facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 6, 2005, 12:10 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Bangladeshi Cricket : A Sri Lankan\'s view

I know you guys are keen followers of Bangladeshi Cricket and there's tremendous following over there. But let me try to cut the Ooos and Ahhhas and the general adulations of Bangladeshi Cricket and get to some points that all should ponder before passing judgement on your team.

You are a young team and there's a long way to go. This is a fact. One sporadic win over Australia won't make you all match winners despite Whatmore's continuous bragging about beating SL. (no wonder he was kicked out by SL)

A team rises due to its nation's collective Cricketing experience rather than the experience of its current team. For instance, a youngster of 20 (like Lasith Malinga) starts many years ahead of an equivalent Bangladeshi bowler simply because his mindset is that of a SL player.

Talent alone WON'T win matches. Its far better to have 10% talent and 90% professional application than vise versa. Some Bangladeshi Cricketers are indeed talented but lack professional skills to perform under pressure. They HAVE to learn to perform under pressure.

Bangladeshi Cricketers are also mentally very weak. A single player like Kumar Sangakkara can bring down the entire Bangladeshi team with just a comment or two. Even the Indians are mentally very weak compared to Sri Lankans who are a very tough unit when playing mind games. May be if Bangladesh produces another Arjuna he will transform the team. For instance, if Kumar Sangakkara or Mahela is asked to lead your present team you will see a complete transformation. Its all to do with mindset.

At present Bangladeshis are easily intimidated. Even SL was like that years ago until that controversial tour to Australia that brought out the best of SL. Since then even youngsters have become clones of Arjuna; ever willing to get under the skin of the opposition. Off field, SL players are very nice and friendly but on field they are ruthless. Kumar, Mahela, Murali, Vaas, Chandana, Dilshan can be mean, ruthless and aggressive. That's why the Aussies never try to muck around with SL anymore. These traits help build confidence which help win matches.

This is NOT a criticism of the Bangladesh, but just my honest observations from the perspective of a Sri Lankan. I hope you guys will take it in the spirit it was intended.

All the best!
Rohitha

Old September 6, 2005, 12:20 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Rohitha, Welcome to banglacricket.Hope you have a good time here.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Thanks. We know what we are and since cricket is the only success in international sports arena for BD we are little ambitious about what we can currently produce. But one day we will. I am not too sure about SL players transforming the BD team. But I like your confidence. We need that from you. It is pity that you guys had to "kick" out DW. I think he is the one who transformed SL cricket. Hey that man deserves RESPECT. Don't forget he is the coach of Bangladesh team. He deserves the same respect as Mr. Moody would in your case. Correct?

I am sure you know our feelings better than any one else. I remember when SL soccer team used to visit us and most certainly loose all their matches. I remember they were trounced by one local club by a dozen of goals. This makes me believe how sincere your comments are. Thanks again my friend. I know your feelings as you know ours.

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 5:33 AM GMT, by zia.

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 5:34 AM GMT, by zia.
Reason: spelling error

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 5:35 AM GMT, by zia.
Reason: redundant word
Old September 6, 2005, 12:35 AM
Street Cricketer

Dave was fantastic back in 1995/96. Later he got involved I believe in some business ventures here and became very complacent as coach. SL's performance nose-dived by 99/2000. He HAD to go for sure.
Old September 6, 2005, 03:24 AM

Nice observation on BD team. Most of our members will agree with you on lack of our captaincy and leadership. We also realize that we have a huge problem with professional application ( both players and management ). We have lack of confidence because we cant perform consistent, and again we cant perform consistent because we have lack of confidence. Looks like we are going through an endless circle for quite a long time. I think the management or the coach must have something to do with this situation, but seems like they are failing so far. As you said, we need a figure player first, who can lead our team with his consistent performance, responsibility and commitment. Unfortunately, there is no sign of such a player in our team yet, Hope Shahariar Nafees can make up himself as a leading example.
Old September 6, 2005, 03:30 AM
Cricket Legend

thanks rohita for a fantastic observation. I fully agree with you. Unfortunately there is no Arjuna in Bangaldesh case at present. We are waiting for our Arjuna.
Old September 6, 2005, 03:56 AM
Street Cricketer

One more thing. BD players (at least 1 or 2) must start showing a bit of arrogance and attitude. I can remember Arjuna saying way back before 1996 that Shane Warne was an overated bowler. That annoyed Warne no end. In the end Arjuna won because Warne was smashed around in the WC.

