facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 22, 2004, 08:22 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default History of Banglacricket.com

Is it fair enough, if we want to know the story of making Banglacricket.com webcite...

im very curious becoz this forum becomes very populer in short time all over the world. we kno tehsin, rajputro and chinaman as super administrator. There are some moderators, staff, sponser too. But they belong to all over the world.... even we got some member frm different nationalities... So we just want to kno how these ppl behind the webcite meet together and then make the webcite, how did they advertise their new webcite allover the world and how did we got different countries ppl such as habibul_fan, bourney3, amit etc......

if u guise (BanglaCricket Staff) hav no problem with that it will be very great if u discribe us the story...

if the topic is discussed before then sorry abt this posting...
Old September 22, 2004, 08:58 AM
Retired BC Admin

The story was discussed many times before. However I'd invite Tehsin and fwullah, the two most senior persons of the site to write the tale in the form of articles for the front page from their own perspectives.

We might not get the real story of Rajputro however who continues to shed his sweat behind the scene tirelessly and unconditionally.

Then their is Dr. Z, Nasif, Sham, pompous, oracle, Arnab, Ehsan, tintin, Habibul_Fan, paco, Rafiq and others who form the core group of the banglacricket crew to run the site on a daily basis.

All the sponsors make up and support the most wonderful parts of all, the financial aspects of banglacricket.com.

Lastly, you the members make up and form the most valuable parts of all, the life line of banglacricket.com.
Old September 22, 2004, 10:09 AM
Cricket Legend

I am actually interested to see how different versions of revisionist histories turn out in this one.
Old September 22, 2004, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnab
I am actually interested to see how different versions of revisionist histories turn out in this one.
You could start by offering yours.
Old September 22, 2004, 11:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

a'ite guyz, comeon... someon plz start..... and stop playing the Lucknow game... pehle ap....nehi pehle ap....
Old September 22, 2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default BanglaCricket and I

A revisionist history.

I had been aware of the pre-BanglaCricket site at rivals/test-status since its inception. I recall exchanging some early emails with Tehsin several years ago about the site (how good it was) and linking from Virtual Bangladesh et al. However, my visits to that site were rather infrequent and I never did peruse the forum.

In those early days (early 90s), I was an active lurker and semi-active participant on rec.sport.cricket on usenet and was avidly following the development of cricinfo as it started as a fan driven site.

Here is an early testament to my credentials as the #1 Bangladesh cricket fan. This post on rsc was made about 14 years ago.

I was then following cricket and Bangladesh cricket mostly through rsc and Cricnfo. (Here is a post I made on this forum about the lengths I went to "watch" Bangladesh cricket).

During this time I had stopped visiting the original site and then suddenly realized that it has had a rebirth as BanglaCricket with a vibrant and active community of BD rcricket fans and well-wishers. I started visiting this site more often late last year and joined the forum sometime early this year. The powers that be decided that they could con me into being a moderator. I fell for the con.

The rest is history - at least my personal BC history.

This does not give the early history of BC but I am sure Tehsin/FW/Arnab/Chinaman can unearth some stone tablets and give us their story.

Edited on, September 22, 2004, 5:16 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Old September 23, 2004, 12:44 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

my part of the story....

On a good shiny morning.....ok may be not that

I have found out BanglaCricket.com accidentally while browsing the net for cricket related stuff. I really liked the forum and stayed guest for a while . After lurking around for few days, finally decided to register and made a post in this thread, it was a response to Orphy's post and the date was Oct 4, 2002

As they say,... the rest is history :duh: There was no looking back. Got actively involved with BanglaCricket during the world cup 03, when I proposed for the BanglaCricket Fantasy cricket.

Time went by, gallons of water fell from Niagara and Padma dried up even more and I got more and more into BanglaCricket. Now I am so much into the BanglaCricket that they say the only thing thats floating above is my eyes, which I use only to watch some cricket

All credit goes to our members, our sponsors, our writers, BanglaCricket Staffs, all Moderators, Raj bhai, Chinaman bhai, Zunaid bhai and our founder Tehsin bhai, for making BanglaCricket what it is today.

Thanks to God Almighty that BanglaCricket is thriving and going strong. This is history in the making. Watch it unfold right here....

Edited on, September 23, 2004, 5:50 AM GMT, by nasif.
Reason: forgot....
Old September 23, 2004, 02:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Nasif how many members where there when you first came onto the site. In your first post there looked to be just a few.

