facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 12, 2012, 07:49 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Default Why are Muslims so violent and intolerant?

Simple question....

-It can't be education, plenty of uneducated people all across the world.
-It can't be poverty, again plenty of poor people all across the world, and the most intolerant muslims seem to be the wealthiest(arabs)
-Worst of all, so little tolerance towards each other, let alone those with different ideas.

I don't want to hear about it's a vocal minority...or excuses about there are extremists in every religion/society.

Old September 12, 2012, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Something about the effect on opium on the masses.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Sand in their pants.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

too much beef steak,beef bhuna
Old September 12, 2012, 08:37 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

^^ Keep beef away from this conversation.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 12, 2012, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Yeah. No need to get facetious. This is a serious topic.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:51 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Simple ans: Because they have strained away from Quran
Old September 12, 2012, 09:07 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Agree with Nekre's point.

On the same note, I am very proud of Bangladesh and Bengali Muslims in general. With such a big Muslim popultion, there has been almost no jongibad activities. It happens in PAK, AFG daily and all other large Muslim countries like Indonesia, Nigeria, Turkey, and other ME had similar attacks few times in the year. I believe we are the mainstream moderate Muslims that follows religion while also have a very vibrant civic and cultural mindset. We can be the example of moderate Muslims.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Old September 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Agree with Nekre's point.

On the same note, I am very proud of Bangladesh and Bengali Muslims in general. With such a big Muslim popultion, there has been almost no jongibad activities. It happens in PAK, AFG daily and all other large Muslim countries like Indonesia, Nigeria, Turkey, and other ME had similar attacks few times in the year. I believe we are the mainstream moderate Muslims that follows religion while also have a very vibrant civic and cultural mindset. We can be the example of moderate Muslims.
Tell that to the Ahmadias, Hindus, and the Indigenous peoples of the hill tracts. People in glass houses.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Muslims are violent because the idea of violence and bloodshed as a tool is still very recent in its history of conception. Much like Christianity in the early days. I am optimistic that as literacy rates increase and economic conditions around the world get better, Islam, too, will undergo progressive reforms that will be adopted by the mainstream followers.

But then again, I have been optimistic for a while now ...
Old September 12, 2012, 09:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Tell that to the Ahmadias, Hindus, and the Indigenous peoples of the hill tracts. People in glass houses.
I was just about to point that out. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
Simple ans: Because they have strained away from Quran
Point me to a time in Islam where you think the Quran was followed and there was no violence and bloodshed. Academic sources, please - not religious anecdotes or hadiths.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
MLC World Series I

Disagree with you Mufi.

I'm not so upto date with all the happenings in the country. I read the DS from time to time but the BD outlets hardly cover the news of atrocities committed by Muslims here.

What about, when a few months ago(last year?) a bunch of Muslims burned down a temple in their own village and the story hardly got any coverage at all?

What about when a religious party (Muslims) tried to demolish a sect of a society because they housed the largest and oldest brothel in BD, close to 150 years, without any serious considerations for the after thought?

They are so many such incidents that don't get coverage by the BD media.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:29 AM

Crazy! Appalling and Shocking what's happened. I am actually feeling grief. The repercussions of today is going to be severe.

Self-righteousness about being Muslim is the only reason why. No one has humility anymore in practising their faith.

Apologists and the meek will say this is "cowardly, criminal, etc etc". Time to really just man the f*** up and admit that Muslims have a problem.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

I acknowledge and condemn the atrocities that are done against non-Muslim population in BD. My point was that comparing to what happens in PAK/AFG and other big Muslim countries, the incident in BD are very minimal. In a population of 140+ million Muslims, few isolated incidents will happen. Even in USA, within the last 3 months, 5 mosques were vandalized. Now did you hear about that? On other side of border, they torched a Mosque and persecuted Muslims in Assam. There are fringe groups everywhere but generally as a popuation, we Bengali Muslims are tolerant and moderate.

Please note that in no way or capacity I am supporting any of these acts.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I acknowledge and condemn the atrocities that are done against non-Muslim population in BD. My point was that comparing to what happens in PAK/AFG and other big Muslim countries, the incident in BD are very minimal. In a population of 140+ million Muslims, few isolated incidents will happen. Even in USA, within the last 3 months, 5 mosques were vandalized. Now did you hear about that? On other side of border, they torched a Mosque and persecuted Muslims in Assam. There are fringe groups everywhere but generally as a popuation, we Bengali Muslims are tolerant and moderate.