To develop an attitude BD players must learn the language of attitude ; English - without which nothing can be done. See Kumar Sangakkara? Why is he better than most SL players? One reason is his attitiude and his command of the English language. The guy oozes with confidence and gives fantastic interviews. All those things help build charcter,reputation and recognition. You cannot hob nob with the Aussies, POMS and the S.Africans without speaking good English.

Despite Kumar Sangakkara being bit fo a mean guy, everyone loves him including the Aussies.
Old September 6, 2005, 04:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rohitha
One more thing. BD players (at least 1 or 2) must start showing a bit of arrogance and attitude. I can remember Arjuna saying way back before 1996 that Shane Warne was an overated bowler. That annoyed Warne no end. In the end Arjuna won because Warne was smashed around in the WC.

To develop an attitude BD players must learn the language of attitude ; English - without which nothing can be done. See Kumar Sangakkara? Why is he better than most SL players? One reason is his attitiude and his command of the English language. The guy oozes with confidence and gives fantastic interviews. All those things help build charcter,reputation and recognition. You cannot hob nob with the Aussies, POMS and the S.Africans without speaking good English.

Despite Kumar Sangakkara being bit fo a mean guy, everyone loves him including the Aussies.
Yeah, Kumar's English is indeed excellent as we saw at the Afro-Asia cup, but I thought the whole Sri Lankan team more or less spoke good English?
Old September 6, 2005, 05:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

i agree most of the things you said in your thread but i don't agree with the above post.
is this your own opinion? what convince you to say that English is the language of attitude? have you ever met a french or german? how many olympic gold medalist speaks english?
attitude comes along with education and skills regardless of any particular language.
the bottom line is we are one of the poorer country with low literate population and the consequences could be observed in every aspects of the life- health, sports, technology, etc.
because of that we are so over influenced by dominating countries in respective areas e.g. in cricket- australia. and yet again you come here give us your own peculiar theory of language of attitude.
anyway thanks for your thread which gives us some food for thoughts.

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 10:59 AM GMT, by banglar_dorbesh.
Old September 6, 2005, 05:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

yeah i agree with you man, our bangladeshi players need to learn good english, out of everyone khaled mashud used to speak good english when he was captain, but now its basher and i saw him in england and still hasnt learnt that much.
Old September 6, 2005, 05:57 AM
Banned

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 10:58 AM GMT, by banglar_dorbesh.
Reason: duplicate post
Old September 6, 2005, 06:25 AM
Club Cricketer

[quote]Originally posted by 6ALLTHEWAY

out of everyone khaled mashud used to speak good english when he was captain.

Are you sure about that?
or did you mean to say Khaled Mahmud, who i think has a reasonable command of the English language.
Khaled Mashud used to have me in stitches everytime he spoke.
He used to start a sentence, say a couple of words and then start mumbling before finishing his sentence.
What was hilarious was the way he used to say it and finish with a cheeky grin.
Old September 6, 2005, 06:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

[quote]Originally posted by deshpremi
Quote:
Originally posted by 6ALLTHEWAY

out of everyone khaled mashud used to speak good english when he was captain.

Are you sure about that?
or did you mean to say Khaled Mahmud, who i think has a reasonable command of the English language.
Khaled Mashud used to have me in stitches everytime he spoke.
He used to start a sentence, say a couple of words and then start mumbling before finishing his sentence.
What was hilarious was the way he used to say it and finish with a cheeky grin.
lolz i dont know who it was then but i know that someone in our BD team did speak good english, that was in 1999 world cup i think, so yeah it may of been Khaled Mahmud
Old September 6, 2005, 07:13 AM
Street Cricketer

The fact is English is the language of Cricket -whether we like it or not. Its not like Soccer. The ICC is also administered in English. When I said attitude, I meant attutude pertainig to Cricket. Of course speaking English alone won't make you a star, but all these little things help as you are able to communicate with other international players and read their autobiographies to get an insight to the game of Cricket.
Old September 6, 2005, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
The fact is English is the language of Cricket -whether we like it or not. Its not like Soccer. The ICC is also administered in English. When I said attitude, I meant attutude pertainig to Cricket. Of course speaking English alone won't make you a star, but all these little things help as you are able to communicate with other international players and read their autobiographies to get an insight to the game of Cricket.
i wonder how pakistani captain inzamam is carrying out his captaincy!
Old September 6, 2005, 08:38 AM
Test Cricketer

rohitha - You may find that a lot of people on here don't agree with those types of tactics (sledging etc). It's hard to show attitude without being able to back it up with decent performances, especially to teams that are so much better. You may find though, that the Bangladeshis attitude to Kenya and Zimb is very different.

