facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib
Default If I ran ICC

If I ran the ICC, this is how I would restructure the international schedule and address some key items:

T20:

• Focus on globalization via this format
• Try to make this an Olympic sport
• Look into commercial expansions into untapped nations such as USA and China
• Divide the world into 3 zones (Asia, North & South) for regional tournaments
• World Cup to be held every four years
• Olympic format to follow World cup every four year so every even year will either have a T20 WC or Olympic winner

Regions (Based on current rankings the top 10 teams. Special exception to China first time around):

ASIA : India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, UAE, Hong Kong, Oman, Nepal, China

NORTH : England, West Indies, Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland, Canada, Italy, Denmark, Bermuda, USA

SOUTH : Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Namibia, Papua New Guinea, Uganda, Tanzania, Argentina

Year 1 : Regional championships. Top 5 qualify to world cup. If host country is a qualifier then the 6th team from that region also qualifies.
Year 2 : World cup with 16 teams (3x5 qualifiers + host). Non qualifying countries play in separate tournament with lower ranked affiliate nations in their regions to qualify for next years regional tournament.
Year 3 : Repeat of Year 1 with qualifications for Olympics.
Year 4 : Repeat of Year 2 with Olympics replacing World Cup.

Advantages :

• Expansion of the sport
• Additional revenue for ICC for the regional tournaments.
• Exposure of lesser nations to the top teams.
• The showcase of talent from lesser known countries as an audition for domestic T20 leagues
• Limited but predefined scheduling of International schedule. Reduces conflict with domestic leagues

ODI:

Limit official ODI series’ by removing bi-lateral series from FTP. If needed, boards can schedule at their own will as long as it is not in conflict with ICC international schedule.
World Cup to remain every 4 years (odd year 2015, 2019 etc.) with 14 teams. Automatic entry for full status members and qualification for all other nations for 4 spots.

Change WC format to the following:

• 2 groups of 7
• Group winners automatically qualify to Semi Final
• Playoffs between A2 vs. B3 and B2 vs. A3 for the remaining SF spots

In between Odd years (2017, 2021 etc.) an ODI League Title to be introduced:

• Automatic inclusion of full member nations (10)
• Inclusion of next highest 2 ranking associates
• Full league (each team plays each other once)… no playoffs

Test Cricket:

Make the tough choice and limit expansion of this format and preserve as a ‘privileged/historical’ format. Create the following Test tournament structure. Any series out of this (Ashes for example) structure will be per the boards themselves and will not be considered towards the tournament. Some tweaks (DN, jersey [could stay white but with player names at the least and something unique like a colored stripe to distinguish between teams])

Year 1 :
• [Group C] Teams ranked 7,8,9,10 play each other home and away in 2 test series’. (Total of 4 against each other).
• [Group A] Teams ranked 1,3,5 play each other home and away in 3 test series’ (Total of 6 against each other)
• [Group B] Teams ranked 2,4,6 play each other home and away in 3 test series’ (Total of 6 against each other)

Year 2 :

• B1 plays A2 in a home and away series of 4 tests (total 8) as does A1 vs. B2
• Winners play in a 5 test series in a pre-determined host country for the Test crown
• Losers play in home/away 3 test series to determine ranks 3 & 4
• A3 , C1 and C3 will play each other in 3 test series’ home and away. B3, C2 and C4 will do the same. Winners in each group will qualify to Group A and B in the next cycle and the bottom two will be part of Group C.

Advantages :

• Other nations need not invest in first class structures that ICC will have to fund at the end of the day anyways. [If countries like IRE and AFG (or any other country for that matter) does wish to enter the Test fray, they must set up a domestic first class structure and will be allowed to get a few Tests against the lower ranked full nations outside of the tournament to monitor progress. If there is noteworthy improvement a decision will be made later on]
• All Test matches will regain meaning and should draw interest
• Boards can schedule warm up or lucrative series’ (Ashes, IND/AUS etc.) outside of the calendar as they see fit. Lets say IND is to host the Final 5 series, that might entice AUS & SA (lets say they will play the finals) to come play BD in a warm up series to get used to the weather/conditions etc.
• Revenue from tournament can have a more equal distribution to improve the FC structure in the ‘poorer’ ICC nations