I came across Banglacricket when i was on info.com and i searched for Bangladesh cricket. It came up with many links and Banglacricket was the first link i clicked on and i immediatly wanted to be a member of this forum. I did it but my password would not work. So I refreshed it and i finally signed in for my first time 2 days after a became a member and i have looked at the forum every day since.

Thanx to all involved in creating Banglacricket.
Old September 23, 2004, 11:51 AM
First Class Cricketer

it seems like tehsin bhai is the founder of this forum.... neway did u guise had any sort of reunion before...??
Old September 23, 2004, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by 200SX
it seems like tehsin bhai is the founder of this forum.... neway did u guise had any sort of reunion before...??
Mods and admins didn't have full reunion yet. It is on the card. Few did meet personally to others, but not any sort of full reunion.
Old September 23, 2004, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Regarding first people I encountered here.

Quote:
After lurking around for few days, finally decided to register and made a post in this thread, it was a response to Orphy's post and the date was Oct 4, 2002
Something that is amusing me right now. My initiation sounds similar to Nasif's with his account of lurking. And surprsingly, my response to a post and eventual registration to BC, was due to none other than Orpheus!
But I see he was in a good mood that day. I don't know the exact details as those posts are not there any more but I must have received a "boka" or something from the man.
My second post, if I recall, was replied by Arnab.
Forgot what that commotion was about but the good news was that since then I have got along fine with both gentlemen

Edited on, September 23, 2004, 5:53 PM GMT, by oracle.
Old September 23, 2004, 04:27 PM
Retired BC Admin

I had the chance to meet Tehsin personally but very briefly. We talk over phone ocassionally. Rajputro's voice is the finest I ever heard over my receiver.

We are all kind of cyber buddies, more like a close family. We read each other so well that it seems like we have been buddies since the school days.

Since our mood is directly proportional to the team's performance, we'll start thinking about a grand union, including all the members and perhaps the players as well, once the tigers start to deliver.

Edited on, September 23, 2004, 10:02 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: Umm, it would be "union" instead of "reunion", doesn't it?
Old September 23, 2004, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Rajputro's voice is the finest I ever heard over my receiver.
If anyone has any doubts about this, they can easily verify:
http://www.kobitaogaan.com/collectio...Bigha_Jomi.ram

Listen to above recition and you will agree
Old September 23, 2004, 05:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

sigh! I was browsing the web..trying to find out some news about Bangladesh cricket...it was after test status...and I stumbled upon rivals.net forum. The people I remember from there are Tehsin bhai, Rajputro bhai, Sham, Almer, Arnab, Fwullah, Handle and prolly some whose name escapes me...it was a long time ago...anyways I was more of a lurker than a poster but I did post

Anyways, ironically the site had to close because the hosting server thought there was a lack of interest?!!!! And tehsin bhai got this site (on the previous server). I waited 20 odd days or so...and then I registered...once again! We used to complain often that we didn't have enough fans coming to our site Then we got 30 and then 50 members and then we somehow got to 100 members, then 150! Each series seemed to bring more members and lurkers (who eventually registered). I remember James' case well (Habibul_fan)! I thought at first he was a Bangladeshi living in Australia...but then we realised he was indeed our first non-Bengali fan on the site. As the site expanded, and we got more and more new members we decided to have several staff and mod positions (after a couple of untoward incidents), and also because we had some really talented people ready to volunteer their time and expertise to the site.

Around this time I remember Chinaman bhai! He became really active (particularly around the Pakistan tour) and has been contributing a lot (behind the scenes too) since. The different webpages that you see on the site are all thanks to the contribution of staff like Ehsan, Arnab, Nasif (another guy who works a lot behind the scenes- is directly responsible for many of the new features and the improvements in the discussion forum, the players' pages and fantasy cricket), James, Chinaman, Hasib and others. Now Dr. Z (Zunaid) is in the process of finishing up something special for the site which you guys will come to know of shortly.

Anyways let me get back to the story. Of course many of you guys remember the second time we got kicked out of the server hosting us. This time of course because we were too popular (the server couldn't take the load)! So now we are happily settled in our own server (won't have to move anytime soon I think) , thanks to an initiative by Raana bhai (we were offline for a couple of days max- I think), which has been funded through the generosity of many of our current members.

