facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 6, 2013, 05:57 AM
Banned

Default What is with the gaga over pakistanis?

I have been hearing a lot of comments like: "Without pakistanis, the BPL will surely fail"

I agree that it is true to a certain extent but the only ones to be blamed is the BPL organizers and franchise owners. Had all the money had been cleared, i am pretty sure that veterans like gibbs, styris, murali, hogg would have come back to play in BPL, while many other prospects like jesse ryder, colin ingram, de lange, lumb would have put their had up for playing in BPL and so the owners would have a lot more options.

Another thing i dont understand is why the owners are investing so much on unknown pakistani players like azeem ghumman, zulfiqur babar, when players like trego, nannes, yasir arafat, cameron borgas were unsold?

If Pakistan players dont play, then let the BPL fail. Everyone involved are to be blamed and they deserve it.

Old January 6, 2013, 06:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I am with you. The main reason I think the sponsors who are patronized by financially strong groups of business tycoons who in a large extent are huge fans of Pak cricket for a long time. Their enthusiasm to watch Pak players with the huge market interest from a good number of female fans make this more favorable to play as many Pak players possible.

Aside from that you can add the political views of such people as a minor ingredient to instill the passion. With all that said, you are quiet right about choosing players from different teams and the payment factor.
Old January 6, 2013, 07:04 AM
Banned

The Increased financial benefits from TV Viewership and Future sponsors.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

BD is a good market for them. PCB was never in a position to burgain a tour for BPL. Lota knew this from the start, so he keeps promising false hope to Zaka and this whole issue is dragged upto here. Both tried to use each other there, had their fun. Time to move on. Despite the drama with the tour over Pakistan, I'll still consider them as friendlier cricket board than others towards Bangladesh. Few points are fact here-
  • Overall Pakistani players are cheap
  • A good number tv viewers in foreign there, who aint happy to watch only one (Azhar Mahmood) of their representatives in IPL.
  • Better t20 player than others
  • In general BD supporters are more devoted towards Muslim performers (known/uknown)
  • BCB is always more caring to them in terms of 1st to be served for like payment and such.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricheart
BD is a good market for them. PCB was never in a position to burgain a tour for BPL. Lota knew this from the start, so he keeps promising false hope to Zaka and this whole issue is dragged upto here. Both tried to use each other there, had their fun. Time to move on. Despite the drama with the tour over Pakistan, I'll still consider them as friendlier cricket board than others towards Bangladesh. Few points are fact here-
  • Overall Pakistani players are cheap
  • A good number tv viewers in foreign there, who aint happy to watch only one (Azhar Mahmood) of their representatives in IPL.
  • Better t20 player than others
  • In general BD supporters are more devoted towards Muslim performers (known/uknown)
  • BCB is always more caring to them in terms of 1st to be served for like payment and such.
Good point. But i think we are ignoring other foreign players like trego, chanderpaul, mascarenhas, nannes who can be quite useful
Old January 6, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

These leagues are just like eye catchers, at the end of the day i wonder if win does matter more than just a win, the owners who finance the teams looks at it just like their other odd businesses, if you can get the celebs in your game you can earn more than if you win. as ssaid earlier pakistani players are a combo of both fan catcher and match winner.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
These leagues are just like eye catchers, at the end of the day i wonder if win does matter more than just a win, the owners who finance the teams looks at it just like their other odd businesses, if you can get the celebs in your game you can earn more than if you win. as ssaid earlier pakistani players are a combo of both fan catcher and match winner.
true that, but if you want to do good business you need to have a good team as well. Dhaka has just 1 pakistani players, CTG,rajshahi and sylhet has just 3. Rangpur and Khulna are overloaded with pakistanis. They should have added players from australia/england who would have added to the quality of the teams

to be honest, everyone of my friends and myself, have no interest to go to Khulna and rangpur games because they are crap. With such weak sides you dont expect them to win many.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:56 PM
Cricket Legend

T20 Domestic is first about business, then image and lastly skill.
Bangladeshi spectators love to see Pakistani batsmen - that is the truth.
The ability to have crowd-pullers is good for business. Plus they have skill. And plus they have the image.

Don't let jingoism come between yourself and the truth. People can bury their head in the sand - but the truth is "Pakistani Players are good for Business in Bangladesh."
Old January 6, 2013, 05:03 PM
Cricket Legend

"gibbs, styris, murali, hogg would have come back to play in BPL" ...
what? Who cares in the 98% who go to watch at stadiums in Bangladesh about these people? I mean 98% of country can relate to Pakistanis better than these people with whom you cannot relate to at a human level.

