facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 17, 2006, 07:23 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Default Cricinfo match report: Bangladesh prove themselves a cut above Kenya

Link

Excerpts from the article:

Quote:
Javed Omar and Shahriar Nafees posted a solid rather than spectacular 92 for the first wicket before Omar fell to a controversial third-umpire decision - there was considerable doubt whether the ball carried to Steve Tikolo. His departure benefited Bangladesh as Aftab Ahmed accelerated the innings with 62 off 69 balls.
Quote:
The last quarter of a woefully one-sided contest was of interest only to the statisticians, although it gave Tanmay Mishra, an 18-year-old of real potential, some time in the middle. Bangladesh took their foot off the gas when they would have been better advised to go for the kill
Edited on, March 17, 2006, 12:24 PM GMT, by Spitfire_x86.

Old March 17, 2006, 07:26 AM
Test Cricketer

Spitfire_x86 mamu kono comment chara?

I fully agreed with them any way!
Old March 17, 2006, 07:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by istiak
I fully agreed with them any way!
This is why I didn't add any comment.

Although this part is not really true

Quote:
The whole day had a slightly surreal feel. Collins Obuya was named in the Kenyan starting XI but was replaced after one over of the match, while Habibul Bashar, Bangladesh's captain who was down to bat at No. 3, slipped quietly down the order and never made it to the middle. Perhaps he was saving himself for tougher opposition next month?
Old March 17, 2006, 08:12 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

that was pretty funny to look! even though it was sarcasm to some extent... it really goes to show ppl might just be changing their view on BD atlast.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:04 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Just a thought here about bashar not coming at that time. this would sound like a consipiracy theory, but again, I'm good at it.

why did not bashar come and sent masud? of course bashar has more shots than masud. was it because that he didn't wanted to come in during the slog overs where he can easily get out trying to hit it, that would harm his average?
Old March 17, 2006, 09:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubu
why did not bashar come and sent masud? of course bashar has more shots than masud. was it because that he didn't wanted to come in during the slog overs where he can easily get out trying to hit it, that would harm his average?
with 6 balls left...masri blazzing away.....Mashud was sent becasue he is faster in running between the wickets than habibul bashar.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:19 AM

Nice write from Martin Williamson again.
Finishing comment on Bashar was a nice and funny joke.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:28 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Even though reading between the lines too much and finding negatives in everything is what many of us are busy with ... I must appreciate two things on BD's batting Innings today:

1#_Bashars absence from the batting order could probably have something to do with his not being in full concentration due to his mother's injury. Whatever it is... I was impressed today with Bashar's attacking changes in the batting order. After the opening pair.. sending Aftab-Ash instead of himself and Rafiq-Mashrafee instead of Pilot-Alok was really great moves and it worked fine! Had bashar come to bat at #3 or #4... we could not have reached 300 today.

2#_I also want to appreciate Pilot's suicidal run-out decision in last over today. As soon as he took 1 run of the 3rd ball of 49th over.. he realized that he might not be able to hit the last 3 balls and suicided by running for the 2nd run.... and yes, it appeared to me that Pilot did that on purpose to bring Mash on strike, since Mashrafee was on full fire then and hitting every ball. Mash, in the next 3 remaining balls, hit 6+4+6 and that was the only way for BD to reach 300!

Edited on, March 17, 2006, 2:34 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubu
Bashar is not good at all in slogging. Pilot had played many fine cameos at the end of the innings in past.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:42 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Yeah, bashar not been 100% mentally fit for his mom's condition is the most plausible answer.

The only sorrow of the day for me, SN did not get a century. I was so ready for that one. btw, have anyone seen his average after that innings?

its 34.09 after 11 innings. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Edited on, March 17, 2006, 2:45 PM GMT, by Rubu.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:44 AM
Cricket Legend

For Bashar not batting makes no sense. Are they taking Kenya lightly as an opponent? How come Alok bats instead of Bashar.
Old March 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

WE ARE NOT TAKING KENYA LIGHTLY. If we were 3 wickets down for only 50 odd runs after 15 overs or so, Bashar would have come in for sure. But since our 3 wickets fell after around 30 overs or so, that's why I think Whatmore it is (not Bashar) who made all the batting-line up changes, and unlike the rest of the times, this time, it worked today.

What can you say, the day was ours, today!

In reply to Ahmed_B's 1st point in the above post, I don't think it was Bashar who made all those changes, it has to be Dav Whatmore, the coach himself. Only he makes changes like that - bringing in Rafique as early as he did today. I've seen it before. Only the last times, it didn't work, because our opponent was somebody like Sri Lanka or India. This time, our opponent was Kenya - whose bowling Rafique loves the most (his 77 the best in his career - against Kenya).
Old March 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally posted by allrounder
For Bashar not batting makes no sense. Are they taking Kenya lightly as an opponent? How come Alok bats instead of Bashar.
its more situation oriented...
During the end of the game... big hitters are sent in more often that genuine batsmen... look at Aussie Innings of 434... Lee batted ahead of Damien Martyn! Two reasons: faster runner... bigger hitter of the ball.