facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old April 7, 2018, 01:35 PM
Night_wolf's Avatar
Night_wolf Night_wolf is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 30, 2010
Favorite Player: Mash
Posts: 19,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
no wonder you got rejected from uni. too bad billionaire dollars cant help with knowledge.
unis and girls making the right decisons
__________________
I have given up on Bangladesh cricket. I refuse to forget every pain Bangladesh cricket team has brought after a win here and there
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old April 7, 2018, 01:42 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,079

Here's a fun trivia: Bangla is the official language in Bangladesh, India, and one other country. Can any one guess without looking it up? (hint: It's not England).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old April 7, 2018, 01:50 PM
Night_wolf's Avatar
Night_wolf Night_wolf is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 30, 2010
Favorite Player: Mash
Posts: 19,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Here's a fun trivia: Bangla is the official language in Bangladesh, India, and one other country. Can any one guess without looking it up? (hint: It's not England).
cant name the country but its one of the countries that our military is/was working as part of the UN peace mission...somewhere in africa I guess
__________________
I have given up on Bangladesh cricket. I refuse to forget every pain Bangladesh cricket team has brought after a win here and there
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old April 7, 2018, 01:54 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
cant name the country but its one of the countries that our military is/was working as part of the UN peace mission...somewhere in africa I guess
yup Sierra Sunny Leone. It was a gesture of thanks after Bangladeshi peacekeeping soldiers helped rebuild the country after their war.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old April 7, 2018, 08:24 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 4,885

Nightwolf, they are all part of Indo-Aryan languages, ain't it?

Just notice how counting 1 to 10 is so similar across all languages in the world.

These things stop being fascinating when you remind yourself that we are all one. All started from Africa and migrated to elsewhere.
__________________
#PrivatizeBCB
#PrivatizeBFF
The end of Rahim will mark a new great beginning for the complacency free Bangladesh!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old April 7, 2018, 09:10 PM
Rifat's Avatar
Rifat Rifat is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: March 30, 2007
Location: Connecticut
Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi
Posts: 15,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
I found similarities between some Bangla and Arabic words. Off the top of my head I can think of these Arabic words that are very close to what we use in Bangla - Batil, Khabais, Fakir. I came across more in the past, I can’t remember right now.

What’s the link between Farsi and Arabic? Which is older?
Qalam - (Kolom) i.e. pen
Wakil - (Ukeel) i.e. Lawyer

Namaaz is actually a persian word. that's why Bangladeshis call it namaaz.

Bangla, as a language is a mesh of quite a few different languages, Mostly Sankrit. Grammar most probably comes from Sanskrit. A lot of Vocabulary are imported from Farsi and Arabic.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old April 7, 2018, 09:12 PM
Night_wolf's Avatar
Night_wolf Night_wolf is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 30, 2010
Favorite Player: Mash
Posts: 19,679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Qalam - (Kolom) i.e. pen
Wakil - (Ukeel) i.e. Lawyer

Namaaz is actually a persian word. that's why Bangladeshis call it namaaz.

Bangla, as a language is a mesh of quite a few different languages, Mostly Sankrit. Grammar most probably comes from Sanskrit. A lot of Vocabulary are imported from Farsi and Arabic.
yeah our language is a mesh of different languages. we have words from Farsi,English,Arabic,hindi etc. Thats why in the OP I said I dont know if the guys in that video handpicked the words to sound similar
__________________
I have given up on Bangladesh cricket. I refuse to forget every pain Bangladesh cricket team has brought after a win here and there
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old April 7, 2018, 10:45 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 24,188

Yeah they handpicked the words. I just saw this video a few weeks ago.

Even Sanskrit and Persian are related languages although not as closely related as Bangla and Hindi or Persian and Kurdish.