Old July 11, 2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

but reality is that ICC members are so lazy that they wont even bother to read what you wrote
Old July 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Good Luck. Make friends with BCCI before you do.
Old July 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
Good Luck. Make friends with BCCI before you do.
I actually think this would be preferred by BCCI. It keeps a solid international structure limited to key tournaments and allows the boards the flexibility and gaps in the schedule to venture into lucrative decisions for them.
Old July 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
I actually think this would be preferred by BCCI. It keeps a solid international structure limited to key tournaments and allows the boards the flexibility and gaps in the schedule to venture into lucrative decisions for them.
Well T-20 cricket league in India was first thought by Zee TV and Hitesh Modi and look what BCCI did to them. To me BCCI are bunch of goons. If it is not them who come up with most of the ideas then they will ruin you to pieces.
Old July 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Firstly, I'd have only one LOI format of 30 overs a side. So in effect I'd get rid of both ODIs an T20s and find a compromise between the two. Also for LOIs, I'd have standardised pitches (consistent bounce and pace - there must be value for bowlers who bowl well and batsmen must apply themselves to score runs) and make sure they are hosted in stadiums with roofs to prevent weather interferences. Good thread btw. I'd love to post in more detail when I have more time.
Old July 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend

^^ I like the idea of the standarized pitch. Would be nice to have a standard boundary length as well. (I believe a minimum and a range exists today) but it would be good to have a fixed length period.
Old July 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Standardized pitch and abolishing bilateral ODI series are both terrible ideas in my opinion.
Abolishing bilateral series enforced by the ftp would leave the bottom ranked teams with no games with the top sides. Because of commercial interest top boards would only organize matches with themselves.
Different pitches throughout the world encourage different bowling and batting styles and lend variety. If all pitches were like Perth then sweep shots might not have seen the light of day.
Old July 12, 2012, 01:29 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

standardized pitches

With the BCCI being the most powerful board, they'd make sure all the pitches were 'Indian' in nature - thanks, but no thanks.
Old July 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

- Take away BD's test status so those old hags can just shut the eff up and quit bitchin.
- Give Test status to Ken, Scott, China, Ber, Afg, Arg and NOT Irl. That atta keep those old hags busy.
- Get rid of Test and ODI cricket.
- Take the annoying little Ashes "trophy" and stomp on it. Then upload the reactions of those pretentious English and Aussies to youtube.
- Ban India from playing Cricket. No IPL, No INT. India and Cricket will not be seen in the same sentence. MIB-Brainwash them.
- Erase Sachin's records.
- Install DRS in every Indian movie theaters to verify how horrible their movies are.
- Hire Lalit Modi to start "Major League Cricket" in America and make it the main source of cricket.
- Fire Lalit Modi
- Get Kim Kardashians and etc to invest in MLC, or else I threaten to release their sex tapes.
- Officially rename Cricinfo to Crapinfo.
Old July 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Gawd. He's back.
Old July 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Looks like dilscoop picked up right where he left off
Old July 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
- Take away BD's test status so those old hags can just shut the eff up and quit bitchin.
- Give Test status to Ken, Scott, China, Ber, Afg, Arg and NOT Irl. That atta keep those old hags busy.
- Get rid of Test and ODI cricket.
- Take the annoying little Ashes "trophy" and stomp on it. Then upload the reactions of those pretentious English and Aussies to youtube.
- Ban India from playing Cricket. No IPL, No INT. India and Cricket will not be seen in the same sentence. MIB-Brainwash them.
- Erase Sachin's records.
- Install DRS in every Indian movie theaters to verify how horrible their movies are.
- Hire Lalit Modi to start "Major League Cricket" in America and make it the main source of cricket.
- Fire Lalit Modi
- Get Kim Kardashians and etc to invest in MLC, or else I threaten to release their sex tapes.
- Officially rename Cricinfo to Crapinfo.
That was intense and funny at the same time!
laughed hard at the DRS recommendation
good one!