So here we are! We have now more than 800 members, and will probably cross a 1000 by the end of the year. There has not been much advertising to speak of. Most fans have come here on their own.

This site is run by volunteers who love Bangladesh cricket, and it is here because there are so many of us who love discussing about our cricket. I have glossed over some of the details but this is the jist I think. I am sure others can add to it.

Edited on, September 23, 2004, 10:34 PM GMT, by pompous.
Old September 23, 2004, 07:50 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I'm not a mod or staff or sponser or anything and joined only about 8 months ago, but as the 11th max poster and 2nd "test cricketer" labeled member (only 2nd to AsifThemanRaham) I think i can share my story here too. To avoid confusion, even though 10 other people have more post than I do, 9 of them are mods, staff and all, not pure member, and thats why I'm the 2nd to get to play test here.

Since I left Bd about four and half years ago, my only way to know about our cricket was prothom alo and cricinfo. surprisingly enough it went on like this for so many years! sigh! only around last november, while reading prothom alo i saw something about bangladesherkhela.com in their sport page. that was something pretty suprising to me. a website for bangladeshi sport! it used to have those acrobat format at this time and if u scrolled down the fonts started to shake giving u instant headache. may be that headache was the reason (need some excuse right) that i did not see the small add of banglacricket on their homepage. took about 3 months to see that. i clicked on it. and as all says, rest are history. unlike most of you guys, i registered within 10 mins I came here! at that time i did not know it was a fan driven site. i started to read the articles in front page and the name I saw most was F waliullah. I posted something in the forum and saw a name fwullah replying it. That was really impressed. I compared this site wiht cricinfo or cricketnext and it was like andrew miller coming and answering my question in cricinfo forum (don't know if they hae any). then i saw an article by billah (a pure member at that time). that was even more surprising for me. that was my inspiration to write An article about sujon. It followed by a few more.
My very first thread was about rajputro!. I had only one ball next to my name and he had 9!

the poor condition of the download section bothered me a lot. tried to fix that a bit. With the help some member i managed to put togather a complete theme of our cricket. for some reason it had far below interested than i expected .

what else. don't wanna make this too long, probably u guys are already getting bored. just to add one more thing out of this last 8 and half month i'm here, I had banglacricket.com as my homepage for about 6 months, just receintly changed it to google.
Old September 23, 2004, 08:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I think I was the only person who found the site by typing in www.banglacricket.com and hoping for the best. I was getting all my news from cricinfo and the Daily Stay, that was it. I was becoming more and more fond of Bangladesh but more and more disappointed with the lack of news i was receiving so i put in all different combinations of bangladesh/ban/bangla/bd/bdesh and tigers/cricket and eventually came up with banglacricket. True story :P
Old September 24, 2004, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Habibul_fan
I think I was the only person who found the site by typing in www.banglacricket.com and hoping for the best. I was getting all my news from cricinfo and the Daily Stay, that was it. I was becoming more and more fond of Bangladesh but more and more disappointed with the lack of news i was receiving so i put in all different combinations of bangladesh/ban/bangla/bd/bdesh and tigers/cricket and eventually came up with banglacricket. True story :P
If this is true story James, then I gotta say this:

boy!
Old September 24, 2004, 01:00 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

how can something be true story? if its true its not a story. and if its a story its not.
Old October 1, 2004, 01:30 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

chinaman bhai ... i see how it is. You didn't think my voice was impressive eh ? Maybe I needed to serenade you or something with my melodious voice. It worked on your bhabi (or maybe she just lies to me to keep me happy).

I would say that Fwullah was the first one to join the forum (at teststatus.com - I didn't like the name but rivals offered it free of charge) and i was kinda surprised to have a woman as our first member. More surprising was the fact that she was from Bangladesh. Pompous already mentioned some of the other earliar members.

I remember looking for other sites like mine but (this was around 1997/98 - I had service with iocc.com out of arkadelphia, AR) it was really frustrating at the time. Cricinfo was my main source and later I found the dailystar, ittefaq, the independent, and dhaka-bangladesh.com. I was so happy to see my site linked from Zunaid bhai's virtual bangladesh site. He had a section on sports and he had cricket and soccer (right?) listed there and he had a good bd website links page if I am not mistaken.

I was also a regular in irc (undernet - #bangladesh among others) and I used to mention the site every chance i got. People never really paid attention (unless we won).

