facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 1, 2009, 08:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Default Official KKR Thread

The most discussed IPL team (in BC) should have its own exclusive official thread. So, here it is.

Last edited by Eshen; March 9, 2010 at 07:21 PM..

Old October 1, 2009, 08:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Akram set for Knight Riders bowling job

New Delhi: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram is all set to be appointed as the bowling consultant of IPL outfit Kolkata Knight Riders.

Though the Knight Riders' management continues to remain tightlipped on the matter, sources have told CNN-IBN that Akram will be working closely with the fast bowlers of the Knight Riders in the third edition of the tournament next year.

Akram will join the Kolkata Knight Riders' camp, which begins in Gurgaon from October 1.

"He will join the KKR camp at Gurgaon to oversee the proceedings," former KKR skipper Sourav Ganguly said at the Eden Gardens here on Tuesday.

However, as Akram will be busy doing commentary for the ongoing Champions trophy, where the final is slated for October 5, he will join the camp only in the later stages.

The camp is scheduled to continue till October 8. Till Akram joins, Ganguly will be in charge of the camp.

However, leading Bengal players are unlikely to attend the camp as the cricket Association Bengal has organised a Challengers tournament to give some match practice to the players ahead of the gruelling season.

http://cricketnext.in.com/news/akram.../44212-27.html
Old October 12, 2009, 11:18 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Whatmore to be Kolkata coach
Cricinfo, October 12, 2009

Kolkata Knight Riders have lined up Dav Whatmore as coach, putting an end to months of speculation and uncertainty after the exit of John Buchanan. Whatmore, who guided Sri Lanka to the 1996 World Cup title, has been given the job more than three months after the team sacked Buchanan following two disastrous IPL seasons in which they finished sixth and eighth.

Whatmore was head of the BCCI's National Cricket Academy in Bangalore, but KKR sources told Cricinfo that the Indian board, which also runs the hugely successful Twenty20 league, has cleared the coach to take up the new assignment. Whatmore was not available for a reaction -- he is away in Australia on vacation -- and Joy Bhattacharya, the Kolkata team's director, declined to comment.

Kolkata zeroed in on Whatmore after meeting a number of candidates, including John Wright, Richard Pybus, Dermot Reeve, Duncan Fletcher, Lalchand Rajput, WV Raman and Ashok Malhotra. The Knight Riders have also lined up Wasim Akram as a consultant to guide their bowling attack and are expected to recall Sourav Ganguly as captain though a formal declaration can be expected only after they officially announce the coach's appointment.

The Kolkata management had informally sounded out Whatmore in June and followed it up with an interview in August at the Mumbai residence of Shah Rukh Khan, the Bollywood star who also owns the Kolkata franchise along with Jay Mehta, a businessman.

Whatmore, 55, has played seven Tests for Australia and brings to the IPL an impressive record. Apart from the 1996 World Cup title, he guided Bangladesh to two historic wins in the 2007 World Cup against India and South Africa, and has also coached Lancashire to title wins in the NatWest and Sunday League in 1998. Last year, he was coach of the India under-19 team that won the junior World Cup in Malaysia. In fact, Whatmore has been coach of an international team in 321 matches (Tests and ODIs) so far, which is a world record in itself.

In 2007, he was on the verge of being appointed India coach before the BCCI thinktank changed its mind at the last minute and opted for Gary Kirsten; the Indian board subsequently got Whatmore on board as director of cricket at the NCA.

But more than the records, what might work for Whatmore in Kolkata is his low-profile but hands-on approach and man-management skills, especially the ability to motivate players and help them raise their performance, as his record with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh shows.

Buchanan's tenure with Kolkata was marred by controversy after the former Australian coach unveiled his multi-captaincy theory that generated a lot of debate worldwide and then replaced Ganguly, the local icon, as captain with Brendon McCullum. McCullum will not be available for most of the next IPL - from March 12 to April 25 - and will play instead for New Zealand against Australia in the home series in March.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

This is fantastic news. Dav Whatmore is a great coach. Mash is playing for KKR this year too right?
Old October 12, 2009, 11:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Alok, Ash, Sakib

i think Whatmore will only do good to KKR.. good luck on his new job even though i would love to see him as BD coach instead of JS..
Old October 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
Cricket Legend

No more injustice with Mash, at least that's for sure, because he is not only a Bangladeshi player but also Whatmore's favorite of the lot.
Old October 12, 2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

KKR bhua, Mash aro bhua

I'll support whoever the Wisden kid plays for next year.
Old October 12, 2009, 01:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi
No more injustice with Mash, at least that's for sure, because he is not only a Bangladeshi player but also Whatmore's favorite of the lot.
Play Mash and lose the game? Is that what you all want?

