facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 13, 2007, 07:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Excellent read Sohel bhai.

In the light of the ongoing discussion in the thread, I am reposting two quotes from McInnes and Siddons.

Quote:
"I think the Bangladesh batsmen still need to master the art of building an innings, of getting to the other end when they are under pressure rather than swinging wildly, of batting as a pair better rather than two individuals, of staying positive even when defending or batting in tough conditions. This does not mean still scoring at a SR of 80+ but maintaining positive intent. I have watched several times when the Bangladeshi batsmen get in trouble they try and sit in the crease and hold the opposition out. It is really only a matter of time before they get out. You need to keep taking the game to the opposition but with calculated risks, not impetuous rushes of blood."

- Richard McInnes
Quote:
"You got be aggressive for success at any level of cricket. But at the same time you need to be sensible. You got to be able to jump on the bad balls, make the ball percentages of the danger areas very small and make the bowlers worry about where you would go to hit them. But you also got to leave a lot of balls alone in Test cricket if you want to get success. I think Bangladeshi batsmen need to learn how to blend that perfectly. They should hit the bad balls for fours. There is no point to bat for two hours and score only 20 but if the opposition bowled two very good hours then someday you have to be satisfied with 20 and remain not out. That is my challenge, to educate the batsmen when to go and when not to go."

- Jamie Siddons
I am also reposting what Gowza said in another thread, something that made a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
pretty much spot on, hit the bad balls to the boundary, leave the dangerous ones and get singles, 2's and 3's from the rest. but to be able to do that and to decide what to do with each ball the batsman needs to be in full concentration every ball otherwise they'll miss opportunities to hit boundaries and they'll also miss judge balls that are dangerous as less dangerous and attempt something they shouldn't attempt with that particular ball.

Old November 13, 2007, 11:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

akabir7

Never mind. You didn't understand what I tried to say. No chance of playing five days with the current players. Thats the reality. Have you seen some of the scores of the NCL? 200 all out is pretty much the standard, whether the team is full of attacking batsmen or made up off grafters. Actually at this point in time, our test batting is worse than say two years ago with the decline of Bashar ( never grafted that guy, but scored at no3, something any team must have to counter attack the opposition ), Pilot, JO and Rafiq. Since, its a rebuilding period, and I anticipate the team to be very young, results don't really matter. I will back naturally talented attacking batsmen in every position with the hope they will learn at the job to quote from Sohel. In the process, maybe they will learn to play long innings...
Old November 14, 2007, 01:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Well written, Sohel bhai. Jader mone dukkho ache, apnar lekha pore tader mon valo hoye jabe..as na heshe parbe na..

btw Sohel bhai, it was Dhaka's 2nd victory not first. They won the match against Sylhet in the 2nd round.
My bad ...

MODS: can you please change the thread title to "Rafiq's Magical Over and Dhaka's Crucial Victory" ?
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old November 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
akabir7

Never mind. You didn't understand what I tried to say. No chance of playing five days with the current players. Thats the reality. Have you seen some of the scores of the NCL? 200 all out is pretty much the standard, whether the team is full of attacking batsmen or made up off grafters. Actually at this point in time, our test batting is worse than say two years ago with the decline of Bashar ( never grafted that guy, but scored at no3, something any team must have to counter attack the opposition ), Pilot, JO and Rafiq. Since, its a rebuilding period, and I anticipate the team to be very young, results don't really matter. I will back naturally talented attacking batsmen in every position with the hope they will learn at the job to quote from Sohel. In the process, maybe they will learn to play long innings...
I agree with you that it won't matter who is playing most probably the game will be over in 3 days. But my concern is if we try to put natural stroke player (if they were like half what bashar was then i wouldn't object) in all 6 position then we might break some records and mind you not the good ones (this is also a probability but a high one).
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 14, 2007, 12:46 PM
Cricket Guru

If you look at every test team, you will see that their top six is made up of batsmen who first of all, has the ability to take it to the bowlers. Thats the first criteria. You have to have the natural ability to strike a cricket ball and score runs- for example, big centuries. Now, almost all of them, can also play the patience game when its needed, or respond to the situation of the match. They also gotta have the ability to turn it on when needed. Thats the crucial element missing from our talented players. They just don't have that thing called 'stickability'. But, that is not a cricketing aspect but a mental aspect of the game that one has to learn by playing. Sitting on the sideline won't help. But, if you fill up the card with players who sort of has that mental ability of 'sticking' without that pure cricketing ability, I am afraid, we will never produce winners, because, they are either unwilling or unable to attack, when its needed.

The difference in results : One group will lose in three days, and the other, maybe in two and half days, as of now. But, maybe the later group will learn to bat for four/five sessions per innings and in the process will give you 400 runs, so the bowlers have support. The former group, despite what you think, will not give you 400 runs in any sitaution and at best will have to play complimentary role to support the other group.

