facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 31, 2007, 05:43 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Cricket tutorial

I am opening this thread to make members more educated about cricket as a whole. I am not at all an expert, but I will try to give some insight into some basic stuff like field positions, types of bowling, shots, dismissals etc. etc.

I also welcome inputs from other members to make us more educated which will definitely help to enjoy the game in a better way.

Members who are new to the world of cricket can also post questions, and I am quite sure some of the old members will be able to answer them.

Disclaimer : None of the images or informations are created by me, they are all taken from different websites. Wikipedia, Cricketscorlive and Cricinfo

Here comes few basic stuff.

1. Field placements : This image shows the basic fieldingpositions for a right handed batsman.

And here's the possible types of dismissals

Ways to get out

Laws 30 to 39 discuss the various ways a batsman may be dismissed. In addition to these 10 methods, a batsman may retire out. That provision is in Law 2.
  • Law 30: Bowled. A batsman is out if his wicket is put down by a ball delivered by the bowler. It is irrelevant whether the ball has touched the bat, glove, or any part of the batsman before going on to put down the wicket, though it may not touch another player or an umpire before doing so.
  • Law 31: Timed out. An incoming batsman must be ready to face a ball (or be at the crease with his partner ready to face a ball) within 3 minutes of the outgoing batsman being dismissed, otherwise the incoming batsman will be out.
  • Law 32: Caught. If a ball hits the bat or the hand holding the bat and is then caught by the opposition within the field of play before the ball bounces, then the batsman is out.
  • Law 33: Handled the ball. If a batsman wilfully handles the ball with a hand that is not touching the bat without the consent of the opposition, he is out.
  • Law 34: Hit the ball twice. If a batsman hits the ball twice other than for the purposes of protecting his wicket or with the consent of the opposition, he is out.
  • Law 35: Hit wicket. If, after the bowler has entered his delivery stride and while the ball is in play, a batsman puts his wicket down by his bat or his person. The striker is also out hit wicket if he puts his wicket down by his bat or his person in setting off for a first run. "Person" includes the clothes and equipment of the batsman.
  • Law 36: Leg before wicket. If the ball hits the batsman without first hitting the bat, but would have hit the wicket if the batsman was not there, and the ball does not pitch on the leg side of the wicket the batsman will be out. However, if the ball strikes the batsman outside the line of the off-stump, and the batsman was attempting to play a stroke, he is not out.
  • Law 37: Obstructing the field. If a batsman wilfully obstructs the opposition by word or action, he is out.
  • Law 38: Run out. A batsman is out if at any time while the ball is in play no part of his bat or person is grounded behind the popping crease and his wicket is fairly put down by the opposing side.
  • Law 39: Stumped. A batsman is out when the wicket-keeper (see Law 40) puts down the wicket, while the batsman is out of his crease and not attempting a run.
Here's a bit details about the pitch

I will post some other info, if the members like this tutorial.

Last edited by Miraz; May 31, 2007 at 08:37 AM..