facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 28, 2010, 03:15 PM

Default Indian lad smashes 498 off 490 balls

Quote:
A 13-year-old Indian cricketer has smashed 498 runs off 490 balls in a match in Mumbai to claim the national record for the highest score by a school boy.

Armaan Jaffer, nephew of former Indian Test opener Wasim Jaffer, achieved the feat in an under-14 Giles Shield match while playing for Rizvi Springfield School against IES Raja Shivaji Vidyalaya.

His marathon two-day innings, which finished on Wednesday, beat the previous leading individual score of 461 in Indian school cricket, set recently by Nagpur boy Ali Zorain Khan.

"I had decided not to play any aerial shots,'' Armaan told the Hindustan Times.

"I knew as long as I occupy the crease, the runs will keep flowing. It would have been better if I had got 500, but there is no grudge.''

Jaffer cracked 77 fours in his eight-and-a-half-hour innings

His uncle, Wasim, scored 1,944 runs in 31 Tests with five centuries before playing his last match in 2000.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cr...-1225975725396

Congratulations to the kid. What's most important is that the School's cricket is a 3-day match, and he built his innings there as a 13 year old. Amazing temperament and concentration required for doing that over two days at that age!

And we Bangladeshis wonder why we have batting collapses in Tests!
Old December 28, 2010, 04:06 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Well done little Master..Another Tendulkar coming up??? You never know...
Old December 28, 2010, 08:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

vinod kambli....

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 28, 2010, 08:08 PM
Cricket Sage

funny thing is every couple of years some toddler from India smashes 350 runs not out from 120 balls in a 50 overs game...this happens all the time. couple years ago it was some kid named jamal ahmad or something. today its armaan jaffer. and they're always something crazy. yet none of these kids pan out...makes you wonder if these stats are real and true. could be sensationalized reporting cuz we see whats happening in Durban right now.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 29, 2010, 01:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
funny thing is every couple of years some toddler from India smashes 350 runs not out from 120 balls in a 50 overs game...this happens all the time. couple years ago it was some kid named jamal ahmad or something. today its armaan jaffer. and they're always something crazy. yet none of these kids pan out...makes you wonder if these stats are real and true. could be sensationalized reporting cuz we see whats happening in Durban right now.
Happens all the time, eh?

No, not all the time. Tendulkar and Kambli had a world record partnership. Then such a thing had happened one more time and this one now. Both Tendulkar and Kambli went on to to play International cricket (and did well) and the other kid is still too young. This one also will take a few years. Take it easy mate.

And what is happening in Durban? It's a nice match going on. You dont like closely contested tests? And what does that have to do with this kid scoring some good runs?
Old December 29, 2010, 01:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer

No, not all the time. Tendulkar and Kambli had a world record partnership. Then such a thing had happened one more time and this one now. Both Tendulkar and Kambli went on to to play International cricket (and did well) and the other kid is still too young. This one also will take a few years. Take it easy mate.

And what is happening in Durban? It's a nice match going on. You dont like closely contested tests? And what does that have to do with this kid scoring some good runs?
Gotta agree with that.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old December 29, 2010, 02:01 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:

i dont know what happened to kambli..his start to his career was outstanding!..hell he had 2 double tons before tendulker had one!..and his Avg in test cricket ended at 52!..why wasn't he given more chances is beyond my thinking..another one is brad hodge..his avg in test cricket is 55 and still no chance for him in the aus team that also with aussies struggling..
Old December 29, 2010, 02:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
i dont know what happened to kambli..his start to his career was outstanding!..hell he had 2 double tons before tendulker had one!..and his Avg in test cricket ended at 52!..why wasn't he given more chances is beyond my thinking..another one is brad hodge..his avg in test cricket is 55 and still no chance for him in the aus team that also with aussies struggling..
Kambli went into a self destruction mode. Could not handle the fame basically. The indiscipline was not appreciated by the selectors and Kambli went on slipping past the no return point. Later in an interview he admitted that it was all his fault. He even blamed Tendulkar for not using his influence to get him back in the team and for not stopping him when he was self destructing. It created quite a controversy back then, but Tendulkar refused to give a statement in the media. He met him personally and resolved the issue and then Kambli issued a public apology for saying such things in the media.
Old January 8, 2011, 03:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

umm DaJuan Wagner scored 100 points in a high school game, played a year of college ball in Memphis, and was a lotter pick by the Cavs. do you know where he is now? last time anyone heard he was playing in some league in Poland. yes the former eastern bloc.

so things like that happen all the time.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 13, 2011, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:

so things like that happen all the time.
I am interested in your definition of the phrase "all the time".
Old December 29, 2010, 02:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Good post. Now from the top of my head I can't pinpoint the exact info. of all these wunderkind who took the kindergarten by storm but we heard these type of story many times who failed to break into international arena.