The following Persian and Bangla words are more or less identical:

kishmish (raisin)
mehman (guest)
aynah (mirror)
khobor (news)

I'm sure there's many more.
__________________
Bangladesh: Our Dream, Our Joy, Our Team

#OneTeam1Dream
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old April 8, 2018, 06:48 AM
bangla-red's Avatar
bangla-red bangla-red is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 3, 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,042

Interesting video, I managed to learn a few more shared bits of vocabulary from it. Yesterday I learnt the word সিন্দুক, which is from the Arabic صُنْدوق (via Persian). A lot of words of originally Arabic origin have come into Bangla through Persian, which is reflected by certain changes in pronunciation. For example, the w in Jawwad becoming a v in জাভেদ, which occurred first in Persian. Another word I've learnt recently is বকশিশ, which is from Turkish originally (not sure how it reached Bangla, could have been directly or through Arabic and Persian) and is used in Egyptian Arabic (بَكشيش). Learning a bit of Hindi really helped me to get an idea of the origin of Bangla vocabulary because their lexicon has more Arabic/Persian influence than ours.

By the way, what's wrong with this guy's Bangla? Is it just me or is he pronouncing everything incorrectly? naarkel, poshondo... I was really confused by that.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old April 8, 2018, 08:27 AM
bujhee kom's Avatar
bujhee kom bujhee kom is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 27, 2007
Location: Dhaka Mental Hospital
Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello
Posts: 25,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla-red
...

By the way, what's wrong with this guy's Bangla? Is it just me or is he pronouncing everything incorrectly? naarkel, poshondo... I was really confused by that.
Ohh, so good to see you posting again after a long long time, my dearest dearest bangla-red Liverpool FC.

Now regarding your confusion, question: I myself was even more confused, you mean his is bhai? I thought she was an apu with a slight husky voice!! Ohh, I correct myself.

Now, listening to him more carefully, I don't think he is a Bangal. I think he is a Ghoti ( I mean dadababu, not a miah-bhai), that's why he talks like that.
__________________
God bless Ingrid Newkirk, Dianne Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand & Mitch Landrieu!
twitter.com/bujheekom
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old April 8, 2018, 08:32 AM
bujhee kom's Avatar
bujhee kom bujhee kom is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 27, 2007
Location: Dhaka Mental Hospital
Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello
Posts: 25,000

I will take this oppoirtunity to say this,
BY the way guys, many a times I said this, my name is Zaved...not Javed.
Like as in Zaved Mahmood.... not Javed Miandaad.

Please call me bk, zaved or harami or haramjada...please don't call me javed
__________________
God bless Ingrid Newkirk, Dianne Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand & Mitch Landrieu!
twitter.com/bujheekom
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old April 8, 2018, 09:21 AM
bangla-red's Avatar
bangla-red bangla-red is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 3, 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Ohh, so good to see you posting again after a long long time, my dearest dearest bangla-red Liverpool FC.

Now regarding your confusion, question: I myself was even more confused, you mean his is bhai? I thought she was an apu with a slight husky voice!! Ohh, I correct myself.

Now, listening to him more carefully, I don't think he is a Bangal. I think he is a Ghoti ( I mean dadababu, not a miah-bhai), that's why he talks like that.
Hi bhaiya, good to hear from you. This is exactly the sort of topic that I love so it made me bother to log in for once and make a comment.

Even the way he said his name was very dodgy, Akaaaaaash. Very strange to me. A few more Persian words that have occurred to me are khub and kharap. It's possible that shoptah is also of Persian origin (just guessing because hafta is the original word, and it's the same in Hindi).
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old April 8, 2018, 11:13 AM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 7,709

I think zaved is also a very persian name.
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old April 8, 2018, 12:45 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla-red
Interesting video, I managed to learn a few more shared bits of vocabulary from it. Yesterday I learnt the word সিন্দুক, which is from the Arabic صُنْدوق (via Persian). A lot of words of originally Arabic origin have come into Bangla through Persian, which is reflected by certain changes in pronunciation. For example, the w in Jawwad becoming a v in জাভেদ, which occurred first in Persian. Another word I've learnt recently is বকশিশ, which is from Turkish originally (not sure how it reached Bangla, could have been directly or through Arabic and Persian) and is used in Egyptian Arabic (بَكشيش). Learning a bit of Hindi really helped me to get an idea of the origin of Bangla vocabulary because their lexicon has more Arabic/Persian influence than ours.

By the way, what's wrong with this guy's Bangla? Is it just me or is he pronouncing everything incorrectly? naarkel, poshondo... I was really confused by that.
Interesting post.