Don't be one of the 2% and resort to Cricketing Intellectualism and say oh I know these guys and the rest of the Country follows. Nope - the masses do not even care who Hogg is - but they sure know who Afridi is.

Resorting to names of "westerners" (as per the Bangladeshi 98% point of view) is cricketing intellectualism - good for the scholarly articles - but not for the box-office.

And SL cricket was never "sexy" - Pakistan cricket is and was - relate-able - skilled - and yes damn good showmanship.

"Let the BPL Fail" - if that is the premise - then why bother at all? Profit = Returns-Investment. Simple.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Agree with zedsayeed.

As I always maintained. Cricket is a family sport. Let the kids watch it for fun and have a diversion as an outlet. Mixing politics WITH ANYTHING is a BAD IDEA imo.

I for one didn't watch India-Pakistan because my star player Sehwag wasn't playing. Now will my support for Sehwag diminish because of border issues? No. That's a different subject altogether and focus must be drawn there instead of red herring outcry.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Moral of the story: Ordinary fans don't care about quality.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

I remember Ahmed Shehzad....when he opened with Gayle for BB...
Old January 7, 2013, 01:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Agree with zedsayeed.

As I always maintained. Cricket is a family sport. Let the kids watch it for fun and have a diversion as an outlet. .
Cricket is no more a family sport brother, at least not if you are sitting in front of TV to watch the game, where in between you get the crappiest of adds. The other day i was watching ind vs pak game in star sports with family and there came the add where a girl pulls of the clothes to naked of his so called father in law due to AXE effect. Ridiculous!!
Old January 7, 2013, 04:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Cricket is no more a family sport brother, at least not if you are sitting in front of TV to watch the game, where in between you get the crappiest of adds. The other day i was watching ind vs pak game in star sports with family and there came the add where a girl pulls of the clothes to naked of his so called father in law due to AXE effect. Ridiculous!!
Dude.. thats a different issue all together, right? Or you were joking and I iddnt get it? in that case,, shame on me..
Old January 7, 2013, 04:06 PM
Cricket Legend

The reason Pakistani players are here is because the've been here for many many years.. organizers find it easier to communicate with them, they are cheap, low maintenance, don't demand much ( other than booz and ) and starving for exposure to play leagues at other nationals. And yes, Bangladeshi average spectators can relate with a Kakmal more than a Hogg!! Give Kakmal 20K, he will play even at Syhlet league and will travel via Tisha Poribohon to join.. That aint happening with Hogg, Tait, like players..
Old January 7, 2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
The reason Pakistani players are here is because the've been here for many many years.. organizers find it easier to communicate with them, they are cheap, low maintenance, don't demand much ( other than booz and ) and starving for exposure to play leagues at other nationals. And yes, Bangladeshi average spectators can relate with a Kakmal more than a Hogg!! Give Kakmal 20K, he will play even at Syhlet league and will travel via Tisha Poribohon to join.. That aint happening with Hogg, Tait, like players..
Tait is playing BPL, and in DPL i have seen decent players take part.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Agreed. Is that the one where the go: Boom chaka chaka?? Ridiculous...
Old January 7, 2013, 04:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlafan
He is.. My point was Pakistani players are more accessible and inexpensive to the organizers/players than a Tait/Hogg/Wright..
Old January 8, 2013, 04:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlafan
If memory serves me right, guys like Vander merwe came over. Id like to see aaron finch and botha come over as well
Old January 8, 2013, 05:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainBD
If memory serves me right, guys like Vander merwe came over. Id like to see aaron finch and botha come over as well
Highly doubt Finch and Botha would ever come to play in the DPL. Finch will destroy everything. He is an absolute gun batsmen and he is in the form of his life right now. But we never know, he might struggle against good spinners.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Highly doubt Finch and Botha would ever come to play in the DPL. Finch will destroy everything. He is an absolute gun batsmen and he is in the form of his life right now. But we never know, he might struggle against good spinners.
I think he played at Chittagong's T20 (PCL); and I think he did have a short stint at Dhaka League too..
Old January 8, 2013, 06:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
I think he played at Chittagong's T20 (PCL); and I think he did have a short stint at Dhaka League too..
Really? I didnt know that. Which year did he play in the DPL?
Old January 9, 2013, 05:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Are these adds only for cricket ? I think they are generally aired over many channels.... That way, entire television is no more a family entertainment.....

Ahh, There was a time when family members used to change channels or switch of with advertisements/ zingles of Maya Bori or Raja Condom... those days are over...so families are adjusting..... Or have multiple TVs ..