Please note that in no way or capacity I am supporting any of these acts.
Mufi when people start comparing in terms of magnitude, inevitably we ignore the problem. Killing ONE Soul is wrong. Doesnt matter if 1000 happens in Pak/Afg/Assam, and 5 in Bangladesh. Comparing and seeking moral ground based on numbers only adds to the problem. There is no defense, it is a problem, and it is wrong.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:56 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Mufi when people start comparing in terms of magnitude, inevitably we ignore the problem. Killing ONE Soul is wrong. Doesnt matter if 1000 happens in Pak/Afg/Assam, and 5 in Bangladesh. Comparing and seeking moral ground based on numbers only adds to the problem. There is no defense, it is a problem, and it is wrong.
Absolutely Ammar bhai. Even killing one person is wrong and it is our mistake. The existence of the problem is enough to be alarmed and not the magnitude.

I think I am not explaining myself well here. My point was, comparing to other so called Muslim countries, BD has a good record in combating jongibad and one of the main reason is our moderate religious behavior. Now there are some fringe attacks and Gov't and civic leaders should do more, like for example in Ramadan Gov't ordered Khateebs to talk against jongibad in Friday prayers. This was exemplary and was even mentioned in few ME newspapers where they praised the efforts.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Mufi bhai, I am not sure how "tolerant" these Bengali Muslims are. As I mentioned before, the very moderate Muslim Bengali also harbors some fudged-up views about enemies of Islam and how they should be dealt with. Maybe in our big cities you don't see the ramifications of such views, but go to vast majority of graams and visit the madrassas. See what kids are being taught. I would say we are not much different from the religious mentality in Pakistan - except our mindset is much less tribal-oriented than their's. This may explain the restraint in violence you speak of.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
MLC World Series I

Agree with Electrequiem.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:06 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I can tell you one thing, The Quran or Hadith has nothing to do with it. Miss-explanation of it (knowing and unknowing) is a big part.

A lot of it comes from illiteracy. Illiterate people are easy to manipulate. Of course the question comes who manipulates them and why. And trying to explain that is so complex, I can't even start on it (as much of it as I know).

It also comes from dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction of have-not about haves. Dissatisfaction about decades long injustices, and many other things.

And then, getting trolled for various reasons by various entities (the recent example).

In short, its a problem. But a problem that does not have any easy answer but the solutions are relatively easy. Education and from education the huge knowledge of "don't feed the trolls".
Old September 12, 2012, 10:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
I can tell you one thing, The Quran or Hadith has nothing to do with it.

A lot of it comes from illiteracy. Illiterate people are easy to manipulate. Of course the question comes who manipulates them and why. And trying to explain that is so complex, I can't even start on it (as much of it as I know).

It also comes from dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction of have-not about haves. Dissatisfaction about decades long injustices, and many other things.

And then, getting trolled for various reasons by various entities (the recent example).

In short, its a problem. But a problem that does not have any easy answer but the solutions are relatively easy. Education and from education the huge knowledge of "don't feed the trolls".
Rubu bhai,

As OP pointed out, illiteracy and economic conditions cannot be the prime cause.

And difference of opinions =/= trolling/instigating.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
I can tell you one thing, The Quran or Hadith has nothing to do with it. Miss-explanation of it (knowing and unknowing) is a big part.

Are you talking about religious education? Because there are too many with decent academic backgrounds who still harbor extremist views.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Are you talking about religious education? Because there are too many with decent academic backgrounds who still harbor extremist views.
The Hizbut Tahrir wankers for one...They have people everywhere. My cousin is a 1st year Chemistry student at DU and the last 6 months it's obvious that he's fallen in with the wrong crowd.

Obviously with him being at that age...simply telling him no, is going to be counter productive, so we're trying to find alternatives to keep him away from the negative influences.

This is a kid was naturally very inquisitive and open minded, yet he's fallen in line with these losers and similar entities without much of a fight.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator

I will point to the elephant in the room. Intolerance is in our culture. Our society for most part has not matured for the 21st century and still lives with an eye or an eye ethos. Gandhis famous quip on Western civilization can very aptly be turned back on us.