There is a strong arab and persian influx/ migration to the subcontinent, so it's only natural. Even today, there are groups in India with the surname "Irani." General Jacob, as most of you probably already know, was a Baghdadi Jew.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old April 8, 2018, 12:52 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
Now regarding your confusion, question: I myself was even more confused, you mean his is bhai? I thought she was an apu with a slight husky voice!! Ohh, I correct myself.

Now, listening to him more carefully, I don't think he is a Bangal. I think he is a Ghoti ( I mean dadababu, not a miah-bhai), that's why he talks like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla-red
Even the way he said his name was very dodgy, Akaaaaaash. Very strange to me. A few more Persian words that have occurred to me are khub and kharap. It's possible that shoptah is also of Persian origin (just guessing because hafta is the original word, and it's the same in Hindi).
He is just an American/Candian born Bengali. You develop that accent when Bangla is your second language. Also, he definitely was playing up the similarities between the words.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old April 8, 2018, 01:37 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 24,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla-red
Hi bhaiya, good to hear from you. This is exactly the sort of topic that I love so it made me bother to log in for once and make a comment.

Even the way he said his name was very dodgy, Akaaaaaash. Very strange to me. A few more Persian words that have occurred to me are khub and kharap. It's possible that shoptah is also of Persian origin (just guessing because hafta is the original word, and it's the same in Hindi).
Hafta is also Sylheti for week.

Farsi and Urdu both say 'goftagoo' for chatting and Sylheti and Chatgayya use 'gof' as chatting.

Sylheti word for fever is 'taff' and Farsi it is 'tebb'. Other farsi dialects it might be 'taff' or 'teff' I think.
__________________
Bangladesh: Our Dream, Our Joy, Our Team

#OneTeam1Dream
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old April 8, 2018, 03:12 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 7,709

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Hafta is also Sylheti for week.

Farsi and Urdu both say 'goftagoo' for chatting and Sylheti and Chatgayya use 'gof' as chatting.

Sylheti word for fever is 'taff' and Farsi it is 'tebb'. Other farsi dialects it might be 'taff' or 'teff' I think.
Stop trying to connect Farsi and sylethi lol.

Other Bengali dialects also say hopta/hofta and other variation.

Gof is gop. As in golpo to gop to gof.

Taaf is taap. As in heat/temperature or fever.

Sylethi dialect changes p to f
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old April 8, 2018, 03:17 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02

Sylethi dialect changes p to f
hmm wonder what they call a puck?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old April 8, 2018, 04:03 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 7,709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
hmm wonder what they call a puck?
Puck isn’t a bangla word (unless you mean pak ; clean OR paak ; to cook) so not sure how they pronounce it.

But let’s say paikhana will be pronounced as faikhhhana. The kh is also emphasized a bit more.

Meanwhile in borishal, p is mostly changed to h.

Now I wonder if paikhana is also Farsi. It does have “khana” which may indicate Farsi Arab roots and the Sanskrit word for that is “mol”

nw/Bk bhai any thought?
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old April 8, 2018, 07:41 PM
icricket's Avatar
icricket icricket is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 26, 2015
Favorite Player: BD Players, Starc, Waqar
Posts: 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
yup Sierra Sunny Leone. It was a gesture of thanks after Bangladeshi peacekeeping soldiers helped rebuild the country after their war.
Wow, thanks. Did not know about it.

-----

I went to school with a lot of Iranian. But other than khoda hafiz, and a very few other words, I did not understand anything Farsi.
__________________
It always seems impossible until it's done
"Oh Allah! Forgive us, Have Mercy on us, Grant us Safety, Guide us, and Provide us with Sustenance." - Allahumma Ameen
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old April 8, 2018, 08:24 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
just saw this video. I dont know if these guys handpicked words that are similar for the sake of the video, but the similarity is uncanny. I always thought Bangla and Hindi both came from Sangskrit thats why these two languages are similar but where did persian came from!

hmm i heard that after the video, he asked her "tomar phone number ki?"
and she replied "no sorry, not similar to Persian, dont understand"
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old April 8, 2018, 08:42 PM
Yankees Yankees is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 10, 2017
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz
Posts: 3,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Puck isn’t a bangla word (unless you mean pak ; clean OR paak ; to cook) so not sure how they pronounce it.