BTW, someone told me that SL doesn't have a proper domestic cricket structure. And that there is just the one main cricket academy that churns out most of the players that are in the international team. Is that true? Google is vague on this matter.
Old September 6, 2005, 08:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Good observations rohitha... and welcome to the board.

After you will have spent a few days of time on this board, I think you will find out that BD cricket fans will agree with most of your observations. Bangladesh is a cricket crazy nation, no doubt... but in general, our fans do a lot of self-criticism also and most of the times they do get it right.

And yes.. BD team is still not proffessionally or mentally very strong and they havn't yet learned the Attitude you are talking about. But this is a team which is playing with the Test nations regularly since only the last 5 years. I am hopefull that they will get only stronger with time.

Personally I am a big fan of the 'Team SriLanka' that you mentioned. They have higher team spirit than many other Test-Nations. Since you mentioned something about Whatmore being cicket out of SL.. isn't he the man responsible for Bringing up the High team sprit of SL? Or do you SriLankans view this rise as an output of Leaderships by Ranatunga/De Silva?

Just a curiosity.

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 1:46 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.
Reason: Typo
Old September 6, 2005, 08:58 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Great observation! Thank you for the insight. Feedback always help to realize what to do for the future.
Quote:
Talent alone WON'T win matches. Its far better to have 10% talent and 90% professional application than vise versa. Some Bangladeshi Cricketers are indeed talented but lack professional skills to perform under pressure. They HAVE to learn to perform under pressure.
Rohitha
This is so true. But some of us don't realise this. Thats why we post threads of replacing Javed Omar, who is less talented but one of the better professionals in the team. The entire middle order of our team is 90% talent (potential) and 10% professional. So we wait every 9 games to see one game that brings a win.
Old September 6, 2005, 10:15 AM
Club Cricketer

professionalism, and observation is the key. Bangladesh need to be inspired, fair enough we have no-one to look up to in cricketing terms, in any sports terms, but there are other players to look up to, gough (short in stature like bangladeshis but at his peak one of the best fast bowlers in the world) the Pakistani greats and ironically enough the Sri Lankan team, on how they were new to the cricketing world and developed within the last 20-15 years.
One thing to note, Sri Lanka....came with a bang into the cricket world already with WORLD CLASS players...de Silva, Jaya., Ranatunga, Murli, etc. Zimbabwe are an old cricketing nation, they seem new because they were banned for political problems but came back, so they always were gonna be able to adapt. Bangladesh have No world class players and dont have a long history in cricket as Zimbabwe, Bangla. started in the late 70s, whereas Zimbabwe were playing way before then.

Whatever the reasons, some changes,or extra coaches, psychological, etc (even take a leaf out of football, in terms of psychologists, Mourinho, etc), some time and a few more lucky wins, Bangladesh will be a force to reckon with inshallah....fingers crossed
Old September 6, 2005, 11:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Rohitha,

that was a great article.

i am sure you would have enjoyed ashraful scowling and glaring at the Aussie players in the natwest. i am sure that is mental attitude you are looking for!
Old September 6, 2005, 11:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally posted by al Furqaan
i am sure you would have enjoyed ashraful scowling and glaring at the Aussie players in the natwest. i am sure that is mental attitude you are looking for!
So some of our boys have the mental attitude. All we need is consistency. Otherwise the attitude has no value and will evaporate.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:01 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any consistent performer

You are right! Clive Lloyed learnt this the hard way from the Aussies.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:25 PM
Club Cricketer

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 5:25 PM GMT, by nas.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:31 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by al Furqaan
Asharful!! I saw him in the Sky TV after the game. He had nothing coherent to say in response to a simple question. The commenter said something like "he had not much to say but he did his talking with the bat"

I do not know if command of English is a must but one needs to be able to express himself in any language he is comfortable with. I have seen many Bangla interviews and some of them made no sense!
Old September 6, 2005, 12:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Its more or less the mindset. Often in cricket or other sports, theres a very fine line between statements that are confident and those that are just hot air.
The latter often makes the player look like a fool, Shoaib and more recently Hayden made arrogant statements and were made to eat their words after that.