Mash is a crappy T20 player. He just doesn't know how to bowl in T20 and death overs in ODs.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:24 PM
Cricket Sage

mash's contract was for a year, as far as i know he's not with KKR no more. its better that way, forget IPL as long as mash's fit to play for Bangladesh that all it should matter, he's got enough injury problem already, IPL could cause some serious damage.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
mash's contract was for a year, as far as i know he's not with KKR no more. its better that way, forget IPL as long as mash's fit to play for Bangladesh that all it should matter, he's got enough injury problem already, IPL could cause some serious damage.
it's farcical to see that our top bowler is a lobongoboti, touch-me-not, lojjaboti gaacher nonir putul who is so injury prone that he has to cross his fingers just to play a good game.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 13, 2009, 12:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Need to perform.
Old October 13, 2009, 02:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
No mash's contract was for 2 years.. and it ends after the next IPL; just like everybodies. Then there will be a new auction in the year after that including all the players.

just to clarify more:

all players bought through auction before IPL season 1: contract 3 years
all bought through auction before IPL season 2: contract 2 years

For, players not brought through auction as replacement or something: their terms and conditions are different.

In the case of razzak; bangalor had terminated his contract after season throgh mutual understanding his innitial contract was also for 3 years. He did get somesignificant money as compensation
Old October 13, 2009, 03:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Play Mash and lose the game? Is that what you all want?

Mash is a crappy T20 player. He just doesn't know how to bowl in T20 and death overs in ODs.
Bro, I didn't say he will play even if he under performs or someone else deserves more than him. I said at least there will be no injustice with him like the last season where guys like Henriques and Matthews played their first match much before him even after bowling well in the nets and practice matches.
Old October 14, 2009, 11:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

Sourav Ganguly said Masrafee will play this time in the IPL.
source:http://jugantor.info/enews/issue/200...5/news0065.php
Old October 15, 2009, 07:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Great news, Whatmore is the new head coach and Wasim Akram is the bowling consultant, but will Mash be fit? that is the big question.
Old October 16, 2009, 02:15 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
Great news, Whatmore is the new head coach and Wasim Akram is the bowling consultant, but will Mash be fit? that is the big question.
Nice! I'll start saving up some scratch for this
Old December 1, 2009, 10:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Dav Whatmore looking forward to Sourav Ganguly association

Quote:
"Ganguly has a great contribution to Indian cricket," Whatmore said. "He knows how to extract the best from his players. It's a wonderful experience working with him. We are looking for a fruitful season ahead."

"I don't want to delve into what happened in the past. We are giving our best and preparing strongly for a competitive IPL 3 ahead."

At the conclusion of a two-day KKR camp, Whatmore revealed the sessions had been productive and had helped assess the skills of the local talents. "I am very happy to see the local talents, it was a productive two days of skill assessment and development in our endevour to make a strong side for IPL 3.

The two-day camp was attended by former ICL players Rohan Gavaskar, Eklak Ahmid, Ganapathi Vignesh. Gujarat offspinner Mohnish Parmar, who is on the list of bowlers with 'suspect' actions, and Services allrounder Yashpal Singh also attended the camp. Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Ashok Dinda, Sourav Sarkar, Sourashish Lahiri and Rohan Banerjee, were also present, with Bengal not featuring in the latest round of Ranji Trophy Super League matches.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Hodge chosen as possible opener for KKR

http://cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/246...opener-for-KKR

Kolkata Knight Riders will probably open the batting with Aussie batsman Brad Hodge in the third season of the Indian Premier League. He will open in the absence of Chris Gayle and Brendan McCullum who are playing in the national team against Zimbabwe and Australia respectively.

Kolkata coach Dav Whatmore said that the team is exploring the possibility of Hodge opening the batting. "Brad is a fine addition to our squad. He looked good during practice on Sunday. He is one of the key players for Victoria during their Twenty20 Big Bash triumph. He has also been a consistent performer in the Australian domestic season as well".

Hodge was the fourth-highest run-scorer in the Twenty20 Big Bash with 181 in seven innings. Though Hodge announced his retirement from first-class cricket, Whatmore said he remained a force.

There are several candidates for the role of Hodge's opening partner, including Manoj Tiwary, Chirag Pathak and Sourav Ganguly. Whatmore said Hodge's success would determine whether he continued as opener once Gayle and McCullum joined the team. "If he does well at the top of the order, he will certainly continue playing at that position," Whatmore said.

Whatmore also said fast bowler Ishant Sharma's sessions with Wasim Akram would be of great help. He added that if Ishant benefits from Akram's tips, it would not only help his and KKR's prospect, but it would also help the national team.

When asked if fielding was an area of concern for Kolkata, he said "We have identified the areas we need to work upon and those areas are being addressed. It is a continuous process but we are slowly improving . We have to work hard on each and every aspect of the game."

Kolkata finished sixth in the first season and last in the previous season. They kick off their campaign against defending champions Deccan Chargers on March 12 in Mumbai.
Old March 10, 2010, 06:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Did Mashrafee started his net session?
Old March 10, 2010, 06:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

OK, got this from another thread.

Quote:
Mashrafe joins squad

Calcutta: Bangladesh speedster Mashrafe Mortaza, who underwent a knee-surgery last August, joined the Kolkata Knight Riders squad in Mumbai on Tuesday.