Anyone here been to the old www.iocc.com/~salient/cricket/ site ? That was the mother/father (whatever you want to call it) of banglacricket.com. It did not have a forum but it used to get daily updates by me (I wish i could do it now) and besides my own write-ups, it used to be filled with (cut and paste) articles from dailystar and cricinfo. I used to update the local league results religiously (i know zunaid bhai is going - why can't you do it now?).

I Was contacted by rivals group out of england as they were about to launch their sports site featuring the test teams and BD was getting good vibes about getting the teststatus (this was early 2000) and my contact suggested teststatus.com (url: http://bangladeshcricket.rivals.net/...t.asp?sid=1175) and we decided to go with it. The first things I noticed (and the best thing yet) was a free forum and a chat room. It was just perfect. As I wrote earlier, fwullah became the first member and she started writing for the site and pretty soon our membership reached "5", then '10' within months (yes, I am being sarcastic but it was a slowwwwww start). Another person I met around this time was Raana bhai. He was working in Texas and he shared the same passion about the site that I had. We kind of thought that BD would be a force to reckon by 2004 (we were both wrong on that one, eheheh).

The site wasn't getting the numbers and rivals were cutting down on the cricket sites with only 3-4 test teams being allowed to carry on. It was time to move, we had a poll about what name to pick and banglacricket stuck (I swear to god that my memory is going bad - can the older members confirm this ? We may have had the poll later). We had to move out by the end of February 2002.

Despite rajputro's offer to host the site at kobitaogaan.com, I went with a hosting service that offered plenty of space and bandwidth and the biggest worry of all - A MESSAGE BOARD. That lasted a year and by this time we realized that we (me and raj) need more space even though the board membership was between 100-200. We picked a bigger hosting with bigger bandwidth and these people were criminals (sorry, that's kinda harsh). After getting shutdown couple of times, we decided to go with our own servers and that's where we are now. By the way - you can get your own homepage thru banglacricket Hosting.

Just want to mention couple of thing. This used to be a one man show up until Raj bhai started to take a proactive role in the site design and management. He has made several changes to the site and some of you have seen those changes first hand. Thanks to him, the site management became extraordinarily easy and thus we were able to allow others to make direct contribution into the site.

By fall of last year, the message board was really picking up and this gentleman named chinaman started to become a regular (24/7 - how does he do that ?) in the site. I think he was personaly responsible for turning our long suffering lurker Zunaid. I have been in contact with him for the last 5-6 years but he really didn't join the site until early 2004 and again, i think it was the doing of C-man. Another kid that made BC interesting is Nasif (fantasy/). If you haven't been to this section yet, you have seen nothing.

The best thing about BC are the members and each and every member, writer, staff, moderator and admin have made BC what it is today. You can find some of our behind the scene crew listed (will be updated soon with more contributors) in the about ussection. You can also find the list of members (since our move in june 2002) in the membersection. I just named 4/5 people and I feel guilty about it. I haven't even said a word about other long suffering members like pompous, Orpheus, Arnab, Sham (he has been MIA for a long time - bright kid), habibul-fan, pundit, piranha, Doorbin (our first contributor), and the ist goes on ....... to them, my sincerest apologies.

============================
Something interesting from teststatus. I believe this to be the very first article (it was probably a cut and paste from indepedent) in the teststatus site. This was dated April 8, 2000: Bangladesh test report

If you have plenty of time to kill. Try this easy archive, you'll find stuff that you probably won't find anywhere else 9unless you really really REALLY dig for it): Search for articles
(you can simply go to the site and click on story index).
Old February 13, 2005, 01:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Default How did you find out about Banglacricket.com?

How did you find out about this website / forum? I did a google search (I forget what search term) and found this site. I'm glad I did, because I really enjoy coming here
Old February 13, 2005, 01:57 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I did a search on 'Bangladesh cricket' - that's probably what you typed in your 'search item' and found teststatus.com (which has now been shifted here at banglacricket) at rivals.net back in 2000.
Old February 13, 2005, 02:45 AM
First Class Cricketer

I was searching on google and somehow it got me here and i m glad it did!
Old February 13, 2005, 09:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

My story is very similar to Rubayed's.
Old February 13, 2005, 09:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Almighty "google"
Old February 13, 2005, 09:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Google