facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 15, 2015, 04:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim
Default First cricket club in East Bengal

১৮৮০-এর দশকে পূর্ব বাংলার তরুণেরা প্রথম পেশাদার ক্রিকেট দল গঠন করে ইংরেজ টিমকে চ্যালেঞ্জ জানিয়ে হারিয়েছিল। বাংলা সিনেমার নায়কের মাথায় যেমন বাড়ি না পড়লে হারানো স্মৃতি মনে পড়ে না, তেমনি ধাক্কা খেয়েই আমাদেরও মনে পড়েছে: পূর্ব বাংলার এক মফস্বলী যুবক ছিলেন ভারতবর্ষীয় ক্রিকেটের জনক! উপমহাদেশে ক্রিকেট ও জাতীয়তাবাদের রাখিবন্ধন ঘটিয়েছিলেন কিশোরগঞ্জের জমিদারপুত্র সারদারঞ্জন রায়চৌধুরী—সত্যজি রায়ের প্রপিতামহ, সুকুমার রায়ের বাবা উপেন্দ্রকিশোর রায়চৌধুরীর বড় ভাই। সিপাহি বিদ্রোহ বা প্রথম ভারতীয় স্বাধীনতাযুদ্ধের পরাজয়ের অন্ধকারে ভারতবাসী মুষড়ে পড়েছিল। গায়ের বল তো চূর্ণই, মনের বলও তলানিতে। সে সময় সারদারঞ্জন কিশোরগঞ্জ থেকে পড়তে এসে ভাইদের নিয়ে বানিয়ে ফেললেন ঢাকা কলেজকেন্দ্রিক ঢাকা ক্রিকেট ক্লাব। তাঁর দল বেশ কয়েকবার ব্রিটিশদের হারিয়েছিল। ১৮৫৭ সালের পর প্রথম খেলার মাঠেই নতুন বাঙালি মধ্যবিত্ত জাতীয় ঐক্য অনুভব করতে পেরেছিল। একে আধুনিক জাতীয়তাবাদের অসচেতন সূচনাও বলা যায়।

http://www.prothom-alo.com/opinion/a...A6%A8%E0%A6%BE

Old March 15, 2015, 04:12 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: will let you know after

Translation would be interesting to read...If its possible
Old March 15, 2015, 04:13 PM
First Class Cricketer

Niaz Ahmed, the only Erstwhile East Pakistani who played Test for Pakistan. Of course Raquibul Hasan played Test for Pakistan against New Zealand, but he played as 12th man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niaz_Ahmed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raqibul...,_born_1953%29
Old March 15, 2015, 04:17 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ So, basically no Bangali ever played for Pakistan? Niaz Ahmed was born in India (Benares) and have died in Pakistan.
Old March 15, 2015, 04:36 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
^^ So, basically no Bangali ever played for Pakistan? Niaz Ahmed was born in India (Benares) and have died in Pakistan.
Raquibul Hasan Played for Pakistan Test team, but as a 12th man. He played for Pakistan national team against Commonwealth XI. He also played First class match against New Zealand and scored 50. Ashraful was also included in the Pakistan Team to tour Sri Lanka, but the our liberation war started before the tour.

As far I know the following players were considered for the Pakistan Test team:

Hira, Latif, Daulatuzzaman, Saifuddin Manik (Later he became a leader of the Comminust Party), and Bakul.

I heard from my father that Bakul used to play for Eaglets Cricket Club and was the best wicket keeper that time, but the chief selector Hafiz Kardar was reluctant to take any Bengali player.

Another palyer Rauf Ansari probably played for Pakistan. He was a West Pakistani, but used to live in Dhaka for his father's job.

In 1970 Jahangir Shah Badshah also impressed the selectors by his great performance in the national championship. He took the wickets of several Test players including Asif Iqbal.
Old March 15, 2015, 05:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejkuni
Raquibul Hasan Played for Pakistan Test team, but as a 12th man. He played for Pakistan national team against Commonwealth XI. He also played First class match against New Zealand and scored 50. Ashraful was also included in the Pakistan Team to tour Sri Lanka, but the our liberation war started before the tour.

As far I know the following players were considered for the Pakistan Test team:

Hira, Latif, Daulatuzzaman, Saifuddin Manik (Later he became a leader of the Comminust Party), and Bakul.

I heard from my father that Bakul used to play for Eaglets Cricket Club and was the best wicket keeper that time, but the chief selector Hafiz Kardar was reluctant to take any Bengali player.

Another palyer Rauf Ansari probably played for Pakistan. He was a West Pakistani, but used to live in Dhaka for his father's job.

In 1970 Jahangir Shah Badshah also impressed the selectors by his great performance in the national championship. He took the wickets of several Test players including Asif Iqbal.
Fact remains, none ever played in Paistan Team, I won't count the 12th man as a consolation prize. That off course doesn't mean that we couldn't play cricket; like every other profession, west Pakistani discrimination existed everywhere at every level. That discrimination was deep rooted, starting with facilities, funding, encouragement to selection/employment.

Even in current Pakistan, the Punjabis dominate & are priviledged, Sindhi has been able to take the nest biggest share because of strong political base of PPP. The rest are second class citizens in their own country.

Being seperated from Pakistan was the best thing that happened to us. Waiting for the day, we beat them regularly in cricket too.
Old March 15, 2015, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Fact remains, none ever played in Paistan Team, I won't count the 12th man as a consolation prize. That off course doesn't mean that we couldn't play cricket; like every other profession, west Pakistani discrimination existed everywhere at every level. That discrimination was deep rooted, starting with facilities, funding, encouragement to selection/employment.

Even in current Pakistan, the Punjabis dominate & are priviledged, Sindhi has been able to take the nest biggest share because of strong political base of PPP. The rest are second class citizens in their own country.

Being seperated from Pakistan was the best thing that happened to us. Waiting for the day, we beat them regularly in cricket too.
+1. Second, every thing you said. Top post.
Old March 15, 2015, 05:09 PM
Cricket Guru

^^Well said BANFAN
Old March 15, 2015, 05:22 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN

Well said. I agree completely.
Old March 15, 2015, 07:28 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee and Enamul jr

I don't know why we try to put Pak down all the time. They have done what they have done, by this we are doing what they did to us prior 71.As Bangladeshi I don't care about Pak. We need show them by action that we more capable than them. Not by teasing and putting them down. We will not achieve much by behaving like them
Old March 15, 2015, 09:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy
I don't know why we try to put Pak down all the time. They have done what they have done, by this we are doing what they did to us prior 71.As Bangladeshi I don't care about Pak. We need show them by action that we more capable than them. Not by teasing and putting them down. We will not achieve much by behaving like them
He wasn't bullying. he just reiterated the history and many of us need to be reminded from time to time.

Top post BANFAN
Old March 15, 2015, 09:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Not sure how BANFAN "put down" Pakistanis there. He just stated some facts. And by doing so, I don't even vaguely see how we're "doing what they did to us prior 71". How exactly are we blatantly discriminating against them in every regard, as we were subjected to, by recalling their discriminatory actions?
Old March 16, 2015, 10:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
ভাই পুর্ব পাকিস্তান নিয়ে যখন আলাপ হয়, তখন আমার এমন কোন কিছু জানা নাই যা পাকিস্তানকে গৌরবান্বিত করে। আপনার জানা থাকলে বলেন না, আমি অবশ্যই জানতে চাই।

যাদের পছন্দ হয়েছে এবং ব্যক্ত করেছেন, তাদেরকে ধন্যবাদ।