Don't think of wins, losses, draws at this point of BD test cricket. Concentrate on making test players, and by that I mean, test players built for this century, where five day draws are becoming an anomaly.
Old November 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
If you look at every test team, you will see that their top six is made up of batsmen who first of all, has the ability to take it to the bowlers. Thats the first criteria. You have to have the natural ability to strike a cricket ball and score runs- for example, big centuries. Now, almost all of them, can also play the patience game when its needed, or respond to the situation of the match. They also gotta have the ability to turn it on when needed. Thats the crucial element missing from our talented players. They just don't have that thing called 'stickability'. But, that is not a cricketing aspect but a mental aspect of the game that one has to learn by playing. Sitting on the sideline won't help. But, if you fill up the card with players who sort of has that mental ability of 'sticking' without that pure cricketing ability, I am afraid, we will never produce winners, because, they are either unwilling or unable to attack, when its needed.

The difference in results : One group will lose in three days, and the other, maybe in two and half days, as of now. But, maybe the later group will learn to bat for four/five sessions per innings and in the process will give you 400 runs, so the bowlers have support. The former group, despite what you think, will not give you 400 runs in any sitaution and at best will have to play complimentary role to support the other group.

Don't think of wins, losses, draws at this point of BD test cricket. Concentrate on making test players, and by that I mean, test players built for this century, where five day draws are becoming an anomaly.
Excellent post!! The only think I disagree is the first and the second needs to be flip-floped. Test batsmen must be patient first then take it to the bowlers. There is no limitation of balls facing. Let their eye get in. That is why we can't get Sanggakara-Jayawardene out once they are set.

As for stickibility one has to be technically sound. There is no way (unless a sachin) our 19/20 year old boys can correct their deficiency in the national team. Too early exposure is ruining the growth we are having. There is no short cut.

Aggressive strokemakers are inconsistant. In no profession inconsistancy is desirable.
Old November 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

bottom line ntl team shouldn't be the place to learn how to be patient. They don't need fast bowler, green pitches, swing bowlers or anything else to learn this. and that's why this stroke makers need to learn this in NCL or A team games. if they don't show this in those games i don't believe that in two three games they will magically learn that.

On other hand a grafter like Jr. or Golla always can make big scores (which they do). according to your logic at least Goola got some 100's and Jr. showed in NCL that he can win the game for his team or stay there. what had aftab shown? OR TI? they got out when their team needed them. So that's why i am saying we need to make them learn and respect the game first which they can do it in their backyard...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 14, 2007, 01:54 PM
Cricket Guru

I think, I have said what I have to say, and the way I feel is the correct approach to cricket. It is a philosophical difference. You guys are not wrong, but, I am right.

Well..some other time...
Old November 14, 2007, 02:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Even though Rafiq will still be an automatic choice in next tour by the selectors, I think we seriously need to think his alternative sooner than latter. His bowling skill are diminishing but still have some left. But the scary part is his batting touch is completely gone... looks like its gone for good.
Old November 14, 2007, 02:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Even though Rafiq will still be an automatic choice in next tour by the selectors, I think we seriously need to think his alternative sooner than latter.
We actually have quite a few spinners in the pipeline ready to replace Rafique in the both versions (ODI, Test) - Abdur Razzak, Enamul Jr, and now Mosharraf Rubel. The question is how long Rafique can keep those guys out (Razzak has already overtaken Rafique in ODIs).
Old November 14, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Sohel Bhai

Very entertining reading. i was giggling all the time. You could write for Crucufino.

Anyhow, I wholeheartedly agree with the following statements. This match ending seems to have been a poor show by Dhaka, it also showed up in their defeat against Chittagong in their 1 day innings. Luckily the little tiger cub Tamim was not playing.

Quote:
"You got be aggressive for success at any level of cricket. But at the same time you need to be sensible. You got to be able to jump on the bad balls, make the ball percentages of the danger areas very small and make the bowlers worry about where you would go to hit them. But you also got to leave a lot of balls alone in Test cricket if you want to get success. I think Bangladeshi batsmen need to learn how to blend that perfectly. They should hit the bad balls for fours. There is no point to bat for two hours and score only 20 but if the opposition bowled two very good hours then someday you have to be satisfied with 20 and remain not out. That is my challenge, to educate the batsmen when to go and when not to go."

- Jamie Siddons

I am also reposting what Gowza said in another thread, something that made a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
pretty much spot on, hit the bad balls to the boundary, leave the dangerous ones and get singles, 2's and 3's from the rest. but to be able to do that and to decide what to do with each ball the batsman needs to be in full concentration every ball otherwise they'll miss opportunities to hit boundaries and they'll also miss judge balls that are dangerous as less dangerous and attempt something they shouldn't attempt with that particular ball.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It all makes sense, dont know if our free spirited and reckless batsmen will ever understand, but I am sure that Jamie Siddons will drum it into their heads.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
hmmm....Sohel bhai already said it in his previous post
Thanks for reminding everyone bro ...

Also thanks to BanCricFan for your feedback and kind words, and Ehsen, Kalpurush, and Zainab for the encouragement and appreciation.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)