But let’s say paikhana will be pronounced as faikhhhana. The kh is also emphasized a bit more.

Meanwhile in borishal, p is mostly changed to h.

Now I wonder if paikhana is also Farsi. It does have “khana” which may indicate Farsi Arab roots and the Sanskrit word for that is “mol”

nw/Bk bhai any thought?
This is interesting. So I came across this on wiki on different bengali dialects, similar to what you're saying:

English translation: "A man had two sons." (M=male indicated i.e. A man had two sons, P= person indicated, without gender, i.e. A person had two sons)

Bengali Shadhubhasha: "æk bektir duiṭi putrô chhilô." (P)

Nadia/Choltibhasha Standard: æk jon loker duţi chhele chhilo. (M)
Kolkata: æk jon loker duţo chhele chhilo. (M)

Eastern Dialects
Manikganj: æk zoner duiđi saoal asilo. (P)
Mymensingh: æk zôner dui put asilo. (P)
Munshiganj (Bikrampur): æk jôner duiđa pola asilo. (P)
Comilla: æk bæđar/zôner dui put asilo. (P)
Noakhali (Sandwip): æk jôner dui beţa asilo.
Noakhali (Feni): æk zôner dui hola asilo. (P)
Noakhali (Hatia): æk zôn mainsher duiđa hola asilo. (P)
Noakhali (Ramganj): ek zôner dui hut asilo. (P)
Sylhet: beṭa gur dugu fua asil. (M)
Chittagong: ugga mainshôr dugga fua asil. (P)

South Bengal dialects
Chuadanga : æk jon lokir duiţo seile silo. (M)
Khulna: æk zon manshir dui soal silo. (P)
Jessore: æk zoner duđe soal sêlo. (P)
Barisal (Bakerganj): æk zôn mansher dugga pola asil. (P)
Faridpur: kero mansher dugga pola silo. (P)
Satkhira: æk loker duđi sabal selo.
Kushtia: æk mansher duđi seile silo.

North Bengal dialects

Dinajpur: æk manusher dui chhaoa chhilô (P)
Pabna: kono mansher dui chhaoal chhilô. (P)
Bogra: æk jôn mansher dui chhara chhoul chhilô. (P)
East Malda: æk jhôn manuser duţa bêţa achhlô. (P)
Rangpur: æk zon mansher duikna bêţa asilo. (P)
Rajshahi: æk loker duida bæta chhilo. (P)

Western Border dialects

Manbhumi: ek loker duţa beţa chhilô. (M)
East Medinipur: gote loker duta toka thailo. (P)
The latter two, along with Kharia Thar and Mal Paharia, are closely related to Western Bengali dialects, but are typically classified as separate languages. Similarly, Rajbangsi and Hajong are considered separate languages, although they are very similar to North Bengali dialects. There are many more minor dialects as well, including those spoken in the bordering districts of Purnea and Singhbhum and among the tribals of the eastern Bangladesh like the Hajong and the Chakma.

Closely related languages
Assamese: ezôn manuhôr duta putek asil.
Hajong: ek zôn manôlôg duida pôla thakibar.
Chakma: ek jônôtun diba poa el.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old April 8, 2018, 09:12 PM
bujhee kom's Avatar
bujhee kom bujhee kom is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 27, 2007
Location: Dhaka Mental Hospital
Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello
Posts: 25,000

^^^yankees uncle....daroon...oshadhoron research and find!!!
__________________
God bless Ingrid Newkirk, Dianne Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand & Mitch Landrieu!
twitter.com/bujheekom
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old April 8, 2018, 09:16 PM
bujhee kom's Avatar
bujhee kom bujhee kom is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 27, 2007
Location: Dhaka Mental Hospital
Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello
Posts: 25,000

Mufti...give me a few minutes, I will come back and explain the origin of the word paikhana...I have a few ideas
__________________
God bless Ingrid Newkirk, Dianne Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand & Mitch Landrieu!
twitter.com/bujheekom
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old April 9, 2018, 02:08 PM
One World One World is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: May 18, 2005
Location: New England
Favorite Player: Mominul Haque
Posts: 20,595

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
...
But let’s say paikhana will be pronounced as faikhhhana. The kh is also emphasized a bit more......
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant
__________________
元気
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket