shamsur, and Riyad. Anamul and Shakib would easily replace them.

5) dead weight with Rubel. We have several seamers who could better his 85 avg and concede fewer runs. Robiul, Shafiul, Nazmul could at least accidentally get some batsmen out. Not even mentioning Taskin whose pace and carry troubled Ramdin in the lone ODI.

I didn't mention mushy captaincy because it seems his game plan to draw by refusing to dismiss teams. He wants WI to pile 600 and declare.

#OneTeam1Dream