Although his name doesn’t figure in the list of 23 registered players, the team management will assess his fitness during the training session Wednesday.

In case Mashrafe is found fit to play, he may be registered before they take on the Deccan Chargers on Friday. In that case, Mashrafe will be eligible for a first XI berth.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/110031...y_12198861.jsp
Old March 11, 2010, 09:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Chargers not taking Knights lightly

Mumbai: Kolkata Knight Riders’ rivals are not taking them lightly.

“In Twenty20, you need to play consistent cricket. They (KKR) certainly have the players and we’ll be wary of them,” Darren Lehmann, the Australian coach of the Deccan Chargers, the Knights’ opponents in the tournament opener on Friday, said.

Both the Chargers and the Knights went through a rigorous net session at the D.Y. Patil stadium, the match venue. While Lehmann’s team chose to sweat it out in the afternoon heat, Dav Whatmore’s side opted for the relatively cooler conditions under the floodlights.

The batsmen, without exception, were seen making a conscious effort to get into the T20 mode. That, however, did not stop Ishant Sharma and Mashrafe Mortaza from troubling the batsmen. Whatmore would have been happy to see their pacers hit the right line and length.

Lehmann was a little concerned about the fact that the team had lost their home advantage as their matches had been shifted out of Hyderabad. “We can’t control that. We would have liked to see fans from Hyderabad to come and watch us play. We hope some of them will travel to with the team,” the 40-year-old said.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/110031...y_12202527.jsp

Old March 11, 2010, 09:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

I think this is Mashrafe's best chance to make the XI. Gayle, McCullum and Bond are away on national duty. However he still has to compete with Charl Langeveldt who is a top T20 bowler.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

I don't believe in too many team meetings: Ganguly

Quote:
"I'm a believer of execution and I'm not a firm believer of too many team meetings and too many ideas," the former India skipper said on the eve of Kolkata Knight Riders' Indian Premier League clash against defending champions Deccan Chargers.

"You have to let the player play to his strength. Everybody has his strength. They have been successful so far with the way they have played.

"We have good players in (Brad) Hodge, (Owais) Shah, Angelo Mathews. Obviously we will miss McCullum and Gayle. But we will wait for them. Gayle should be here very shortly."

There was a fitness concern over speedster Ajit Agarkar and it will be known, on Friday, whether he can play, Ganguly said. "Yes, there's a fitness issue over Ajit. We will deal with it tomorrow," he said.

The former national skipper was full of praise for the role of Pakistan great Wasim Akram in working with his team's bowling department. Asked about the impact the ex-Pakistan captain had on his team he said, "Great impact".

"He's working with the bowlers. Our bowling department is very well looked after. Hopefully we can get some runs on the board," he said.

Elaborating he said, "We have lot of good quicks in our team who can actually go and play for India at some stage. Ishant (Sharma) is already playing for India. (Ashok) Dinda has played a game. He's in the reckoning.

"We got Varun Aaron. Once he's fit and once we get him on the park, he bowls (at) nearly 90 miles an hour. He's a bright prospect," he remarked.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news...the-year-again

Quote:
...the Mashrafe Mortaza experiment will thankfully not be tried again since the bowler is injured.
What??
Old March 11, 2010, 03:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Aaron hopes to fast-track career in 45 days

Quote:
With a few days to go for the third edition of the IPL, Kolkata Knight Riders skipper Sourav Ganguly spoke about 20-year-old Varun Aaron as someone who could bowl at 90 miles an hour before proclaiming him as a future star of Indian cricket. Even coach Dav Whatmore playfully pretends to duck when he crosses paths with the youngster from Jharkhand.

“I have always tried to bowl as fast as I can and have been recognised for my pace even at the junior level,” says Aaron, whose father shifted from Bangalore to Jamshedpur in the 1980s.

Aaron, who is suffering from a stress fracture in his back, will miss the first few matches for the Knight Riders this time around. “I have had awful luck with injuries so far. I was picked in the East Zone squad for the Deodhar Trophy last year but ended up missing it,” he says.

But it is not only his skipper singing praises about him that has lifted Aaron’s spirits of late. After spending six seasons at the MRF Pace Academy under the tutelage of Dennis Lillee, Aaron has now got the opportunity to pick the brains of the legendary Wasim Akram, who is the bowling consultant with the Knight Riders.

“He was always my favourite fast bowler growing up. He explained a lot about swing and how to control it. Lillee sir told me that I had all the ingredients right for a fast bowler and that I would play for India one day,” says a beaming Aaron, who has picked up 12 wickets at 44.91 in six first-class games for his state so far.

The youngster remains philosophical about suffering from a back injury at this early juncture in his career, but believes he will continue to try and keep bowling at his fastest.

“After my injury I was waiting for my action to get cleared. I couldn’t even try and get into a Ranji team. The IPL is the most important event for me at this stage. Last year I understood how you can get famous so quickly and how people can forget you even quicker,” says the left-arm fast bowler.