Yes, I don't mean to take anything away from him. Kudos. But results like this don't mean anything unless one bursts into the 'real' scene.

Only thing I'd disagree with AF bhai is that I don't think they are sensationalized.

Last edited by Zeeshan; December 29, 2010 at 02:20 AM..
Old December 29, 2010, 11:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
This is a poor post objectively and vague one at best. I don't recall "every couple of years some toddler from India smashes 350 runs not out from 120 balls in a 50 overs game". Any proof or purely a fiction of imagination?

Yes, there was a kid in news recently before this 498. But that kid he is still a kid, if i remember correctly. And who else was ever in news from India for the so called "350 runs not out from 120 balls in a 50 overs game"? Anything even close?

"yet none of these kids pan out...makes you wonder if these stats are real and true."

I know atleast 2 kids who made it big as a kid and panned out. So how can you claim "yet none of these kids pan out"?

These kids may or may not make it big. But to dismiss them in this manner is an insult to their feat. No, it doesn't happen all the time, not to my knowledge, or to the knowledge of anyone i know of. And i do have fair interest in what happens in India. Any 13 year old who can score 498 deserves his moment in the sun, whether or not he goes on to climb the everest.
Old January 1, 2011, 06:31 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
These kids may or may not make it big. But to dismiss them in this manner is an insult to their feat. No, it doesn't happen all the time, not to my knowledge, or to the knowledge of anyone i know of. And i do have fair interest in what happens in India. Any 13 year old who can score 498 deserves his moment in the sun, whether or not he goes on to climb the everest.
Well said.
Old January 5, 2011, 02:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Yes, there was a kid in news recently before this 498. But that kid he is still a kid, if i remember correctly. And who else was ever in news from India for the so called "350 runs not out from 120 balls in a 50 overs game"? Anything even close?
Then the guy who holds the current record of 461. Ali Zorain Khan. Where is he now, any idea?

Quote:
His marathon two-day innings, which finished on Wednesday, beat the previous leading individual score of 461 in Indian school cricket, set recently by Nagpur boy Ali Zorain Khan.
Old January 13, 2011, 03:56 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Agreed. 498 is an enormous score at any level of cricket.... even if a batter could get 4 runs every ball it would still require 20 overs!

you can argue about the skill level of the opposition bowlers but you cannot take away the exemplary amount of concentration, desire and fitness he must possess to achieve such a score out in the sun.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

I wonder what was the total score by his team.
Old December 28, 2010, 10:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

amader school e ek chele ekbar 23 ball e 100 marsilo ...... ...... erpor school er nirmal team er 12th man hisebe chance paisilo .... ...
Old December 29, 2010, 02:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Let me guess, kambli said it in the indian version of 'Moment of Truth' in front of a lie detector, right?
Old December 29, 2010, 02:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Congrats to the boy. Its a big feat no doubt.
Old January 1, 2011, 06:49 PM
Cricket Legend

wow amazing. may god make him another tendulkar

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)
Old January 13, 2011, 04:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Scoring so many runs needs huge concentration. It is a great achievement.

Whether or not those kids succeed in international cricket depends on many aspects, not only his talent. Being disciplined in life, getting the proper opportunity, playing the right innings at the right time are some examples. Not being successful afterwards does not demean his achievement. All the best to Jaffer.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:00 AM
Cricket Legend

How do these freakish Indian kids get trained in batting? That's astonishing. Only there do you find batsmen scoring triple centuries from the age of 12.
Old January 15, 2011, 02:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Daaamnation! The little dude misseed those 2 runs! I can't believe it!!
Old January 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Money involved?